Sign in to follow this  
East Rider

Martin v Martin

7 minutes ago, East Rider said:

Good result (away) tonight for one of our future managers? Not quite as good for one of our former forwards.

Yep pleased for Russ, think he’s got a pretty tough gig there compared to the squad that was available last season. 10 yellow cards last time I looked in that game too, got to love the Championship! 

29 minutes ago, East Rider said:

Good result (away) tonight for one of our future managers? Not quite as good for one of our former forwards.

Future Manager I doubt that 

• Like 3

What's this obsession with Russell Martin and the almost desperation from some for him to be our next or a future manager?

We have Farke for the foreseeable future and if he can get us established in the Prem then I would hope we have a bit more ambition than to go for someone just cos he used to play for us. If he hadn't played for us you wouldn't even be thinking about him being a future manager 😂

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, alex_ncfc said:

What's this obsession with Russell Martin and the almost desperation from some for him to be our next or a future manager?

We have Farke for the foreseeable future and if he can get us established in the Prem then I would hope we have a bit more ambition than to go for someone just cos he used to play for us. If he hadn't played for us you wouldn't even be thinking about him being a future manager 😂

I guess it’s no different to Liverpool fans talking about Steven Gerrard becoming their manager in future, or when sections of the Arsenal support wanted Arteta. Not sure all Norwich supporters are obsessed with the idea of Russ coming back here to manage, the vast majority are very happy with who we have now, but I guess if Russ earns his stripes in the coming years and does well then it would equally be silly to dismiss him just because he used to play for us. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

I guess it’s no different to Liverpool fans talking about Steven Gerrard becoming their manager in future, or when sections of the Arsenal support wanted Arteta. Not sure all Norwich supporters are obsessed with the idea of Russ coming back here to manage, the vast majority are very happy with who we have now, but I guess if Russ earns his stripes in the coming years and does well then it would equally be silly to dismiss him just because he used to play for us. 

I think Steven Gerrard carries a little more weight in terms of experience and managerial potential than Russell Martin - it is totally different. I see Russell Martin as nothing other than a very average player for us who was here way longer than he should have been. Thank goodness Farke saw sense - after 2 or 3 games he had seen enough. It's not just on here, it's people on Twitter too making out that he would be ideal to replace Farke - why? He's achieved nothing.

I'd be massively underwhelmed if we ended up appointing him at some point. It'd be as if we've learnt nothing from Gunn, Grant, Adams...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, alex_ncfc said:

I think Steven Gerrard carries a little more weight in terms of experience and managerial potential than Russell Martin - it is totally different. I see Russell Martin as nothing other than a very average player for us who was here way longer than he should have been. Thank goodness Farke saw sense - after 2 or 3 games he had seen enough. It's not just on here, it's people on Twitter too making out that he would be ideal to replace Farke - why? He's achieved nothing.

I'd be massively underwhelmed if we ended up appointing him at some point. It'd be as if we've learnt nothing from Gunn, Grant, Adams...

I can understand what you’re saying, obviously if we appointed Russ tomorrow I think there’d be a lot of raised eyebrows to say the least as he’s not done enough yet, not to mention we have a great manager here already! But I’m guessing those that would like to see Russell Martin as a future manager here, and by that I mean a manager here in several years time, do so with the condition that he’s proved himself elsewhere rather than just being a sentimental appointment. As it happens, I believe there’s plenty of Rangers fans that want Gerrard gone right now so wouldn’t be surprised if the red half of Merseyside maybe having a rethink themselves! 

He’s learning  his trade but has many qualities to be a good manager, I hope he is successful and if he is I would welcome him .

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Vazzza said:

He sets his teams up to play possession based passing football, could do worse 

Yep, and let’s say, hypothetically, this takes him a long way, then once proven I don’t really see how anyone can fairly dismiss him as a future manager if he’s doing really well playing great football - obviously, if it’s not working out then that’s another matter, but time will tell! Gunn and Adams are with respect to the poster that mentioned it not fair comparisons as they were both completely unproven in senior management, but if Russ does the business in the coming years playing attractive football and getting results then he might just get his shot in future and then it’s a case of ‘Why not?’ (though I hope Farke becomes our Sir Alex Ferguson of course!).

Edited by Alex Moss
  • Like 2

But why if he is successful enough with Swansea to then be attractive to Norwich would the Norwich job be a step up for him? We are very similar sized clubs after all…

Edited by Surfer

8 hours ago, alex_ncfc said:

Except that, and this is a very broad generalisation, the best managers tend to be the less talented players, and really great players tend to make lousy managers. Partly because the less talented players have to work at the game and think about it more than those for whom it all comes naturally. And defenders and midfielders, who have to think tactically, tend to make better managers than pure forwards.

Look at the list of NCFC managers going back to the 1960s. The great majority of our managers - including the successful ones - were workaday players. The only one there with a load of international caps was Martin O'Neill, for Northern Ireland. And that applies right up to today. Ron Saunders had a nondescript playing career. So did Stringer, Ken Brown, and Walker, and Neil, and Farke.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Except that, and this is a very broad generalisation, the best managers tend to be the less talented players, and really great players tend to make lousy managers. Partly because the less talented players have to work at the game and think about it more than those for whom it all comes naturally. And defenders and midfielders, who have to think tactically, tend to make better managers than pure forwards.

