Bill

****The Official Lapps Match Thread v Liverpool *****

What do we think the team will be? I think farke will choose this line up:

--------------------Krul

Aarons Hanley Gibson Gianoulis

L.Melou Gilmour Rupp

Dowell-------------Cantwell

--------------Pukki

I can't see the line up being anything else to be honest as Farke never throws new signings right in at the deep end if they've only just signed.

1 minute ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

--------------------Krul

L.Melou Gilmour Rupp

--------------Pukki

I can't see the line up being anything else to be honest as Farke never throws new signings right in at the deep end if they've only just signed.

Well, didn't he throw Duda straight in?

3 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Well, Brentford won at home as a promoted side. Watford are winning at home as a promoted side. We're at home....

*checks the contents of that cup of tea....

Ayahuasca? Psilocybin? Yorkshire  Gold?

Just now, Christoph Stiepermann said:

I meant after a summer. Plus with Duda we were in a desperate situation. 

Fair enough, he just seemed a fairly obvious counter-example (I think Rupp started pretty early as well).

I would agree that I think it's more likely they'll probably come off a bench. That said, Tzolis has had game time so will be close to match fit, you'd think.

1 minute ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

--------------------Krul

L.Melou Gilmour Rupp

--------------Pukki

Would normally agree, but because of the weirdness of this pre-season he must be tempted as Tzolis for example has more match fitness than most and Sergent looks to offer a very different option.

Just now, TheGunnShow said:

Fair enough, he just seemed a fairly obvious counter-example (I think Rupp started pretty early as well).

I would agree that I think it's more likely they'll probably come off a bench. That said, Tzolis has had game time so will be close to match fit, you'd think.

I'd pick almost the same team but with Rashica in for Dowell and Sargent in for Pukki. But I just think based off of what we've seen from Farke so far he won't go down that route. 

Dowell has played a lot of pre season and Pukki starts for him unless he's on crutches. 

I'm going to guess the following:

GK: Tim KRUL
RB: Max AARONS
RCB: Grant HANLEY
LCB: Ben GIBSON
LB: Dimitris GIANNOULIS
LCM: Billy GILMOUR
RCM: Jacob SÖRENSEN
LAM: Todd CANTWELL (unless the ankle isn't right, then Christos TZOLIS)
CAM: Kieran DOWELL
RAM: Josh SARGENT (wouldn't entirely be surprised if Lukas RUPP or Onel HERNANDEZ popped up here)
CF: Teemu PUKKI

5 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

RAM: Josh SARGENT (wouldn't entirely be surprised if Lukas RUPP or Onel HERNANDEZ popped up here)

No Lees-Melou? I'd say he's nailed on as a starter.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Brave to leave Lees Melou out. I think they'll want to keep Sorensen in reserve incase we get a CB injured and Lees Melou has been our best player in pre season.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Good grief 🙄.  We didn't buy kane, sancho or Grealish either,  what bit of  our policy do you not understand? Or do you just get off on whinging, grow some, ffs. 

Southampton paid "only" £7 million more for Armstrong than we have for Sargent-don't think he was expecting us to spend £70+ million on a player!

Nine on the bench though. Zimbo will surely be there, and if Omo's shaken off that tonsilitis I wouldn't be surprised to see them both knocking around. Fair play re. Lees-Melou though, I knew there was one I probably forgot! Placheta won't be on the bench if that's true re. side-effects of a Covid test so Hernandez probably will be around.

I still have a hunch Rupp might land in Buendia's spot. He's got form for playing there against Liverpool, and did alright as well.

I'm happy to see Rupp start against teams like Liverpool or Man City who won't try to kick him off the park. It's in games against teams like Newcastle, Palace and Watford that I worry about him. If he does start I can see him having a good game tonight. 

10 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

I still have a hunch Rupp might land in Buendia's spot. He's got form for playing there against Liverpool, and did alright as well.

I hope not, I think that’s half the reason we saw him struggle through his first phase at the club - it just doesn’t really suit his strengths. Although I think he’d definitely do a better job there now than 2 years ago, I still think I’d much prefer to see a Rashica / Dowell / Sargent type in there.

Rupp was very good in the 10 spot last year and I’d welcome him in there again, but don’t think he’s got quite the right qualities to play out wide.

Edited by Hank shoots Skyler

1 minute ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

I hope not, I think that’s half the reason we saw him struggle through his first phase at the club - it just doesn’t really suit his strengths. Although I think he’d definitely do a better job there now than 2 years ago, I still think I’d much prefer to see a Rashica / Dowell / Sargent type in there.

Rupp was very good in the 10 spot last year but don’t think he’s got quite the right qualities to play out wide.

Largely agree, and if Sargent is the workaholic we assume then I can see him getting the gig if close to match fit. I do maintain Rupp's defensive diligence and off the ball work in that position were underrated though, even if his passing let him down a fair bit at the time.

• Like 1

Watford get a third-Cucho Hernandez-who my Watford mates have been bigging up for the last 2 years-comes on as sub and scores on his debut.

2 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

I was wrong by one player. Rashica in for Dowell but otherwise it's what I guessed

Just hope Pukki gets the service, never liked a formation that doesnt involve someone behind him

1 minute ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

E8wpCsEXIAI7l2R?format=jpg&name=small

Looks like Omo hadn't got rid of the tonsillitis then. Surprised Hernandez isn't there for the old "chuck an express train on against tiring legs" tactic. At the same time, I'm not entirely surprised we've gone without a classic number 10 even though I guessed one would be played.

Certainly plenty of legs in the middle of the park with Lees-Melou and Rupp. 

In terms of something of an unknown we're going with a different formation, we have two players in CM who are a cut above anything we had before in L.Melou and Gilmour and we actually have some useable counter attacking pace in Rashica so at least it shouldn't be same old same old going into this game. 

Matip not the greatest centre back Liverpool have ever had and VVD will surely be rusty. Henderson missing too-we will get chances, just hope we keep Salah, Mane and Jota quiet!

4 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Shame as I thought Tzolis had plenty of game time and could have offered something of an unknown.

Well he would replace Cantwell or dictate a change of formation looking at that team so can understand why