Sign in to follow this  
Petriix

The Guardian think we're going down...

The Guardian places teams by way of a consensus of their football writers, so it doesn't necessarily tally with the view of the writer of the article on any particular club. The consensus has Brighton climbing four places to 12th, whereas the specific writer seemed much more pessimistic. I will make one prediction, which is that we will finish above Brentford, whom the consensus have finishing in 18th place.

Guardian is 99% wrong about almost everything else it kicks out so I am now certain we will avoid relegation .

Where does all the fan base negativity come from . Some of the merchants of doom here seem to be salivating over the prospect of getting relegated .

Pathetic !!

14 minutes ago, Branston said:

Guardian is 99% wrong about almost everything else it kicks out so I am now certain we will avoid relegation .

Where does all the fan base negativity come from . Some of the merchants of doom here seem to be salivating over the prospect of getting relegated .

Pathetic !!

Which makes it more accurate than all the other mainstream papers.

Totally agree with the rest. Some here seem keen on being able to say "I told you so" if we go down.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheGunnShow said:

Totally agree with the rest. Some here seem keen on being able to say "I told you so" if we go down.

1 hour ago, Branston said:

Pathetic !!

Works the other way as well, with the optimists claiming the ‘I told you so’ territory if we do well. You’re either a ‘merchant of doom’ or a ‘happy clapper’ on here 🤷‍♂️

For me my lack of faith is more self preservation. I was embarrassed by our last perm campaign and won’t be throwing blind confidence behind the lads yet. I need to be convinced the transfers have filled the gaps we had from the last campaign PLUS the loss of Emi.

The Guardian think we're going down...

The Grauniad isn't even capable of being decent toilet paper...

5 minutes ago, Wardogz said:

People still read newspapers?

I might go back to them as it's hard to use a laptop as toilet paper.

• Haha 1

We are the poorest of the newly promoted clubs, we probably have a 50% chance of going down. That's even though I think we are building a squad that gives us the best chance of beating the drop.

That's not negativity, that's realism. 

Personally I can't wait for the season to start so that we can have a crack at it again, but I'll never begrudge someone who says that when picking one of the three most likely sides to go down, we are amongst them.

3 minutes ago, 1902 said:

We are the poorest of the newly promoted clubs, we probably have a 50% chance of going down. That's even though I think we are building a squad that gives us the best chance of beating the drop.

That's not negativity, that's realism. 

Personally I can't wait for the season to start so that we can have a crack at it again, but I'll never begrudge someone who says that when picking one of the three most likely sides to go down, we are amongst them.

If it was all about budget then we needn't bother playing the games. There are a fair few Championship clubs with significantly more financial backing than we have. But we've proven repeatedly that we're better than anyone at squeezing the maximum value out of our limited means.

30 years in the newspaper business and who read The Guardian one leftie

47 minutes ago, Petriix said:

If it was all about budget then we needn't bother playing the games. There are a fair few Championship clubs with significantly more financial backing than we have. But we've proven repeatedly that we're better than anyone at squeezing the maximum value out of our limited means.

The budget is a disadvantage, I have never thought it can't be overcome.

54 minutes ago, daly said:

30 years in the newspaper business and who read The Guardian one leftie

Sorry, most of us on here only speak English.

The Guardian has a fairly decent news website offering a wide range of articles and is a good alternative/supplement to say the BBC website. It is a little to much woke and full of itself at times, but it's something different to read.

Seems Crystal Palace have 90m worth of new invest. Some earmarked for stadium development, but some to add to player purchases.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/aug/11/crystal-palace-sell-875m-stake-to-us-businessman-john-textor

• Like 1

I think most of the people who reckon we’ll go straight back down only think that because we haven’t spent big (~£100m) on new signings. Breaking the bank is not always the answer to PL survival, as Fulham have proved twice. Villa also spent £140m on new signings and only just scraped survival.

