Sign in to follow this  
Alex Moss

Mark Lawrenson, and no surprises.

So, his predictions are back, as are we. No problem with him tipping Liverpool to win, that’s fair enough. But the whole manner of his prediction of our game just screams NCFC contempt to me. Claims earlier that he’s seen a lot of Brentford over the last couple of seasons and that they’ll be the promoted team to stay up, but then starts going on about how we need to tighten up at the back this season like time has stood still since our last appearance in the top flight. Clearly didn’t watch much of the Championship last season then! And conveniently fails to mention we’ve been one of the busier clubs in this summer window, instead focusing on ‘all’ the stars we’ve been selling instead - which is all of Emi Buendia as far as I can see 🤦🏻‍♂️. I get the impression from how he talks that he’s not too pleased to see us back in the Premier League, so hopefully we’ll stick one on Liverpool at the weekend 🤞

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58141020

Edited by Alex Moss
Autocorrect
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Rock The Boat said:

We do need to tighten up at the back. 

Of course, we will need to be tight at the back, but doesn’t every club? Strange to level that at us, as if we’ve not improved from 2019/20 (we most certainly have) yet for some reason it’s not an issue for media darlings Brentford - who conceded more goals than us, and Watford, last season incidentally. So no, I don’t see why he’s levelled that at us above Brentford.

Out of interest, I watched Brentford’s friendly against Valencia the other day, and I can’t say I was impressed by Ajer, and I genuinely mean that. He looked ok going forward, but was far from convincing in his defensive work - I think we’ll see a few clangers from him this season. Might be harsh judging him on one game but composure wise I would  certainly have my doubts based on that performance. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Uncle Fred said:

The annoying thing he does tend to be right about us

Not sure he is though, Fred old bean. Take for instance him saying Pukki wouldn’t get into double figures - he did that by November before getting injured which almost certainly was the logical and understandable cause of his subsequent goal drought. Could easily have hit 20+ at the rate he was going otherwise.

And then assuming he’s talking about this summer (or else how far does he want to go back?), but we’ve only sold Emi. Hardly selling off all of our players is it buddy?

I get the impression he’s not too keen on us for whatever reason, I wonder if this goes back to something in his playing days perhaps?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, splendidrush said:

I don't remember him ever saying anything complimentary about us, did we upset him in a previous life?

Not sure, SR, but that’s what I’m wondering! Reading that match prediction, I got the impression he wasn’t exactly pleased to see us back. I would love to know what he’s seen in Jansson and Pinnock to suggest that they will be the rocks in this seasons ‘surprise team’. Or are people overestimating them just because they’re blinded by some romantic notion that the ‘plucky small club’ will take the League by storm based on the fact Bournemouth surprised everyone 6 or 7 years ago? For what it’s worth, I think Arsenal will stick 3 past them later tonight!

I thought we're the home team 😉🤣

29 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

Lawro always gets it wrong, so by that reasoning Saturday is now a home banker 👍

The guy's a dinosaur of the pundit world. He's as relevant as Henry VIII is in today's world. There are some really good, well researched, level headed pundits out there these days, and no, not because they are having a Norwich love-in, but because quite often a pundit/journalist will now be required to look into everything first. Means we get fairer perspectives from a lot of media now who know what we do, and the same goes for other sides. 

I just ignore the has-beens like ML as they're irrelevant.