Webber admitted we went into a fight without a gun last time we were promoted. This time we have spent more money but we have also lost our two best players from last season. With both the other promoted teams already on a win - what did you think yesterday? 

Are we now fighting with a gun or still lacking the players to be competitive? 

For me the rest of this window is MASSIVE in terms of success or failure. We certainly won’t stay up without reinforcements especially at CDM 

2 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Webber admitted we went into a fight without a gun last time we were promoted. This time we have spent more money but we have also lost our two best players from last season. With both the other promoted teams already on a win - what did you think yesterday? 

For me the rest of this window is MASSIVE in terms of success or failure. We certainly won’t stay up without reinforcements especially at CDM 

Man United beat Leeds 5-1

Chelsea beat Palace 3-0

We lost to Liverpool 3-0

So do Leeds and Palace not have a gun either? Or should we perhaps wait say 8-9 more games before trying to raise such debates?

Yes we do need a CDM though 👍

• Like 1

Not to be too philosophical but what is a gun exactly? I don’t think Webber means any one player in particular, more the ability of the team to fire the gun. 
Having said that, it’s clear as a team we need to improve in the firing department. It feels like we’ve got the components to make a half decent gun, they are just still in the process of assembly. Christ, this is a tough analogy!

3 minutes ago, Canary Jedi said:

Not to be too philosophical but what is a gun exactly? I don’t think Webber means any one player in particular, more the ability of the team to fire the gun. 
Having said that, it’s clear as a team we need to improve in the firing department. It feels like we’ve got the components to make a half decent gun, they are just still in the process of assembly. Christ, this is a tough analogy!

If we were living in a brutalist county where results really mattered, then those in high echelons would have been off to the firing squad at 6am this morning.

Also just to add I don’t think one game against ANY opponent would be fair to try to judge our new signings. Particularly as we only just got a couple of them through the door and suffered a very patchy pre season. Again, 8-9 more games and we’ll have a much better idea or not, and even then we may see some perhaps struggle to adapt. But really we just need 3-4 of our new signings to come off well, however I thought the early signs for all of them were a cause for optimism yesterday.

Yesterday we went into battle with a half fit team against one of the best sides in world football and competed well for 60 or so minutes. I also thought we looked ok once the subs came on so arguably they were just made far too late. But the game was already lost and I’m sure Farke was looking at the bigger picture (minutes in the tank for those that need them most etc).

Personally, I took quite a lot of encouragement from yesterday’s match but still expect a similar result next match.

For me, our season effectively starts against Leicester by which time, I expect the squad will be much more prepared and based on what we’re being told, bolstered by another couple of players.

Im not worried yet.  All eyes on Spurs today! 

• Like 6

31 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

We certainly have a section of the fanbase already firing 'blanks' when they should be looking at the positives. 

Against a lesser opposition we would have done enough to secure at least a point and that takes into account covid et al.

Get a grip

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Clint said:

Yesterday we went into battle with a half fit team against one of the best sides in world football and competed well for 60 or so minutes. I also thought we looked ok once the subs came on so arguably they were just made far too late. But the game was already lost and I’m sure Farke was looking at the bigger picture (minutes in the tank for those that need them most etc).

Personally, I took quite a lot of encouragement from yesterday’s match but still expect a similar result next match.

For me, our season effectively starts against Leicester by which time, I expect the squad will be much more prepared and based on what we’re being told, bolstered by another couple of players.

Im not worried yet.  All eyes on Spurs today! 

Agreed, Clint…

Was at CR yesterday and saw enough (yellow and) green shoots to remain reasonably positive about the season ahead, although it will of course be a tough one. 

My sense of it is that Farke and his team see the first two games as an extension of preseason as we bed in players and work towards completing the window.

It was a good run out with some solid individual performances. Critically no one was injured. Tactically, a couple of things still missing - most notably the ability to press as a team at critical moments. 

That said, Rashica, Sargent, Cantwell, Gilmour, Giannoulis and Aarons all showed the required level of quality at times. Something to build on.

