Sign in to follow this  
Petriix

Season Predictions

With the new season kicking off in just two days and the squad nearing its final form, it's time to make a wild stab in the dark about our chances. Will we survive? Will we surprise people? Or will we fail again?

Here goes...

Heart says 14th

Head says 16th

I think we'll be fine. We've massively improved the squad but kept the core together. The philosophy is well and truly embedded throughout the club and there is a real sense of unity. We will be bigger than the sum of our parts and capture a few big scalps along the way to relatively comfortable survival after an understandably tricky start.

What do *you* think?

1 minute ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Without another CB and quality addition at CDM, 18th.

Agree defensive side of the squad still needs a major overhaul 

13 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Most likely another relegation fight.

To be fair, even if we were mid-table at Christmas we'd still be looking at the bottom of the table and worrying.  So yes, we're so desperate for survival that it's almost a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I think we'll either be rock bottom or around 12-14th.  Too many unknowns as yet, but with the core of Gilmour and Lees-Melou through the middle there's a really sold base for us to build around.

Just comes down to who is going to tick in the attacking third.  I can't see us fighting for 17th, it'll be highs or very lows.

Edited by Google Bot

1st

Then the Champions League the following season.

Oh no, wait… that’s Football Manager.

17th in reality. Anything else is a bonus.

1 hour ago, nutty nigel said:

Heart says: 10th 💛💚

Head says: Listen to.your heart

10th it is then👍

I'm out of reactions, but this made me smile.

👍

There are a lot of teams who may struggle this year and it could be a case of any 3 from 8 or 9. Think Wolves and Burnley will be in the relegation mix this season along with the usual suspects. We haven't been gifted with a pleasant start so any points from the first 4 games will be a bonus.

I'll say 15th.

Head says relegation. Reasons:

Need more defensive options.

Not enough physicality in the midfielders. We will continue to get bullied by Burnley, West Ham, Watford et al.

Desperately need CDM. This was a high priority at start of window and I feel the "wait" for Skipp will disadvantage us. 

Can't see us getting many points from opening 6 games and then our confidence will be battered. It will be difficult to recover from there.

Heart hopes I am wrong.

• Like 1

20th again unfortunately.

Missing a CDM and CB so far, and a real lack of experience in the side which I feel will show once the going gets tough again.

• Like 1

Definitely better prepared, know what to expect, but without a lot of luck with keeping key players fit we don’t have a huge chance of anything better than 17th.

Would love to say Top ten but reality bites……Palace, Watford, & Brentford need to be below us….

I fear the Premier league has moved away from us but with all the ducks in a row 16th is not impossible.

We will finish above Brentford and above at least one team that isn't Watford (which is not to say we won't also finish above Watford).

Edited by PurpleCanary

If things really click I can see us doing brilliantly well, but I'm not going to predict a place as I will only get mocked for it, but I believe anything is possible this season and there is enough quality here to make a real impact.  17th.....7th...1st.....anything can happen.

Will be tight, though 16th and a great achievement. 

Expecting a slow start points-wise, though a clear methodology developing with a more compact 3 in the central midfield area, more responsible high-and-wide players, Pukki running hard and full backs being positive, though more circumspect.

More shooting from distance, more playing for fouls, more set piece goals from defenders, even more possession-retention in defensive and middle thirds, more pace going in behind on occasions from slightly longer and flatter balls.

All just enough 💛💚

Parma.

31 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Bottom 

Hadn't realised this was a thread about naming Shakespearean characters but in that spirit: Sir Toby Belch.

1 minute ago, lake district canary said:

Puck off with the Shakespeare stuff.

That's Much Ado About Nothing. Measure by Measure we'll ditch that stuff.

As others are going for the same format.

Heart says 15th- I like the new attacking signings, I think the defence should be better than two years ago and we've got fans back.

Head says 19th- the central midfield fills me with worry and I'm concerned we'll see teams cutting through us with ease and exposing our defence on repeat.

I can't make any predictions until the transfer window has shut and we know how the squad ends up. 

Pre season has been a bit of a disaster with several players undercooked fitness wise. We'll know a bit more once we've played and hopefully beaten Watford.

I feel slightly more optimistic than pessimistic, and feel there will be 3 worse teams.