The Bristol Nest

Manchester City Match Thread

We need to be active in the last few days of this window. 

We have to make ourselves more obdurate, especially away from home, regardless of the opposition. Brentford ground out a point away to Palace to back up their result v Arsenal. 

We need more ball-winners centrally and if it means selling Todd or Aarons to fund them, so be it. 

I know it was Liverpool and Citeh, but we were powder puff. 

Those saying it is just like before need to wise up a bit. It isn't.

First off, last time out we didn't play this formation. We played a 4-2-3-1. Today we played a 4-3-3.

I actually think we should have stuck with 4-2-3-1 or even gone with out and out 5 across the midfield.

Back when we played them in project lockdown we we started with Zimmermann and Godfrey at CB and McLean and Rupp in the holding/defensive midfield positions. I still believe Lees-Melou is an upgrade on them and Gilmour is someone who could potentially grow more into that position.

As I said earlier, against good sides, giving them space to attack is dangerous. Even if it means they have to switch play quickly to exploit it you know that they can. And that is without de Bruyne.

I don't think there is anything wrong with going defensive against the top sides - we certainly aren't going to outplay a side that can sub a £100m player for a £70m+ player... If we can stop them, even if we can keep it to 2-0, we are doing ourselves a favour further down the line with goal difference and being able to come out of a game with some respect.

I'm hoping that we see a bit of something different Vs Bournemouth - Sargent starting at the very least, and perhaps trying a few new things in preparation for Leicester. After that we have a break which will give us time to bed in any late arrivals and sort out how we'll approach games.

I recognise Giannoulis had a poor game today, but at the same time I'm not sure he was getting a great deal of cover either. Against the best sides in this league, we simply can't try to be quicker, better and faster. We have to be a bit more Mohammed Ali and be able to close up, roll with the punches and then burst out when we can and try to hit them. Otherwise we end up looking light a featherweight up against a super heavyweight. No shame in losing to Liverpool or Man City, but the manner in which we have will not have helped the lads at all.

22 minutes ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

I'd rather cut off my penis with a rusty bread knife.

OTBC

Then beat it with a French stick?.....

Just now, Mello Yello said:

Yeah with my dominatrix lady friend, and she can give me a good whuppin' whilst I watch a good whuppin'.....

You sick man...

...wanting to watch the goals again. 😉

OTBC

8 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Which bit of '...at least...' was not sufficiently clear to you?

You were very clear but I was just pointing out you minimum guess wouldn’t really help. 

Just now, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

You sick man...

...wanting to watch the goals again. 😉

OTBC

Puts a new perspective on 'Goin' on the lash'......

3 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

Yeah with my dominatrix lady friend, and she can give me a good whuppin' whilst I watch a good whuppin'.....

You kinky sod

2 minutes ago, hogesar said:

And I can't let out my emotions when after a poor performance the SAME posters come out who disappear after a win? Who blame the fans (i.e me) ; If i react, I'm 'moderating' posts?

Just working out the double standards here.

Most are regulars who are critical tonight to be fair. 

2 minutes ago, hogesar said:

And I can't let out my emotions when after a poor performance the SAME posters come out who disappear after a win? Who blame the fans (i.e me) ; If i react, I'm 'moderating' posts?

By all means let rip/ but don’t expect your bullying tactics to silence fans who feel we are let down every time we get promoted. 

Just now, Fuzzar said:

We need to be active in the last few days of this window. 

We have to make ourselves more obdurate, especially away from home, regardless of the opposition. Brentford ground out a point away to Palace to back up their result v Arsenal. 

We need more ball-winners centrally and if it means selling Todd or Aarons to fund them, so be it. 

I know it was Liverpool and Citeh, but we were powder puff. 

Who gives a monkeys about any of the other teams at the moment? Yeah, great, Brentford have had a **** easy start all things considered. An Arsenal side that rolled over and asked for belly rubs... they offered nothing. Not real forward play, quality in the final third was atrocious. Yes, Brentford battled well through that game - great. But how many sides will face an Arsenal side that poor this season? As I said at the time, that sort of performance, from Arsenal, if continued throughout the rest of the season, makes them relegation candidates.

Palace already are relegation candidates simply for the amount of upheaval. 

1 minute ago, keelansgrandad said:

That was a long time ago. Doesn't have any relevance.

We cannot keep saying other teams are better so we should expect to lose.

