Crabbycanary3

The homophobic chant at Billy Gilmour

5 minutes ago, horsefly said:

It obviously was.

It obviously wasnt...leeds were playing man united.. man united had 2 players in the squad who missed pens for england

....or are you oblivious to the rivalry that exists between Leeds/Man Utd?

Just now, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

It obviously wasnt...leeds were playing man united.. man united had 2 players in the squad who missed pens for england

....or are you oblivious to the rivalry that exists between Leeds/Man Utd?

Are you oblivious to the fact that these players recieved a torrent of racist abuse after the Euro final? Do you think that Leeds fans were oblivious to that torrent of racist abuse too? Using the old excuse "we were just having a go at the opposition" no longer washes. How many other Man U players were singled out for abuse? I'll guarantee that Leeds fans who are positively anti-racist will have refused to join in that chant, just as I any many others will do if it were to happen when City play United. That's primarily because we know that any such chant can't be abstracted from the knowledge of the disgusting racist abuse that those players recieved.

The comment below comes from some Liverpool fans who also were at the game.đź‘Źđź‘Ź

“Great result today marred by homophobic chanting by some of our fans targeting Chelsea loanee Billy Gilmour. If you can't support without resorting to bigoted nonsense, you don't understand YNWA.”

2 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Are you oblivious to the fact that these players recieved a torrent of racist abuse after the Euro final? Do you think that Leeds fans were oblivious to that torrent of racist abuse too? Using the old excuse "we were just having a go at the opposition" no longer washes. How many other Man U players were singled out for abuse? I'll guarantee that Leeds fans who are positively anti-racist will have refused to join in that chant, just as I any many others will do if it were to happen when City play United. That's primarily because we know that any such chant can't be abstracted from the knowledge of the disgusting racist abuse that those players recieved.

I'm no lover of Leeds fans but to suggest there was anything racially morivated in that chant is ridiculous/outrageous.

You've already touched upon it yourself. They were 'having a go at the opposition' and would have sung that about any Man Utd player.

5 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

I remember Rob Green getting it awfully too after his howler.

Indeed....we all also remember the effigy of Beckham being hanged outside upton park after his red card in world cup '98

2 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

I remember Rob Green getting it awfully too after his howler.

Had he been in receipt of a torrent of well publicised racist abuse? I'm afraid football doesn't take place in a vacuum, and there is no way simply to abstract from the reality of the racist abuse that these players suffered. Any fan joining in with such a chant implicates themselves in that abuse. There are plenty of ways in which opposing fans can express their feelings of enmity to the opposition without utilising the crude and unacceptable resorts to homophobia and racial prejudice. 

1 minute ago, horsefly said:

Had he been in receipt of a torrent of well publicised racist abuse? I'm afraid football doesn't take place in a vacuum, and there is no way simply to abstract from the reality of the racist abuse that these players suffered. Any fan joining in with such a chant implicates themselves in that abuse. There are plenty of ways in which opposing fans can express their feelings of enmity to the opposition without utilising the crude and unacceptable resorts to homophobia and racial prejudice. 

Sancho and Rashford werent being racially abused yesterday

8 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

The racism here is enlightened white liberals thinking black people need to be babied.

The players themselves have openly said that the racism they experience is intolerable now. It's not "babying them" to listen to that message and question whether a chant is or is not racist.

I actually think that this particular example is difficult, it's not inherently racist (just ****ty), but some of those chanting it probably did do it because those players are black and wouldn't have done it to white player. Given you cant differentiate between them, I'm not sure there is anything that can be done about that.

Edited by 1902
  • Like 1

Sancho and Rashford werent being racially abused yesterday

As I said, there is no way to abstract from the fact that these guys were in receipt of a torrent of racist abuse after the Euro finals. Did Shaw and Maguire receive personal abuse for being Euro final failures?

• Like 1

As I said, there is no way to abstract from the fact that these guys were in receipt of a torrent of racist abuse after the Euro finals. Did Shaw and Maguire receive personal abuse for being Euro final failures?

Just a hunch...they werent sung about because they didnt miss the penalties??

