Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Lees-Melou- Fantastic debut for a fantastic player

Seen a couple of negative comments regarding him on social media, and quite frankly I don't see why. Thought he looked pretty good and was one of our strong points against Liverpool. Then did some old Googling towards what his stats were during the match and well.. Stats speak for themselves me thinks, more so given this was his very first competitive match for us after we of course had a rather interrupted pre season

france.png

• Like 4

I thought he played well, didn't look our of depth at all. I think he will be the biggest surprise of the new boys. Saying that, Sargent performed much better than I was expecting when he came on to. 

• Like 1

I thought he was ok and didn’t look out of depth, if doing nothing particularly special…but tbh a game against Liverpool is not really a fair guide to assess a player. 

Thought he looked like one of the better players Saturday. Didnt realize how massive he is and will help counter some of the height concerns we had 2 years ago. 

Yep, thought he was decent, I'm sure there's more to come from him and can see him controlling the midfield against weaker opposition than Liverpool. 

• Like 1

Personally I thought he was the weakest of the midfield three and had a quiet game. What he did was technically tidy with very few misplaced passes, if any, but no driving forward or threatening passes.

To be fair it's a first PL game against a top team and I'm sure he will improve as he settles. I remember thinking Giannoulis had an anonymous debut but he settled into a top player quickly enough.

KM will quite rightly be champing at the bit to start if it doesn't happen 

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Seen a couple of negative comments regarding him on social media, and quite frankly I don't see why. Thought he looked pretty good and was one of our strong points against Liverpool. Then did some old Googling towards what his stats were during the match and well.. Stats speak for themselves me thinks, more so given this was his very first competitive match for us after we of course had a rather interrupted pre season

france.png

Those are some impressive stats, especially given the opposition and it coming after the preseason/Covid business. He is going to be important for us this season. Not sure how we’re going to fit that CDM in…

A very sound debut indeed, the first time I have seen him live and the fact I didn't really notice him was probably a good thing!

Hopefully more to come from him and we see him nearer the opposition's goal supporting our loan striker.

I don't think there is any argument at the moment if he fits in or not, it will be the new CDM, Gilmour and PLM. Tough on McLean, Rupp, Sorensen and Dowell but great for the team.

8 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

I thought he was ok and didn’t look out of depth, if doing nothing particularly special…but tbh a game against Liverpool is not really a fair guide to assess a player. 

Unless it's Aarons, apparently 

13 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

A very sound debut indeed, the first time I have seen him live and the fact I didn't really notice him was probably a good thing!

Hopefully more to come from him and we see him nearer the opposition's goal supporting our loan striker.

I don't think there is any argument at the moment if he fits in or not, it will be the new CDM, Gilmour and PLM. Tough on McLean, Rupp, Sorensen and Dowell but great for the team.

I think there’s debate to be had on that, certainly. If that leaves the 3 in attack such as Cantwell, Rashica, and Pukki or Sargent then do we leave one of our record signings on the bench in say Tzolis? I’ve got a feeling that midfield 3 you’ve mentioned won’t be a mainstay but rather deployed in certain games. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

I think there’s debate to be had on that, certainly. If that leaves the 3 in attack such as Cantwell, Rashica, and Pukki or Sargent then do we leave one of our record signings on the bench in say Tzolis? I’ve got a feeling that midfield 3 you’ve mentioned won’t be a mainstay but rather deployed in certain games. 

I think we will rarely see Cantwell, Rashica, Pukki / Sargent and Tzolis on the pitch at the same time to be honest, apart from when chasing a game against weak (for the PL) opposition. So I would wager that one or two of our record / near record signings will nearly always be on the bench!

8 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

I think we will rarely see Cantwell, Rashica, Pukki / Sargent and Tzolis on the pitch at the same time to be honest, apart from when chasing a game against weak (for the PL) opposition. So I would wager that one or two of our record / near record signings will nearly always be on the bench!

It’ll be interesting to see how we handle that, keeping them all happy, but thinking about it I think you could be right. Hard to draw too much from the Liverpool game as when up to speed, if these new attacking players perform as they have the potential to then our offensive play may hopefully negate having to play a slightly more conservative line up! But we shall see, having all options available is indeed a must and something I guess we didn’t properly have last time around!

9 hours ago, FatCanary said:

Unless it's Aarons, apparently 

No, not if you can’t be bothered to track back into your own penalty area when you are a defender.  It was a bad mistake, but c’est la vie.

You should get yourself a piece of cheese and calm down.

Edited by Branston Pickle

31 minutes ago, Yelloow Since 72 said:

Aarons was our top rated player on WhoScored at 7.3, but Lees-Melou was just behind on 7.2. He also saved a certain goal off the line. This article puts our new players into perspective and  hopefully there's more to come:

https://saturdays.substack.com/p/norwichs-surprisingly-strong-statement

Good article and shows signs of promise, once the squad is fully fit. 

Refreshing to see a pundit do some research.

36 minutes ago, Yelloow Since 72 said:

Aarons was our top rated player on WhoScored at 7.3, but Lees-Melou was just behind on 7.2. He also saved a certain goal off the line. This article puts our new players into perspective and  hopefully there's more to come:

https://saturdays.substack.com/p/norwichs-surprisingly-strong-statement

That's probably worthy of its own thread. I haven't looked back over the stats or even watched the highlights; I think the over stimulation of being at a live game for the first time in 18 months left me needing to switch off for a while. But I had a clear impression that we played pretty well apart from the final piece of the puzzle at both ends of the pitch. I'm sure we'll play a lot worse and win this season.

• Like 1