For the future

We will stay in the premier league

It is difficult question to answer based on just one game however there are several reasons why we might hope to stay up.

1. We matched Liverpool for possession and pass completion.

2. We were able to play through their press. 

3. We created 12 shooting opportunities even though we didn't establish a territorial advantage. Indeed all the indicators suggest that we can play counter attacking football at this level.

4. 3-0 was not a fair reflection of the relative dominance of Liverpool and the scoreline flattered Klopp's side somewhat. The first goal was fortunate for them albeit well taken and finished through our keepers legs, the second two goals were a combination of Liverpool's skill and strength in depth and our own defensive awareness. Up until the first goal Klopp was looking nervous and agitated as his side were unable to dominate the game as they might have expected. 

5. At no point did we look as though we didn't deserve to be on the same pitch as them.

6. On several occasions we played right through them and were only lacking the final ball, passing option or finish. 

7. Our defensive line were able to match the attacking play in the 1v1 verses the Liverpool's attacking players. None of our back 4 was "owned" by the opposition. 

Based on one game only it would seem that we have a lot more to come particularly once Pukki is fully fit and Rashica, Sargent and Tzolis are more fully integrated into the team. 

With more precision in the final third and more depth to the available playing squad, based on this performance we should be able to get the nine or ten wins that will keep us up. 

Bonzo's bowl is half full.  

• Like 15
  • Thanks 4

Yep I agree, I thought we spent the majority of the first half outplaying them. Some excellent passing and I thought Dimi and Max were both very good outlets. 

The second half Liverpool were dominant and our lack of pre-season showed to be honest. But I expect our match sharpness to improve and I expect us to be pretty competitive in a couple of weeks' time.

Overall based upon our first half performance there is enough to suggest we are capable of staying in the league. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Bizarrely i'm actually more optimistic of staying up after Saturday. I felt there was more balance and structure to the team, the midfield felt more balanced.

Our central defenders hadn't played together in something ridiculous like 2 or 3 months and, combined with an awful pre-season in terms of game time and covid, we were weak in the areas I kind of expected us to be.

We really lacked that good quality final ball, I think that’s a lack of match fitness/team cohesion rather than a lack of quality though. 

Other than that I walked away pretty happy with what I saw Saturday. Against poorer opposition (and thats most teams let’s face it) I fancy our chances.

With clubs spending huge sums (Buendia, Grealish, Sancho etc etc etc) it is more than obvious the premier league is the toughest football league in the world and where many top players wish to ply their trade and showcase their talents. Rightly or wrongly, we don’t have that same capacity to purchase such players. We shop at the bottom end of the trough, buy the younger ones, develop them, and hope to sell them on at huge profit. Nothing wrong with that, (it’s been part of NCFC for as long as I can remember), but if financial self is much more important now than it ever was (and I’m not knocking that at all) as it appears, NCFC are never likely to put a team together that will compete above the bottom 10 of the premier league, and will struggle to hold even that position,  and their aspiration of being one of the top 26 teams in the UK says it all.

Thanks Bonzo. You've outlined some decent reasons for some confidence. I would qualify those points with a need to defend corners much more smartly (agreed so much with Jamie Rednapp's opinion about having a player or two on the edge of our box to be able to get (or get closer) to that second ball once the initial clearance is made. I can't help thinking Farke (and Reimer) will have looked at the replays and will ensure we change our set up.

Interesting to hear Farke too about his confidence ahead. No reason not to believe him as he is honest and not the bullsh1tter manager type.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Bonzo said:

It is difficult question to answer based on just one game however there are several reasons why we might hope to stay up.

1. We matched Liverpool for possession and pass completion.

2. We were able to play through their press. 

3. We created 12 shooting opportunities even though we didn't establish a territorial advantage. Indeed all the indicators suggest that we can play counter attacking football at this level.

4. 3-0 was not a fair reflection of the relative dominance of Liverpool and the scoreline flattered Klopp's side somewhat. The first goal was fortunate for them albeit well taken and finished through our keepers legs, the second two goals were a combination of Liverpool's skill and strength in depth and our own defensive awareness. Up until the first goal Klopp was looking nervous and agitated as his side were unable to dominate the game as they might have expected. 

