hogesar

Who's going tomorrow?

28 minutes ago, Sussexyellow said:

After much deliberation I have decided to go. Putting my trust in the vaccine and getting on with life.

However like Pete I can not face potentially rammed unventilated trains. So driving and stopping over. Will be an expensive season if I need to repeat that every game!

First time back to Norwich since the Leicester game. Looking forward to it.

OTBC

As with trains so with planes, although it is a bit early in the season anyway. Easy for me to say this but I believe the club should have limited access to the double-jabbed and the negatively tested, and definitely made mask-wearing mandatory at all times in all areas, except perhaps when in one's seat. That may all come.

My clearest fun memory of Liverpool at home is a 3-0 win in which Fleck ran Glenn Hysen absolutely ragged on a dreadful pitch, so much so that the defender got sent off for hauling our boy down when clean. Even Simon Hooper on VAR duty would not have overturned that. Stay safe and enjoy the match!

I’ve travelled up on the train this afternoon, back down to Surrey on Sunday - a little bit hesitant but thought we’d see what’s what for the first few games.  If it looks like disorganised mayhem I might have a rethink.

Pondered on it but taken up the option to defer, makes a ticket   free for a younger fan to go this season .Too much uncertainty at the moment for me. I am double jabbed but a friend up North lost her best friend the other week mid 60s who was also double jabbed who caught it watching the Euros in the pub. It isnt the game time that concerns me its the getting in/out and HT that is always rammed. The vaccine is brilliant  but you can still catch it and pass it on, it stops serious illness for 90% who knows if you are the lucky 9/10. Rates in Norwich are some of the highest in the country at the moment, ONS today say 1 in 75 have it so on a typical matchday between 200 and 300 in the ground will have COVID which makes some of us oldies think

54 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Never a doubt in my mind since being double jabbed in April.

Sounds like a racy night.

49 minutes ago, Yorkshire Canary said:

Pondered on it but taken up the option to defer, makes a ticket   free for a younger fan to go this season .Too much uncertainty at the moment for me. I am double jabbed but a friend up North lost her best friend the other week mid 60s who was also double jabbed who caught it watching the Euros in the pub. It isnt the game time that concerns me its the getting in/out and HT that is always rammed. The vaccine is brilliant  but you can still catch it and pass it on, it stops serious illness for 90% who knows if you are the lucky 9/10. Rates in Norwich are some of the highest in the country at the moment, ONS today say 1 in 75 have it so on a typical matchday between 200 and 300 in the ground will have COVID which makes some of us oldies think

Very fair post YC and explains with clarity my reticence

All vaxxed up months ago and going but not particularly comfortable with the idea. Have two jabbed close relatives who are vulnerable and can't help thinking I might pass something on to them, however slight the risk.

Would normally get train but that will be rammed so it's car journeys for a while.

I know I must be worried as I'm staying out of the pubs too 😀

I shall be there, was at the Germany, Denmark and Italy game so in the groove.

Without meaning to sound negative we were a group at the Euros of 20 and the six unvaccinated ( mainly under 18 ) and 2 single jabbed all got COVID, but the positive was us double vaxed either didn’t get it or had no idea we had it even though we were all in cars together.

Masks were a rare thing at Wembley and I hope FCR ( and other grounds ) will not see those feeling more comfortable in a mask mocked by younger fans.

I understand the concerns, but come on, when flu was rampant and could kill tens of thousands of older people, did anyone give a toss about going to games and spreading it? 

People are on trains and in cars, taxis, pubs, etc, every day. This is no different. 

Good luck, enjoy the game, and sure, we all hope we aren't the statistic, but if the alternative is sitting indoors scared... 

1 minute ago, fredherring said:

I understand the concerns, but come on, when flu was rampant and could kill tens of thousands of older people, did anyone give a toss about going to games and spreading it? 

People are on trains and in cars, taxis, pubs, etc, every day. This is no different. 

Good luck, enjoy the game, and sure, we all hope we aren't the statistic, but if the alternative is sitting indoors scared... 

Fair points and I agree that we can't hide away for ever but we're going straight from zero to full-on matchday ' experience '.