Look at the list of NCFC managers going back to the 1960s. The great majority of our managers - including the successful ones - were workaday players. The only one there with a load of international caps was Martin O'Neill, for Northern Ireland. And that applies right up to today. Ron Saunders had a nondescript playing career. So did Stringer, Ken Brown, and Walker, and Neil, and Farke.

Mourinho and Wenger weren't great players either. You don't have to be good at something to teach others to do it 

It is bizarre that the anti Russell Martin people still find reasons to be angry with him. The poster only postulated the possibility that he may manage us one day. It wasn't stated as fact!

6 minutes ago, The Bristol Nest said:

It is bizarre that the anti Russell Martin people still find reasons to be angry with him. The poster only postulated the possibility that he may manage us one day. It wasn't stated as fact!

Ha, ha. Yes indeed. 

In fact being honest, if he did become our manager (once he has proven himself elsewhere and not next week obviously) I would be equally surprised and pleased for him. It would represent an incredible achievement in management (for R Martin).

His 'brand' of playing appears successful with a good mix, similar to ours. The club will be keeping tabs on people like him, of that have no doubt. However, I will not comment further as to do so would make me obsessed, like the rest of you. 

16 minutes ago, The Bristol Nest said:

3 minutes ago, East Rider said:

Ha, ha. Yes indeed. 

In fact being honest, if he did become our manager (once he has proven himself elsewhere and not next week obviously) I would be equally surprised and pleased for him. It would represent an incredible achievement in management (for R Martin).

His 'brand' of playing appears successful with a good mix, similar to ours. The club will be keeping tabs on people like him, of that have no doubt. However, I will not comment further as to do so would make me obsessed, like the rest of you. 

Out of reactions but well said guys 👍

1 hour ago, PurpleCanary said:

Have you forgotten about that one a few years ago? He had a few caps for Scotland and apparently he won the champions League...or at least I think he mentioned it once...

Generally I agree with you though. The great players who become good managers are always those that work exceptionally hard on their game as well (like beckenbauer), oddly enough for this reason I could see ronaldo (Christiano) being a good manager of he so chose...

Edited by cornish sam

In coming back to Norwich he would be on a hiding to nothing as the anti-brigade would still harbour negtive thoughts about him and come out at the first sign of difficulty. Just look at the way Hughton was treated virtually from day one - some people were anti from the start so it was never going to end well.  What's the old adage......"never go back to an old love" - might apply to RM.  If he is having a successsful time as a manager, the last place he should think of coming to is us.

10 hours ago, alex_ncfc said:

The “obsession”, as you call it is, because the way he previously set MK Dons up, and is now doing with Swansea, is very similar to the way Farke has us playing.  Given that he was a key member of our team who went from League 1 to the PL and is clearly a hard-working and intelligent footballer who has a lot of affection for our club, it’s hardly surprising posters keep an eye on his managerial career. 

Whereas you seem unable to recognise that as you can’t get past the ridiculous “he was rubbish” mindset.

1 hour ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Mourinho and Wenger weren't great players either. You don't have to be good at something to teach others to do it 

image.png

Some on here seem to have forgotten that so far he has only spent 21 months in management and is only 35, on top of that was almost thrust into the role at MK by the senior club management after they sacked Tisdale.  It was not a role he was seeking at the time as he still wanted to continue playing for another season or two, that said he accepted the position and set about changing the way the club went about things.  A very good friend of mine has a son-in-law who plays for Peterborough, and both my friend and his son-in-law said MK were the best team they came up against last season.  Obviously MK and subsequently Swansea saw something in RM and some on here will know he is very articulate and intelligent, he has also passed all his coaching badges and also has a qualification in football club management as opposed to team management.  Would he be a good fit for us right now, maybe not but in a

couple of years I’m sure he will be, however, and here is the caveat, it is possible we may not be a good fit for him!!!

3 minutes ago, Ray said:

Some on here seem to have forgotten that so far he has only spent 21 months in management and is only 35, on top of that was almost thrust into the role at MK by the senior club management after they sacked Tisdale.  It was not a role he was seeking at the time as he still wanted to continue playing for another season or two, that said he accepted the position and set about changing the way the club went about things.  A very good friend of mine has a son-in-law who plays for Peterborough, and both my friend and his son-in-law said MK were the best team they came up against last season.  Obviously MK and subsequently Swansea saw something in RM and some on here will know he is very articulate and intelligent, he has also passed all his coaching badges and also has a qualification in football club management as opposed to team management.  Would he be a good fit for us right now, maybe not but in a

couple of years I’m sure he will be, however, and here is the caveat, it is possible we may not be a good fit for him!!!

Very fair post, Ray - and an interesting caveat at the end too. I hope he has a brilliant career in management too, I see no reason why anyone would wish him otherwise, top bloke.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, alex_ncfc said:

I'm not so sure about that. If you completely ignore his name and playing career, I'd say the way he operated MK Dons and now Swansea is exactly what we'd be looking for in a head coach post-Farke. 

Obviously Farke will be here for a while yet (we hope) but Martin is 35, the youngest head coach in English football, so after a few more years of experience, there's no reason why we wouldn't be looking at him if he does well at Swansea.

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man

Plus of course he is often invited on sky as a pundit and performs the role well imo.  I suspect he is invited for a reason...

12 hours ago, daly said:

Future Manager I doubt that 

Nailed on. Brought up in the Farke ways, and tries to get his teams playing out from the back, and Delia and MWJ love him. Swansea was a progressive step for him.