Jump to content
Crabbycanary3

The homophobic chant at Billy Gilmour

Recommended Posts

Maybe don’t make “throwaway” comments  about people based on nothing but your own prejudices?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Maybe you can stop presuming to know everything about someone based on chat on a football forum?  Then again, I hadn’t appreciated you had a role as forum dictator.

Edited by Branston Pickle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, horsefly said:

Christ almighty! You still can't distinguish between calling a chant racist and calling everyone engaged in that chant racist. The two things can not be conflated. How can anyone make this more simple for you to understand?

It’s not a racist chant. It’s a chant that may be taken up with particular glee by some racists because in this instance the players are black but it’s not a racist chant. I’m sure Southgate had similar things chanted at him after he missed the penalty at Euro 96. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

It’s not a racist chant. It’s a chant that may be taken up with particular glee by some racists because in this instance the players are black but it’s not a racist chant. I’m sure Southgate had similar things chanted at him after he missed the penalty at Euro 96. 

Chroisht!!! Hell has frozen over at last. I am 100% in agreement with Jimbo.👍😇😉.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, lake district canary said:

I've now read through this too and the way Horsefly and others of his ilk talk, it is as if anything you say about a black person is racist. It's the same with the jewish issue - to some people you can't say anything at all about that issue without being called anti-semitic.  It actually destroys balanced debate. 

It's become as simple as saying you can abuse a white person for missing a penalty but you can't abuse a black man for missing a penalty.  It's almost comical.  Abuse is unsavoury wherever it occurs and I would far rather all abuse was condemned - and to say one set of abuse is racist and another set of abuse is acceptable is kind of....well.....a bit ridiculous. 

My opinion - and the same as most on here - is that some of the chant about those penalty takers would have been racially motivated, but a lot of it wouldn't.  Either way it is a pathetic chant and that it has stuck and we will probably hear it whenever those players are on the field is a sad reflection on football supporters as a whole - not because of whether it is racist or not, but because it is just abuse. 

Out of reactions. So have a 👍

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

It’s not a racist chant. It’s a chant that may be taken up with particular glee by some racists because in this instance the players are black but it’s not a racist chant. I’m sure Southgate had similar things chanted at him after he missed the penalty at Euro 96. 

I used Southgate as an example to him pages ago, possibly page 1. Funnily enough he ignored that one 😏

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

I used Southgate as an example to him pages ago, possibly page 1. Funnily enough he ignored that one 😏

Despite not being 100% convinced that Horso is Bilious.... they do have some, how you say, idiosyncrasies that are, to put it mildly, similar. ....to the point that now Horso is calling people liars...which is worrying. There is also a bit of know all belligerence...or should I say Billigerance? 😉 Time will tell and the truth will out.

FWIW.  Chanting ' you let your country down' is not racist, pure and simple.  Nor is Chanting it at black players, unless you mention the colour of their skin or any other supposed 'differences.' 

Those windmills really are windmills Horso......they ain't dragons.  

PS I am 1/8 Indian. Does that make me a worse or a better racist than someone 100%Anglo Saxon/Celt/ Norse?

😇😇😉

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Despite not being 100% convinced that Horso is Bilious.... they do have some, how you say, idiosyncrasies that are, to put it mildly, similar. ....to the point that now Horso is calling people liars...which is worrying. 

 

I'm don't know if he is Bill in all honesty, I just know it winds him up 😁, I understand though there was a post were he was caught out. 

I actually have a suspicion Horsie is another one of our more aggressive fellow posters, but it's just an inkling so I'll remain quiet for now as if I'm wrong that wouldn't be fair on them. 

You are right though, there are many similar characteristics between them, and my suspected 3rd poster. Don't get it personally, but whatever floats your boat 🤷‍♂️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Nuff Said said:

Any other large groups of people, who in your opinion are all exactly the same, that you’d like to criticise? Blacks, Jews, women? Under 25s, over 70s? 

To be fair, isn’t that exactly what we do about Ipswich fans… 😆

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Isn't it interesting that the same people who want to claim an "obvious" link between chanting that players who missed penalties "let their country down" and racist online messages, also want to claim that their is absolutely no link between taking the knee and the BLM movement- despite the months of banners, slogans and statements of support throughout football when all this started.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A thread that was supposed to be about homophobia barely got down the first page before it turned into a racist non racist debate. Seems to be a sign of the times. Role on the day when everybody can be treated the same regardless of their skin colour.

