Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

The psychology of winning your first match vs losing

41 minutes ago, ROBFLECK said:

Getting off to a good start is vital to stay up. This is a fact... DF has work to do, heads will drop , which is human...but our coach is up to it.

The more of a meal we make of it as fans and the negativity that's created by that , will only make it tougher for the squad.

I don't agree it's vital or a fact.

Burnley are a great example. Last season by game week 10 they were second bottom with 5 points. 

At the end of the season, they finished with 39 points in 17th. 

A good start is huge, but it's definitely not vital nor is it a fact.

23 hours ago, Canary Jedi said:

I’m going to assume this is sarcasm, given that there was a championship winning season between the 10th and 11th games!

Unfortunately, sections of the press (including the BBC, I think) have been framing it this way. Very frustrating.

On 15/08/2021 at 09:26, Branston Pickle said:

These “records” may technically be correct but they are tedious and ridiculous - I saw it quoted before the game, but given it’s effectively across three seasons with our record promotion season in between it is wholly irrelevant.  
It’s like saying Brentford won their first top flight game for 50/60-whatever years - it’s just idiotic as they weren’t in the top flight for those seasons (oddly they didn’t draw or lose any either).  Ipswich haven’t won a PL game for 28 years…that’s also true and irrelevant, but at least it’s funny.

Funnily enough, Sky bet had their last 5 games in the '47 season in their form section pre game 

Edited by Ken Hairy

There is no question a good start can have great benefits compared to a bad one. BBC article last week showing how teams starting badly almost never improve. 

Therefore the fixture secretary served us up an absolute howler given that those pointing out losing against Liverpool is expected are also correct. We have a perfect storm of bad luck to start with then…and doing it without obvious gaps filled (skipp replacement being the biggest) only adds to that…

I imagine morale won’t be too badly hit if we lost to Man City and Leicester but a bad game against Watford and suddenly things could look dire…

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Terminally Yellow said:

I don't agree it's vital or a fact.

Burnley are a great example. Last season by game week 10 they were second bottom with 5 points. 

At the end of the season, they finished with 39 points in 17th. 

A good start is huge, but it's definitely not vital nor is it a fact.

I've got respect for your point of view...but I feel it's very important! And while there is always an exception to be found, most of the time if you're lagging behind from the start you've got much more chance to be relegated.

I don't want to be too negative. Pessimism won't help, but our start to the season is damned tricky! Would be for any promoted club. Win a point in the next two games and we'll be off and running. Get hammered and we'll be in the dumps... Human reaction, our players will need some lifting