Canary Jedi

Sleeping … errr … I mean sitting with the enemy

Yay! I happened to be working in Macclesfield this week (for a company that’s making zero profit for vaccinating most of the world against COVID … but that’s another discussion…)

And rather than go home, I’m staying over with a mate for a couple of rounds of golf, plus something else … err what is it? … oh yes of course! The small matter of my first ever trip to the Etihad to see the mighty canaries overcome adversity 😁😁😁

Only downside is my mate is a Citeh season ticket holder and has ‘kindly’ got me a seat near him. It will be very, very interesting to watch the match and listen to the sky blue fans around me. 
Actually this is not the first time. I once stood in the Kippax in the 90s when we drew 1-1 (Dave Philips opened the scoring). It was SO HARD not to cheer. 
The great thing is you can shout  “Come on City!” and no-one will bat an eyelid 😂

So, the point of this thread? What are the standout moments when you have crossed enemy lines in order to be able to watch Norwich and did you manage to resist giving yourself away?

• Like 2

in with the Villa fans at their place, last home game of the season 1989.. 3-3.. and that also included a pitch invasion at the end of the game...

i would classify that experience as "spicy"

7 minutes ago, Canary Jedi said:

@If wed kept Howie.. Did you manage to remain anonymous?

I believe that draw cost Villa the league title right?

extremely high levels of self-discipline.. especially given we were 3 nil up i think at one stage..

i went with a friend who was a Villian  - and luckily he didn't give me away!

ps. it was the 1990 season that Villa finished 2nd.. the 1989 season they only just stayed up i think

Edited by If wed kept Howie..
typo

18 minutes ago, Canary Jedi said:

Yay! I happened to be working in Macclesfield this week (for a company that’s making zero profit for vaccinating most of the world against COVID … but that’s another discussion…)

And rather than go home, I’m staying over with a mate for a couple of rounds of golf, plus something else … err what is it? … oh yes of course! The small matter of my first ever trip to the Etihad to see the mighty canaries overcome adversity 😁😁😁

Only downside is my mate is a Citeh season ticket holder and has ‘kindly’ got me a seat near him. It will be very, very interesting to watch the match and listen to the sky blue fans around me. 
Actually this is not the first time. I once stood in the Kippax in the 90s when we drew 1-1 (Dave Philips opened the scoring). It was SO HARD not to cheer. 
The great thing is you can shout  “Come on City!” and no-one will bat an eyelid 😂

So, the point of this thread? What are the standout moments when you have crossed enemy lines in order to be able to watch Norwich and did you manage to resist giving yourself away?

Sat on my hands when a guest of a Colchester fan when we won 5 nil at their place . As more and more goals went in , I realised that there were lots of canaries sitting near me . 

3 minutes ago, Canary Jedi said:

I used to date a scum fan and out of pity I used to go watch some games. That said this was a a time when Norwich and Ipswich were both chasing promotion. The two teams that could overtake Norwich in the automatic places were Leeds and Sunderland so I had great delight in giving both sets of away fans loads of stick but for reasons those around me didn't know. I also obviously wanted Ipswich to lose against the mid table teams which they duly obliged. I think I watched West Ham beat Ipswich in the play off semi final that year, oh the joy of their misery. So despite siting with those numpties a few times I watched all those threats to Norwich balls it up as we continued to win our way to promotion. 

As a kid I also went to White Hart Lane amongst the Spurs supporters ( I think my dad had a death wish). Norwich V Spurs and Glenn Hoddle was playing. I think it was a draw or Norwich win. My Norwich scarf got ripped out of the car window by a Spurs fan as we drove away from the ground

• Like 1

Back in the early 1990s, went to a 1p5wich Norwich game at their place,  and could only get tickets in the home end. We lost 3-1, which in one way was a benefit to my long term health 

• Haha 2

Sitting in a Liverpool area for the last match in front of the kop, my stifled shout when we scored saw my chewing gum fly into the hair of the lady sitting in front of me. I spent the rest of the match leaning forward so no one noticed as I was too embarrassed to admit to it...

