Sign in to follow this  
GodlyOtsemobor

Pundits

Listening to talk shoite and every single one picking Brentford to stay up and us to struggle massively. 

Now I understand the skepticism surrounding our chances given our recent record of staying up BUT it's baseless and without any research, with one of them actually saying we'd only spent 10m, again we're used to them not bothering researching us I guess. 

My biggest gripe about the whole thing is how on earth can every single one of them be so sure Brentford, a team who hasnt been in the top flight for a lifetime, will stay up comfortably? Is it just a fashionable opinion? Is it a want for teams like ourselves, West brom etc to fail and teams like them to do well? 

I know the usually lines of let them think what they want etc. And I usually don't pay any attention to the dinosaurs but sometimes it genuinely baffles me and grinds my gears. 

We are yesterday's luvvies. Beating ManC made us the darlings and most talked about over gin and tonics and dinner parties.

Now its Brentford's turn.

Poor old Watford don't get any publicity.

How many points did we finish above Brentford?

How many times did Brentford beat us last year?

Unbelievable.

Im with the OP. Do your research pundits before you make comments.

The only thing that annoys me is pundits who can’t be bothered to do their homework to even the vaguest extent.  They are supposedly ‘professional’ and being paid for their opinions, yet there’s thousands more knowledgable than most of them, who can never see or know anything beyond the top 6.

Edited by Branston Pickle

4 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

To the OP. There's something you're doing wrong. It's summed up in the first 4 words of your post! 

It's not just talk sport though. It's a strangely large number of pundits. 

The only reason I can think is that their model has been publicised more. B team instead of academy, new stadium, Maupay, Watkins, Benrahma, Toney, data driven recruitment... 

Thinking about it, it will be interesting to see how the season develops and where each club finishes. It'll be galling for another club (after Villa) to be on a similar trajectory, but for them to survive and kick on.

13 minutes ago, Yellow and Green said:

It's not just talk sport though. It's a strangely large number of pundits. 

The only reason I can think is that their model has been publicised more. B team instead of academy, new stadium, Maupay, Watkins, Benrahma, Toney, data driven recruitment... 

Thinking about it, it will be interesting to see how the season develops and where each club finishes. It'll be galling for another club (after Villa) to be on a similar trajectory, but for them to survive and kick on.

We'll see. Brentford is undeniably a great story - and the fact that they're in West London means that large sections of the media are just going to lazily talk about them. I certainly wouldn't be unhappy if Brentford stayed up. It's just that it seems that them staying up makes us more likely to go down which is the problem for us Norwich fans.

It annoys me as much as any Norwich fan how the pundits write us off, but it probably isn't without cause.

We go up, we don't give it a good go and we come down. This has been the case for years now.

Bournemouth and Swansea both went up and managed to stay up for a good period of time and became the "media darlings". This could become the case if Brentford stay up, I just hope they have a stinker of a season to be honest, because it did wind me up how Bournemouth and Swansea went up with us and did so much better.

I don't think us being tipped to struggle and go straight down is all that unexpected really. Although this time we have at least spent a lot of money and are in a better position to give it a go and hopefully make the pundits eat their words.

3 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

The only thing that annoys me is pundits who can’t be bothered to do their homework to even the vaguest extent.  They are supposedly ‘professional’ and being paid for their opinions, yet there’s thousands more knowledgable than most of them, who can never see or know anything beyond the top 6.

You mean like this 'expert' in today's Mirror:

Their side is relatively unchanged from the one that suffered relegation two years ago but will be without their star creator Emiliano Buendia, who joined Aston Villa in a deal that could rise to £38million.

5 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

You mean like this 'expert' in today's Mirror:

Their side is relatively unchanged from the one that suffered relegation two years ago but will be without their star creator Emiliano Buendia, who joined Aston Villa in a deal that could rise to £38million.

This seems to be the line they all keep using, it really does highlight that they do their job with little to no research. 

Again fully understand that the whole country does not really care about our summer dealings, but maybe if its your job to be a football writer you should actually be more informed and give a fair assessment 🤔

• Like 1

I would imagine most people on the outside will look at the loss of Buendia and write us off. Let's be honest, we meet have invested the money well with some big names with promising reputations but the guys need to actually do it on the pitch

I've seen it in multiple articles. People just see that Buendia is gone and assume we've gone backwards. They don't seem to notice that we've spent double what Brentford have on a generally higher calibre of player. Nor that we've absolutely dominated the league including Brentford in two out of three seasons. 

I think we're going to surprise a few people.

• Like 1

It's better to be under the radar. If the pundits haven't done their homework some of the club's may not have done either. Let them all wet themselves over Brentford. Well take them all by surprise 

Brentford are the modern day Bournemouth, as such I'll now have to hate them. 😁

I did enjoy Simon Jordan bang on about how we never spend any money, and then had to correct himself when someone obviously had a word in his shell like about how much we've actually spent this time. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, The Raptor said:

It's better to be under the radar. If the pundits haven't done their homework some of the club's may not have done either. Let them all wet themselves over Brentford. Well take them all by surprise 

I don't think there's any chance that the clubs have not done their homework.

4 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

Brentford are the modern day Bournemouth, as such I'll now have to hate them. 😁

I did enjoy Simon Jordan bang on about how we never spend any money, and then had to correct himself when someone obviously had a word in his shell like about how much we've actually spent this time. 

I didn't realise he actually corrected himself! Must have missed that part 😂 

4 minutes ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

I didn't realise he actually corrected himself! Must have missed that part 😂 

Yeah about 5 minutes after he said we'd only spent £10 million