On 13/08/2021 at 15:34, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I think McLean probably gets into our strongest team as the squad currently stands, but will be the first casualty if/when sign the elusive defensive midfielder.

That pretty much sums up McLean for me: he's very good at Championship level and a decent player to have in the squad in the Premier League, but I'm not convinced he's a 'starter in the best XI' Premier League midfielder.

This post is totally correct in many ways, when we signed Normann, Kenny should have ended up on the bench. 
But Kenny must have some dodgy info on Farke/Webber as he never scores or creates goals.

Farke was livid when McLean took the short free kick after Aaron’s was brought down and lashed it 20ft over everyone’s heads. Shortly afterwards he gave away the ball which lead to their second goal.

Unfortunately he didn’t have a great game and will probably be dropped, but on his day he is a very effective player. 

2 minutes ago, Canary Jedi said:

Farke was livid when McLean took the short free kick after Aaron’s was brought down and lashed it 20ft over everyone’s heads. Shortly afterwards he gave away the ball which lead to their second goal.

Unfortunately he didn’t have a great game and will probably be dropped, but on his day he is a very effective player. 

He was ****ing dreadful last week and cost us a goal but started today.

I think Kenny is a decent squad player at this level, good in the air, good engine, good off the ball and decent passing range.

But you make costly mistakes two games in a row you deserve to be dropped and earn your place back.

he had an absolute nightmare 2 minutes today. Spooned a free kick high and wide from a great position when Pickford was completely immobilised and then gave away the ball leading to the 2nd Everton goal and any chance of us getting something. He belongs in the Scottish Prem with Rangers. Not good enough unfortunately at this level.

Not just McLean,  but our midfield in general are incredibly guilty of losing the ball in poor situations this season in our own half. It is absolute suicide at this level and we've already done it a few times. 

Id personally have played Rupp today but look at the stick he gets for being safe and steady. 

2 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Not just McLean,  but our midfield in general are incredibly guilty of losing the ball in poor situations this season in our own half. It is absolute suicide at this level and we've already done it a few times. 

Id personally have played Rupp today but look at the stick he gets for being safe and steady. 

So you’d have played Rupp and the majority wouldn’t have still means your right? 

Just now, Midlands Yellow said:

So you’d have played Rupp and the majority wouldn’t have still means your right? 

What? You really need to start playing posts rather than posters. I do try and be patient with you.

I have no idea if I'd have been right. Probably not, based on Farkes football career compared to my own. 

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

What? You really need to start playing posts rather than posters. I do try and be patient with you.

I have no idea if I'd have been right. Probably not, based on Farkes football career compared to my own. 

I try my best to be patient with you too. Let’s hope it’s Rupp with Kenny at Burnley next week to get them worried. 

Just now, Midlands Yellow said:

I try my best to be patient with you too. Let’s hope it’s Rupp with Kenny at Burnley next week to get them worried. 

No, PLM and Normann both had good games. I imagine Gilmour may come back in but again personally I would have Rupp.

Again, in football, not ever player has to be someone the opposition 'worries' about. Rupp is good at trying to keep us moving at a fast tempo, reads the game pretty well and has decent interception stats. His energy means we can press more effectively too.

7 hours ago, hogesar said:

No, PLM and Normann both had good games. I imagine Gilmour may come back in but again personally I would have Rupp.

Again, in football, not ever player has to be someone the opposition 'worries' about. Rupp is good at trying to keep us moving at a fast tempo, reads the game pretty well and has decent interception stats. His energy means we can press more effectively too.

According to Whoscored Rupp gets disposed more per 90 than McLean, PLM or Normann 

7 hours ago, hogesar said:

I’d tend to agree with that Hoggy but I think the fact we are discussing whether McLean or Rupp is worthy of a starting place says everything about our chances of staying up this season. 

Neither Rupp or McLean are what we need right now. Both are steady Championship level players but won't get us out of this shambles. We shouldn't even be talking about how good or bad they are, they should be back-ups at best.

McLean's game is riddled with errors, always has been. Surely Sorenson must be worth a try? 

Sorensen is a mystery, I guess Farke does not really fancy him.  For me McLean, PLM and Normann are our strongest and most reliable 3.

3 minutes ago, Newtopia said:

Sorensen is a mystery, I guess Farke does not really fancy him.  For me McLean, PLM and Normann are our strongest and most reliable 3.

