The Bristol Nest

Manchester City Match Thread

2 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

Yep....I wholly concur.....If you continue to put inferior chicken wire up instead of just spending a few pennies more on solid chain link fencing to protect your hen stock from that  premiership sly & wily old fox, he will continually keep forcing his way into attack your hens.....

A good Norfolk analogy there Mello!

3 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Do you honestly believe that the result in the first two games would have been different if Skipp was playing for us?

Yes I do. I think he was invaluable at making us much harder to beat. It’s no coincidence our defence magically improved after we signed him and now looks tinpot after he left 

35 minutes ago, CDMullins said:

No, not at all.

They always demand the most.

They've had some truly shocking owners.

So that fans' attitude is irrelevant then

Glad we've cleared that one up 👍

10 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Not misquoting you at all. Just your opinion that its more about who you play. Mine is about how we play whoever the opposition.

Its only a portion of Norwich supporters who don't think we will be relegated.

And who are we getting in the transfer window? A reserve full back?

Unless I’ve completely forgotten something I said, I haven’t mentioned anywhere it’s more about who we play???

I said we have a way of playing and it’s been successful in the PL. Its how we played in the championship and won, it’s how we played 2 season ago in the PL with some decent results and it’s how we’ve played in the last 2 games. Today was awful and to not adjust when plan a wasn’t working time and time again was clearly a mistake.

But we will continue to play this way and get some success. For those writing the season off already is where I have an issue. 

We’re reliably informed we’re after Normann and Farke has mentioned a DM. It’s a wait and see from me, not a “aaarergghhh useless Norwich not sorting our defensive issues out, we’re doomed, panic!!!!”

Edited by Fiery Zac

Despite their superiority both Liverpool and Man City played a DM against us; Milner and Gundolan respectively. Both were booked for hefty challenges. We simply have to get a player like that and get stuck in, far too easy for Man City today.

• Like 1

On the bright side we're not getting thrashed by one of the **** teams in the league like Watford currently are.... 

12 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Not misquoting you at all. Just your opinion that its more about who you play. Mine is about how we play whoever the opposition.

Its only a portion of Norwich supporters who don't think we will be relegated.

And who are we getting in the transfer window? A reserve full back?

You had me worried I was losing my marbles.

You have absolutely misquoted me and made me sound like I’m happy to lose against the top teams - this is wrong. I mentioned that we need to remember our disrupted pre season, new signings and that the first two games were Liverpool and Man City. At no point is that saying it’s ‘more about who you play’. That comment is simply another reason why this is absolutely no time to panic and condemn ourselves to relegation and a long season ahead, as many have done on this thread.

2 minutes ago, Fiery Zac said:

Unless I’ve completely forgotten something I said, I haven’t mentioned anywhere it’s more about who we play???

I said we have a way of playing and it’s been successful in the PL. Its how we played in the championship and won, it’s how we played 2 season ago in the PL with some decent results and it’s how we’ve played in the last 2 games. Today was awful and to not adjust when plan a wasn’t working time and time again was clearly a mistake.

But we will continue to play this way and get some success. For those writing the season off already is where I have an issue. 

We’re reliably informed we’re after Normann and Farke has mentioned a DM. It’s a wait and see from me, not a “aaarergghhh useless Norwich not sorting our defensive issues out, we’re doomed, panic!!!!”

There are very few with that attitude either. Most posters have just posted what they saw happening today, especially after last week. Some have pointed out that we haven't adjusted. Some are concerned that we are in trouble already and yes one or two have thrown in the towel.

But the fact remains its lost two with 8 against and none for. How you take a positive out of that is bizarre.

12 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Do you honestly believe that the result in the first two games would have been different if Skipp was playing for us?

Probably not but I don’t think fans should be given stick for pointing out issues that need sorting.

im as annoyed about Farke’s continued failure to coach the defence to mark properly. 

4 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

When you say thrashed ….? 

2 down at half time and totally outplayed constitutes a thrashing so far..... 

7 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Yes I do. I think he was invaluable at making us much harder to beat. It’s no coincidence our defence magically improved after we signed him and now looks tinpot after he left 

I think you’ll find it was actually because we were magically playing Sheff Wed and Huddersfield - and not two of the worlds best teams.

7 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

On the bright side we're not getting thrashed by one of the **** teams in the league like Watford currently are.... 

paedo72 will be back on here later then.

2 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

There are very few with that attitude either. Most posters have just posted what they saw happening today, especially after last week. Some have pointed out that we haven't adjusted. Some are concerned that we are in trouble already and yes one or two have thrown in the towel.

