It’s going to be a VERY long season for those people already worried that we’re 3 points behind Brentford, and those complaining about how our fixtures are falling, after just one solitary match of a seven hundred and sixty game league so far.

I wouldn’t mind but it’s also going to make it a very long season for everyone else to have to listen to all this scare mongering.. We don’t even know if we’re going to be in competition with Brentford yet!

Arsenal are some way away from being the top side they were and I can’t see that severely changing in 3 games time. If we turn up on the day then we’ll have a good chance.

Yes it was a good time for Brentford to play them, but you could make a similar case for us playing Liverpool tonight considering they’ll only have half their first choice defence available!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, NFN FC said:

Brentford have peaked already! 

No doubt there are Brentford fans pointing this out as we speak. I can imagine it's already been pointed out that, "All the watching competitors will have analysed the victory, and now have fool-proof plans to nullify the Bee's attacking threat, there's no plan B FFS, OMG we're doomed!!!!".

I found that Brenford performance sobering . On the evidence of that game there's no way Brentford will fill a relegation place . They have pace and power and bullied Arsenal at times and mix that with the atmosphere generated they have the proverbial Twelfth Man.

6 minutes ago, MORDENCANARY said:

I found that Brenford performance sobering . On the evidence of that game there's no way Brentford will fill a relegation place . They have pace and power and bullied Arsenal at times and mix that with the atmosphere generated they have the proverbial Twelfth Man.

Fortunately that ‘evidence’ means absolutely f*ck all right now 👍

Edited by Hank shoots Skyler

45 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

...of a seven hundred and sixty game league...

Spot the mistake.  

29 minutes ago, MORDENCANARY said:

Sounds like what people said about us when we beat Man City

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

20 teams play 38 games each = 760 games, no?

Every game one team plays is also a game for another team as well. You’re not looking at 38 unique fixtures for each team, you’re looking at 19. 380 games in an EPL season.

1 minute ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Every game one team plays is also a game for another team as well. You’re not looking at 38 unique fixtures for each team, you’re looking at 19. 380 games in an EPL season.

😆😆 wow thank you. Better keep my job title to my myself on here…

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I read nothing into this result except Arsenal were largely a poor side.

Arsenal were there for the taking by any competent Championship side on the day certainly in the first half.

Yes it gives Brentford a boost and good luck to them. 

We need simply need to look after ourselves.

Interesting to see the lack of VAR intervention. Seems they may go from ruling things out for negligible contact/fine margins to more or less letting anything go. Second goal definitely should have been disallowed.

2 hours ago, smooth said:

What worries me here, is that even though we have a tough run of opening fixtures playing a wounded Arsenal at the Emirates after their next 2 games could see a bounce. They could have a new manager or the players fighting for the manager etc when we play them. The home fans will be livid if they come into our game with 3 losses

If Arsenal go into their game with us on nil points, which is very possible considering their two matches before that one are against the two best sides in the league, playing them at the Emirates with a toxic atmosphere could play into our hands.

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man

13 hours ago, ABC (A Basingstoke Canary) said:

With all due respects, Arsenal were bullied out of that. I watched Janssen purposely stride into the goalmouth in front of the goalie with the express intention of blocking him, ending up with pinning his arms behind him. 

Unfortunately, we will NOT get that level of leniency or generosity from the PL refs - history has proved that 😬

I suggest you watch it again. Football is a contact sport; you are allowed to block people. Jansson just stands in front of Leno, who allows him to do it. Ben White watches the ball bounce over his head. £50m. Toney beat him in the air every time. Ajer was better than White, but he didn't have a lot to do against a powder puff attack. Take Smith-Rowe, Tierney and Saka out of that team and they are relegation contenders. Even with Aubameyang and Lacazette back they will struggle to be in the top half. Most of that Arsenal team wouldn't get in our first XI. Arteta is clueless - he has sold Martinez and now Willock, both of whom are better than most of what he's kept.

33 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

If Arsenal go into their game with us on nil points, which is very possible considering their two matches before that one are against the two best sides in the league, playing them at the Emirates with a toxic atmosphere could play into our hands.

Dont forget Arsenal will have both Aubameyang and Lacazette back from injury when they play us!

🙃

4 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

I suggest you watch it again. Football is a contact sport; you are allowed to block people. Jansson just stands in front of Leno, who allows him to do it. Ben White watches the ball bounce over his head. £50m. Toney beat him in the air every time. Ajer was better than White, but he didn't have a lot to do against a powder puff attack. Take Smith-Rowe, Tierney and Saka out of that team and they are relegation contenders. Even with Aubameyang and Lacazette back they will struggle to be in the top half. Most of that Arsenal team wouldn't get in our first XI. Arteta is clueless - he has sold Martinez and now Willock, both of whom are better than most of what he's kept.

