Sign in to follow this  
Norfolk camper

Line up for Man City

6 hours ago, WSM said:

Spurs were pretty good last weekend at beating the Man City press by passing and progressing it quickly up the pitch (counter attacking) - if we are to have any success we need both a resolute defence (4 at the back and 3 CM) as well as quick countering options - for this reason I would be tempted to play Tzolis and Rashica. Would be tempted to play Sargent as Pukki doesn't look quite ready yet after a very busy 2021 - hopking he could both connect the play as well as get on the end of crosses etc

Spurs played 2 quality DMs in Hojbjerg and Skipp which meant Man City had to go around, not through. Plus their counter attacks were at pace.

I'd probably switch Rupp for McLean and give those Man City defenders a bit to think about with Idah or Sargent. There's no point in waiting until we go behind before we make positive changes.

I might even be tempted to start Sargent on the right to make us stronger defensively against Zinchenko and Grealish.

How about

Krul

Aarons    Hanley    Gibson    Giannoulis

Sorensen              

Lees-Melou     Gilmour        Rashica

Cantwell

Sargent   

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Costessey Posse said:

How about

Krul

Sorensen              

Cantwell

Sargent   

I would go with this. Spurs have provided the very blue print on how to get a result against them (and by result I mean anything better than a 3-0 loss, not exclusively talking about a win). 

Sargent is the closest player we have to Son as the focal point up top (i.e. endless energy combined with the ability to stretch on the break). 

We also need someone with pace who could carry the ball/support Son. We don't have someone as good as Lucas but Rashica is best place to replicate his role and then Cantwell for Bergwijn. 

Defensively Sorenson and Lees-Melou will sit deep with Gilmour playing link-up to get the ball off Sorenson and find Cantwell as quick as possible. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bovril said:

I would go with this. Spurs have provided the very blue print on how to get a result against them (and by result I mean anything better than a 3-0 loss, not exclusively talking about a win). 

Sargent is the closest player we have to Son as the focal point up top (i.e. endless energy combined with the ability to stretch on the break). 

We also need someone with pace who could carry the ball/support Son. We don't have someone as good as Lucas but Rashica is best place to replicate his role and then Cantwell for Bergwijn. 

Defensively Sorenson and Lees-Melou will sit deep with Gilmour playing link-up to get the ball off Sorenson and find Cantwell as quick as possible. 

Who is going to score out of that lot?

I’d go for the same line up as Liverpool only with McLean in for Rupp. Tzolis sounds great but as he’s still a teenager and missed pre-season I can’t see him playing in the league yet. Think he will get the whole game v Bournemouth though, so Farke can start to assess him

If Norwich play pukki up front like last time when we where in the premier league we go down but if we play Sargent we will stay up so Saturday game we will see. 

While I'd also play McLean, his injury and lack of game time it'd make me hesitant, he may only be good for a half.  Farke will know best, of course.

Rupp has had more consistent game time, it's hard to look beyond him in a game where we're going to be working hard.

Pukki a far more proficient goal scorer than Sargent, wouldn't replace him unless he's missing sitters or we totally fail to provide for him and need a different option.  The concern after Saturday is lack of changes mid second half.

In the championship Farke had tactical players 'up his sleeve' to either turn matches or see out/delay final minutes.  For the next few games, i think he's got to be focused on refreshing players so we don't switch off.

Edited by Google Bot

10 hours ago, For the future said:

If Norwich play pukki up front like last time when we where in the premier league we go down but if we play Sargent we will stay up so Saturday game we will see. 

Fact or opinion?

Ten minutes of Sargent in the yellow ... and he impressed, no doubting.

V. Three seasons and seventy odd goals from Pukki.

Another one who seems determined to write Teemu off, even at the expense of making baseless forecasts.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 18/08/2021 at 10:37, dylanisabaddog said:

I don't think we're currently in a position to pay £10m for a player to sit on the bench 

So you drop a £30m player in Todd Cantwell to play him just because of his value?

The best players for the job should play, irrespective of their value or how much we spent buying them.

18 hours ago, Costessey Posse said:

How about

Krul

Sorensen              

Cantwell

Sargent   

Swap McLean for Cantwell (greater height / physicality in the air) and that's what I'd do.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

So you drop a £30m player in Todd Cantwell to play him just because of his value?

The best players for the job should play, irrespective of their value or how much we spent buying them.

yeah, Teemu was free and Hugill cost 5M, which one was on the bench last year ? 

11 hours ago, For the future said:

So our whole season hinges on whether Pukki or Sargent plays up front? Silly me here was thinking it was vastly more complicated than that. 🤣

11 hours ago, For the future said:

Is this the same Sargent who runs around quite a lot but doesn't score goals or assists?

I am not sure I would make any changes - we started well against liverpool but some defensive sloppiness made things to hard - I am not sure either sargeant or kenny will offer or improve that:  a little luck with the ricochets  nd more focus from the cms and cbs should suffice.  

For me stick to the same,  but use the subs earlier when its clear we are starting to tire.

