Sign in to follow this  
canarydan23

Closing the door after the horse has bolted

And before the p*ssy fundamentalists get their knickers in a twist, I love Farke, think he's fantastic, don't want a new manager etc, etc.

But he's f*cked up today big time.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

And before the p*ssy fundamentalists get their knickers in a twist, I love Farke, think he's fantastic, don't want a new manager etc, etc.

No he hasn't. Do you have to post histrionic, knee jerk nonsense every single match day? 

• Haha 1

Just now, NWC said:

Would it have made a difference??

I'd have liked to find out. I'm visiting family this weekend so missed the game, but as a consequence I watched with two Villa fans and they were both bewildered that no changes were made about 5 minutes before goal 2. We looked tired, were under the cosh and in desperate need of a change. It didn't come, we conceded. It still didn't come, we conceded again.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

No he hasn't. Do you have to post histrionic, knee jerk nonsense every single match day? 

Hello, pi*sy fundamentalist.

Edited by canarydan23

I know I'm going to get criticised for saying it, but I agree with the OP.

It probably wouldn't have made a difference, but a few of our starting eleven missed a large chunk of preseason due to the covid outbreak and it showed. Pukki looked decent in the first half but he offered nothing in the second half, which isn't a criticism of him as he didn't really have a preseason so it was to be expected that he would tire early. I have to say I'm very surprised Sargent wasn't introduced about 15 minutes earlier.

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man
  • Like 1

I was wondering why it took so long to bring on subs.  Even at 1-0 down we were starting to tire, at 2-0, you would think an immediate change might have made a psychological difference and gee the team up.  I get that Daniel wants to get players match fit and ease in the new boys gradually, but with L'pool bringing on two fresh players, we needed to respond and freshen up ourselves....imo. Really like the look of Sargent when he came on.

• Like 1

Just now, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

You will, because a big chunk of our support believe Farke is infallible. 

I think he's our greatest ever coach and his position absolutely secure. But I am also aware he makes mistakes. It shouldn't be a controversial opinion; it's not even an opinion, it's a fact.

All managers make mistakes, even the very best. Farke made one today. It might not have cost us anything, it might have cost us a win, who knows? There are forums to debate that. But apparently this isn't one of them.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

It probably wouldn't have made a difference, but a few of our starting eleven missed a large chunk of preseason due to the covid outbreak and it showed. Pukki looked decent in the first half but he offered nothing in the second half, which isn't a criticism of him as he didn't really have a preseason so it was to be expected that he would tire early. I have to say I'm very surprised Sargent wasn't introduced about 15 minutes earlier.

I think that’s fair, but I still think it wouldn’t have changed anything. That in mind maybe Farke thought it was better to give his starters extra mins given our lack of match fitness?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Agreed. However, I think Farke will feel hard done by. I know he buys into the self funding club, selling as we have too, as most of us do, including Webber. However, it was very very evident in today’s match that we are very short of quality in many many areas, and that has to be dealt with forthwith. If city are bottom of the league after the first two games I do not see them, Farke, Webber, or the system working at all, and that bubble will burst.

7 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

You will, because a big chunk of our support believe Farke is infallible. 

I think he's our greatest ever coach and his position absolutely secure. But I am also aware he makes mistakes. It shouldn't be a controversial opinion; it's not even an opinion, it's a fact.

All managers make mistakes, even the very best. Farke made one today. It might not have cost us anything, it might have cost us a win, who knows? There are forums to debate that. But apparently this isn't one of them.

Yeah, spot on, I agree with that completely. 

4 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

I think that’s fair, but I still think it wouldn’t have changed anything. That in mind maybe Farke thought it was better to give his starters extra mins given our lack of match fitness?

Maybe that was his thinking, but I still think a couple of pairs of fresh legs around 60/65 minutes, when Liverpool made their first two changes basically, would've helped. We were very leggy.

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Hello, pi*sy fundamentalist.

You're a decent poster - if a little spikey at times - and I enjoy reading your posts in the normal run of things just like I enjoy reading lots of other posters on here. But, every single match day you post over the top nonsense. Now I know people get het up and emotional during a game, but come on, you know this about yourself, you don't HAVE to do it. 

5 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Maybe that was his thinking, but I still a couple of pairs of fresh legs around 60/65 minutes, when Liverpool made their first two changes basically, would've helped.

Helped with what though, maybe we would have knicked a goal? But we looked well beaten at 2-0.

Big picture we need to get these guys ready to give Leicester abd Arsenal something to think about and then beat Watford.

People can tell me I’m wrong but I think the truth is these first two fixtures are write offs given our pre-season and opposition.

9 minutes ago, City 2nd said:

Agreed. However, I think Farke will feel hard done by. I know he buys into the self funding club, selling as we have too, as most of us do, including Webber. However, it was very very evident in today’s match that we are very short of quality in many many areas, and that has to be dealt with forthwith. If city are bottom of the league after the first two games I do not see them, Farke, Webber, or the system working at all, and that bubble will burst.

What areas are we very short of quality?? This is ONE game!

Bearing in mind our disrupted preseason I thought we started really well, got a sucker punch of a goal and retreated too much until half time. Second half was better again but we tired and their quality showed (salah).

Quality - am I in the minority that thought the defence was decent, Giannoulis our best player, Gilmour a real step up in quality, lees melou looks a steal and Rashica showed glimpses of what he can do running at teams (a direct Buendia replacement he isn’t). Sargent and Idah looked lively when on as well, Sargent in particular looks to have a bit of everything.

