GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

Spending £18m on Sargent & Tzolis is great...but...

we're 24 hrs from entering a premier league season without a recognised defensive,ball winning midfielder....which is suicidal

Can anyone alleviate my fears?

Can't help but feel the transfer window is a little bit like this... 

Jesus christ. WE KNOW. How many more threads are we going to get on this same subject. I should think this is number 194720

I think they're going to re-purpose Hugill, which explains why he was looking grumpy in the training video. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Ward 3 said:

Haha 🙈👏

...seriously though... if you have an opinion to contribute, it was reported on this site yesterday that Bournemouth were asking £15m for Billing....would we rather spend this sort of money on the 2 players we've signed ..or put to toward 1 defensive midfielder, Skipp, or otherwise which is crictical to our team?

...of couse the club may still do that but it could take a player sale i.e Cantwell?

I think we'll set up to attempt to ameliorate the lack of a CDM tomorrow and then get one in before the window closes. 

I understand the club is as equally frustrated by its inability to land one by the season start as it is by some fans' lack of understanding of how football clubs' transfer policies work in the real world. 

15 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

...seriously though... if you have an opinion to contribute, it was reported on this site yesterday that Bournemouth were asking £15m for Billing....would we rather spend this sort of money on the 2 players we've signed ..or put to toward 1 defensive midfielder, Skipp, or otherwise which is crictical to our team?

...of couse the club may still do that but it could take a player sale i.e Cantwell?

Don't like Billing personally. Don't think he's all that. Grimes has been pinged around a bit on here. I dont think mowatt was a bad player too but he's left Barnsley and he's now at either Bournemouth or WBA, I guess WBA and followed the gaffer

Hmm. Billing for £15m or Lees-Melou for £5m. I'll take Lees-Melou every time. Not to mention Sorensen is due a chance in that position.

Ah! Sorensen.

The forgotten man. Never mentioned in any prospective team line-ups, yet never really had a chance to prove himself in his preferred position.

It's all 'Ollie, Ollie, Ollie please come back' along with various contortions concerning Tottenham's intentions and alternatives.

'Lungi' might just be that defensive midfielder we all yearn for.

I defy any poster to refute that based upon his performances, out of position, thus far.

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, BroadstairsR said:

Ah! Sorensen.

The forgotten man. Never mentioned in any prospective team line-ups, yet never really had a chance to prove himself in his preferred position.

It's all Ollie, Ollie, Ollie please come back.

...I'd have Tettey back at the moment 😦

• Like 1

Sorensen is certainly decent enough, proved he is good enough to warrant a go.

3 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

...I'd have Tettey back at the moment 😦

Why?

I added a bit about Tottenham. I cannot really believe that Webber is allowing himself to be held on a string by Spurs ... this waiting until the last minute thing.

Sorensen 'aint 'arf bad, imo.

True.

However, this pre-season has been a bit of a muddle, what with one thing and another and even to the extent that I can't recall Sorensen actually playing.

It has been a total ****-up of a pre-season, through nobody's fault. I just hope that things have managed to clarify in Farke's head, despite all.

He (Sorensen) was purchased as a defensive midfielder in the first place, though ..... I think.

Edited by BroadstairsR

How can we judge Sorenson as a defensive CM...he played there maybe twice last season , even then in cup games?

Bit of an unknown to throw him into a premier league midfield battle.

What is 'known' is that a midfield containing any/both McLean and Rupp will be completely overrun , as it was 2 seasons ago, not sure if Gilmour has the physique to be that kind of midfielder.

Lot if onus on Lees-Melou but in the brief time I 've seen him , I wouldnt say he's a holding midfielder, more box to box, looks like he has a bit to offer going forward with a goal or two in him?

Edited by GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary
  • Like 1

We can't

7 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

How can we judge Sorenson as a defensive CM...he played there maybe twice last season , even then in cup games?

Bit of an unknown to throw him into a premier league midfield battle.

What is 'known' is that a midfield containing any/both McLean and Rupp will be completely overrun , as it was 2 seasons ago, not sure if Gilmour has the physique to be that kind of midfielder.

Lot if onus on Lees-Melou but in the brief time I 've seen him , I wouldnt say he's a holding midfielder, more box to box, looks like he has a bit to offer going forward with a goal or two in him?

We can't that's my point. He's hardly been used in the position he was intended for.

