Sign in to follow this  
East Rider

Martin v Martin

4 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

Except that, and this is a very broad generalisation, the best managers tend to be the less talented players, and really great players tend to make lousy managers. Partly because the less talented players have to work at the game and think about it more than those for whom it all comes naturally. And defenders and midfielders, who have to think tactically, tend to make better managers than pure forwards.

Look at the list of NCFC managers going back to the 1960s. The great majority of our managers - including the successful ones - were workaday players. The only one there with a load of international caps was Martin O'Neill, for Northern Ireland. And that applies right up to today. Ron Saunders had a nondescript playing career. So did Stringer, Ken Brown, and Walker, and Neil, and Farke.

Pep is the best manager in the world. He wasn't a bad player.

4 minutes ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

Pep is the best manager in the world. He wasn't a bad player.

"this is a very broad generalisation, the best managers tend to be..."

5 hours ago, cornish sam said:

Have you forgotten about that one a few years ago? He had a few caps for Scotland and apparently he won the champions League...or at least I think he mentioned it once...

Generally I agree with you though. The great players who become good managers are always those that work exceptionally hard on their game as well (like beckenbauer), oddly enough for this reason I could see ronaldo (Christiano) being a good manager of he so chose...

Sorry, cornish, you have to give me a few more clues...🤩