• Haha 3

Tickets for troops had tickets available for games and they were always for the games that were away, and were very cheap and required a donation so I have been to lots sat in the home end of stadiums looking over at the city fan's wishing I was there with them, disguising celebrating goals and also hiding disappointment, there are times when opposition fans chat to you about the players or games, but chatting about football is something we all seem to enjoy.

I must say though I have never sat with Ipswich fans, nor would I, and I'm no longer serving so I dont use tickets for troops anymore.

• Like 1

I used to regularly sit in Fulham’s members area. Was good as always got to meet some old legends of the game, but was there for ‘that’ game and haven’t been since. 
I also always end up in amongst the home fans at the emirates as my wife and her family are all Arsenal fans, and will be in a few weeks time. The most memorable for that one was the 3-3. I was sat right next to the partition between our fans and the Arsenal fans with a steward right next to me. When we conceded early the steward made me and said I’d be out if I wasn’t on best behaviour. When we levelled it for 3-3 at the end I went crazy, he put his arm round me for what I thought was the inevitable kicking out, but it was just him getting caught up in the moment and celebrating with me. Turns out he was a secret NCFC fan as well 👍

• Haha 2

Never mind being behind enemy lines, I feel sorry for any poor **** who's got to work in bloody Macclesfield!

(The half-marathon is nice though, but hilly).

• Haha 1

I’m fairly well versed in playing the ‘disinterested neutral’ among the home fans…clearly not a home fan, but not (necessarily) an away fan either, though I’ve been to see us at Brentford a fair few times in with home fans I know, who are fine with it. It’s actually interesting to see things more from ‘their’ perspective, you do lose some of the yellow and green tinge to things.

1979 Brighton 2 Norwich 4 . I was 15 . We’d moved to Brighton in 1978 as Dad had got a promotion there . For me an absolute f***ing nightmare . 
Two schoolmates , who I suppose I was fairly friendly with , had dared me to go with them to the Goldstone .They thought they were sure to beat us . I did celebrate a bit , and to be fair the Brighton fans near us just laughed and said have you come on your tractor. Which at the time I really didn’t get . My Uncle back home in Norfolk had a tractor, but why on earth would I come on that .

Anyway it was glorious. If I remember rightly Goble , Paddon, Taylor and Reeves ( my absolute bloody idol) . Steve Foster and Gerry Ryan for them , I think . 
Other Brighton fans back at school the next week weren’t so gracious - corker of a black eye and various bruises. Medals won as far as I was concerned. Dad died the next year and it was back to Norfolk .

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Canary Jedi said:

Oh my goodness you've trawled up a bad memory here. In January '81 I was meant to be going with a Man City friend to see us in the FA Cup at Maine Road. He had a family emergency the day before and therefore I went by myself (day return from Bradford). Had no idea how to get through Manchester but had been told to get the 76X bus (maybe my memory falters here) which somehow I found.

Quite a long run ride with noisy Citeh fans screaming out of the top floor windows at the occasional City fan in green and yellow. Had been told not to wear any colours and stay away from anyone around the far end of the ground (was it the Kippax?) once I arrived.

Bright opening when I had to half stifle a yell and punch the air (I failed to stop myself) as we went close. Was pleased that two others near me also did the same. Felt good. But.. then the goals just started raining in. First, I think, by none other than Kevin Reeves.

Anyway as I was leaving it had just turned 6-0. The bus ride back was terrible. Folk were looking for Norwich fans to beat up. I kept quiet and had a plan to talk about all things northern if I became a suspect.

Victoria station was a bit better. Cold evening and some young bloke started asking me what i had done in Manchester. Fearful he was an undercover Man City  I made up some story.

Yet, he was really okay but kept asking me if I was Bruce Foxton! Told him I was in a band but wasn't said bass player. He wasn't really having it😅 ...luckily he got off around Stalybridge after we had talked all things Jam. 

Found out years later 6-0 was our worst FA Cup result for over 50 years (or more).

