Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

The psychology of winning your first match vs losing

Do we think there's going to be any kind of downed tools against Man City next week or do we think our players are still going to be going for it?

And how different do with think our camps mindset is right now vs Brentford and Watford?

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

Downed tools? Why on earth would that happen? Seriously, did I miss a revelation here?

just read what Ben Gibson said, that will answer your question. 

Watford and Brentford will clearly be positive, but it’s week 1, a million miles still to go. 
If we had been playing Arsenal yesterday we would have won I’m sure. 

12 minutes ago, Canary Jedi said:

Downed tools? Why on earth would that happen? Seriously, did I miss a revelation here?

just read what Ben Gibson said, that will answer your question. 

Watford and Brentford will clearly be positive, but it’s week 1, a million miles still to go. 
If we had been playing Arsenal yesterday we would have won I’m sure. 

Of course; as you would expect them to say. Not like players are going to be all 'lol nah not looked forward to it we are outclassed gonna lose lol'

I'm just trying to look at things from a psyclogical standpoint, which is an often under looked aspect of football that plays a much bigger role than many would think.

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

2 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Of course; as you would expect them to say. Not like players are going to be all 'lol nah we are outclassed gonna lose lol'

I'm just trying to look at things from a psyclogical standpoint, which is an often under looked aspect of football that plays a much bigger role than many would think.

Norwich have lost what 11 EPL games in a row; the worst ever sequence? Confidence will be through the floor and into the basement.

I think you are really stretching the psychological pov to enhance your question CC. Anyone who has played any reasonable level of sport knows and appreciates that side of the game, and at the top levels, it is a very big part of the preparations and the vast majority of fans are aware of it. 

There'll be no downing of tools and if you even question that, then it is you that doesn't understand or appreciate

4 minutes ago, Big Vince said:

Norwich have lost what 11 EPL games in a row; the worst ever sequence? Confidence will be through the floor and into the basement.

I’m going to assume this is sarcasm, given that there was a championship winning season between the 10th and 11th games!

• Like 1

Don’t think the previous 10 are really going to be preying on the minds of the current team and Farkes a good enough manager to ensure the Liverpool result won’t drop heads. What is damaging is the massive boost Watford and Brentford will have got from their results. A difficult task got harder after week 1 

9 minutes ago, Canary Jedi said:

I’m going to assume this is sarcasm, given that there was a championship winning season between the 10th and 11th games!

Uhoh no I don’t think it is. I remember this stat kept getting used against us when we started pretty poorly last year too, which proved to be pretty idiotic by the end of the season. Looks like the doom mongers have found a new stick to beat the club with- well, not even a new stick, just a repurposed one from last year… hopefully Vince is the only one who resorts to it on here but I’ve got a bad feeling he might not be. Especially if it gets mentioned on Sky / MOTD which I think it sadly might! 

10 minutes ago, Canary Jedi said:

These “records” may technically be correct but they are tedious and ridiculous - I saw it quoted before the game, but given it’s effectively across three seasons with our record promotion season in between it is wholly irrelevant.  
It’s like saying Brentford won their first top flight game for 50/60-whatever years - it’s just idiotic as they weren’t in the top flight for those seasons (oddly they didn’t draw or lose any either).  Ipswich haven’t won a PL game for 28 years…that’s also true and irrelevant, but at least it’s funny.

• Like 2

Psychology is a big part of football and Farke and his coaches will have been working on that.  Losing to Liverpool in your first game of the season is nothing more than a kick up the back side.  Expecting we will be better as the weeks go by and every season under Farke has seen a faltering start and improvement as new players gel into the team.

As for next week, we may well lose that as well, wouldn't be unexpected, but I would be thinking we will be better prepared with more players fit and the very new players more comfortable with things. Win or lose, I think we will perfom well next week and that will lead to more improvement in the following matches.  

It was always going to be a tough start and these extra difficult first few matches should hone us and get us up to speed to be better able to deal with other teams later on in the season. 

In other words, a tough start is good for the psychology. If your mentality is right (and it will be under Farke), you only get better by playing the best.

• Like 1

To be fair to the OP, I think there is an element of psychology that comes into it when teams play us. 

Most teams will be of the view that they will get 3 points if they apply themselves. That's probably based on us being a newly promoted club and a history of repeated relegations.

It's essentially the polar opposite of the feeling we have when playing City, Liverpool or United. It's also what I feel contributes towards the 'Along Come Norwich' idea. A team on a losing streak or a striker who hasn't scored will look at us and think 'this is the game we're going to win'.

It is up to us to change how people view us and stop being that club. 

You do realise we were playing Liverpool, don’t you?  The psychology of losing an expected game is far less impactful than losing one you should win.  Anyone reading something ‘deep’ into these first two games is an idiot.

Edited by Branston Pickle

56 minutes ago, Big Vince said:

I guess that will be the same basement where mummy has confined you for 23 hours of the day.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Do we think there's going to be any kind of downed tools against Man City next week or do we think our players are still going to be going for it?

And how different do with think our camps mindset is right now vs Brentford and Watford?

I'll consider that issue when Watford and Brentford have been thumped by one of the top 4.

I think the players will have been relieved to have got minutes on the pitch and also to have got 'that one' out of the way. I'm sure Farke will have rightly taken lots of positives from yesterday.

The reverse physiology is that teams who won think it will be easy.

Ridiculous statement to say players will be downing tools!

I think the players will be fine for next week but momentum does count for a lot at this level and there is a danger that if we go 4 or 5 straight defeats at the start of the season the confidence will drain away. I do think the fixtures we have been handed are a bit “unfair” in that regard. Huge pressure on the Leicester game now too. 