Formation looks good and one that can really work for us this season. Just need to find that link between midfield and forward but that will come with time. And this was Liverpool so not expected that our full backs weren’t always bombing on (though they got forward well when given the chance).

Im baffled by some of the comments so far, but I’m also not at all surprised.

Edited by Fiery Zac
  • Like 1

I agree it was a shame we waited until we were 3-0 down to make the changes. However, I really don't think that qualifies as '****ed up big time.'

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

You're a decent poster - if a little spikey at times - and I enjoy reading your posts in the normal run of things just like I enjoy reading lots of other posters on here. But, every single match day you post over the top nonsense. Now I know people get het up and emotional during a game, but come on, you know this about yourself, you don't HAVE to do it. 

You're absolutely right, match day posts are always over the top, a consequence of loving this club just a little too much. But I can guarantee you in the cold, sober light of day tomorrow I will still think Farke ****ed up by not changing things early. Like I said, it was an opinion espoused at 1-0 by two entirely objective, if inebriated, Villa fans.

Sport is about small margins, and making timely subs is something that good managers do to give their team an advantage. With Farke, he just seems to lack that capability, so the team are always at a disadvantage. He just seems oblivious to what's going on on the pitch. It doesn't matter how much the team is struggling, the subs don't ever come much before the 80th minute. 

Farke is a great coach, but he seems very incapable of adapting when plan A doesn't work. 

8 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

Helped with what though, maybe we would have knicked a goal? But we looked well beaten at 2-0.

Big picture we need to get these guys ready to give Leicester abd Arsenal something to think about and then beat Watford.

People can tell me I’m wrong but I think the truth is these first two fixtures are write offs given our pre-season and opposition.

Helped with stemming the flow of Liverpool attacks. You could see that we were starting to look tired from the hour mark onwards, and some fresh legs may have at least been more combative.

But I do the get your point though, maybe getting minutes in the legs will help players like Pukki and Rashica get up to speed quicker.

Take off the green and yellow tinted glasses. Look at the third goal! Zonal msrkingnor not! Who was picking up Salah. He was free, in space, lots of it, and smacked the ball home, as you would expect a top striker to do. City missed an open goal near the end, so don’t bore me with excuses. There is a lack of quality all over the pitch, just as there was last time round in the prem. The only city class on show was Gilmour, and he isn’t ours! It might be one game, but look at the next two. Get adrift and relegation will follow. I cannot believe you think the formation looks good. We are short of a quality Cb, an attacking midfield player and a striker who can score!

3 minutes ago, king canary said:

I agree it was a shame we waited until we were 3-0 down to make the changes. However, I really don't think that qualifies as '****ed up big time.'

I think surrendering a game we may have got something out of (emphasis on may) at 1-0 by sitting on your hands is a bit of a **** up. It was apparent to all neutral observers we were struggling. Well before the goal even the odious Alan Smith was saying the second goal was when not if with how things were going. We could all see it. Farke couldn't. If Alan Smith is calling things you haven't noticed, I think that's a pretty big howler, don't you?

26 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

I'd have liked to find out. I'm visiting family this weekend so missed the game, but as a consequence I watched with two Villa fans and they were both bewildered that no changes were made about 5 minutes before goal 2. We looked tired, were under the cosh and in desperate need of a change. It didn't come, we conceded. It still didn't come, we conceded again.

I tend to agree with the general comment  - and  if some of the players are playing catch-up due to covid, surely that is precisely the situation where you would look to use subs earlier, not later.  They were warming up for ages before coming on and sadly by the time they did the game was gone…would it have made a difference, probably not, but for me we didn’t give ourselves the best chance.

3 minutes ago, City 2nd said:

Take off the green and yellow tinted glasses. Look at the third goal! Zonal msrkingnor not! Who was picking up Salah. He was free, in space, lots of it, and smacked the ball home, as you would expect a top striker to do. 

Jamie Redknapp just slated the set up at that corner, pointing out that everyone was behind the penalty spot so Salah had the time to get the ball out of his feet and hit it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Jamie Redknapp just slated the set up at that corner, pointing out that everyone was behind the penalty spot so Salah had the time to get the ball out of his feet and hit it.

It happened again minutes later as well but his shot went wide. Frustrating that we're not learning from the mistakes we're making.

I accept the observation that the players were looking a shade leggy, but would counter that Pochettino runs a similar ship in terms of getting his players match fit. He seems to do quite well as a coach. Only way to get match fit is hard minutes in the legs.

7 minutes ago, City 2nd said:

Take off the green and yellow tinted glasses. Look at the third goal! Zonal msrkingnor not! Who was picking up Salah. He was free, in space, lots of it, and smacked the ball home, as you would expect a top striker to do. City missed an open goal near the end, so don’t bore me with excuses. There is a lack of quality all over the pitch, just as there was last time round in the prem. The only city class on show was Gilmour, and he isn’t ours! It might be one game, but look at the next two. Get adrift and relegation will follow. I cannot believe you think the formation looks good. We are short of a quality Cb, an attacking midfield player and a striker who can score!

Ok you’ve made up your mind. Fair enough. 
I disagree, and I’m tired of the yellow and green tinted glasses bo******, it’s a lazy argument.

This stunk of just getting players who missed chunks of pre season match minutes. Especially after we went 2 down.

Don't see any other reason why you wouldn't make changes slightly earlier, (even if it wouldn't have changed much, but how do you know unless you try)Pukki especially seemed as though he was puffing out of his backside. 

But we will go again with slightly more fit players and I for one hope sarge gets a start next week.