Sign in to follow this  
canarydan23

Closing the door after the horse has bolted

If it’s hurting now half on here will probably be suicidal after playing Man City. The table won’t look pretty for a few weeks but there were glimpses of hope today. These first four fixtures always looked brutal but the points are going to come soon enough. 

8 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

I think surrendering a game we may have got something out of (emphasis on may) at 1-0 by sitting on your hands is a bit of a **** up. It was apparent to all neutral observers we were struggling. Well before the goal even the odious Alan Smith was saying the second goal was when not if with how things were going. We could all see it. Farke couldn't. If Alan Smith is calling things you haven't noticed, I think that's a pretty big howler, don't you?

Totally agree with your comment about Alan Smith - I had to keep pressing the mute button whenever he was spouting his rubbish

3 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

If it’s hurting now half on here will probably be suicidal after playing Man City. The table won’t look pretty for a few weeks but there were glimpses of hope today. These first four fixtures always looked brutal but the points are going to come soon enough. 

It's not the defeat that makes people suicidal - it's the manner of the defeat!

1 minute ago, ABC (A Basingstoke Canary) said:

They were just too good and will do the same to better clubs than us this season. If teams like Burnley, Palace and Southampton make us look silly then it’s time to worry. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ABC (A Basingstoke Canary) said:

Exactly this, I was expecting to lose today, but I thought we'd lose to a superb Liverpool, hopefully with a spirited performance. 

We actually lost to a bang average Liverpool who got two lucky goals to get two up, and had we been a little braver may have actually got something from it.

If Liverpool play like they did today every game, they won't be anywhere near the title, but despite that it was enough to beat us comfortably in our own back yard.

Yes, preparation hurt us, but it's still depressing that anyone can come to Carrow Road and turn us over without ever getting out of third gear.

It's the first game of the season, against a good side, with 8 new signings and a highly disrupted preseason. We would expect to lose to Liverpool and before the yo-yo years, after our promotion under Lambert and then under Hughton there really wouldn't be an expectation that we wouldn't get turned over. 

I really believe that we used to see these games as just a chance to get a lucky three points. On the days when we are mediocre (as we were today) and Liverpool are mediocre (as they were today) we are always going to be beaten by 2 or 3, that's football.

Now it feels like every game everyone is just looking for the impending sign of our inevitable relegation, it's depressing. I don't want to seem overly optimistic, I'm not, I think we have a half chance of relegation. However, I dislike the current tendency to say "it's happening again!" after 90 mins.

On the other hand, I tend to agree about the subs. I don't fully understand it, but then, in fairness, we also don't see the relative fitness of players in training. Maybe Farke thought he would gain little and that a leggy Pukki is better than a Sargeant with only a few days around the squad. 

Edited by 1902

Every since the John Bond days fans have complained that our subs come on too late. 

1F3193E4-C7E4-4248-AC68-D9F19B26150A.jpeg

The subs were a bit late but the important thing it was the right subs.

I thought Sargent looks some player and Idah put himself about.

Pukki worries me though, but there were lots of positives which hopefully we can move forward with.

Oh no, Dan's been on the sauce again!

It's all a bit tedious really. Love them, or hate them, Farke has his footballing principles and he sticks to them - one of which appears to be not making early substitutions just for the sake of it. I would also have liked to see earlier changes this evening, but I am absolutely certain Farke had very good reasons for sticking with the starting 11 as long as he did.

Constantly making the same complaint about it when the result doesn't go for us seems a bit short-sighted; his methods have got us to where we are today. Who's to say if he was more of a tinkerer we wouldn't have been lining up against Burton Albion rather than one of the best teams in Europe today?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, City 2nd said:

Agreed. However, I think Farke will feel hard done by. I know he buys into the self funding club, selling as we have too, as most of us do, including Webber. However, it was very very evident in today’s match that we are very short of quality in many many areas, and that has to be dealt with forthwith. If city are bottom of the league after the first two games I do not see them, Farke, Webber, or the system working at all, and that bubble will burst.

You do realise who our first two opponents are ?

Just now, Justin time said:

You do realise who our first two opponents are ?

Unbelievable isn't it? The absolute rubbish some people come up with on here, you have to question whether even they believe what they have written.

5 minutes ago, Ian said:

Oh no, Dan's been on the sauce again!

It's all a bit tedious really. Love them, or hate them, Farke has his footballing principles and he sticks to them - one of which appears to be not making early substitutions just for the sake of it. I would also have liked to see earlier changes this evening, but I am absolutely certain Farke had very good reasons for sticking with the starting 11 as long as he did.

Constantly making the same complaint about it when the result doesn't go for us seems a bit short-sighted; his methods have got us to where we are today. Who's to say if he was more of a tinkerer we wouldn't have been lining up against Burton Albion rather than one of the best teams in Europe today?

I must admit, I was surprised when Thirsty Lizard was the first pis*y fundamentalist to rock up, I was expecting it to be Ian, the pi*siest of the fundamentalists.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, canarydan23 said:

I must admit, I was surprised when Thirsty Lizard was the first pis*y fundamentalist to rock up, I was expecting it to be Ian, the pi*siest of the fundamentalists.

If this thread was a football metaphor, you would just have received a second yellow for hacking me down from behind having been completely outclassed in the previous seconds.

Play the ball, not the man Dan!

Edited by Ian

Just now, Ian said:

If this thread was a football metaphor, you would just have received a second yellow for hacking me down from behind having been completely outclassed in the previous seconds.

Play the ball, not the man Dan!

