cambridgeshire canary

Spurs vs Man City- SKIPP starts

2 minutes ago, norfolkbroadslim said:

Does anyone else think we need not 1, but 2 defensive midfielders (plus a centre back) to stay up?

No

5 minutes ago, 1902 said:

Not really. A) we couldn't afford it as we couldn't play them together and B) if we did then out whole system would collapse and we would go down with about 3 goals in the 'for' column. 

4-2-3-1 worked well for both Spurs and West Ham today.  I'm sure Farke realised last time we were in the Prem that playing the same formation week in, week out, no matter who the opposition, doesn't work.  Against some opponents we need to be more solid and the bench will always give us options to change things, should the need arise.

2 minutes ago, norfolkbroadslim said:

4-2-3-1 worked well for both Spurs and West Ham today.  I'm sure Farke realised last time we were in the Prem that playing the same formation week in, week out, no matter who the opposition, doesn't work.  Against some opponents we need to be more solid and the bench will always give us options to change things, should the need arise.

Maybe, but we can only afford so much tactical flexibility, spurs and west ham benefit from years in the premiership and so will be able to afford more squad depth than us. After spending close to 50 million there is no way we can come close to buying two premiership quality defensive midfielders plus a centre back. It might be great in an ideal scenario, but it is not for this year.

Just now, 1902 said:

Maybe, but we can only afford so much tactical flexibility, spurs and west ham benefit from years in the premiership and so will be able to afford more squad depth than us. After spending close to 50 million there is no way we can come close to buying two premiership quality defensive midfielders plus a centre back. It might be great in an ideal scenario, but it is not for this year.

Yes, probably not enough in the budget to buy those 3.  However, we still have 1 loan slot available, so 1 player will almost certainly be a loan.  So that would mean buying 2, or perhaps even just 1.  If the loan player was a defensive midfielder, Cahill as free agent defensive cover, leaving one defensive midfielder to purchase.

Whatever happens, I have no doubt we will see defensive reinforcements before the end of the window.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ken Hairy said:

Skipp celebrating that goal with Son was the first time in the game I'd noticed he was on the pitch 😂

Although that's kind of his game I suppose, Grealish however.... Has he even touched the ball??? 

You clearly weren’t watching very carefully 🤣 Skipp was penalised for a foul on Grealish in the first 3 minutes-any closer to the box and it would have been a penalty-and then made a tackle on Sterling in the 6 yard area a few minutes later, while Grealish was fouled 4 times while he had the ball in the first 20 minutes.

Worst possible result for City..as if things couldn’t get any worse.

Man City will be so ‘up for it’ next week, I fear an absolute mauling.

1 hour ago, Ken Hairy said:

Possibly, ironically though got a text off a Villa mate yesterday that simply said "Buendia, waste of ****ing money"... 😂

£3.3 million and we’d be prepared to take him off their hands.

35 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

You clearly weren’t watching very carefully 🤣 Skipp was penalised for a foul on Grealish in the first 3 minutes-any closer to the box and it would have been a penalty-and then made a tackle on Sterling in the 6 yard area a few minutes later, while Grealish was fouled 4 times while he had the ball in the first 20 minutes.

To be fair I was only half watching 😂

Looking forward to seeing Man City take that out on some poor sod next week...... Oh wait...... 

• Haha 1

Skipp did okay after an extraordinarily poor opening 5 mins where he got robbed in his own half and nearly gave away two pens! He'll get better for Spurs as the season goes on and will be a top 8 player most of his career I think.

Grealish was very average.

1 hour ago, unique said:

Worst possible result for City..as if things couldn’t get any worse.

Man City will be so ‘up for it’ next week, I fear an absolute mauling.

Understand your fears but there should have been a backlash after being beaten by Leicester. Even Man City can hit a spell of poor form so who knows what will happen Saturday? I do think they’ll be a different animal when they start De Bruyne though unfortunately, but this fixture is a free hit for most clubs in the league so we’ll see what happens.

19 hours ago, Greavsy said:

Grealish keeps getting "fouled"

Ha ha and that’s it, Greavsy! I honestly don’t know what the fuss is about him, sure you can see he’s comfortable with a ball at his feet but what does he actually really do other than draw a lot of fouls? The most overhyped player in British football.

19 hours ago, Ken Hairy said:

Possibly, ironically though got a text off a Villa mate yesterday that simply said "Buendia, waste of ****ing money"... 😂

Ha ha I bet secretly a lot of us City supporters are hoping we finish above Villa this season (irrespective of how likely or unlikely that is), and not for reasons that it would almost certainly mean we have stayed up, Ken - it would just be nice to show that the grass isn’t always greener! On another note, Villa fans have stolen our Emi song - the last line sounds a bit weird after just one game for them 😂

4 hours ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

I'll get this out of the way early. Man City haven't scored in their last 3 competitive games .

Right, let's get on with it

Let’s make it 4, Crabby 👍