Sign in to follow this  
WSM

Encouraging signs going forward

https://saturdays.substack.com/p/norwichs-surprisingly-strong-statement?r=b8n22&utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=web&utm_source=copy

this article shows that we were extremely good at breaking the Liverpool press and moving the ball through transition up the pitch

also praises Rupp, PLM, Gilmour and Rashica in this respect

only caveat I guess is that in the early stages last season we also looked brilliant hah

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, WSM said:

https://saturdays.substack.com/p/norwichs-surprisingly-strong-statement?r=b8n22&utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=web&utm_source=copy

this article shows that we were extremely good at breaking the Liverpool press and moving the ball through transition up the pitch

also praises Rupp, PLM, Gilmour and Rashica in this respect

only caveat I guess is that in the early stages last season we also looked brilliant hah

I was just saying that I thought this was worthy of its own thread; I hadn't scrolled down far enough. 

Our transition play looks good. We were just lacking that final killer ball or shot, possibly in part because we were lacking bodies in advanced positions. The signs are pretty good.

If we can emulate last season then we'll do alright. Maybe you were thinking of the one before?

46 minutes ago, Petriix said:

I was just saying that I thought this was worthy of its own thread; I hadn't scrolled down far enough. 

Our transition play looks good. We were just lacking that final killer ball or shot, possibly in part because we were lacking bodies in advanced positions. The signs are pretty good.

If we can emulate last season then we'll do alright. Maybe you were thinking of the one before?

Yes - meant last time in the Prem!

There were periods in that game where I felt super euphoric as we transitioned up the pitch.  The highs of watching us play out from the back so intricately was breath-taking and i just had this overwhelming feeling that it gets no better.  I remember a break from Left Back position in the first half that was incredible and I was getting tingles all over (Hence why I said euphoric feeling). 

I can only remember 2 or 3 times it ticking in such a perfect manner though, and as comment above we lacked the final ball.  But If we continue to develop understanding between players and the frequency of these plays take hold, then wow, with the crowd appreciation it's going to be a pleasure to watch.

It's a massive step to transition into the final play, as shown before.  And It's mad to think you can bypass all that beautiful play by sticking a big man up top and just hoofing the ball.  Furthermore, big target man could increase your chances of scoring due to forced mistakes path. 

But I'd never want us to swap, I'm almost at the point where our results are secondary to enjoying watching us play.  And that's quite a dangerous stance to take when survival is key to holding on to and developing our players.  Think the management are also in the same space too.

• Like 2

Something else I found encouraging was the xG (expected goals statistics).

We were sixth overall after the first set of matches with a figure of 1.61, which obviously shows the urgent need for more clinical finishing.

Interestingly, Liverpool’s figure stood at 1.47!

This not only suggests the score flattered Liverpool, but also proves how useless stats can be to the end result!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, unique said:

We were sixth overall after the first set of matches with a figure of 1.61, which obviously shows the urgent need for more clinical finishing.

This not only suggests the score flattered Liverpool, but also proves how useless stats can be to the end result!

INteresting - thanks for sharing - whilst we might have had a higher expected XG a lot of it probably came from the goalmouth scramble with Gibson - think Liverpool had the clearer cut chances overall but just shows they shouldn't write us off yet!

Another stat we need to note and I think address is the foul count. We made 4 fouls in that game. Liverpool made 14. We need to get better at stopping counter attacks at source by committing cynical fouls. Liverpool consistently pressed and fouled Aarons and Dimi high up the pitch thus not only reducing the risk of getting booked for it (because it was not in dangerous areas) but also giving themsleves the ability to re-group and re-set their shape. I think this is something that nearly all the other premier lague teams are more adept at that us. Not saying i want us to cheat but we need to be far more streetwise. 

• Like 2

An incident in the second half we were awarded a free kick on the outside of the centre circle in Liverpool's half.....A red's player picked the ball up, toyed with it for a bit then threw it to another red who caught it....who also did the same then threw it to another red who juggled it for a short time then threw it to the turf many yards away from the area of the foul.....It gave them time to set up their defence and count the clock down......Ref did rock all......Gamesmanship eh.....

13 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Another stat we need to note and I think address is the foul count. We made 4 fouls in that game. Liverpool made 14. We need to get better at stopping counter attacks at source by committing cynical fouls. Liverpool consistently pressed and fouled Aarons and Dimi high up the pitch thus not only reducing the risk of getting booked for it (because it was not in dangerous areas) but also giving themsleves the ability to re-group and re-set their shape. I think this is something that nearly all the other premier lague teams are more adept at that us. Not saying i want us to cheat but we need to be far more streetwise. 

I think we would have fouled them more if we could have got closer to them. Poor Todd had to run the length of the pitch to earn his yellow.

Apparently our midfield three didn't make a single foul. Obviously I don't want players to go around randomly fouling people but in the Prem a tactical foul can be the difference between a win and a defeat.

4 hours ago, unique said:

That doesn't surprise me actually, two of their goals were exceptionally fortunate with jammy deflections, the first of which Tim Krul would save 9 times out of 10, it was just bad luck that Saturday was the 1 time he didn't.