Sign in to follow this  
NCPFC

What about signing players from Africa?

17 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Wasn’t this topic put on here the other day?

no that  was

What about signing players from South Africa?

this one is

4 minutes ago, NCPFC said:

no that  was

What about signing players from South Africa?

this one is

I guess the main issue with this is that the domestic leagues in Africa aren't strong enough for players to get a work permit to play in the EPL. Most of the top African international players find their way to Europe anyway, or indeed are born in Europe but choose to represent the country of their heritage (for example, the many Cameroonian, Ivorian, Senegalese and Algerian players who play and/or were born in France).

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Badger said:

Work permits?

but what about all the other players from Africa playing in the Premier League?

If players are good enough and can get work permits, I’m sure they’d be looked at, wherever they are from. Anyone in mind?

Edited by Branston Pickle

16 minutes ago, Uncle Fred said:

I don’t know why we don’t sign players from China 

Do they have to be stinking rich players? 😏

11 minutes ago, NCPFC said:

They either arrived before the new work permit system was introduced, hold a European passport, are regulars for a top 50 international team or qualified by being a regular player in a top six European league.

Young players arriving directly from Africa will not fulfil any of the above criteria.

1 hour ago, NCPFC said:

Can I ask why you’re asking the question? And on top of the one about South Africa?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NCPFC said:

I’m pretty sure that Stuart Webber has a world globe on his desk and is aware of the existence of this continent, and all the others.

12 hours ago, NCPFC said:

I can't claim to be certain but I suspect that many of these have European passports having qualified in countries with more liberal immigration regimes. Alternatively, they may have qualified by playing in the top leagues in the countries with more liberal immigration rules.

I may be wrong, but I don't think many British clubs recruit significant numbers of players directly from Africa.

Edited by Badger

Would really like to see us tap into some of the talent in Africa. Wenger did for AFC, but some alleged exploitation involved. Personally I’d like to see links forged with a country like Uganda. As a kid I used to watch school football in the Northern  Province, near Arua; never forgot the passion and joy. 

Looking at the Fifa top 50 rankings, we'd be able to sign regular internationals for Senegal, Egypt, Morocco, Algeria, Nigeria and Tunisia. My assumption is most of the regulars for these countries aren't playing in African leagues. 

So if the question is 'can we sign players who are African' then the answer is yes, depending on country and league. Can we sign players directly from African clubs though Highly unlikely.