Hate the fact that we rarely beat them and even more now that they've just basically bought their success. A depressing memory but I survived. Oh, I don't think I especially looked like Bruce Foxton but it didn't help me because I knew most of the Jam's songs inside out.

It's impossible to keep your mouth shut when in with away crowds but maybe the 90s and since then supporting is safer. The 70s and 80s were much more hostile. 

Only other 'experience' was going with a Chelsea mate to watch them at Elland Road in the late 80s. Jeez, what a bunch they are (Chelsea). Even being amongst them (by now much older and wiser) it was intimidating. By now I had perfected an independent carefree persona. But again, a loss.

Hope you are more of a lucky omen for Saturday. I fear for us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Oh my goodness you've trawled up a bad memory here. In January '81 I was meant to be going with a Man City friend to see us in the FA Cup at Maine Road. He had a family emergency the day before and therefore I went by myself (day return from Bradford). Had no idea how to get through Manchester but had been told to get the 76X bus (maybe my memory falters here) which somehow I found.

Quite a long run ride with noisy Citeh fans screaming out of the top floor windows at the occasional City fan in green and yellow. Had been told not to wear any colours and stay away from anyone around the far end of the ground (was it the Kippax?) once I arrived.

Bright opening when I had to half stifle a yell and punch the air (I failed to stop myself) as we went close. Was pleased that two others near me also did the same. Felt good. But.. then the goals just started raining in. First, I think, by none other than Kevin Reeves.

Anyway as I was leaving it had just turned 6-0. The bus ride back was terrible. Folk were looking for Norwich fans to beat up. I kept quiet and had a plan to talk about all things northern if I became a suspect.

Victoria station was a bit better. Cold evening and some young bloke started asking me what i had done in Manchester. Fearful he was an undercover Man City  I made up some story.

Yet, he was really okay but kept asking me if I was Bruce Foxton! Told him I was in a band but wasn't said bass player. He wasn't really having it😅 ...luckily he got off around Stalybridge after we had talked all things Jam. 

Found out years later 6-0 was our worst FA Cup result for over 50 years (or more).

Hate the fact that we rarely beat them and even more now that they've just basically bought their success. A depressing memory but I survived. Oh, I don't think I especially looked like Bruce Foxton but it didn't help me because I knew most of the Jam's songs inside out.

It's impossible to keep your mouth shut when in with away crowds but maybe the 90s and since then supporting is safer. The 70s and 80s were much more hostile. 

Only other 'experience' was going with a Chelsea mate to watch them at Elland Road in the late 80s. Jeez, what a bunch they are (Chelsea). Even being amongst them (by now much older and wiser) it was intimidating. By now I had perfected an independent carefree persona. But again, a loss.

Wow that’s a hell of a memory and story, sorry for dredging it up 🤭 Is that still our worst every FA Cup defeat?

1 hour ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Sat on my hands when a guest of a Colchester fan when we won 5 nil at their place . As more and more goals went in , I realised that there were lots of canaries sitting near me . 

OMG thanks for reminding me, yes I was there too and also in with the Col U fans, along with my dad who’s a Barclay upper season ticket holder. 

Also the match was highly memorable due to the fact that the Colchester chairman Robbie Cowling refused to give extra tickets to Norwich fans because he wanted to use the match as an opportunity to drum up support for Colchester, and launched a massive local campaign about “nasty Norridge“ for stealing their manager Paul Lambert. To be fair it worked in that they had a sell out crowd of 10,007 people (which is weird as the capacity is 10,000!) However it backfired because of course we stuffed them 5-0 and most of the casual Colchester supporters have never been back since 😂

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Canary Jedi said:

Wow that’s a hell of a memory and story, sorry for dredging it up 🤭 Is that still our worst every FA Cup defeat?

Haha...no problem ...40 years distance between today and then helps 😂 ...

No idea if it's our worst but reckon it is in the Cup. At some stage I really want us to go the whole way in the FA Cup. For a team like ours it should be possible. Perhaps within the Farke era because he often puts out competitive teams🤞

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Probably was the Kippax Stand. That was the most fearsome side there at Maine Road and it also happened to overlook Moss Side. Some of the local wags used to quip that those at the top would, during boring matches, turn around to look over Moss Side as then they'd see more shots on target.