How ****ing atrocious must he be at Colney to not get a sniff even after consistently abject displays from Rupp, McLean and Gilmour.

And yet not so atrocious that he's given a new four-year contract. It's just insane what's happening at our club at present. 

26 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Neither Rupp or McLean are what we need right now. Both are steady Championship level players but won't get us out of this shambles. We shouldn't even be talking about how good or bad they are, they should be back-ups at best.

McLean's game is riddled with errors, always has been. Surely Sorenson must be worth a try? 

Sorenson has been treated badly and has been constantly overlooked in favour of Farke's favourite few. The lad has class and deserves a run in the side.

I’ve said it before Kenny is a top half. Championship player at best. He wasn’t good enough at PL last time, too slow, too weak in the challenge, doesn’t create anything and doesn’t score. He didn’t protect the defence like he should and is prone for mistakes. 

Don’t get me wrong he gives 100% and has improved but still nowhere near good enough. The midfield cost us in the PL last time and it’s happening again (for Kenny anyway).

2 hours ago, king canary said:

According to Whoscored Rupp gets disposed more per 90 than McLean, PLM or Normann 

I suppose the relevance is where does he get disposed. He's far more box to box than McLean and seems to have more energy so if its happening in the final third rather than our own half it shouldn't mean in two passes time its another goal.

1 hour ago, Newtopia said:

Farke gave an interview a few weeks ago that mentioned Sorensen and he said (in essence) he is very good, but maybe not quite sharp enough compared to other players, that he needs to show perhaps a little bit more.  It reminds me a bit of Vrancic not deemed to be quite sharp enough for the PL  and it's probably to do with how they show in training compared to other players. 

It's a shame as I would love to see more of Sorensen.  He looked well up to the pace in the championship whenever he played, so I'm not really sure why he isn't getting more starts.

31 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I suppose the relevance is where does he get disposed. He's far more box to box than McLean and seems to have more energy so if its happening in the final third rather than our own half it shouldn't mean in two passes time its another goal.

Yeah McLean has made his mistakes in bad areas no doubt. I just don't see Rupp as the answer. Once fit I'd like to see Cantwell back in playing further up as I think 3 proper central midfielders isn't needed if you've got a back 3.

6 minutes ago, king canary said:

Yeah McLean has made his mistakes in bad areas no doubt. I just don't see Rupp as the answer. Once fit I'd like to see Cantwell back in playing further up as I think 3 proper central midfielders isn't needed if you've got a back 3.

Rupp may not be the answer but from what we've seen so far he might be the only option. I really like McLean and have defended him even at championship level where some didnt rate him, but he didn't do enough to help Williams vs Watford and then gave away the ball in a suicidal area yesterday, and its these moments that are absolutely killing us.

100% need Cantwell in the team. I agree regarding Central midfielders but have a concern we don't have a two that actually work. I said in the Burnley team thread a little while ago a two id like to see - actually from what you've said i don't think my team suggestion would be far from yours!

4 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Rupp may not be the answer but from what we've seen so far he might be the only option. I really like McLean and have defended him even at championship level where some didnt rate him, but he didn't do enough to help Williams vs Watford and then gave away the ball in a suicidal area yesterday, and its these moments that are absolutely killing us.

100% need Cantwell in the team. I agree regarding Central midfielders but have a concern we don't have a two that actually work. I said in the Burnley team thread a little while ago a two id like to see - actually from what you've said i don't think my team suggestion would be far from yours!

Yeah we're probably quite similar, I just don't have any starting XI that includes Rupp. I think the last thing we need is someone to come in and play 50/60 5-10 yard passes. We really need some creativity and passing range. Personally I'd play Normann and Gilmour in the deeper roles to give us that wider range of passing from deep.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, king canary said:

Yeah we're probably quite similar, I just don't have any starting XI that includes Rupp. I think the last thing we need is someone to come in and play 50/60 5-10 yard passes. We really need some creativity and passing range. Personally I'd play Normann and Gilmour in the deeper roles to give us that wider range of passing from deep.

If we are only playing 2 in the middle I agree Rupp isn't one of the starting midfielders.

Farke liked Kenny free kick just before the Everton 2nd goal. Pickford had picked up a knock on his shoulder and KM couldn't work him or pick a player out, he just hoofed it out for a goal kick