Otherwise he has hardly put a foot wrong. I do agree about the risk of throwing him in at the deep end of the Premier League, but you could also say the same about Skipp.

Edited by BroadstairsR

If Sorensen is not given an opportunity in midfield in the early part of the season I suspect he will be off, either sold or because he wants to develop.  I wonder if Farke simply does not think he offers enough in Midfield, but recognises him as a competent midfielder.

4 minutes ago, Newtopia said:

If Sorensen is not given an opportunity in midfield in the early part of the season I suspect he will be off, either sold or because he wants to develop.  I wonder if Farke simply does not think he offers enough in Midfield, but recognises him as a competent midfielder.

Generally clubs don't sell players they gave a contract extension to only a couple of months earlier.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, king canary said:

Generally clubs don't sell players they gave a contract extension to only a couple of months earlier.

They'd bite their hands off for Cantwell's signature .... it would immediately escalate his market value.

Missed that about Sorensen. Encouraging. A good pro who goes about his business without fuss or fanfare (Sorensen that is, not Cantwell, obviously.)

Exactly, Sorensen got an extension recently. I think he's our fifth centre-half as well to be honest as after all, he plays there for Denmark U21s. There is room for another DM or defender, but there's no doubt Sorensen is knocking around and in the mix depending on what is available at a sensible price.

Suspect that's why Tomkinson has been looked at too, there's another centre-half and it frees Sorensen to go to midfield if really needed.

Edited by TheGunnShow
  • Like 1

It's strange Sorensen has been given such limited time in his preferred position, one can only assume Farke doesn't rate him or think he's ready yet.

If we get a DM, another CB, Gilmour to start every game, Lees-Melou seemingly the new fan's favourite, Sorensen's opportunities will be no more than back-up.

1 hour ago, BroadstairsR said:

Ah! Sorensen.

It's all 'Ollie, Ollie, Ollie please come back' along with various contortions concerning Tottenham's intentions and alternatives.

I defy any poster to refute that based upon his performances, out of position, thus far.

Farke didn't rate him enough to play as CDM in the Championship.

You feel Farke has got it all wrong and Sorensen will be CDM in the Premier League, without playing there for us up til now?

You feel that Farke is entirely right to not give him experience playing in that role, just throwing him in the deep end on Saturday?

If he thought Sorensen was any good, he'd have played him.

Yes it's 24 hours until we play our first game but I don't think it's escaped the attention of most that we still have around 432 hours until the transfer window closes. 

2 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

It's strange Sorensen has been given such limited time in his preferred position, one can only assume Farke doesn't rate him or think he's ready yet.

If we get a DM, another CB, Gilmour to start every game, Lees-Melou seemingly the new fan's favourite, Sorensen's opportunities will be no more than back-up.

Wasn't Sorensen one of those hit with Covid though? He was always going to struggle to get much game time in CDM last season as Skipp played so well. You don't give a two-year extension with an option for a third to a player who's got no chance at all - especially when you've paid off others like Leitner, Stiepermann and Thompson.

It would be a leap for him, but then again, can't be as big a leap making a debut away to Brentford in a position you'd never played before!

• Like 1

Sorensen missed some pre-season due to covid, right?

I think that might have messed up Farkes pre-season plans with him. I actually think he could have played more as dm otherwise.

1 minute ago, Number9 said:

You feel Farke has got it all wrong and Sorensen will be CDM in the Premier League, without playing there for us up til now?

You feel that Farke is entirely right to not give him experience playing in that role, just throwing him in the deep end on Saturday?

Did you miss last season? Farke didn't play Sorenson at CDM because we had this lad called Skipp.

All the fact that Farke didn't play him at CDM shows is that he rates Skipp higher than him.

That still leaves room for Sorenson to have been the Championship's 2nd best CDM.

• Like 5

Just now, Number9 said:

Perhaps it may just be not quite as simple as that.

Skipp was brought in on loan from Spurs with, presumably, obligations to play him.

Skipp made the position his own, and was never injured. That blocked Sorensen's route into the first team, until he was needed as full-back. He then never let us down. He was rather good, actually.

I don't recall saying that I thought Farke should "throw him in at the deep end on Saturday," btw.  I just expressed the opinion, along with others, that Sorensen may just be as much the answer to that central defensive midfield position as the much longed-for Ollie Skipp (who has hardly played in the PL either.)