But the fact remains its lost two with 8 against and none for. How you take a positive out of that is bizarre.

Not getting anywhere with this conversation  because again I didn’t say there was a positive from today. The overall positive is that the transfer window is open, players will get time together and each other’s ways of playing and Farkes philosophy will become embedded.

The rest of your post confirms what I was talking about in the first place…posters panic, towel throwing etc. There may have been few (though I’d say a lot more than a few) but it’s those and their opinions I was and am objecting to

20 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

I seriously doubt our goal diff would have been minus 8.

Anyone know why Giannoulis was taken off at half time?  (I'm not on social media).

Thought he was doing well first half, but Mumba looked great second half too.  Didn't notice that he took a knock or anything, so was it tactical?

3 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

Anyone know why Giannoulis was taken off at half time?  (I'm not on social media).

Thought he was doing well first half, but Mumba looked great second half too.  Didn't notice that he took a knock or anything, so was it tactical?

Farke went to town on him (and Mumba unfairly I thought) post match saying how all the goals today and last week came down his side and basically that he wasn’t doing what they had practiced.

Personally I think Farke is on thin ice tgere gifeb the tactical naivety all round today. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

He was getting skinned

30 minutes ago, kirku said:

So that fans' attitude is irrelevant then

Glad we've cleared that one up 👍

Got there in the end haven't they,

Streets infront of us and looked where we've both spent the last 20 years

8 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Farke went to town on him (and Mumba unfairly I thought) post match saying how all the goals today and last week came down his side and basically that he wasn’t doing what they had practiced.

Wow, really? Watching Watford match so not seen that.  That's really surprised me, as he looked one of our better players first half I thought.  He was being doubled up on that side, and reacting to the cards he was dealt I felt.

Have to watch the post match interview.

Edited by Google Bot

26 minutes ago, Canario said:

Its a curious one. I dont think we can play 4-2-3-1 if its gilmour and a dm. Are we now trying to play 3 cm in order to accomadate billy? We sacrifice a 10 and yet are no more solid in the centre. It could work but will take time. Im guessing the idea is lees melou breaks forward to make the 10. A slightly deeper lying stiepi? 

It's a point I touched on, we seem to be building the midfield around Gilmour. I'd rather we Stuck to the 4-2-3-1 and played a Sargent / Dowell / Tzolis further up in the 3 behind Pukki. Going to a three in midfield completely disables Pukki's game. Problem is, we don't have two CDMs capable at this level! Perhaps Sorenson is one? 

As for PLM, clearly a talented player, and early days, but I can't see what midfield role he's supposed to fill! He's not defensive enough to play as CDM, and certainly not a number 10 either. So again, is the 4-3-3 just trying to accommodate him?  Is there much difference in terms of style and ability between PLM and Vrancic 18/19? I'm not sure there is TBH. 

12 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

Wow, really? Watching Watford match so not seen that.  That's really surprised me, as he looked one of our better players first half I thought.  He was being doubled up on that side, and reacting to the cards he was dealt I felt.

Have to watch the post match interview.

I get the feeling Giannoulis is being made a bit of a scapegoat. Even last week, he was probably our best player,  but all the focus from Paddy Davitt and others was inability to defend.

It takes a lot for Farke to pull a player at half time, I hope he hasn't got his card marked and that's the last we see of him for a while. In the system Farke wants to play, Giannoulis appears perfect. Problem is, Farke can't play that system against most teams at this level, he doesn't have enough players up to the required standard to execute it. Which leaves players like Ginanoulis exposed. 

Edited by Creedence Clearwater Couto

8 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Gilmour is looking like he might be a little crap.

He's being played as a holding midfielder, which he most certainly is not.... 

Edited by Ken Hairy

4 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Gilmour is looking like he might be a little crap.

I think he's talented, but he's not yet suited to the system Farke likes to play. I mean, last season, when we're flying, you know spanking 7 past Huddersfield, where would Gilmour come into that side? 

A few points. 

. Not many teams will lose 8 nil to Liverpool / Man City this year over two games 

. Physically we are below standard and need stronger defensive players. 

.We are so used to being able to play out from the back that when we cannot we look frail . It works fantastically well in the Chumps ( we comfortably win the league) but it doesn’t work as well against a higher , more physical press. 

Survival in the Prem begins with not conceding goals. 8 in two games , against anyone , in any league , in any era , is seriously bad - and it is perfectly legitimate for any fans to say so. 

Edited by Graham Paddons Beard
  • Like 1