For the moment for me it's drive there and no pubs.

Small steps an' all....

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Yorkshire Canary said:

Hopefully you will feel more confident as time goes on, I have to say I was terrified of COVID being a 60 year old diabetic but since I eventually caught it and was double jabbed my fears have gone and the little f***** of a disease does not scare me in the same way and now work the vaccine sites and have worked with COVID positives.

If I may correct the 2 - 300 though as although that is correct on the face of it I would hope the majority of those with symptoms or a positive test would stay at home, but I take your point. Personally I would also take that a step further as at Wembley people clearly went to the game knowing they were positive. If you do that in my view you should be held completely responsible for your actions and somebody next to you became seriously ill or worse.

1 hour ago, fredherring said:

Oh yes, it's just like flu.

Yawn 🥱

I'll be there with my old man. Even though I'm only 30 and double jabbed I'm still a bit nervous about it all but I can't wait either, it's the longest I haven't been to a match since I was 5! Think I'll avoid the concourse and head straight for my seat as I can see it being a free for all at the bar.

4 hours ago, fredherring said:

I beg to differ COVID is nothing like flu. 

I won't be there,as from Auckland even a home game is an away game.... for those taking the plunge, I'm dead jealous, for those not taking the risk, I understand. However you deal with this, I'm sure you'll all be backing the boys, enjoy the day..... I want to hear about it from you all after the match 👍....OTBC

3 hours ago, Badger said:

Oh yes, it's just like flu.

Yawn 🥱

You're very much deliberately missing the point.

For most people, yes it is mild. 

Why didn't, and won't, people give a second thought about spreading flu in crowds, which kills thousands? 

And finally, if you don't go now, when do you go? 

This ain't going away, so if you're too scared to go in the middle of summer when hospitals are empty and deaths are low, then you're never going again, because its here to stay. 

This idea of waiting and seeing is ridiculous. Wait for what? 

40 minutes ago, Well b back said:

I beg to differ COVID is nothing like flu. 

Overwhelmingly actually for most people it is. 

So you can beg to differ all you want, but the data right now shows that covid is not a massive threat to most healthy people. 

If you don't go tomorrow, you will never go again, because it's never going away and will rarely be as low as it is right now. 

Edited by fredherring

12 minutes ago, fredherring said:

So you can beg to differ all you want, but the data right now shows that covid is not a massive threat to most healthy people. 

If you don't go tomorrow, you will never go again, because it's never going away and will rarely be as low as it is right now. 

Lol

I have worked with COVID positives and I went to the Germany, Denmark and Italy games so why wouldn’t I go tomorrow ?

COVID is not flu and flu does not kill tens of thousands EVERY year. Even those that are asymptomatic with COVID can suffer severe lung, liver or kidney damage and many suffer long COVID. MILD COVID gives you ‘ flu like symptoms ‘

Covid ‘ is only flu ‘ is associated with the anti vaxers.

https://www.health.org.uk/publications/long-reads/one-year-on-three-myths-about-COVID-19-that-the-data-proved-wrong

And from the anti vaxing myth busting

4. COVID-19 is just like the flu

Infection with the virus SARS-CoV-2 can cause COVID-19, an illness that can cause flu-like symptoms, such as body aches, a fever, and a cough. Symptoms of either COVID-19 or the flu can be mild, severe, or rarely, fatal. Both illnesses can also cause pneumonia.

However, the overall profile of COVID-19 is more serious. Different countries have reported different mortality rates, and the case fatality rate in the U.S. appears to be around 2.6%.

While scientists are still determining the exact mortality rate based on developing data, it is likely to be many times higher than that of the seasonal flu.

And from a report in America looking at deaths only that was done in August 2020. Since then a further 500,000 have died in the US, so over the last year there has been the worst of flu seasons every 6 weeks ( that is deaths alone ). The vaccines are doing amazing work yet still there is a bad flu season each 2 months.