Never mind, Simon Charlton or fill in nicely at centre back, or we could always move Russell Martin.🤔

How many promotions do we have to get before we make defence a necessary priority. Without Skipp the central defence is exposed. This should have been the priority to the exclusion of everything else.

2 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

That was a long time ago. Doesn't have any relevance.

We cannot keep saying other teams are better so we should expect to lose.

Of course it’s relevant - directly relevant to the point I’m making and what others are arguing about!

And stop misquoting me - absolutely nowhere did I say we should expect to lose as other teams are better.

That’s the way we play, it’s the way we beat Man City two years ago, and it’s part of the reason we lost so heavily today. But to dismiss it and infer it’s the reason we’ll get relegated this season is just too inpatient in my opinion with the transfer window open etc etc…

Day's like today and last week make me wonder whether i can be bothered with Premier League football.

Sad i know but its nowhere near a level playing field anymore.

And to think a few big clubs like these thought they could pull the rug away from most of the rest of the PL clubs.

23 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

I now understand why Pep likes Farke so much... 

Both David Hasseloff fans.....

1 minute ago, chicken said:

Who gives a monkeys about any of the other teams at the moment? Yeah, great, Brentford have had a **** easy start all things considered. An Arsenal side that rolled over and asked for belly rubs... they offered nothing. Not real forward play, quality in the final third was atrocious. Yes, Brentford battled well through that game - great. But how many sides will face an Arsenal side that poor this season? As I said at the time, that sort of performance, from Arsenal, if continued throughout the rest of the season, makes them relegation candidates.

Palace already are relegation candidates simply for the amount of upheaval. 

I definitely give a monkey's about the results of teams we're competing with at the foot of the table. 

24 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Part of the problem is that our nice fans make it too easy for the board- they have cultured a lack of ambition and a feeling we are lucky just to play in the division -

I'm struggling with this Bootsie. Are you part of the problem? Or are you doing something us lesser fans should aspire to? If so what?

5 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

You were very clear but I was just pointing out you minimum guess wouldn’t really help. 

It wasn't a guess.

2 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Never mind, Simon Charlton or fill in nicely at centre back, or we could always move Russell Martin.🤔

How many promotions do we have to get before we make defence a necessary priority. Without Skipp the central defence is exposed. This should have been the priority to the exclusion of everything else.

This^^^ 

In all previous promotions the obvious gaps don’t get addressed until it is too late because we are buying in the bargain bucket and take what we can..lack of investment fails us every single time. Hence needed to sell our best player this time 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Fuzzar said:

I definitely give a monkey's about the results of teams we're competing with at the foot of the table. 

It's two games in, we don't know who we'll be competing with at the foot of the table yet. And they are not comparable teams. One of them was against a side we'd hope to get points off.

Liverpool and Man City will have eyes on the title and the champions league title this season. 

1 minute ago, nutty nigel said:

I'm struggling with this Bootsie. Are you part of the problem? Or are you doing something us lesser fans should aspire to? If so what?

Not knocking all of them - just sick of that little old Norwich attitude where some clap no matter what and hammer aby who dare question 

2 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Not knocking all of them - just sick of that little old Norwich attitude where some clap no matter what and hammer aby who dare question 

So what do you do that they should copy?

Edited by nutty nigel

1 minute ago, chicken said:

It's two games in, we don't know who we'll be competing with at the foot of the table yet. And they are not comparable teams. One of them was against a side we'd hope to get points off.

Liverpool and Man City will have eyes on the title and the champions league title this season. 

I’m struggling to see where a goal is coming from - let alone a win. Do you see us beating Leicester or arsenal on that performance? Lose to them and Watford abd we will be rooted before we know it 

8 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Plenty of double standards, Hoggy 👍.  Out of reactions, but as far as I can see all of your comments have been either balanced, truthful, or both, as ever 👍

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, duke63 said:

Day's like today and last week make me wonder whether i can be bothered with Premier League football.

Sad i know but its nowhere near a level playing field anymore.

And to think a few big clubs like these thought they could pull the rug away from most of the rest of the PL clubs.

Modern football really is awful when it comes to the gap between the top and bottom teams. Really really is getting wider and wider every season. Soon spending 100 million on top players will just be the norm for all top ten teams while everyone else has to just try and grab whatever they can for peanuts

Not sure i agree modern football is awful but the gap between the top few clubs and everyone else is huge and get bigger every year.

Grealish probably earns as much in a week as our first eleven added together.