Sign in to follow this  
canarydan23

Closing the door after the horse has bolted

Farke's entire philosophy is that he trusts his players. If he starts subbing people every time we go down then that means nothing. Although sometimes it is frustrating, I do agree.

4 minutes ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

Farke's entire philosophy is that he trusts his players. If he starts subbing people every time we go down then that means nothing. Although sometimes it is frustrating, I do agree.

Even when they are knackered through covid/lack of training, and others could do with a run?  
It’s just a little odd.

Shame not to see some of Tzolis as the game was gone. Maybe in the next game when we’re down 3-0. 

12 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Even when they are knackered through covid/lack of training, and others could do with a run?  
It’s just a little odd.

It is frustrating for sure. That is why he doesnt do it too hastily though.

Although I don't always agree with Dan's colourful delivery... I think he's made some valid points and I agree with just about all of it. 

I got very badly shot down trying to raise a similar discussion last season - perhaps more understandably so as we were top on the league... however for a side which had such strength in depth I did feel like we could use a little more rotation (or at least make some earlier subs) in what was a very congested campaign.

I also think there's a debate to be had over whether our substitution policy may have made it difficult for players like Hernandez and Idah to get back into side and up to speed after their long term injury lay offs. 

Obviously things went fantastically well with the players who did feature, so I am not suggesting that it is anything wrong from Farke - it merely a point of preference. Some managers like a lot of rotation, some managers like a tight-knit group. I would prefer to see a little more rotation. 

It has always been a general point with Farke, if you could draw a scale on 'manager willingness to make substitutions' during certain match situations, Farke would undoubtedly be at the more conservative end. He is particularly cautious where we are narrowly in the lead which is where I had previously noted my own preference. 

The odd thing about today is that it wasn't in keeping with his usual policy for the game situation. He is normally very quick to make a change once we go 2 behind, so I am surprised he didn't roll the dice a little bit. Perhaps some damage limitation with it being the first game of the season against Liverpool, perhaps he felt like it was unlikely to give us enough to turn the tide in the game, but could open us up for a bigger goal deficit?

Whatever the reason I definitely would've preferred to see some subs on sooner. 

I think in part we were spoiled by the Lambert years. He used to go balls to the wall with his changes and more often that not turned defeats into draws, draws into wins and even defeats into wins.

Farke is at the opposite end of the sub spectrum and whilst it can never be proven or disproven, I suspect Lambert's approach gained us more points.

Edited by canarydan23
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

This stunk of just getting players who missed chunks of pre season match minutes. Especially after we went 2 down.

Don't see any other reason why you wouldn't make changes slightly earlier, (even if it wouldn't have changed much, but how do you know unless you try)Pukki especially seemed as though he was puffing out of his backside. 

But we will go again with slightly more fit players and I for one hope sarge gets a start next week. 

This 

Quite obvious after the second that Farke was using this match as an effective preseason game 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Yobocop said:

This 

Quite obvious after the second that Farke was using this match as an effective preseason game 

I think the next game will be the same. It would have  been great to get something out of today and next week but ultimately our season will be defined on playing (and hopefully beating) Palace etc. 

Given how awful our preseason was I feel the next few games are a bit of a free hit in the grand scheme. Obviously I wouldn’t deny a cheeky result 😁

Farke does frustrate when it comes to making subs.

I thought Dowell should have come on at half time for Rupp. Pukki was cut adrift up front. How else were we going to score?

But maybe Farke thought that would have left us too exposed in central midfield, seeing as Dowell only got five minutes at the end.

7 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

And before the p*ssy fundamentalists get their knickers in a twist, I love Farke, think he's fantastic, don't want a new manager etc, etc.

But he's f*cked up today big time.

Hahaha goodness me, have you seen the data on how fit our squad is right now?

Throw them all on and injure them all in a game we have little chance of winning anyway, I say.

You'll never be satisfied.

52 minutes ago, Pyro Pete said:

Farke does frustrate when it comes to making subs.

I thought Dowell should have come on at half time for Rupp. Pukki was cut adrift up front. How else were we going to score?

But maybe Farke thought that would have left us too exposed in central midfield, seeing as Dowell only got five minutes at the end.

I ask, kindly, why everyone is making the assumption that these risks are worth taking with players who are still getting up to speed fitness wise?

Ten games before I even vaguely start to worry about a n y t h I n g.

Hell, ill give it the first five before I even care if we lose

8 hours ago, Justin time said:

You do realise who our first two opponents are ?

Yes I certainly do. One of whom we have beaten home and away in previous prem seasons!. My point is this, there is a clear lack of quality in various positions in the city side, it is very evident, fall six points behind the rest in the first 2/3 matches will be very very difficult to recover from at this level.

• Haha 1

To all of you who "know" exactly when we should make substitutes to save or win a game, please could you send your CVs to NCFC so you can join Farke in the dugout to give him the benefit of having the extremely rare talent of knowing the truth value of a counterfactual conditional. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

The subs were a bit late but the important thing it was the right subs.

I thought Sargent looks some player and Idah put himself about.

Pukki worries me though, but there were lots of positives which hopefully we can move forward with.

Pukki was making some good runs and got behind the defence a few times Im the first half, the timing wasn't there with rashica yet though to get the ball to him.  Hopefully this will come with time

5 minutes ago, horsefly said:

To all of you who "know" exactly when we should make substitutes to save or win a game, please could you send your CVs to NCFC so you can join Farke in the dugout to give him the benefit of having the extremely rare talent of knowing the truth value of a counterfactual conditional. 

I don't know what you're on about, if two Villa fans watching on TV could see it..

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, City 2nd said:

Yes I certainly do. One of whom we have beaten home and away in previous prem seasons!. My point is this, there is a clear lack of quality in various positions in the city side, it is very evident, fall six points behind the rest in the first 2/3 matches will be very very difficult to recover from at this level.

Yep! No team has ever survived being relegated after losing their first two games. That's a well known fact that isn't remotely true. Seems, Villa, Sothampton, Woves, Leeds, Burnley, Palace, and City, are all one game away from inevitable relegation to the Champs,  FFS!!!

9 hours ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

It’s more about doing something before we go down isn’t it? Happened so many times last time we were up. You could see the momentum shift in the mid section of the second half but no changes til we were one or two down. 

Was at game today we were flagging second half I can maybe understand holding on and trying to trust players at 1-0   But as soon as second goal went in the subs should have been on. That third goal was down to Farke as the players were flogged and it killed it. At 2-0 we still had a chance . We had fit players on bench  too they made a difference when they came on but was all too little way too late. We all trust Farke but you got to utilise bench better in Prem.