5. At no point did we look as though we didn't deserve to be on the same pitch as them.

6. On several occasions we played right through them and were only lacking the final ball, passing option or finish. 

7. Our defensive line were able to match the attacking play in the 1v1 verses the Liverpool's attacking players. None of our back 4 was "owned" by the opposition. 

Based on one game only it would seem that we have a lot more to come particularly once Pukki is fully fit and Rashica, Sargent and Tzolis are more fully integrated into the team. 

With more precision in the final third and more depth to the available playing squad, based on this performance we should be able to get the nine or ten wins that will keep us up. 

Bonzo's bowl is half full.  

That's a great post Bonzo 👍, however the pedant in me read your first line and would point out the OP wasn't actually asking a question..... 😉

8 hours ago, hogesar said:

Bizarrely i'm actually more optimistic of staying up after Saturday. I felt there was more balance and structure to the team, the midfield felt more balanced.

Our central defenders hadn't played together in something ridiculous like 2 or 3 months and, combined with an awful pre-season in terms of game time and covid, we were weak in the areas I kind of expected us to be.

Bizarrely i am to, even though i believe City are seriously chasing down yet another football league record, most consecutive defeats in the Prem. They  now stand at 11, just 4 more to equal Sunderland's 15 of nearly 20 yrs ago. And this coming after record  number of away wins and points ever in the 2nd tier. I know theyre still the only club ever to achieve above 50% of draws in matches played in a season in any division and possibly the only club to finish in top 3 of Prem with a minus goal difference.

Anyhow...yea...1 goal scored and 27 conceded in those 11 defeats...yet here we are...full house still at the Carra and a genuine warmth for our head coach still...only at Norwich i say.  Can lose all we want, but i wont be denied in believing SW and DF are and will continue to strengthen us and stay up or go down i will be excited  about the players we have already here. OTBC.

Dont know...for that to happen we've got to somehow finish above 3 teams. 

Looking around I just cant see who they are?

If we finish below Brentford , we deserve to go down.  I can see Watford steering clear of relegation, beyond that maybe this is the season Burnley are caught out for not signing new players?...then youre maybe looking at the likes of Brighton but right now I'm not sure if you'd say we'd finish above them.

I'm prepared to reserve judgement until the end of the transfer window but right now despite all the talk that we needed to sign a bigger, stronger profile of player ,especially in the midfield/defence area we've signed everything but.

Said it on other threads but we're an easy midfield to play against , containing no bite or ball winner without the ball.

We wouldnt have got away without playing a defensive midfielder in front of the defence last season, in a season where we won the league with 97 pts....how the hell do we think we can in this league??

20 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Said it on other threads but we're an easy midfield to play against , containing no bite or ball winner without the ball.

Yeah physicality is where we lose out in this league.  Was hoping Lees-Melou was going to bring a physical presence but not sure he's that type now.  I think he's going to lead by a more technical example.  But who knows... I really would love a definitive vocal leader in the middle somewhere.

We were a very tired team on that pitch though, and clear that little to no form of understanding existed between Pukki and Rashica.  I was quite dubious with Sargent coming in, but now seeing him play I can see he's going to be a very good option for us.  And maybe he will drop deep and offer some hustle in midfield too?  Just not sure if Farke see's him as a #10 to play with Pukki, or another option entirely.

Rashica has shown he can beat his man, and deliver balls in the box, But as we have no target man, pointless pursuing it really - he'll be re-purposed to cut in and either go for goal, or slide it low/out to edge of the box I guess(?).  

Exciting times though, seeing who develops.  Cantwell looking very motivated, and Aarons so easily taken for granted so want to say great job by him at weekend all things considered.

Personally, not a clue how we're going to do right now.  On paper we look much stronger than the starting 11 that beat Man City.  Strangely enough,. i felt gutted seeing Skipp playing for Spurs at weekend, far more than seeing Emi in a Villa top. The realisation that no way he's joining us now, and well, he's also what we need. 😞

8 hours ago, sonyc said:

Thanks Bonzo. You've outlined some decent reasons for some confidence. I would qualify those points with a need to defend corners much more smartly (agreed so much with Jamie Rednapp's opinion about having a player or two on the edge of our box to be able to get (or get closer) to that second ball once the initial clearance is made. I can't help thinking Farke (and Reimer) will have looked at the replays and will ensure we change our set up.