Isn't that where the mentality of don't celebrate the highs of a win too much, nor get too down after a defeat comes into play? 

Keeping things in perspective 

34 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Is this just a roundabout way of us being reminded how great the people’s champions from last season, Brentford, are?

I suppose Norwich could carry the scars of limp campaigns in recent seasons in the Premier league. Time will tell but Sargent, Tzolis and Rashica should be very influential in getting positive results. Brentford and Watford deservedly won their opening matches but we have a squad to match them both. 

I just listened to the Farke reaction video on YouTube. He more or less said that apart from the goals we pretty much matched Liverpool in terms of general play. So I would say if anything this will actually increase the confidence of the team.

Edited by Canary Jedi
  • Like 1

I said before the season even started we were going to have a long hard season due to a lack of investment

yesterday was proof once again I called it right yet again.

I wish I didn’t get it spot on every time but I do unfortunately 

2 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

I suppose Norwich could carry the scars of limp campaigns in recent seasons in the Premier league. Time will tell but Sargent, Tzolis and Rashica should be very influential in getting positive results. Brentford and Watford deservedly won their opening matches but we have a squad to match them both. 

To be honest I think any team would  have to been pretty poor to lose to Arsenal the other night.  I watched Watford and Villa on Sky Football last night and Watford battered Villa and should have won by more. However, Arsenal and Villa are not Liverpool. I will judge more when we come up against a team outside of the top 4 because our season is not going to be defined by games agaisnt the likes of Man United, Liverpool and Man City. 

Edited by Alex

3 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

Is this just a roundabout way of us being reminded how great the people’s champions from last season, Brentford, are?

Probably. Wasn't OP one of those who immediately gave Brentford the league title after they won a game when we didn't and declared them the best team in the league?

But suggesting downing tools 2nd game of the season though, deary me. Absolutely none of the interviews, or in fact anything about the game itself suggested that is ever going to happen. Aside from the fact these are professional sportsmen.

I can only assume that OP doesn't actually understand sports psychology, but the desire to post literally anything for the sake of starting a thread is too much for them.

Honestly it used to be quite funny and I enjoyed that CC used to own it, make fun of themselves a bit and generally revel in the forum police losing it, however it kind of is becoming embarrassing now, and the need for the attention is starting to make me feel bad for them.

Edited by Flying Dutchman

Liverpool are a pretty tight squad at this point, with VvD they should be considered genuine title contenders- just because they were a bit of a parody last year has no bearing on their quality this year.

Often times, failure and rejection are the catalyst for great strides forward (I believe Millwall A several years ago prompted us to buy our current captain) and I'm still comfortable seeing where we are come the end of September. Brentford may continue to do well, but I don't think I've ever seen a team celebrate with a lap of honour for winning the first game of the season- we beat Man City 2 years ago and then got rolled over by Burnley in the next game.

1 hour ago, Uncle Fred said:

I said before the season even started I was going to have a long hard season due to a lack of football intelligence .

yesterday was proof once again I called it right yet again.

I wish I didn’t get it spot on every time but I do unfortunately, as I have realised that I am a cretin.

👍

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Greavsy said:

Isn't that where the mentality of don't celebrate the highs of a win too much, nor get too down after a defeat comes into play? 

Keeping things in perspective 

That's a good point, we are the newly promoted side and will be playing against world class sides on a regular basis now. I don't enjoy losing ever but the quality of the opposition has to put things in perspective. For Liverpool it was a routine win yesterday and they move on, had we won we would be talking about it for the next 2 years. We are in a different world that we earned the right to play in but we will nearly always be the under dog. If we can accumulate enough points against the bottom half Premier league sides we may have a chance, losing against the top 6 is highly likely and not where survival will be decided.

29 minutes ago, Mullet said:

That's a good point, we are the newly promoted side and will be playing against world class sides on a regular basis now. I don't enjoy losing ever but the quality of the opposition has to put things in perspective. For Liverpool it was a routine win yesterday and they move on, had we won we would be talking about it for the next 2 years. We are in a different world that we earned the right to play in but we will nearly always be the under dog. If we can accumulate enough points against the bottom half Premier league sides we may have a chance, losing against the top 6 is highly likely and not where survival will be decided.

That lot down the road would have been talking about it for decades and even awarded themselves a star, if it was them! 

Burnley lost at home to Brighton. If we'd done that we might have reason to be disappointed, as Burnley fans will be. We lost to Liverpool, who will finish in the top 4. How many of our immediate rivals will take points from Liverpool?

Getting off to a good start is vital to stay up. This is a fact... DF has work to do, heads will drop , which is human...but our coach is up to it.

The more of a meal we make of it as fans and the negativity that's created by that , will only make it tougher for the squad.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sgncfc said:

Burnley lost at home to Brighton. If we'd done that we might have reason to be disappointed, as Burnley fans will be. We lost to Liverpool, who will finish in the top 4. How many of our immediate rivals will take points from Liverpool?

Exactly this. I think the only real surprises were Watford beating Villa but was always possible with so many new signings on the pitch, and Brentford beating a very poor Arsenal. No doubt both Villa and Arsenal will be up to speed by the time we get around to playing them but hey ho.

In terms of performance we were still in the game and it was 2 very poor defensive lapses (that didn't happen last season) that undone our hard work. Cut those out and a 1-0 defeat to a top 4 side is not a bad result. Lots of positive to take despite the defeat.