That line up gets me thinking whether Farke will throw in most of the new people straight away. I'd certaintly have Cantwell in unless he's out for transfer speculation and Pukki if fit. Gives us some familar going forward since we're missing Bunedia combined with the Gilmours passing.

It does show how much stronger the squad will be this season, bar centre backs.

OPs post has no place for Cantwell, Rashica, Pukki, Tzolis but still a strong team.

I think we may go with three at the back. I think Omabamidele is ready - we are tipped not to win this by the majority, so seems an ideal time to let him makes his Prem debut. Possibly Rupp and Cantwell behind Pukki, assuming they are all fit. 

9 minutes ago, king canary said:

Can't see Hanley starting after zero pre season minutes.

So that will probably dictate a back four then? Who partners Gibson?

1 hour ago, Bollington Canary said:

I think the formation should be 4-2-3-1

Gunn,Aarons,Hanley,Gibson,Gianoullis,Gilmour,Lees-Melou,Cantwell,Dowell,Rashica,Sargent

Agree with the formation. You seem to have dropped the 'three at the back' tactic pretty quickly!

I am concerned that Farke may want to adopt three at the back as his favoured formation but that would be high risk for us for many reasons:-

1. The team have very rarely played that formation - certainly not at all last season and not in the last PL from memory.

2. Unless you have at least one (possibly two) very defensively aware midfielders to drop back when the so called 'wing backs' 'bomb on' we will get cut open at this level as the centre backs by necessity get stretched across the pitch.

3. As we are unlikely to dominate possession in most matches, the 'three at the back' can very quickly become 'five at the back' as the wing backs get withdrawn leading to the team having an unbalanced, overly defensive nature.

4. The formation invariably results in a more 'offensive' player standing down making the lone striker even more isolated. 

5. Three at the back means the centre back resources are unnecessarily stretched as three of the four have to play every match.

The players know and trust a flat back four and that is what I hope Herr Farke sticks with. 

• Like 2

It’s a tough one. We are against a team with so much pace on the flanks you can’t help but think that if we don’t set up with either our full backs staying at home or 3 at the back we could be in real trouble. Equally if we are going to defend deep then we will need some pace to be able to break quickly. I think we will go 4-3-3 with fullbacks being very defensive and atleast one of rashica or Maybe Sargent as the three. Krul, Aaron’s, Zimmerman, Gibson,‘giannoulis, gilmour, lees-melou, Rupp, Dowell, rashica, pukki 

57 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

Agree with the formation. You seem to have dropped the 'three at the back' tactic pretty quickly!

I am concerned that Farke may want to adopt three at the back as his favoured formation but that would be high risk for us for many reasons:-

1. The team have very rarely played that formation - certainly not at all last season and not in the last PL from memory.

2. Unless you have at least one (possibly two) very defensively aware midfielders to drop back when the so called 'wing backs' 'bomb on' we will get cut open at this level as the centre backs by necessity get stretched across the pitch.

3. As we are unlikely to dominate possession in most matches, the 'three at the back' can very quickly become 'five at the back' as the wing backs get withdrawn leading to the team having an unbalanced, overly defensive nature.

4. The formation invariably results in a more 'offensive' player standing down making the lone striker even more isolated. 

5. Three at the back means the centre back resources are unnecessarily stretched as three of the four have to play every match.

The players know and trust a flat back four and that is what I hope Herr Farke sticks with. 

Not really true. I don't recall us playing 3 at the back from the start, but we've frequently gone to a 3 at the back formation later on in games following substitutions - often last season Sorenson was the one playing as the 'extra' centre back on the right side of a three. 

Our pre season looks like a mess.  I am not sure which formation Farke wants to play, if it is 3 CB defenders, I do not think we have enough CB’s to expect to play the whole season that way. Plus when we play 3CB’s I think we the balance of the side has been too negative.  

So I am expecting 4 2 3 1, with Krul, Aarons, Omabamidele, Gibson, Gianoullis, Lee-Melou, Gilmour, Rashica, Dowell, Cantwell, Idah

I find it hard to decide on some of the players. If it’s 3 at the back who partners Hanley and Gibson? I know Zimbo’s no good for us anymore but I’m not convinced Omobamidele’s ready - yes he did great for us last season but he only played a few games and only because Gibson got injured so has barely any first team experience. I even think Sorensen might possibly be used

Gilmour, Lees-Melou, Rashica, and Pukki will all start, and Cantwell if he’s back from injury. Dowell will start if it’s 3 behind Pukki but if it’s 2 and Cantwell’s available I think he’ll probably be on the bench. If Tzolis gets announced in time I think he’ll be on the bench 

3 hours ago, Bollington Canary said:

Krul

Omobamidele, Hanley, Gibson

Aarons, Lees-Melou, Gilmour, McLean, Giannoulis; 

Dowell Sargent

3 at the back would be trousers down and let Liverpool do what they want. I could be very wrong.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ward 3 said:

3 at the back would be trousers down and let Liverpool do what they want. I could be very wrong.