And that look from Van Dijk when Idah rinsed him suggested the latter could indeed have an impact this season. 

If we can take 4 points from the first four games than we’ll all be happy, and I think it’s possible. Of the current starting XI I Rupp’s position is the only one most in need of an urgent upgrade. 

13 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Neither of the promoted teams played anyone even vaguely close to the quality of Liverpool. It means absolutely nothing and you know it.

6 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Neither of the promoted teams played anyone even vaguely close to the quality of Liverpool. It means absolutely nothing and you know it.

Exactly, Hoggy. Let’s see how Brentford etc fair against Liverpool too. I tipped Arsenal to win on Friday night but I was staggered when I saw their line up, it has to be their worst line up in decades! It’s basically about 2 Arsenal standard players and the rest I wouldn’t want here! I shouldn’t take anything away from Brentford but the brutal reality is that they played an Arsenal side that were only there but in name. 

It’s not just about the players though, the coaches and even Webber and co are also important here. We committed 4 fouls in that game. Liverpool did 14. They routinely fouled our full backs before they could get up the pitch and build moves. This is a deliberate ploy and we need to wise up and get more cynical ourselves and stop moves before they reach our half. I would hope it’s something our analysts identify. 

equally our current squad should be capable of being well drilled and defending set pieces. These are the types of marginal gains we didn’t benefit from last time and risk missing out on again.

that plus yes Farke needs a gun in the shape of a DM.

You couldn't have a much tougher fixture to start the season, we had numerous players who've had very little pre-season (which was also interrupted by Covid), as well as having a number of new players that need to settle and adapt to the team and how we play, so it was no surprise to see us not get a result against Liverpool.

I'd fully support the view that the opening games are against generally tough opponents and it's likely Farke will be using this time to get everyone up to speed and on the same hymn sheet, even at the cost of a point here or there as it will stand us in much better stead for the rest of the season.

Anyone to reacts to this game as an indicator of the season as a whole is ignoring the evidence of our situation fitness wise, and only the most pessimistic would write us off after that showing.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Indy_Bones said:

You couldn't have a much tougher fixture to start the season, we had numerous players who've had very little pre-season (which was also interrupted by Covid), as well as having a number of new players that need to settle and adapt to the team and how we play, so it was no surprise to see us not get a result against Liverpool.

I'd fully support the view that the opening games are against generally tough opponents and it's likely Farke will be using this time to get everyone up to speed and on the same hymn sheet, even at the cost of a point here or there as it will stand us in much better stead for the rest of the season.

Anyone to reacts to this game as an indicator of the season as a whole is ignoring the evidence of our situation fitness wise, and only the most pessimistic would write us off after that showing.

It’s not too dissimilar to Aston Villa’s message board re Emi. Half of them think we’ve mugged them, the other half are a bit smarter and recognise he’s only come back into training this week after missing half of pre season - just like our players have. We all know he will succeed there, and likewise it’s encouraging to see the debuts of the likes of Rashica etc, who outperformed Buendia against a far better side than what Emi was facing. Lots of clubs in a similar position, even Man City are clearly still off the pace by their standards. 

21 minutes ago, Indy_Bones said:

Don’t think anyone is writing us off are they? We can all recognise we’ve got two dreadful opening games we will lose and also that we’ve had a disrupted pre season.

I do think though that when the same inherent weaknesses that cost us last time (or in the case of the DM recruitment have not been addressed despite being incredibly obvious) are very apparent through the performance (as they were at Newcastle the week before) then fans are entitled to and will comment on it?

13 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Don’t think anyone is writing us off are they? We can all recognise we’ve got two dreadful opening games we will lose and also that we’ve had a disrupted pre season.

I do think though that when the same inherent weaknesses that cost us last time (or in the case of the DM recruitment have not been addressed despite being incredibly obvious) are very apparent through the performance (as they were at Newcastle the week before) then fans are entitled to and will comment on it?