I also think we will see same starting lineup as on last match. I don't think there were individual bad performers to singled out and some sort of consistency might be valuable at this time. Also expecting some subs bit earlier this time though. That lineup has now  likely had more time to train together since the last game than in whole pre-season, so that alone should be helpful.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Terminally Yellow said:

No I didn't say that at all!  The team I named above included Cantwell. We have little enough chance this year as it is without leaving him out. 

I think in some of our tougher games we have to be solid at the back and try to counter teams like Man City. Against Liverpool we tried taking the game to them which they like as they have the strength in the counter. We need to play with two defensive midfielders, Sorenson and Mclean just as we did last season with Skipp and Mclean. This is who I would play. Cantwell and Tzolis would rotate from left to right.

Krul

Aarons                Hanley            Gibson            Giannoulis

Mclean                     Sorenson

Cantwell                Lees-Melou           Tzolis

Sargent

Edited by StaffordCanary
  • Like 1

What's with people leaving our best player in Gilmour out of the side? Did you not see his talent vs Liverpool? The lad is an absolute baller and is the first name on the teamsheet for me. We are incredibly lucky to have such a superstar within our squad. 

Its up to Farke to now partner him with someone that is able to protect the defence to allow Gilmour to dictate the play and take more risks in spreading the ball out wide ASAP to create counter attacking moments. Sorenson is the only recognised CDM on our books but McLean can also do a good job at this and helps us have balance with him being left footed.

I'm more worried that Grealish,  with the excitement of making his first home appearance, and in front of a crowd, will 'forget' to put his studs in, and not be able to keep his feet. Hopefully a strong referee (with the help of VAR) will guide him...........

7 minutes ago, Yella Army said:

What's with people leaving our best player in Gilmour out of the side? Did you not see his talent vs Liverpool? The lad is an absolute baller and is the first name on the teamsheet for me. We are incredibly lucky to have such a superstar within our squad. 

Its up to Farke to now partner him with someone that is able to protect the defence to allow Gilmour to dictate the play and take more risks in spreading the ball out wide ASAP to create counter attacking moments. Sorenson is the only recognised CDM on our books but McLean can also do a good job at this and helps us have balance with him being left footed.

Personally i think Gilmour is more of a holding / attacking midfielder and is in more contention with the likes of Lees-Melou. He needs to sit in the middle and control the play but he struggles in defence. I don't see him as a defensive midfielder as he's a bit light weight in his defending. He needs to strengthen that part of his game. A good player but definitely not our best player, still a lot to learn.

10 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

I'm more worried that Grealish,  with the excitement of making his first home appearance, and in front of a crowd, will 'forget' to put his studs in, and not be able to keep his feet. Hopefully a strong referee (with the help of VAR) will guide him...........

I've just seen it's Graham Scott, the Ref who famously said something along the lines of  'Get used to it next season' at half time of the Bournemouth home game, when our players had a moan at him in regards to the Giannoulis sending off

43 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

I've just seen it's Graham Scott, the Ref who famously said something along the lines of  'Get used to it next season' at half time of the Bournemouth home game, when our players had a moan at him in regards to the Giannoulis sending off

Well that’s just great, Crabby! Looks like Gundogan and De Bruyne are real doubts for tomorrow. Their 2 best players I think. And Man City supporters not convinced by the Ake and Mendy CB combo. So put a fiver on for PUP’s at 25/1 for us to win. There should never be that disparity in odds in the same league, and anyway, I back our boys, we have some very good players of our own!

Krul

Lee-Melou                     Gilmour

Rashica                Cantwell              Tzolis

Sargent

Just now, Samwam27 said:

Krul

Lee-Melou                     Gilmour

Rashica                Cantwell              Tzolis

Sargent

Interesting formation, SamWam! 

Until we find a CDM, I'd like Gilmour and PLM as our two holding midfielders, and Rash, Todd & Tzol to run riot at their defence.

I think Pukki could be our super sub. His fresh legs and runs against tired defences later in games could be more productive than him starting every game, but see him rotating with Sargent

Edited by Samwam27

19 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

Well that’s just great, Crabby! Looks like Gundogan and De Bruyne are real doubts for tomorrow. Their 2 best players I think. And Man City supporters not convinced by the Ake and Mendy CB combo. So put a fiver on for PUP’s at 25/1 for us to win. There should never be that disparity in odds in the same league, and anyway, I back our boys, we have some very good players of our own!

I always believe we can win Alex, no matter who we play. Blind optimism maybe but we have seen that football can be a strange game. They also have Foden out, which can only be a bonus for us.

I'd also bring Sørensen in and play Sargent with Rashica behind Pukki:

Krul
Aarons Hanley Gibson Giannoulis
Gilmour Sørensen Lees-Melou
Sargent Rashica

Pukki

Sargent and Rashica know each other's game and Sargent is better than Cantwell defensively and can also take some of the burden off Pukki as he's had a full pre-season and two Bundesliga matches before he arrived.

Edited by Yelloow Since 72