But this thread isn't a football metaphor, it's a topic of discussion on a football forum where, get this, you are allowed to think a manager made a mistake in a football match and voice that opinion.

*gasp*

Just now, canarydan23 said:

But this thread isn't a football metaphor, it's a topic of discussion on a football forum where, get this, you are allowed to think a manager made a mistake in a football match and voice that opinion.

*gasp*

Oh I totally agree.

But the other great point about discussion forums, is that people are free to counter said opinions. Particularly if they think that such captious and churlish posts are probably designed to court attention rather than anything else.

3 minutes ago, Ian said:

Oh I totally agree.

But the other great point about discussion forums, is that people are free to counter said opinions. Particularly if they think that such captious and churlish posts are probably designed to court attention rather than anything else.

Court attention? On an Internet forum full of strangers?

Your brain works in strange ways.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, canarydan23 said:

You're absolutely right, match day posts are always over the top, a consequence of loving this club just a little too much. But I can guarantee you in the cold, sober light of day tomorrow I will still think Farke ****ed up by not changing things early. Like I said, it was an opinion espoused at 1-0 by two entirely objective, if inebriated, Villa fans.

Must be true then, maybe we should get 2 inebriated  villa fans in to manage us. You are a genius. 

PS . Love is unconditional.  Not  dependant on results. Fair weather boy.

Edited by wcorkcanary

1 minute ago, wcorkcanary said:

Must be true then, maybe we should get 2 inebriated  villa fans in to manage us. You are a genius. 

PS . Love is unconditional.  Not  dependant on results. Fair weather boy.

Christ, you've done well there chap. Made yourself look like an idiot in a thread that Ian is contributing to.

Well played.

2 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Have you heard of Covid? It's been in the news quite a lot 

Surely all the more reason to use your subs

• Like 1

Just now, canarydan23 said:

Christ, you've done well there chap. Made yourself look like an idiot in a thread that Ian is contributing to.

Well played.

All I've done is point out the flaws in your post. But yeah, if only we listened to 2  pi$$Ed villa fans. Stop now , while you only look tired and emotional.  Pretty soon you'll look pathetic  and stupid.

2 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

All I've done is point out the flaws in your post. But yeah, if only we listened to 2  pi$$Ed villa fans. Stop now , while you only look tired and emotional.  Pretty soon you'll look pathetic  and stupid.

To paraphrase Churchill, I may be drunk, but tomorrow I will be sober. You will still be stupid.

5 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

To paraphrase Churchill, I may be drunk, but tomorrow I will be sober. You will still be stupid.

I fear you are mistaken and uninformed , today you appear drink and stupid, tomorrow  you will be sober yet still stupid. Anyway,  go cry Into your beer  change your nappy and go worry about something  important.  I don't have time for whining. It is a most pitiful thing to witness.  What would the grown ups around you think. 

Edited by wcorkcanary

1 hour ago, canarydan23 said:

I think surrendering a game we may have got something out of (emphasis on may) at 1-0 by sitting on your hands is a bit of a **** up. It was apparent to all neutral observers we were struggling. Well before the goal even the odious Alan Smith was saying the second goal was when not if with how things were going. We could all see it. Farke couldn't. If Alan Smith is calling things you haven't noticed, I think that's a pretty big howler, don't you?

This has always been an issue, especially in that spell around the hour mark when we start to tire snd the opposition get on top. 

the set piece marking and marking from crosses was also horrific again today.

15 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Well played.

Canarydan; the James Norwood of the Pinkun.

1 hour ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

This stunk of just getting players who missed chunks of pre season match minutes. Especially after we went 2 down.

Don't see any other reason why you wouldn't make changes slightly earlier, (even if it wouldn't have changed much, but how do you know unless you try)Pukki especially seemed as though he was puffing out of his backside. 

But we will go again with slightly more fit players and I for one hope sarge gets a start next week. 

He was walking a lot in the first half too

Difficult to criticise DF. His record speaks for itself. BUT he is so frustrating over his use of subs. Today, he himself said we were tiring after 65 mins and this was blindingly obvious to most supporters. I would have thought some fresh legs might have had an impact but would probably not affected the result. For me around 75/80 mins is too late. I can only assume he has chosen his best starting eleven and feels that they should be given every chance to justify their selection. For me after 60 mins Pukki/Cantwell were going nowhere.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

I fear you are mistaken and uninformed , today you appear drink and stupid

I'm not one for grammar pedantry, unless you're trying to call someone thick, then it becomes fair to highlight that it's best not to tell someone they appear "drink and stupid", even after a post edit.

10 minutes ago, vos said:

Difficult to criticise DF. His record speaks for itself. BUT he is so frustrating over his use of subs. Today, he himself said we were tiring after 65 mins and this was blindingly obvious to most supporters. I would have thought some fresh legs might have had an impact but would probably not affected the result. For me around 75/80 mins is too late. I can only assume he has chosen his best starting eleven and feels that they should be given every chance to justify their selection. For me after 60 mins Pukki/Cantwell were going nowhere.

Agreed but he has always been like this, he has not changed and will not change in his inability / reluctance / stubbornness  to see what's going on and responding accordingly until (usually) it's far too late. Exactly the same happened at West Ham last time round when we went 2-0 down and were being totally outplayed. Drmic had been warming up for at least 5 minutes before their second goal and should have been brought on immediately (if not before). Farke eventually brought him on some 18 minutes later!   

Yes he's been wonderful for us with two great promotions, some sublime football and developing young players but 'top' manager he is not and will never be as he does not have the flexibility to respond when required. I can only assume he thinks it's some kind of admission of personal failure if he has to make substitutions.