Only even the DM issue isn't a case of it 'not being addressed'. You cant sign players just because you want to. The other club have to be willing, the player has to want to come to us, and the signing has to be an obvious improvement on what we've got. That's not always easy and we've done far more business than a lot of clubs who are still waiting to make important signings for themselves.

You say 'we can all recognise', but the OP has already compared our game against Liverpool to Watfords vs Villa for crying out loud (interesting note, Villa fans not impressed with Emi so far).

4 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Only even the DM issue isn't a case of it 'not being addressed'. You cant sign players just because you want to. The other club have to be willing, the player has to want to come to us, and the signing has to be an obvious improvement on what we've got. That's not always easy and we've done far more business than a lot of clubs who are still waiting to make important signings for themselves.

You say 'we can all recognise', but the OP has already compared our game against Liverpool to Watfords vs Villa for crying out loud (interesting note, Villa fans not impressed with Emi so far).

If it had been a priority we would have signed someone ages ago. Maybe they were holding out for Skipp but if not there is no reason why a DM couldn’t have been one of our first signings. I’m not at all convinced it has been a priority (billing is not actually that sort of player) although it may suddenly be now.

16 hours ago, Uncle Fred said:

What was clear yesterday is that we haven’t got close so far to replacing the creativity of Emi!

I think Rashica showed plenty of promise. In fact, he's been thrown in at the deep end against world class defenders and still looked good. Emi was thrown in against Championship defenders and didn't actually register an assist until October, his 8th appearance, and didn't get a goal until we were almost in November in his 12th appearance. From then on he tore it up.

It's a tall, tall order, but Rashica certainly has the chance to become a suitable Buendia replacement. He certainly had a better game than Emi did on Saturday!

17 hours ago, Uncle Fred said:

What was clear yesterday is that we haven’t got close so far to replacing the creativity of Emi!

According to some Villa fans they haven't got close to replacing Grealish either 😁

18 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

According to some Villa fans they haven't got close to replacing Grealish either 😁

Emi and Pukki had a great understanding I suppose it will take both Emi and our guys a fair few games to get that going again 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

If it had been a priority we would have signed someone ages ago. Maybe they were holding out for Skipp but if not there is no reason why a DM couldn’t have been one of our first signings. I’m not at all convinced it has been a priority (billing is not actually that sort of player) although it may suddenly be now.

Its really not that simple though, it's not Football Manager. We know how our recruitment works, it has too be the right player with the right personality to fit in at the right price, all that in a slow market. I would never want us to sign somebody for the sake of it who is no better than what we already have just to appease some supporters. If it takes a few weeks longer to get the right player in then so be it, it's not anywhere near black and white.

To answer the the OP yes we have a gun but weather it's big enough remains to be seen. Pre season has really hamstrung us but assuming we get the three remaining signings in the building (I think we will) then I think we will have done all we can to equip ourselves for survival and have a much, much better chance of doing so than two years ago.

9 hours ago, hogesar said:

Jim is now available in stereo. From the pink un Q&A:

Jim: Whilst I think there was enough promise in that display not to lose hope and the pre-season disruption is some mitigation I was worried by (i) shambolic defending at set pieces once again often leaving 3 or 4 players unmarked on the edge of the box and (ii) the incredibly obvious hole in front of the defence flowing from the lack of a defensive midfielder that every fan can see we need. Time for the club to be put under a bit more pressure to address these things? A DM should have been our first signing and defensive marking should be a given regardless of the quality of the players.

Edited by PurpleCanary
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Jim in now available in stereo. From the pink un Q&A:

Jim: Whilst I think there was enough promise in that display not to lose hope and the pre-season disruption is some mitigation I was worried by (i) shambolic defending at set pieces once again often leaving 3 or 4 players unmarked on the edge of the box and (ii) the incredibly obvious hole in front of the defence flowing from the lack of a defensive midfielder that every fan can see we need. Time for the club to be put under a bit more pressure to address these things? A DM should have been our first signing and defensive marking should be a given regardless of the quality of the players.

I spotted that, Purple, and with all due respect to Jimbo, I have no idea what he means by putting pressure on the club to sign a DM? I mean???

• Haha 1