Sign in to follow this  
Bill

****The Official Lapps Match Thread v Liverpool *****

Just now, chicken said:

Yes, because it won't be the first game of the season. I don't see any of those four sides, doing any better than us against Liverpool performing like this.

Villa will get better as their new players start to gel. Arsenal will get better the moment they put on or both of Lacazette and Abamyang on the pitch - and add the players that Arteta is clearly making a point about.

I'm not discrediting anyone - but no one predicted that poor a performance from Arsenal or Villa, well bellow their normal levels. Liverpool arrive at Carrow Road in the sort of form we hoped they wouldn't and people are spitting their dummies out because we didn't do a Watford or Brentford - please. Match Day 1. 

We need to stop making excuses and find justification as to why our relegation rivals managed to win.. 

Just now, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

We need to stop making excuses and find justification as to why our relegation rivals managed to win.. 

Can’t you read?

• Thanks 1

I'm taking a whole lot of positives out of this game. I hope the squad is too. We looked a better side than many other teams I've watched this weekend. I'll say we finish 15th.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

What are you talking about? Arsenal and Villa lost. 🙃

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, king canary said:

Yeah he's useful but I really don't think he's a starter at this level. Hopefully McLean can step in to replace him soon.

Rupp and McLean both fall into the 'useful but not a starter at this level' camp, in my opinion. We need a more physical midfielder to complement Gilmour and Lees-Melou.

I can't put my finger on it, but there's something wrong with the approach of our team today. For example, the corner for the 3rd goal we did NOT have any outlet if we were able to clear it - all 11 players were in the box! Whenever we had the ball, our first priority was to pass it backwards! It almost seemed as if the team were overawed by the occasion.

On the positive side, it was such an abysmal performance, that it's unlikely that anyone will now be coming for Aarons or Cantwell - they had the opportunity to showcase themselves on the world stage and they failed spectacularly!

Almost seemed like Norwich wanted to carry on from where they left off last time we were in the Prem!

Farke has got a MEGA task ahead of him!!

I hate to bash our own players but have to agree with others on here re Rupp; not got enough for this league but OK squad player. 

2 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Yes. The narrative that Brentford and Watford only won because Villa and Arsenal we're so poor isn't fair, and used to try and soften the blow of another EPL hammering for us. 

I mean.. Villa and Arsenal WERE poor

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Nuff Said said:

Can’t you read?

I'm getting a whiff of bin from him to be honest, some very odd posts this evening.

I expect the usual means and groans will surface this evening but we need to remember who we are playing, how disrupted our pre season was and that we played well in the first half. It's a cliche but these games won't define the season for us.

• Like 1

Gianoullis won the battle for best Greek left back, was outstanding. Lots of really nice build up play but no cohesion up top.

Rupp should be nowhere near the starting lineup of course, but needs must with the injuries we had.

Great to see Hanley and Gibson starting. Yes we shipped 3 but but they were unlucky with bounces / Max was quite high and out of position. I feel a back 3 would have been more compact for those counters.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Because they were playing much worse teams who played poorly and we lost two weeks of pre-season maybe? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, interwebme said:

I hate to bash our own players but have to agree with others on here re Rupp; not got enough for this league but OK squad player. 

What did he do wrong exactly? Other than needing to learn how to shoot.

Think it's a case of we need to press on.

New signings will gel and get better, but we need to press on to finding a CD that strengthens and improves what we have, and a combative CDM that is more solid and protects our back line.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Unfortunately as soon as we face any team who are fast, clinical and press us back to our box our neat attractive play out form the back with little flicks here and there comes to a grinding halt, a strong defensive midfielder, new fast  CB are the critical spots to fill, I think we have enough speed and skill going forward. We need to be able to adjust system to survive in this league.

Yes. The narrative that Brentford and Watford only won because Villa and Arsenal we're so poor isn't fair, and used to try and soften the blow of another EPL hammering for us. 

Did you watch both games? I watched the Arsenal  game and the first half of the Villa game and they WERE really poor. No other words for their performance, regardless of how well Brentford and Watford played.

Just now, Gordon Bennett said:

I'm getting a whiff of bin from him to be honest, some very odd posts this evening.

I expect the usual means and groans will surface this evening but we need to remember who we are playing, how disrupted our pre season was and that we played well in the first half. It's a cliche but these games won't define the season for us.

Lol, OK!

I must refrain from saying anything negative for fear of being ostracised by the Pink' Un community. 

I'm just p%ss£d off, and venting a little. 

But nothing to do with Watford and Brentford being very good?

If you put the Arsenal players in Brighton kits yesterday you wouldn't have been able to tell the difference.

In need of quicker center half that’s better with ball at feet , easier said than done. 

looked more physical with Idah and sargeant on. I wonder whether eventually we will have sargeant on right wing and Rashica on the left with Cantwell in the number 10 position and Idah up top. 

agree centre mid needed to take Rupp place 

First game of the season though let’s not carried away, we certainly look a better team compared to last time but we need early  momentum 

• Like 2

The idiots, who can't see the bigger picture are certainly out posting in here today.  At least they have been countered by the sensible, level-headed ones, who are not just panicking at an opening day defeat against Liverpool.  There are many things which need to be factored in, most of which have already been mentioned during the thread and it's not a case of making excuses.

I can't help but think, had a certain poster been here, he would have played his "we're doomed..." trump card!

• Thanks 1