Sign in to follow this  
Mr Angry

Gerd Muller has died

If you were in that Bayern Munich side, and also in that West Germany side, you were a very good player at least, if not indeed a great. No two ways about it. That said, Müller usually got a pretty fair crack of the whip in terms of getting due credit. Hitting the winning goal for your home country in a home World Cup probably does that!

That international scoring record in days when international goals seemed harder to come by simply as you didn't have anywhere near as many countries to play against, of generally fairly mediocre quality, speaks volumes of his enduring class.

It'll be sad in particular when Schwarzenbeck goes, IMO. Now there was a one-club loyalist and very underrated defender. He and Beckenbauer must have been one of the finest centre-half pairings of all time.

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

And of course he went on to invent Rice.

He was good at corners... 

• Haha 1

Before my time, but his record at both domestic and international level is truly phenomenal. Undoubtedly one of the greatest strikers of all time. 

You never used to see much of him till he popped up and scored the winner, that was his great talent. 

Probably wouldn't last long nowadays because everyone would be calling for him to be subbed. The original goal sniffer. 

15 hours ago, Mr Angry said:

I can't say that I remember him that well as I don't think I was watching international football on a regular basis at the time he was around, but he was obviously a great player.

Gerd Muller: Bayern Munich's German legend dies aged 75 - BBC Sport

Hated him with a passion . One hell of a footballer - 1974 was the first World Cup I just about remember . 
RIP - another real legend if the game goes. 

• Like 1