I think it’s gonna be an tough job keeping those trousers up regardless of formation

• Haha 1

Not sure that I can comment here without any idea of who is actually fit and ready. Does anyone have any real info on this?

I would expect that Farke will go with experience if the players are fit and Gilmour is nailed on to play, which leads me to guess the formation may be 4321 rather than 3 at the back. And only PLM of the new signings to start (Pukki's fitness willing).

Just now, BigFish said:

Not sure that I can comment here without any idea of who is actually fit and ready. Does anyone have any real info on this?

I would expect that Farke will go with experience if the players are fit and Gilmour is nailed on to play, which leads me to guess the formation may be 4321 rather than 3 at the back. And only PLM of the new signings to start (Pukki's fitness willing).

Also depend if cantwell is fit in time? A lot of our players have missed a fair chunk of preseason. So maybe it's good we are playing man city and Liverpool first 2 games to get the fitness back even if we are chasing shadows for majority of the game, I'd rather play these 2 than someone we expect to beat like Burnley, Brentford, Brighton, Palace. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ward 3 said:

Also depend if cantwell is fit in time? A lot of our players have missed a fair chunk of preseason. So maybe it's good we are playing man city and Liverpool first 2 games to get the fitness back even if we are chasing shadows for majority of the game, I'd rather play these 2 than someone we expect to beat like Burnley, Brentford, Brighton, Palace. 

Yep, pretty much this

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Newtopia said:

Our pre season looks like a mess.  I am not sure which formation Farke wants to play, if it is 3 CB defenders, I do not think we have enough CB’s to expect to play the whole season that way. Plus when we play 3CB’s I think we the balance of the side has been too negative.  

So I am expecting 4 2 3 1, with Krul, Aarons, Omabamidele, Gibson, Gianoullis, Lee-Melou, Gilmour, Rashica, Dowell, Cantwell, Idah

My worry with a double pivot of Gilmour & Lees-Melou is LM is likely to push forward a lot and Gilmour isn't strong enough defensively.

I think given our interest in the likes of Billings & Lees-Melou, we aren't going for an out-and-out DM a la Skipp but instead will be playing a midfield 3 to share defensive responsibilities.

My guess:

4-3-2-1

Krul; 

Aarons, Omabamidele, Gibson, Gianoullis; 

Lees-Melou, Gilmour, Rupp;

Cantwell, Dowell;

Idah

• Like 1

Without Hanley, then three at the back looks slim. I don't think Zimmerman is up to facing Liverpool's front three.

The rest is down to who is match fit.

2 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

How's about this what do we think?

11.png

In one way that looks really exciting, in another it looks like we could be wide open with that midfield. I have no idea yet of the work rate of rashica and Tzolis but this looks a risk against Liverpool. 

Edited by Big O

As far as possible, fitness matters in fact, I think that Farke will go for the old guard, along with Gilmour.

Other newcomers will likely be eased in from the bench, including Rashica.

The one exception, or the first to be introduced after kick-off could well be Sargent. He is fit and gives the impression that he is straining at the leash to get into action.

I suppose that, with one thing and another, our exceptionally tough start now seems to be a blessing. Anything from our first three games would have been a bonus even at full strength. 

It does seem a bit of a lottery though what with not knowing the state of play with the likes of Pukki, Hanley, McLean and even Cantwell.

Edit: forgot P L-M. He'll start.

Oh! I give up.

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

11.png

This for me too... I get what @Big Ois saying about midfield exposure, but I don't think we have many more options at the moment, yes we have rupp and McLean, but I think gilmour and LM is the best at the minute 

55 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

11.png

This is what it will probably be except you won't see Gibson starting at right centre back. Switch him and Omobamidele around.

1 hour ago, It's me, it's Tettey said:

Gilmour isn't strong enough defensively

Don't discount him on size, he's a real pest if you've got the ball.

He won't be that 'invisible man' that Skipp was though, I think it will be Billy's positioning that reduces his effectiveness defensively.  

But then, he offers so much more generally, I think we've got to focus on our offensive game first, and defensive secondary.

We need to make the opposition think everytime they attack, that they're prone to being countered. It's the first line of defence in this league.  That's why Billy is going to be very important for us..

People are going to be so disappointed when Zimmerman starts and he'll probably get the blame for anything that goes wrong. Farke has never risked unfit players, Gibson and Hanley aren't match fit, Omobamidele is inexperienced. 

We need a ball winner in midfield, Sorensen is our best hope, PLM and Gilmour have faded in the second half. We'll have to make best use of subs. 

I trust Farke to make the right decision as I trust Zimmerman to give100%. We've been told to expect a bumpy start but effort plus home support will help us through. Remember the Man City win wss with a patched up defence

Krul 

Aarons 

Giannoulis

Omobamidele 

Gibson

Zimmermann

Gilmour

Lees Melou

Dowell

Cantwell

Pukki

Subs