GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

Spending £18m on Sargent & Tzolis is great...but...

I do get that most of us ideally would like a CDM, but it's probably important and difficult to get the right one in, who works financially and can also play. I agree with the post from @AJ that skipp was almost too good in terms of being a tough act to follow and also unlikely for him to return. I'd imagine the loan space has him pencilled in either last minute or with January in mind. 

On the other hand, if we are crying out for one, to find one who will not break the bank, be good enough for the premier league and is a destroyer at CDM and physical enough to play in the premier League and have the passing ability/football brain to work in farkes team then that is quite a list, which does include restrictions.

IM in the camp where I'd like the magical man mentioned above or skipp himself. But if not then give Sorenson a go, he deserves it, was bought for it and could surprise us all again, just like last year or when Cantwell came into it.

also are we all writing off Kenny. Yeah he didn't smash it last premier League campaign, but last year he came on leaps and bounds. He isn't the destroyer ofc but he has improved through and through imo.

7 minutes ago, king canary said:

Yeah but you'd imagine he's had conversations with Farke and Webber about his playing time before he agreed his new deal.

I'm not sure I see him starting week in week out but I think he may get more game time than some think. 

Let's be frank, there is not a hope we are going to go 38 games without an Injury crisis, suspension flurry or covid outbreak at fullback, central midfield and centre back. He will get a fair few games in all likelihood and it depends if he is happy being the kind of versatile player who can be counted on to cover half the pitch. 

Signing Sargent and Tzolis makes sense at their ages in 3 or 4 years they could become cash cows as they develop at Carrow Rd.  Rashica also falls in same category.  Even without the new CB badly needed.

I don't quite understand the assumption that Ollie was likea tank who hammered players.

His ability was to be in the right place at the right time. Its probably part gift part ability.

Sorenson, if he adopted the same attitude looks to have the calm persona to do that job.

Lets face it, first two games, we are likely to be defending deep with more than just one DM.

• Like 1

I can't find a Tzolis thread around here, so I will post it here:

A documentary about him, from his first steps till today!

3 hours ago, karson39 said:

I can't find a Tzolis thread around here, so I will post it here:

A documentary about him, from his first steps till today!

Great stuff! Thanks for sharing. 

• Like 1

On 13/08/2021 at 10:17, chicken said:

In what way? You were talking about physique.

"in what way" ?!....just to be clear, you're asking me to point out the diference on physique between Skipp and Gilmour?

Didn't think I'd need to, to anyone with a pair of eyes

On 13/08/2021 at 06:19, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

we're 24 hrs from entering a premier league season without a recognised defensive,ball winning midfielder....which is suicidal

Can anyone alleviate my fears?

Can't help but feel the transfer window is a little bit like this... 

Jacob Sorenson is a recognised defensive ball playing midfielder. Farke just doesn't fancy him for some reason.

Game was crying out for him today, think Farke got it wrong. Sorenson for Ruup would have given us more bite in midfield and allowed Gilmour to play a bit further up the field.

Would have also given us a bit of height for corners.

Farke knows best though and if he thinks Sorenson isn't needed or is the defensive answer then not much we can do about it. He sees him in training day in day out. 

I feel like Farke has gone with the 3 players with the most ability, but as good as Ruup, Gilmour and PLM are technically, none of them possess the aerial prowess and physicality that Sorenson brings to the table.

A team is is all about pegs in holes. I think sometimes we seem to have the Lampard, Scholes and Gerrard for England syndrome, in that we fill the team with the 11 best players at the club, but that might not necessarily work out as being the best team.

On 13/08/2021 at 07:15, BroadstairsR said:

Ah! Sorensen.

The forgotten man. Never mentioned in any prospective team line-ups, yet never really had a chance to prove himself in his preferred position.

It's all 'Ollie, Ollie, Ollie please come back' along with various contortions concerning Tottenham's intentions and alternatives.

'Lungi' might just be that defensive midfielder we all yearn for.

I defy any poster to refute that based upon his performances, out of position, thus far.

I still can't understand why Sorenson hasn't been given a go. Last season I thought a Sorenson/Vrancic midfield was the dream team, but we never saw it.

And this season with Tettey and Skipp gone I thought for sure Sorenson's time had come.

Alas not and today cried out for him I thought. Was not impressed with Ruup at all and I felt a more combative physical Sorenson would have boosted our midfield and allowed Gilmour and PLM to get forward more.

Farke sees Sorenson everyday in training so he is better to judge of course. Looks like he just doesn't fancy him as a midfield starter.

I seem to remember a certain Tettey and McLean getting their first start together in the Premier League against Man City, albeit when we had a few injuries. Before kick off I thought it was exactly what was needed for the game, and they both played a blinder and gave us what we needed in a strong combative midfield.

Today we seemed to have gone with flair and technique in midfield with PLM, Ruup and Gilmour.

A bit of steel was needed.

10 minutes ago, Matt Morriss said:

Jacob Sorenson is a recognised defensive ball playing midfielder. Farke just doesn't fancy him for some reason.

Game was crying out for him today, think Farke got it wrong. Sorenson for Ruup would have given us more bite in midfield and allowed Gilmour to play a bit further up the field.

Would have also given us a bit of height for corners.

Farke knows best though and if he thinks Sorenson isn't needed or is the defensive answer then not much we can do about it. He sees him in training day in day out. 

I feel like Farke has gone with the 3 players with the most ability, but as good as Ruup, Gilmour and PLM are technically, none of them possess the aerial prowess and physicality that Sorenson brings to the table.

A team is is all about pegs in holes. I think sometimes we seem to have the Lampard, Scholes and Gerrard for England syndrome, in that we fill the team with the 11 best players at the club, but that might not necessarily work out as being the best team.

I agree that we are missing a player to add defensive physicality and bite like Skipp last season, but I don’t agree that that Sorenson would be that player.

2 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

I agree that we are missing a player to add defensive physicality and bite like Skipp last season, but I don’t agree that that Sorenson would be that player.

Everytime I've seen Sorenson play I have been impressed with his defensive work, his physicality and aerial prowess.

I'm sure his abilities would have given our midfield a different dynamic today. Was crying out for some drive and bite. Don't think PLM, Gilmour or Ruup offered any bite or drive at all. Sorenson may lack the finesse and technical ability of today's 3 midfield starters, but again a team is about more than just 11 players with the most ability.

To add to that, I thought bar Gibson and Hanley, and to a certain degree Lees Melou ( if only for his height ) that we severely lacked strength all over the park.

The Premier League is all about pace and power. Something we seem to lack in all areas other than CB.

Looking at Watford today and the size and strength of some of their players, they are gonna smash us off the park. Again.

7 hours ago, Matt Morriss said:

Everytime I've seen Sorenson play I have been impressed with his defensive work, his physicality and aerial prowess.

I'm sure his abilities would have given our midfield a different dynamic today. Was crying out for some drive and bite. Don't think PLM, Gilmour or Ruup offered any bite or drive at all. Sorenson may lack the finesse and technical ability of today's 3 midfield starters, but again a team is about more than just 11 players with the most ability.

You are Jacob Sorensen and I claim my £5. Don't think for one minute I'm fooled by your misspelling of "Sorensen".

Fact is we couldnt have got away without playing a defensive ball winner i.e Skipp in the league we won with 97 pts last season

How the hell we think we can play without one in the Premier League is unbelievable.