Interesting to hear Farke too about his confidence ahead. No reason not to believe him as he is honest and not the bullsh1tter manager type.

The goal we conceded 'from a corner' against Liverpool on Saturday was about a thousand times better than the one we conceded from a corner against Liverpool in the first game of our last Premier League season.

On that occasion Van Dijk had a virtual free header from about 7 yards out. 

I realise that somebody will turn up in a minute and say 'what's the difference?' they both ended up being goals conceded, but any football coach will tell you that the one on Saturday was a massive improvement on the one from two years ago. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, sonyc said:

we

I think we will stay up, the new signings that played were excellent I felt, for the time they have been here. Once things click I can see us havin having a better season than two years ago for sure.

Much too early to tell imo . Our start is very difficult , but one good result can kickstart our season!
I liked the performances of our new players too, yet the missing link was obvious...

I think a lot will depend on getting that/those first point(s). It will give the players confidence and we will benefit from that.

We have to be able to keep up an intensity game after game that we didn't have to last season. It is going to be as much about those levels as much as who plays well and who doesn't.

21 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

The goal we conceded 'from a corner' against Liverpool on Saturday was about a thousand times better than the one we conceded from a corner against Liverpool in the first game of our last Premier League season.

On that occasion Van Dijk had a virtual free header from about 7 yards out. 

I realise that somebody will turn up in a minute and say 'what's the difference?' they both ended up being goals conceded, but any football coach will tell you that the one on Saturday was a massive improvement on the one from two years ago. 

I’m not sure.

I’d argue not fielding anyone even in the same postcode as Salah who was standing just 18 yards out might be close to as poor…  

Only saw the highlights of all the games but the quality of most of the teams seem way above anything we have

Some of the skills shown was terrific 

Absolutely zero chance of staying up. Just a repeat of your last visit. I have a history of predicting things right on here.

On 15/08/2021 at 14:43, For the future said:

Yesterday’s game is nothing to go bye as Norwich city will prove the critics wrong. On the ball city 

I suggest the first thing you do now is take a look at Delia's CV. Then if you are still not convinced take a look at all the the other CVs of the board members. If you then still think City will stay up then you need a shrink. 

On 17/08/2021 at 20:13, Hank shoots Skyler said:

I’m not sure.

I’d argue not fielding anyone even in the same postcode as Salah who was standing just 18 yards out might be close to as poor…  

From a football coaching perspective you're totally and utterly wrong about that. To put it simply it was far, far more difficult for Salah to score from 18 yards through a pile of bodies and past Krul than it was for Van Dijk to head it in virtually unchallenged from about 7 yards out. The fact that Salah was able to do it just underlines what a fantastic player he is. 

14 hours ago, peter72 said:

Absolutely zero chance of staying up. Just a repeat of your last visit. I have a history of predicting things right on here.

Correction. You have a history of looking a right plonker on here.

31 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

From a football coaching perspective you're totally and utterly wrong about that. To put it simply it was far, far more difficult for Salah to score from 18 yards through a pile of bodies and past Krul than it was for Van Dijk to head it in virtually unchallenged from about 7 yards out. The fact that Salah was able to do it just underlines what a fantastic player he is. 

Sorry can’t agree. Allowing VVD a free header or allowing Salah absolutely acres of space inside the edge of the box is a much of a muchness. I don’t think there’s much between them at all. Either way - the goal we conceded on the weekend was absolutely not ‘a thousand times better’ than the one 2 years ago. 

2 hours ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Sorry can’t agree. Allowing VVD a free header or allowing Salah absolutely acres of space inside the edge of the box is a much of a muchness. I don’t think there’s much between them at all. Either way - the goal we conceded on the weekend was absolutely not ‘a thousand times better’ than the one 2 years ago. 

Okay - I'll grant you the "1,000 times better" comment was hyperbole - as for the other part of what I said -  you'll never understand. 

I certainly feel, on reflection, the score probably flattered Liverpool more than anything as two of their goals came from chances that last season probably wouldn't have been left on the table so hopefully that's an early kick up the bum so we can perform better at the back. If we'd have lost 1-0 we'd be fairly chuffed with the performance. I still feel like we're a bit toothless up top despite the promising build up but I'm sure Raschica, Sargent and Tzolis have plenty to offer is in future matches