Sign in to follow this  
Bill

****The Official Lapps Match Thread v Liverpool *****

49 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Irrelevant - you see a player ghosting into the box in your position you don’t walk/trot back - you’ve gifted them a goal.  Aarons had plenty left in the tank to burst up the wing several more times, so you’re simply wrong if you’re implying he had no energy left.  

Put simply he was badly wrong for that goal and got a mouth-full from Gibson, which was fully earned.

I'm unwilling to criticise any of them until the system is functioning as it should.

Don't focus on the one dimensionality of Ben Gibson having a shout at Max, when you know fine well that running more has nothing to do with being mentally sharp.

Gibson cares. Of course he's gonna have a go. Doesn't make Max worthy of criticism when lack of sharpness led to him making a rare mistake.

You get the club you deserve ultimately. 

1 minute ago, FatCanary said:

I'm unwilling to criticise any of them until the system is functioning as it should.

Don't focus on the one dimensionality of Ben Gibson having a shout at Max, when you know fine well that running more has nothing to do with being mentally sharp.

Gibson cares. Of course he's gonna have a go. Doesn't make Max worthy of criticism when lack of sharpness led to him making a rare mistake.

You get the club you deserve ultimately. 

Sorry, but that is total and utter crap.

It is as though as soon as we lose it is forgotten that we are coming into this season in very trying circumstances. It will take time for little mistakes, even base errors that come about through lack of sharpness, to be ironed out.

I'm not going to start throwing our defenders under the bus for making mistakes against one of the most feared front lines in world football.

Who is with me?

Just now, Branston Pickle said:

Sorry, but that is total and utter crap.

Why? Because you want to just criticise after a defeat against Liverpool and get away with it?

Support your team.

6 minutes ago, FatCanary said:

Why? Because you want to just criticise after a defeat against Liverpool and get away with it?

Support your team.

No, because you’re talking crap.  I’m not particularly criticising the team/club/players, we lost and that’s life - but in this instance Aarons was at fault.  There’s no problem in identifying these things. It really is quite simple. If you can’t see it you’re a fool.

Edited by Branston Pickle

I think picking out Aarons as solely responsible for the second goal is naïve in the extreme. Gilmour and Lees-Milou had chances to stop Sane as he broke and both failed to keep up with him or foul him. His shot was going well wide but the block from Hanley deflected it to the unmarked Salah, who Giannoulis had left. That's 4 players not doing well enough before we even mention Max.

The first goal was similar. Rashica left TAA with way too much room on the right. Giannoulis didn't close the space. Gibson didn't get tight enough to Salah and Hanley was out of position when the ball again broke to Jota. It was again unlucky but again 3 or 4 players involved who didn't do as well as they could.

The third goal was just bad organisation - we left several of their players on the edge of the area without any markers. But Krul might have done better with the shot - it was hard but not in the corner.

Every goal is generally down to errors by a number of players. Blaming one player or highlighting their error is seldom accurate. Liverpool moved up and down the pitch like a well-oiled machine while we were straggling. They frequently had 3 players in our box when the ball was wide. They always had 7 or 8 behind the ball when we had it. Plus, of course, individually they have better players.

I thought we were obviously not quite ready and that in the circumstances we did OK. Like many, I don't think we have enough muscle in the midfield - It would have been nice to see more crunch to disrupt their passing. Also, almost every time we turned over the ball high up the pitch they committed a little foul to stop us building the play. When they won the ball in the same position we didn't do that. It cost Cantwell a booking, but it also meant they were free to do whatever they wanted. We need to be much more streetwise. A turnover should be immediately followed by a foul in a non-dangerous area.

I was also surprised that Farke didn't use any subs until the 77th minute. Pukki was shot by half time, and Rashica was blowing. Not surprising given their pre-season.

So I think there were many reasons why we got nothing and lots of people who will improve.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Aggy said:

I didn’t think Cantwell was that great yesterday. A lot seemed to break down with him, either with sloppy passing or running into a hole. Big boots to fill for him this year as he takes on Buendia’s role as the creative spark. Needs to make sure basics are done well first and foremost then let his creativity come through at the right time.

Disagree Aggy, barring the one where he lost it then took the yellow to make amends he was solid, it was young Max who was continually losing possession down our right, and allowing Liverpool to counter. 

Some thoughts from myself

Although the result clearly wasn't ideal I think there's a few positives we can take away- what I find interesting is a definite switch in on-pitch mentality. Cantwell went down easy in the first half and started having a little roll, and Rupp was instantly on at him to get up and get tracking back. Similar the oft-mentioned Gibson to Max for the second goal- they aren't being treated like precocious teen starlets this year, our experienced pros are holding them to top level standards (and rightly so).

We had several players who have spent minutes together in a match situation with their teammates which, along with the lack of general match fitness after pre-season chaos, cannot be underestimated. Out of Liverpool's starting XI, the newest player has been there a year minimum and Klopp has his 'heavy metal' reputation that requires such high fitness and discipline- night & day contrast with our situation.

I think I saw enough to suggest we're going to be competitive this year.

4 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

No, because you’re talking crap.  I’m not particularly criticising the team/club/players, we lost and that’s life - but in this instance Aarons was at fault.  There’s no problem in identifying these things. It really is quite simple. If you can’t see it you’re a fool.

Don't cry, have a piece of cheese.

Where did I say Aarons wasn't at fault? 

I provided mitigation, you provided no counter argument.

It is you who looks foolish I am afraid.

All the best.