Myth 3: COVID-19 is no worse than the flu. Starting in the early days of the pandemic, Trump repeatedly claimed that the disease is not more dangerous than seasonal influenza. But on September 9 the Washington Post published recordings of Trump telling journalist and author Bob Woodward—in interviews in early February and late March—that the president knew COVID-19 was more deadly than the flu and that he wanted to play down its severity. Although COVID-19’s exact mortality rate is hard to pin down, epidemiologists suspect it is far higher than that of the flu. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates that the latter causes roughly 12,000 to 61,000 deaths per year in the U.S. By contrast, COVID-19 has caused more than 191,000 deaths in the country as of this writing.*

Many people also have partial immunity to the flu because of vaccination or prior infection, whereas most of the world has not yet encountered COVID-19. So no, coronavirus is not “just the flu.”

So yes COVID is like the flu when you have mild symptoms but is about 8 - 12 times more deadly and is upto 25 times more likely to cause debilitating illness.

On the positive side the vaccines are doing very well and are estimated to have saved 60,000 lives in the U.K. alone and I for one have weighed up my risks and decided that the risks are worth it to me, however some people will not be ready for that risk yet. It is likely many hundreds will catch COVID over the weekend at football matches. The majority will be unvaccinated, but there will be plenty of vaccinated as well. 
So if it’s ok with you I will carry on with bringing my life back to normal by being careful and treating the virus with the respect it deserves, and although I have the flu jab and the COVID jab hope I catch neither.

On one last point I can name you 10 players ( and there will be many more ) whose careers are in tatters because of COVID, maybe you can name me 10 players who has seen the flu do the same.

So to sum up I will be going because I want to, and I believe I am offered the best possible protection by having 2 jabs and having caught COVID, but I will not be doing a lot of things I used to do on match days. I will not be catching coaches or trains to games, I will not be in jammed packed pubs, I will not be on the concourse singing my heart out squashed next to 100’s of others, you will as at Wembley though find many that will. If I was a lady and unvaccinated but pregnant I categorically would not be going. There will be many people around the country that test positive but decide to go to the football still, and many more with symptoms that decide to not test and go. Hopefully one day your comment will be correct and even better ie COVID is only like the common cold, however until then we just don’t know what this horrible little f***** will do and you need to treat it with respect.

1 hour ago, fredherring said:

You're very much deliberately missing the point.

For most people, yes it is mild. 

Why didn't, and won't, people give a second thought about spreading flu in crowds, which kills thousands? 

And finally, if you don't go now, when do you go? 

This ain't going away, so if you're too scared to go in the middle of summer when hospitals are empty and deaths are low, then you're never going again, because its here to stay. 

This idea of waiting and seeing is ridiculous. Wait for what? 

With respect I think you are missing the point, you said COVID and flu are the same and flu kills tens of thousands every year. This is not correct. 
I am not scared to go to a football match, but please have respect for those that have concerns. I bet you would be scared to put on some PPE and come into a COVID area, but I bet you wouldn’t be as scared to put on a mask and come into an area where lots of people have flu, because it’s far less dangerous and far less contagious. 
Saying ‘ hospitals are empty ‘ is an insult to doctors and nurses. You also mention deaths are low, is that in comparison to the flu or COVID ? As I guarantee you, you would not be seeing 100 deaths a day in June, July and August from flu, it would be a rare event for flu deaths at this time of year.

So back on topic the good reasons to go are because the vaccines are working and not because COVID is like the flu. 
Can’t wait to be back in my seat tomorrow.

12 hours ago, FenwayFrank said:

Which dog was yours ? My avatar sausage dog was there

I'm afraid Dylan popped his clogs about 10 years ago. I now have a small white dog called Daisy and a Spanish street dog called Scout. I'm afraid Scout was a bit too enthusiastic at her first match so they were left at home on Tuesday. I'll try again this afternoon. 

10 hours ago, fredherring said:

If you think the Covid is like flu, you don't understand the data.

17 hours ago, CANARYKING said:

Just came out of hospital now starting dialysis, unfortunately my first schedule is Tuesday, Thursday Saturday so that’s me ****ed for a while

I'm sorry to hear this. I hope that the dialysis goes well for you and that you are feeling better soon.