Jansen has both arms around Leno and is pinning him to the ground. Clear and obvious foul. 

• Like 1

Having just seen the goals this morning - and I haven't read all of the thread to see if this has already been mentioned! - I'm surprised VAR didn't disallow the second goal Jansson had the Arsenal keeper in an armlock, which wasn't too difficult to see.

1 minute ago, Jim Smith said:

Jansen has both arms around Leno and is pinning him to the ground. Clear and obvious foul. 

If he's being fouled the keeper has to do more to get away or shove the player off, but he just lets him like he's not bothered.

Arsenal had the look of league cup side with a bunch of reserve and youth players who've never played together before. I doubt Brentford will have an easier game all season. I'd fancy us to thrash that Arsenal side last night and beat Brentford too. I didn't think they looked anything special, just Arsenal were awful. Not sure how long Arteta has there but other than Tierney and Smith Rowe the players didn't look bothered and that can't be a good sign.

• Like 1

The really ridiculous assumption in this conversation is that Brentford will be our relegation rivals when we have seen one team play once and one not at all.

Football is not as predictable as that, and two teams achieving far higher positions than expected is part and parcel of every premier League season. 

Brentford could be mid table, Norwich could be mid table, we both could be mid table or we could both be essentially relegated by January stuck on about 6 points. Even beginning to think about how a season will go after about 90 minutes of the 34000 to come is absurd.

1 minute ago, Peanuts said:

If he's being fouled the keeper has to do more to get away or shove the player off, but he just lets him like he's not bothered.

Arsenal had the look of league cup side with a bunch of reserve and youth players who've never played together before. I doubt Brentford will have an easier game all season. I'd fancy us to thrash that Arsenal side last night and beat Brentford too. I didn't think they looked anything special, just Arsenal were awful. Not sure how long Arteta has there but other than Tierney and Smith Rowe the players didn't look bothered and that can't be a good sign.

I agree with you about Arsenal but if VAR isn’t intervening there I’m not sure when it is going to. Of course you could argue that’s better than it constantly intervening. 

2 minutes ago, 1902 said:

The really ridiculous assumption in this conversation is that Brentford will be our relegation rivals when we have seen one team play once and one not at all.

Football is not as predictable as that, and two teams achieving far higher positions than expected is part and parcel of every premier League season. 

Brentford could be mid table, Norwich could be mid table, we both could be mid table or we could both be essentially relegated by January stuck on about 6 points. Even beginning to think about how a season will go after about 90 minutes of the 34000 to come is absurd.

Brentford are clearly one of a group of clubs we can realistically finish above. As such, them getting an unexpected three points snd a confidence boost at any time in the season is not a good thing for us. Same applies to pretty much any of the mid table to bottom half sides. 

Teams have been newly promoted before and have started well and been well placed at the beggining of their promotion season.  Blackpool and Hull spring to mind also Sheff Utd second season has been too much for a number of PL clubs.  Early days for Brentford time to go very wrong, am I being hopeful? most probably.

Arsenal did look poor though. 

2 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Brentford are clearly one of a group of clubs we can realistically finish above. As such, them getting an unexpected three points snd a confidence boost at any time in the season is not a good thing for us. Same applies to pretty much any of the mid table to bottom half sides. 

Within the last 10 years a club went from being widely assumed to be relegated to being the champions within 18 months. That was an extreme example, but that's exactly why we keep watching week in week out. 

So many promoted teams have a flash in the pan at the start and then fade, so many exceed expectations and break into the top half for large portions of a season. I just think we should watch how a season is playing out before we talk of anyone as a rival for any position.

I get why it's tempting to do, but most of us (and probably I have been more guilty than most than this) have tried to read a season before anything has been really played. Surely experience tells us that it's pretty futile.

• Like 1

Arsenal play Chelsea and Man City before they play us. The Arteta out campaign could be well under way when we rock on up to take 3 points. 

2 hours ago, MORDENCANARY said:

Looks like Ajer could have an injury and rest assured other teams will more than match them for physicality than that pathetic Arsenal team did.

Scoring first helped Brentford no end though and that's something we will need to do this season.

15 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

Watching ManU vs Leeds I confidently predict they'll both finish above Brentford & Arsenal.

Now it’s 5-1 still convinced? I’m wondering and kind of hoping Leeds will have a Sheffield Utd style second season syndrome collapse.

19 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

Now it’s 5-1 still convinced? I’m wondering and kind of hoping Leeds will have a Sheffield Utd style second season syndrome collapse.

Yes. Leeds would have been all over both of those teams. There's no comparison between these two games - yesterday's was like a reasonable Champs match.

• Like 1