The Bristol Nest

Manchester City Match Thread

5 minutes ago, kirku said:

I can tell you one thing, Brentford wouldn't be 2-0 down to this lot at halftime. Embarrassing.

You're being deliberately obtuse here and greatly over exaggerating what people who are disappointed by this showing expected. I think you know damn well that it was the performance overall that was disappointing, if you're actually watching the game you can see we are getting absolutely toyed with and we look completely out of our depth regardless of the score.

The point is those other teams wouldn't be getting outplayed this badly even if they were 2 or even 3 down, they wouldn't be trying to play slow passes around their own penalty box and when they lost the ball they would actually show some desire and effort to get back and defend. I'm disappointed with our mentality and work rate today just as much as I can't work out what we're trying to do tactically. I think even with what we've got we should be making the game a lot harder for them because right now it looks like an under 18's side playing a premier league team and that's not good enough, we shouldn't be that far out of our depth.

Edited by Christoph Stiepermann

1 minute ago, kirku said:

Using anecdotes from a game you've partially watched probably isn't the soundest basis for criticism, even by forum standards

I missed about 2 minutes I reckon.  I'm satisfied I don't need your approval.  Have a pleasant day.

4 minutes ago, WD40 said:

What about this performance looks premier league?

What does Premier League mean in this context?

I'll give you a clue - nothing

Exactly for games like this, is why I've been saying that we need 2 defensive midfielders.  Farke just "HOPING" that we get 1.  I'm hope that's a bluff from Farke and that he can see what is seemingly blatantly staring us in the face.

Having said that, today's result won't define our season.  We need to finish above 3 teams come the end of it.

don't think we should play 433 against the top6 on what we have seen so far.  We don't dominate possession and we asking rashica, cantwell to track back. the front three are dragging the full backs too narrow, and there always seems to be an overload on one of the flanks. They switch the ball to whatever flank has someone in space. 

We should play the back3 and allow the fullbacks to defend wide with the 3 CB's playing against their front 3 when they come narrow. 

Edited by Baracouda

1 minute ago, Orly said:

I missed about 2 minutes I reckon.  I'm satisfied I don't need your approval.  Have a pleasant day.

That's strange, because us "crossing the halfway line" certainly didn't happen in a 2 minute period

7 minutes ago, Badger said:

Being honest though DCB, you are always miserable 😁

I don't know, he seems pretty happy now 😁

• Haha 1

We have to ditch the flat three man midfield. Also I'm sorry but Billy elliot looks like a child and has no presence. 

Malou and Rupp, bring on dowell behind pukki. 

Oh and get pukki off for sergeant. 

28 minutes ago, 1902 said:

Webber knows that we need defensive reinforcement, Farke knows that we need it, I know it, you know it. I'm 90% sure it will come before the end of the window.

Not good enough. Should have been here weeks ago. 

12 minutes ago, norfolkbroadslim said:

Anyone know what Rupp has got on Farke?

His collection of David Hasselhoff albums?......

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

But for today's game......"chill the f*<k out and endure the ride".....

😂😂😂

Why has the previous 4-2-3-1 formation been given up in preference to 4-3-3? It just leaves pukki ploughing a very lonely and unsuccessful furrow. If the wingers brought in are more crossers, bring on Sargent! If Sorenson can't get on if this is what Rupp offers........long season ahead. 

3 minutes ago, kirku said:

You mean like when we beat them last time? 

I’m talking about these first two games, this season. But no that’s asking far too much.

I’d just like us to not play completely into their hands and give them an absolute stroll in the park. We weren’t too bad against Liverpool overall but they still barely had to break a sweat to beat us, Man City are probably having as easy an afternoon as it gets!

Again I appreciate a lot of that is it do with an absolute chasm of quality from top to bottom in the PL, but it would still be good to see us scrapping for our lives just a little bit more.

Hopefully we can keep it down to 2 or 3 and save it ending up as a bit of a humiliation, it seems as though Man City could take it up a notch or two at any second though!

The point is, we were always 90% likely to lose this game, however it played out….as will nearly everyone who plays there this season.

I think the main thing we hoped for was to come out having put up a decent show of ourselves, despite the likely defeat.  I’m not sure we can say that we have managed it yet.  Hopefully we will up our game and show we belong in the second half - even if we do fall further behind in doing so.  

2 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Leicester up next. What fun…

A team who we beat 1-0 ‘last time out’ 

1 minute ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Mumba on? 

Interesting one. Aarons did not look injured.. If anything he looked a mixture of annoyed and lookig like he would rather be playing for anyone but us

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

Just think we need to see a bit more from our more creative players when they have the ball and give it another 15 mins after the break then make a change if the pattern stays the same.

4 minutes ago, kirku said:

What does Premier League mean in this context?

I'll give you a clue - nothing

The league we are competing in…for points…and if you don’t get enough then you go down to a lower league. The aim is to get as many points as possible. 

36 minutes ago, fredherring said:

Sixty million spent and we look worse than two years ago. 

Midfield didn't work against Liverpool, and so he does it again. 

I'm going to say it, after three years of loving farke, I don't think he isn't good enough to manage at the top level.

Ten games of this and he has to go. 

You sir are everything that is wrong with football fans. We have been absolutely shocking but suggesting getting rid of Farke is such a stupid knee-jerk reaction, I'm more upset with myself for rising to it to be honest.

Just now, Hank shoots Skyler said:

I’m talking about these first two games, this season. But no that’s asking far too much.

I’d just like us to not play completely into their hands and give them an absolute stroll in the park. We weren’t too bad against Liverpool overall but they still barely had to break a sweat to beat us, Man City are probably having as easy an afternoon as it gets!

Again I appreciate a lot of that is it do with an absolute chasm of quality from top to bottom in the PL, but it would still be good to see us scrapping for our lives just a little bit more.

Hopefully we can keep it down to 2 or 3 and save it ending up as a bit of a humiliation, it seems as though Man City could take it up a notch or two at any second though!

It's 1.5 games then.

I'd venture you are asking a bit too much then, especially given the state of our pre season

30 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

For all the talk of lessons learned it's very clear that we haven't learned a damn thing. I know it's Man City but they wouldn't be doing this to Watford/Brentford/Brighton etc. 

We're still trying to tippy tap it around our own penalty box, still not getting back to defend counter attacks, still getting skinned after leaving our FB exposed, still leaving Pukki alone and isolated. Just so poor, why we didn't play Sargent so we had an out ball I have no idea. 

Yeah, Watford have a really good recent record against Man City 

image.png.4b0266c70cd73fecd3ae76d2d71d061e.png 

• Like 1

Just now, All the Germans said:

You sir are everything that is wrong with football fans. We have been absolutely shocking but suggesting getting rid of Farke is such a stupid knee-jerk reaction, I'm more upset with myself for rising to it to be honest.

Always get one unfortunately best to ignore rather than ridicule as that’s what they want