Sign in to follow this  
silver fox

Boothroyd takes Watford into third place - Comparison with Worthy

I watched Watford play Sheff Utd off the park tonight and once again they deserved to win; Malky looked impressive at the back, and the whole team seemed to be enjoying themselves.  Boothroyd is now getting rave notices about how well he has done with only 1m to spend on players.

The sky commentators mentioned that Boothroyd, whose team were favourites to get relegated, had combined a blend of experienced players with some promising youngsters and had produced a team that played good attractive football.  In comparison we were favourites to go up, Worthy had several million to spend on players, and we end up with a team of journeymen and are 14th in the league.

My own deductions from this are that Boothroyd spent his limited money wisely, he was prepared to play his youngsters, but more importantly he motivated his players and has got the best out of them.  You can make your own minds up about our manager and what he has achieved.

Why on earth did we ever let Boothroyd leave this club?

[quote user="silver fox"]

Malky looked impressive at the back[/quote]

Malky could well complete a unique treble this year - promotion to the Premiership in 3 consectutive seasons with 3 different Clubs.

The decision to sell him was the worst in City''s history and undoubtably a major part of our decline into mediocrity. Despite numerous attempts to replace hime with signings & loans, he has never been replaced. Obviously Pardew & Boothroyd, plus 20,000 City Supporters, can see something that Worthington couldn''t, or wouldn''t.

[quote user="silver fox"]

I watched Watford play Sheff Utd off the park tonight and once again they deserved to win; Malky looked impressive at the back, and the whole team seemed to be enjoying themselves.  Boothroyd is now getting rave notices about how well he has done with only 1m to spend on players.

The sky commentators mentioned that Boothroyd, whose team were favourites to get relegated, had combined a blend of experienced players with some promising youngsters and had produced a team that played good attractive football.  In comparison we were favourites to go up, Worthy had several million to spend on players, and we end up with a team of journeymen and are 14th in the league.

My own deductions from this are that Boothroyd spent his limited money wisely, he was prepared to play his youngsters, but more importantly he motivated his players and has got the best out of them.  You can make your own minds up about our manager and what he has achieved.

Why on earth did we ever let Boothroyd leave this club?

[/quote]

Didn''t it have something to do with opposing Mr Worthington''s training plans?

And I wouldn''t be surprised if he also completes another treble and Boothroyd, like Pardew and Worthington before him, decides that he''s not up to the Premiership and gets rid of him. Pardew saw exactly the same thing that Worthington saw. Great in the Champ, not up to the Prem.

The decision to sell him wasn''t a bad one; it was not getting a better replacement which was the problem. And it was a great move for Malky - if he was still here now, having looked like a carthorse in the Prem, he would be lumped with Holt and Fleming as villains instead of being remembered as a top bloke and a great servant of the club.

Boothroyd has had, what, a year at Watford? I''d say that we were all pretty pleased with Nigel after his first full season.

"Didn''t it have something to do with opposing Mr Worthington''s training plans?"

Did it? I seem to remember Worthy being furious at the Board for allowing him to leave. Do you have other information?

[quote user="gazzathegreat"] 

Didn''t it have something to do with opposing Mr Worthington''s training plans?

[/quote]Not fair Gazza. Betty Boothroyd left the club because he wanted faster advancement - a commitment from the club that he could move through the coaching ranks and get involved with the older players. He was offered that by Leeds and Worthy was vocal in his disappointment that Norwich couldn''t have made it attractive for him to stay - doesn''t sound like they''d clashed over training, does it?Three moves in three years has led to an ambitious Boothroyd fast-tracked into management, where he''s had a phenomenal first full season. He''s had dips in form when key players have been injured, but been able to stick largely to one team and formation. I''d like to see how he copes in more troubled times.I like the way Betty''s team plays football, and I''d be interested in seeing him return to Norwich City - but let''s not manufacture a schism between him and Worthy, unless there''s some reason you could explain to me that never found it''s way to the public domain.

[quote user="Old Boy"]

"Didn''t it have something to do with opposing Mr Worthington''s training plans?"

Did it? I seem to remember Worthy being furious at the Board for allowing him to leave. Do you have other information?

[/quote]

shame he left coa with 1 million quid he has created a prpomotion chasing team, with 7 worthy has created mid table fodder. (and it aint gonna get much better considering how poor some of our players are)  and teh lack of a right midfielder!!!  lol!!   no right  midfielder still!!!!