Think the oddest thing I've done in a football ground is either try to sing the Estonian national anthem before their home match with Greece in the Nations League in 2018 (it had been left on every chair along with some chants and a few other bits and pieces), or just wandered into the stadium in Mariehamn and ended up chatting football with their Director of Football for ten minutes the year before.

EDIT: And here's the evidence about the Estonian anthem from the Tallinn archive.

(1) Facebook

Edited by TheGunnShow

I was at that 6-0 loss, but in the away pen.  Being held back for an hour after the match would normally have seemed like hell after such a loss.  Strange to think that even after beating us 6-0 the Manchester police still thought the Citeh fans would have loved nothing more than a full scale war with us, so I suppose we had to feel safe in their hands penned in.  Match of the Day's interviews with players and managers after had us singing in the background, quite surreal.

Anyway, my real hands under my bum moment was at Poorman Road, when in Decemcer 1982 we had tickets in the home end for some reason.  And for the first time in ages we won, 3-2 was the rip roaring result.  I think I got away with several muffled yelps of joy, the odd half leap out of my seat, boy was that a difficult watch.  As others say in such circumstances it is sometimes easier if we get beat!  But that was a pleasant trip.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

I was at that 6-0 loss, but in the away pen.  Being held back for an hour after the match would normally have seemed like hell after such a loss.  Strange to think that even after beating us 6-0 the Manchester police still thought the Citeh fans would have loved nothing more than a full scale war with us, so I suppose we had to feel safe in their hands penned in.  Match of the Day's interviews with players and managers after had us singing in the background, quite surreal.

Anyway, my real hands under my bum moment was at Poorman Road, when in Decemcer 1982 we had tickets in the home end for some reason.  And for the first time in ages we won, 3-2 was the rip roaring result.  I think I got away with several muffled yelps of joy, the odd half leap out of my seat, boy was that a difficult watch.  As others say in such circumstances it is sometimes easier if we get beat!  But that was a pleasant trip.

Kevin Bond had a good game though. 

I was working in Coventry some years ago and so was disappointed that I wasn't able to get to many norwich games.

However, in 2011, Norwich had won promotion to the Prem. and their last game of the season was at home to Cov. I had found out that tickets for the Norwich game had sold out quickly but when I drive past the Ricoh Arena, as I did most weekdays, I thought, why not get away tickets for that match. So I parked up, tried to hide my Norfolk accent and asked for two 'away' tickets for the game. Bonus, I even got a discount for my dad as he was old enough for a concession. 

Turns out at the end of that match about 50% of the supporters in the Cov. section were Norwich fans !

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/13247128.stm

• Like 1

7 hours ago, If wed kept Howie.. said:

in with the Villa fans at their place, last home game of the season 1989.. 3-3.. and that also included a pitch invasion at the end of the game...

i would classify that experience as "spicy"

I believe I was there for that one , I think they were 3 - 1 up and we pulled it back to 3-3 and they stormed the away end , I think fox and Rosario scored for us and a own goal , it cost them any chance of winning the title.

6 hours ago, Pockthorpe said:

1979 Brighton 2 Norwich 4 . I was 15 . We’d moved to Brighton in 1978 as Dad had got a promotion there . For me an absolute f***ing nightmare . 
Two schoolmates , who I suppose I was fairly friendly with , had dared me to go with them to the Goldstone .They thought they were sure to beat us . I did celebrate a bit , and to be fair the Brighton fans near us just laughed and said have you come on your tractor. Which at the time I really didn’t get . My Uncle back home in Norfolk had a tractor, but why on earth would I come on that .

Anyway it was glorious. If I remember rightly Goble , Paddon, Taylor and Reeves ( my absolute bloody idol) . Steve Foster and Gerry Ryan for them , I think . 
Other Brighton fans back at school the next week weren’t so gracious - corker of a black eye and various bruises. Medals won as far as I was concerned. Dad died the next year and it was back to Norfolk .

