Sign in to follow this  
Bill

****The Official Lapps Match Thread v Liverpool *****

My God what a load of nonsense. We have barely had any pre season due to Covid and we were playing Liverpool. And yet people are making negative comments. Take a good look at yourselves FFS 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Would have taken 2-0. 3-0 is disappointing and doesnt suggest much progress from the 4-0 at Anfield.

Quite the difference though. Despite the scoreline we seemed far less naive. Seemed to tire at the end of both halves though.

Giannoulis impressed me, I liked Lees-Melou even if he was a bit anonymous in the second half. Rashica is encouraging. Gilmour was a bit wobbly but understandable, he'll undoubtedly improve. Sargent looked keen to impress.

Thought Krul could have done a bit better. Cantwell worked very hard, particularly first half.

Positives for sure

3 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

Because they were playing much worse teams who played poorly and we lost two weeks of pre-season maybe? 

So we're confident had we played Arsenal or Villa this weekend, we'd have looked as good and got a result? 

Edited by Creedence Clearwater Couto

11 minutes ago, interwebme said:

Sargent and Idah looking sharp. 

Really like the look of Sargent, just in that brief cameo who looked good. 

5 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Hanley or giannoulis had to be MOTM!

Out of our players, Giannoullis was MoTM. Hanley I thought was average but gave them the first goal (by strangely running towards a ball he had no chance of getting), Giannoullis was excellent but his lack of tracking was at fault for a goal too.

5 minutes ago, ABC (A Basingstoke Canary) said:

I can't put my finger on it, but there's something wrong with the approach of our team today. For example, the corner for the 3rd goal we did NOT have any outlet if we were able to clear it - all 11 players were in the box!

Farke has done this every season and in every league he has been with us at defending set pieces, have you only just noticed?

Just now, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Lol, OK!

I must refrain from saying anything negative for fear of being ostracised by the Pink' Un community. 

I'm just p%ss£d off, and venting a little. 

Sorry but trying to use the Brentford and Watford results as a stick to beat us with for losing against a very good Liverpool side - with their best player back in the team - is absolutely idiotic. We had by far and away the most difficult fixture of the three. Why don’t you try comparing in 8-9 games when we actually have some idea of where everyone stands? After one match absolutely nothing can be said.

And I don’t know why you’d feel pissed off about the result?? 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

So we're confident had we played Arsenal and Villa this weekend, we'd have looked as good and got a result? 

No, but context matters. It’s a disappointing result but yet entirely predictable. Im disappointed but I could see some real positives for us once we get out of this horrendous opening fixture patch.

2 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

Really like the look of Sargent, just in that brief cameo who looked good. 

Amusing given how much he was slagged off before he had even kicked a ball for us and he comes on and looks like our most likely player to score

1 minute ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Yes. The narrative that Brentford and Watford only won because Villa and Arsenal we're so poor isn't fair, and used to try and soften the blow of another EPL hammering for us. 

So basically, no one is allowed to be honest because it doesn't suit you?

It is totally fair. On any given day a game is played, teams can only beat the team that is out there in front of them. Having listened and read reports for games earlier, most said that Villa's forward play lacked the sort of coherency that players have who have spent more time gelling - that was in response to the question of "did they miss Grealish". One pundit suggested they missed Watkins. Either way, Villa will play much better this season. Watford are no mugs either.

Brentford... worked bloody hard for that win. But they didn't look good doing it. As in, they didn't dominate, they didn't really create a whole lot but they worked much harder and wanted it far more than Arsenal. An Arsenal side without their best two strikers that would walk into half of this leagues teams. That would have been like us facing Liverpool without Mane and Salah for example.

I would also say at this point we don't know who our relegation rivals are. You might assume that it is Watford and Brentford, but it is just as possible to see Brighton, Southampton, Villa, Wolves, Palace down there if they don't pick up results.

The main difference is that we played an on form Liverpool side that is one of three teams tipped to win the league. Villa and Arsenal are not even close to being favourites to win the league. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

Did you watch both games? I watched the Arsenal  game and the first half of the Villa game and they WERE really poor. No other words for their performance, regardless of how well Brentford and Watford played.

Watford were very effective. I suspect they will finish above us. Brentford however I suspect won't (unless Canos can score like that week in week out).

Just now, cambridgeshire canary said:

Amusing given how much he was slagged off before he had even kicked a ball for us and he comes on and looks like our most likely player to score

He’s the most exciting signing so far for me, I’ve no idea why he was getting so much grief, it was mainly for not being Armstrong as far as I can tell.

3 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

So we're confident had we played Arsenal or Villa this weekend, we'd have looked as good and got a result? 

I'd have been more confident of us getting a result yes. Looked as good? Depends. Who knows?

But you are probably right. We should pack our bags and only return once we're in the championship again... this season is already a gonna.

• Confused 1

Just now, ron obvious said:

Watford were very effective. I suspect they will finish above us. Brentford however I suspect won't (unless Canos can score like that week in week out).

I don’t know, Watford still shipped two goals to a very ordinary looking Villa. Not convinced from one display either are more likely than us to stay up over a season.

Thought Rashica looked bright when he had a chance to go at their defence, Gilmour played out some lovely balls especially in the 2nd half and Sargent and Idah both looked to cause problems when they both came on. 

Will agree with what others have said in that the main priority needs to be getting a CDM asap to help protect the defence similar to the qualities that Skipp provided last season.

Giannoulis I thought also had a very good game at LB considering the quality he was up against out there. 

All in all I thought we were ok for portions of the game with a few unfortunate moments of panic sprinkled in throughout. 

Can't really judge the team until we get past this trial of fire which is the first few games of this season.

OTBC!!!