Unfortunately the emerging trend is that it's no longer enough to be non racist, you now have to be 'anti racist' and as far as I can see that means treating people of colour differently to how to may have done before. This means that the aforementioned chants will probably be viewed as racist if directed at black person even though it's perfectly acceptable if the exact same chant is directed at a white person.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

To be fair, isn’t that exactly what we do about Ipswich fans… 😆

What’s that saying about the exception that proves the rule? 
 

CEB50F97-2394-4D7D-A180-9500FFF59582.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not even going to wade in on whether the chants were racist or not, as I think most posters have made their mind up on it already.

However, I do find it hard how anyone can sit there and say it happened to Southgate so there's nothing wrong with it. You can constantly see how his penalty miss plays on his mind and the (unfair) guilt he carries for missing it. Subjecting another person to that sort of feeling is totally unnecessary in my view.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, repman said:

However, I do find it hard how anyone can sit there and say it happened to Southgate so there's nothing wrong with it. 

Who said that? If that's how you've read my comment, and the other chap who cited Southgate then you've not understood the point that was made. 

Edited by Ken Hairy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, repman said:

I'm not even going to wade in on whether the chants were racist or not, as I think most posters have made their mind up on it already.

However, I do find it hard how anyone can sit there and say it happened to Southgate so there's nothing wrong with it. You can constantly see how his penalty miss plays on his mind and the (unfair) guilt he carries for missing it. Subjecting another person to that sort of feeling is totally unnecessary in my view.

...not sure if anyones saying that...merely pointing out that this kind of thing has happened before to many players who've perceived to have failed with england...be it sendings off, own goals, keeper errors or penalty misses regardless of race.

Its Leeds v Man United at the end of the day. This is a game where fans have countered chants about the Munich disaster with chants about Leeds fans being murdered in Turkey.

Chanting about a couple of players missing penalties is smallfry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The rashford/Sancho chant isn’t racist 

and we have literally rented Billy Gilmour, a boy, from Chelsea so that’s probably not homophobic either…joking of course

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Over the years I’ve tried to support and chant for my club, rather than denigrate the opposition. I’ve not always kept to my principles. Personally I’ve always thought getting behind your team winds up the opposing fans more than any abuse. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, corbs said:

Over the years I’ve tried to support and chant for my club, rather than denigrate the opposition. I’ve not always kept to my principles. Personally I’ve always thought getting behind your team winds up the opposing fans more than any abuse. 

Thanks for your contribution 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Yobocop said:

The rashford/Sancho chant isn’t racist 

and we have literally rented Billy Gilmour, a boy, from Chelsea so that’s probably not homophobic either…joking of course

We have not rented him though, he is on loan. Rent and renting refers to property (house, car etc). It is a shame that a thread about homophobia quickly got hijacked. We have taken great strides in this country to tackle racism, there is still a lot to be done of course......but society in general and football in particular is light years behind when it comes to tackling homophobia..........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Ken Hairy said:

We're countering the suggestion that it was ALL racially motivated which many of us have quoted posts to suggest Horse did indeed originally intend it that way, its him who hasn't proved counter that and is of course back tracking now to suggest that isn't what he meant. 

So all you can do is repeat exactly the same lie without providing one quote where I am supposed to have made such a claim. You are behaving exactly like Donald Trump; keep repeating the same lie and hope somehow enough people will come to believe it to be true. My 100% proof that I didn't say what your claiming is my posts themselves, which ought to be an obvious fact to anyone who has the slightest grasp of what the concept of "evidence" means. The fact that you can't find one quote to support your claim that I said that the fans involved in the chant were "ALL racially motivated" is 100% evidence that this is a lie. 