Lovely chipped goal from Steve Goble on his debut. There can't have been many of us there that day

• Like 1

1989 Nottingham forest 0 - Norwich City 1 , Mark Bowen scoring just before half time. I was still a very young lad and my father held my hand tight when we scored . He had explained to me that we had to be quiet when our team scored as we were on the "Nottingham Forest stands" ... Something I'll never forget...especially as it turned out to be the winner. I remember Linighan and Butterworth being rocksolid at the back and Gunny as cool as ever...

Another one I can think of is Maddison's winner against brentford a few seasons ago. I was visiting my uncle in Chiswick and he had tickets for the game. I had presumed I couldn't go , but there I was watching Madders score a belter !!!

Edited by ROBFLECK
  • Like 1

I stood on the North Bank ( $hit view ) at Highbury for the Arsenal 4 NCFC 3 match. Mass brawl at the end of the match. 1989. My Gunner friend was very Gobby all the way home on the Train.

• Like 1

Can't say that I've ever done it properly. I once watched us play Coventry at the Ricoh but was on a hospitality ticket in a "box". I say "box" because you get a seat outside the box in the stand, but it whilst it was in the home stands, it was kind of segregated and I didn't have to sit on my hands all match.

I remember at Portman Road, the McKenzie debut match, I was sat in the away end and as ever, had to be held back after the game had ended. We were giving dog's abuse to the Ipswich fans in the stand to our left as they were leaving but once the stand was pretty much empty, a bloke stopped on his way to the concourse, whipped off his jumper to reveal a Norwich shirt and started jumping up and down and joining in with the celebrations! Legend.

I've never been in the away end for a Norwich game, but I do remember some Chelsea fans who managed to get tickets in the River End when we played them FA Cup during the infamous 0-0 draw where Alex Notman attempted to cut inside and curl the ball into the top right corner every single time he got the ball. Through both stupidity and arrogance they didn't try to hide the fact they were Chelsea fans whatsoever and they were safely escorted out of the ground, much to the joy of all the city fans around them within the first 20 minutes. We then, of course, went back to Chelsea and got smashed with Zola scoring that wonderful flick past Green so I guess they got the last laugh.

Another good one springs to mind, can't remember what game it was but I was sat in the Barclay, a rather sizely gentleman was giving it large when the away team took the lead sat in amongst some home fans. Quickly ejected by the stewards and he almost gave a lap of honour as he waved to the ground on his escort out the ground, he then proceeded to reappear in one of the hotel windows and watched the remainder of the game from there. What a lad!

Edited by AJ

4 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Lovely chipped goal from Steve Goble on his debut. There can't have been many of us there that day

I was dylan. My first away game at that! Remember the Brighton fans trying to get to us at the train station and then our (stationary) train got rammed by another (thankfully not fast moving) train

11 hours ago, Pockthorpe said:

Mixed emotions for you Pockthorpe I guess?

9 hours ago, shefcanary said:

I was at both those also shef. The first one was a bit of a fog, as it seemed every time Citeh attacked, they scored! Worse because of the John Bond/Reeves etc stuff

I take my hat off to you for the 3-2 game, as being in the away end was absolute pandemonium as Martin O'Neill's last minute, outside of the boot, free kick, hit the top corner of the net. It felt like me head had exploded!

10 hours ago, sonyc said:

I have been to Chelsea and West Ham games as an away fan (not against us) and it is very 'interesting' (🤣) to see how other team's fans are

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, AJ said:

Another good one springs to mind, can't remember what game it was but I was sat in the Barclay, a rather sizely gentleman was giving it large when the away team took the lead sat in amongst some home fans. Quickly ejected by the stewards and he almost gave a lap of honour as he waved to the ground on his escort out the ground, he then proceeded to reappear in one of the hotel windows and watched the remainder of the game from there. What a lad!

I remember that one, he got a big cheer from the away fans when he appeared at the window!

• Haha 1