If it had been them 2 instead...Leeds would have just as readily sung about them too...such is the rivalry between leeds/man utd

...but that wouldnt suit your ridiculous asserstion

16 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

I'm no lover of Leeds fans but to suggest there was anything racially morivated in that chant is ridiculous/outrageous.

Really? Wow! I'm not sure what planet you've been living on.

• Like 1

Just now, KeiranShikari said:

As far as I remember theyt didn't miss the vital pens.

As far as I remember they were in the team that didn't win. 

1 minute ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Just a hunch...they werent sung about because they didnt miss the penalties??

If it had been them 2 instead...Leeds would have just as readily sung about them too...such is the rivalry between leeds/man utd

...but that wouldnt suit your ridiculous asserstion

They were in the team that failed to win but for some reason that was not a reason to chant that fact, I wonder why!

Just now, horsefly said:

Is any abuse of a black player necessarily racist? Does having received racist abuse in the past mean that any future abuse is necessarily racist?

It may well be that Leeds fans were racially motivated in abusing Sancho and Rashford but the fact that these players have previously been the victims of racial abuse isn't evidence of racial motivation in this case.

If Maguire had missed his penalty but escaped abuse then yes that would be good evidence that the abuse of Rashford and Sancho was racially motivated.

On the topic of the OP the "Chelsea Rent Boy" thing has been a chant for years and I agree it's homophobic and not welcome. I also think it's a stretch to claim that the "Always the victims" chant has absolutely nothing to do with Hillsborough. If I were a Liverpool fan who'd been falsely blamed for Hillsborough for years I'd feel rightfully aggrieved at that chant too.

They were in the team that failed to win but for some reason that was not a reason to chant that fact, I wonder why!

Youre actually prepared to appear this stupid just to maintain your professionally offended stance?

Jesus christ

I'll leave you to your cosy world in which all the accusations of racism are just nonsense and the Leeds fans (and fans at every other club for that matter) have no past in racist abuse whatsoever.

4 hours ago, Greavsy said:

Been discussing this chant about Gilmour, and it's been suggested Norwich fans chanted about Hillsborough during the first half. 

Not going to repeat the chant on here, but personally I heard neither. Did anyone hear the Norwich fans chant anything like that. (I must admit whilst I was aware of the chant previously but not that it was directly about Hillsborough, I thought it was just a general comment about scousers). 

Didnt hear that, heard something about their employment status and something to do with somebody alledgedly being light fingered, a rather oblique reference to Tony Martin, oh and also always, in the view of some, being a victim............but thats was all I heard..........

1 minute ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Youre actually prepared to appear this stupid just to maintain your professionally offended stance?

You're actually prepared to appear this thick to keep posting misspelt posts proclaiming there is no racist abuse going on when chants like this are directed at black players. Perhaps you might like to explain what a "professionally offended stance" is supposed to be. On second thoughts don't bother.

4 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

I heard neither, certainly nothing anti Liverpool…but of course Liverpool will always make themselves the victim, it’s what they do best.

That’s certainly not intended as a slight on anyone who suffered at Hillsborough, it’s a general observation about the whole city and it’s attitude. 

It’s attitude ??  
by chance how much time have you spent in the city to observe this ??

1 minute ago, Van wink said:

Didnt hear that, heard something about their employment status and something to do with somebody alledgedly being light fingered, a rather oblique reference to Tony Martin, oh and also always, in the view of some, being a victim............but thats was all I heard..........

Alledgely it's the victim one that is Hillsborough related. Evidently 

1 minute ago, horsefly said:

You're actually prepared to appear this thick to keep posting misspelt posts proclaiming there is no racist abuse going on when chants like this are directed at black players. Perhaps you might like to explain what a "professionally offended stance" is supposed to be. On second thoughts don't bother.

..so. .still no proof that the chant was anything racist?

...only that the 2 players at man utd who missed pens in the penalty shootout , happen to be black?

Thats 'professionally offended'

Pathetic

3 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

Alledgely it's the victim one that is Hillsborough related. Evidently 

Ah right, didnt twig that but should have.