That you know you lied about what I said is given away by your not very subtle attempt to now claim that even though you can't find a quote to back up your claim that I said the fans were "ALL  racially motivated" it is "What Horse originally intended". The laughable hypocrisy of this lie is quite exquisite. So having begun your posts with the claim it is disgusting to claim that one knows the intentions with which fans engaged in a chant (A point I agree with and have supported from the start, and indeed explained at length), you now think it acceptable to claim that you know what my intentions were in the posts I made. You really couldn't make this hypocritical nonsense up. It's actually you who are guilty of the very thing that you falsely claimed I was guilty of. Quite remarkable!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Yobocop said:

And we have literally rented Billy Gilmour, a boy, from Chelsea so that’s probably not homophobic either…joking of course

It isn't funny.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was not going to get involved in the discussion regarding the chanting by the Leeds fans but I have decided to. Watching BBC Breakfast this morning with Mrs Boadicea and there was an item about two documentaries commissioned by the BBC being up for an award at the National Television Awards, the first was about Rob Burrows and living with MND and the other about Marcus Rashford and his work around meal vouchers, when Marcus appeared on the screen Mrs Bodicea did a "You missed, you missed" chant at the the TV, I told her to stop being racist, she gave me the angry wife "death stare" and told me to stop being so stupid, I said "You are only doing it because he is black", she again told me to stop being so stupid, and said "I am only doing it because the idiot missed a penalty, look at all the abuse Gareth Southgate got when he missed a penalty and he is still reminded about it all these years later". This actually happened and Mrs Boadicea has no knowledge of the discussion on this message board. Can I ask that we leave the argument there, without speaking to each individual about their motivation none of us can say the chant was/was not racially motivated and it is totally wrong to apply a blanket statement that everybody chanting was being racist or everybody chanting was not being racist, as ever the truth is somewhere in the middle, I personally lean towards it being about the hared between Man Utd and Leeds and I am confident that had Rashford and Sancho scored their penalties but Harry Maguire had missed and England had lost, he would have been on the receiving end of the chant...............

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

I was not going to get involved in the discussion regarding the chanting by the Leeds fans but I have decided to. Watching BBC Breakfast this morning with Mrs Boadicea and there was an item about two documentaries commissioned by the BBC being up for an award at the National Television Awards, the first was about Rob Burrows and living with MND and the other about Marcus Rashford and his work around meal vouchers, when Marcus appeared on the screen Mrs Bodicea did a "You missed, you missed" chant at the the TV, I told her to stop being racist, she gave me the angry wife "death stare" and told me to stop being so stupid, I said "You are only doing it because he is black", she again told me to stop being so stupid, and said "I am only doing it because the idiot missed a penalty, look at all the abuse Gareth Southgate got when he missed a penalty and he is still reminded about it all these years later". This actually happened and Mrs Boadicea has no knowledge of the discussion on this message board. Can I ask that we leave the argument there, without speaking to each individual about their motivation none of us can say the chant was/was not racially motivated and it is totally wrong to apply a blanket statement that everybody chanting was being racist or everybody chanting was not being racist, as ever the truth is somewhere in the middle, I personally lean towards it being about the hared between Man Utd and Leeds and I am confident that had Rashford and Sancho scored their penalties but Harry Maguire had missed and England had lost, he would have been on the receiving end of the chant...............

Your wife isn't racist. She is deeply unpleasant though. Next time she makes a mistake I hope you are on hand to repeatedly remind her of it in the form of a football chant and call her an idiot as she is willing to do to a 23 year old man who has done more for this country on and off the field than most of us will achieve in a lifetime.

Edited by Terminally Yellow
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Your wife isn't racist. She is deeply unpleasant though. Next time she makes a mistake I hope you are on hand to repeatedly remind her of it in the form of a football chant and call her an idiot as she is willing to do to a 23 year old man who has done more for this country on and off the field than most of us will achieve in a lifetime.

Well you would know all about being deeply unpleasant..........

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, horsefly said:

The fact that you can't find one quote to support your claim that I said that the fans involved in the chant were "ALL racially motivated" is 100% evidence that this is a lie. 

That you know you lied...

quack quack

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ken Hairy said:

You're quite a comical chappy aren't you Horsie? 😂

He is a few sandwiches short of a picnic that is for sure 😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While it is reassuring that people are prepared to stand up to racism and homophobia, it is equally reassuring that nobody on here appears to be racist or homophobic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Ken Hairy said:

You're quite a comical chappy aren't you Horsie? 😂

So yet again nothing to say in response, apart from an attempt to distract from the fact that you lied, and are not a big enough person to admit you got things completely wrong. Par for the course it seems.

Edited by horsefly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Van wink said:

quack quack

Your most intelligent comment for ages. Pathetic!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...