Played well but a little rusty. 2 lucky goals for them ( again ) put us on the back foot a little.                       

Giannoulis was excellent and Rashica looks a tidy player. 

Lack of pre season was definitely on show today but overall very optimistic for a good season.

We looked a team with no proper pre-season & players who don't know each others' game, whereas Liverpool ran like the proverbial well-oiled machine.

The most depressing thing about the game was that Liverpool didn't have to get out of first gear.

After that I have one question! Why on earth do we defend corners with all 10 outfield players inside our 6 yard box? It just doesn’t compute in my mind as all it does is encourage five of our players to jump for one ball and leaves five Liverpool players on the edge of the box to pick up any second ball.

It was predictable, we really got out played by a very good side.

Edited by Indy
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Sorry butt player back in the team trying to use the Brentford and Watford results as a stick to beat us with for losing against a very good Liverpool side - with their bes - is absolutely idiotic. We had by far and away the most difficult fixture of the three. Why don’t you try comparing in 8-9 games when we actually have some idea of where everyone stands? After one match absolutely nothing can be said.

That's exactly what I'm not doing. My point is the opposite, we shouldn't be discrediting their results to soften the blow of ours!

6 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Sorry but trying to use the Brentford and Watford results as a stick to beat us with for losing against a very good Liverpool side - with their best player back in the team - is absolutely idiotic. We had by far and away the most difficult fixture of the three. Why don’t you try comparing in 8-9 games when we actually have some idea of where everyone stands? After one match absolutely nothing can be said.

Funny enough, whenever Norwich lose, it pisses me off! 

11 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Thought Rupp played pretty well to be honest, probably on par with Lees-Melou

He gets hate because it's a meme. Every team needs a scapegoat and Lucas fits the role because McLean wasn't playing. Tettey has often turned in a shift as collective whipping boy, ditto for Grant Hanley. Now that said Lucas' attempts from far were lackluster and make him an easy target.

I'd say attacks on these players is inversely correlated with understanding of the game in general.

e. forgot Zimmerman. Now HE gets hate. Hugill has that one stalker hater who preys these forums too, can't remember his name.

Edited by Upo

Farke said we were in for a bumpy start. Two centre backs lacking game time, two attacking minded full backs and no defensive midfielder was a brave team but if Omobamidele was fit he probably would have played. Sorensen should have played, PLM tends to fade in the second half. 

Hopefully lessons learned and Farke has a few more cards to play

2 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

That's exactly what I'm not doing. My point is the opposite, we shouldn't be discrediting their results to soften the blow of ours!

It IS exactly what you are doing. That's the point you started from.

6 minutes ago, HairyTeeth said:

Played well but a little rusty. 2 lucky goals for them ( again ) put us on the back foot a little.                       

Giannoulis was excellent and Rashica looks a tidy player. 

Lack of pre season was definitely on show today but overall very optimistic for a good season.

I am sick to the back teeth of Lpool benefitting from lucky ricochets against us, always crucial first two goals as well, just like the 4 -1 at Anfield.

Edited by Orly
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

No, but context matters. It’s a disappointing result but yet entirely predictable. Im disappointed but I could see some real positives for us once we get out of this horrendous opening fixture patch.

I agree with you, but our last EPL attempt had some real positives too! 

Liverpool are a fantastic side, but they played in 3rd gear. Would've been nice to at least force them into 5th for periods. We've had a disrupted pre-season, but the worry is that we haven't replaced our two best players from last season, Emi and Skipp. Not only did we need to replace, we needed to improve the team too. We may have done that, but early signs are inconclusive, as I suppose is to be expected. But we can't afford a lot of time for players to bed in. 

At the moment, it feels like we've lost consistency and  rhythm from last season. And I don't just mean on the pitch, staff changes too.

45 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

He was S h I t today and 2 of the Watford goals were partly down to him. But feel free to live in the past.

He was terrible and was subbed midway through the second half. I do believe that certain clubs and managers do suit certain players. Time will tell i guess.

41 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Watford win, Brentford win, we lose.

Oh boy. Man City to come.

Did you not watch Arsenal last night?

12 minutes ago, chicken said:

So basically, no one is allowed to be honest because it doesn't suit you?

It is totally fair. On any given day a game is played, teams can only beat the team that is out there in front of them. Having listened and read reports for games earlier, most said that Villa's forward play lacked the sort of coherency that players have who have spent more time gelling - that was in response to the question of "did they miss Grealish". One pundit suggested they missed Watkins. Either way, Villa will play much better this season. Watford are no mugs either.

Brentford... worked bloody hard for that win. But they didn't look good doing it. As in, they didn't dominate, they didn't really create a whole lot but they worked much harder and wanted it far more than Arsenal. An Arsenal side without their best two strikers that would walk into half of this leagues teams. That would have been like us facing Liverpool without Mane and Salah for example.

I would also say at this point we don't know who our relegation rivals are. You might assume that it is Watford and Brentford, but it is just as possible to see Brighton, Southampton, Villa, Wolves, Palace down there if they don't pick up results.

The main difference is that we played an on form Liverpool side that is one of three teams tipped to win the league. Villa and Arsenal are not even close to being favourites to win the league. 

Not at all, it just sounds like excuse making. 

15 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

I don’t know, Watford still shipped two goals to a very ordinary looking Villa. Not convinced from one display either are more likely than us to stay up over a season.

Not saying they will, but they looked in control; only a cracker from McGinn got Villa back in it.

Obviously the first game is only an indicator (didn't So'ton get smashed for 7 at the start of a season recently?), but you usually get some idea of whether a team's style is working or not, & if there's room for improvement. I can't see Brentford improving much.

Edited by ron obvious