On the BBC website Phil McNulty has predicted us to just scrape survival, because he reckons we’ve learnt a bit from our last PL season and thinks we’ve made some great new signings (Gilmour + Rashica). Lees-Melou is also looking great, and Tzolis sounds great. We do also now have a lot more PL/other national first tier experience in our side from our last season, when we had barely any before.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Branston said:

Pathetic !!

Couldn't agree more. The only good thing left in it is the crossword section. 

I think some of you would struggle with The S*ns tea break quickie to be fair. What do you think of the article?

12 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

The best friend of OAP's and White Van men everywhere

White van men don't really read the Guardian.

12 hours ago, Herman said:

I might go back to them as it's hard to use a laptop as toilet paper.

Bit messy  Hermano, I print a few pages of TWTD ....and use that. Makes the laptop a bit more pleasant  to use afterwards. 

😉😇👍

25 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Bit messy  Hermano, I print a few pages of TWTD ....and use that. Makes the laptop a bit more pleasant  to use afterwards. 

😉😇👍

But how do you stop the blue bits touching  your **** corkie?! 

15 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

But how do you stop the blue bits touching  your **** corkie?! 

I find Blue Is the best colour for picking up faecal matter, just look at their players, manager and recent owners 

10 hours ago, HazzaJet said:

On the BBC website Phil McNulty has predicted us to just scrape survival, because he reckons we’ve learnt a bit from our last PL season and thinks we’ve made some great new signings (Gilmour + Rashica).

True, but he does also say he only put Watford in 20th as a favour to the Hornets fans. They’d requested it as a reverse curse in their bid to stay up. From his words I thought he’d at least as much predict their PL survival as relegation.

18 hours ago, Branston said:

Pathetic !!

18 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

Come on then guys let’s name names, always best to be specific about these things, so who on this thread are you talking to? I can see a couple of very reasonable predictions for us to struggle -is there anything else?

FWIW my initial post of ‘I didn’t realise we were a certainty to stay up’ was totally in response to Petrix suggesting we should ‘let them (the guardian) know our thoughts’ - like their prediction of bottom 3 was some kind of total shock and a disgrace?? Not for me, sorry!

Surprisingly enough, when a team gets promoted and loses its best two players, quite a lot of outsiders - and indeed some of its own fans - feel sceptical about the team’s prospects, understandably so I had thought but maybe not?

But just out of interest, what would you guys say if Brentford got promoted and lost Toney and Jansson, or Watford having lost Sarr and Pedro?

Will it ever be possible for anyone to ever feel sceptical about anything regarding the club, without being accused of only doing it for some freakish desire to want the club to go down just so you can say ‘I told you so’? 

Its weird, rather than just batting away these imaginary caricatures that don’t really exist (or maybe the 0.001% of posters on here like Uncle Fred who everyone knows is a troll anyway), why don’t you actually try to change people’s mind with reasonable debate? 

It’s also quite amusing to see it play out - when posters throw such a stupid polarising narrative at people for not being 100% optimistic about everything, you can kind of see why they might then want to bite back if their concerns are later proven right, can’t you?

@Jim Smith suffers from extreme pile-ons from half of this board who patronise, mock and generally insult his intelligence, I have no doubt if it were me on the receiving end and I’d be inclined to have a pop back (indeed I have been called all sorts this summer for not being completely happy about the way we sold Buendia).

It’s literally stuck between a rock and a hard place; raise concerns before something happens and get lambasted for it, respond to being lambasted when/if the concerns are realised and get lambasted some more for wanting the club to fail. Absolutely brilliant!

And FYI, I personally think we can stay up, with a CDM addition, which I’ll be mentioning in a predictions thread shortly. So there you go 👍

26 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Come on then guys let’s name names, always best to be specific about these things, so who on this thread are you talking to? I can see a couple of very reasonable predictions for us to struggle -is there anything else?

FWIW my initial post of ‘I didn’t realise we were a certainty to stay up’ was totally in response to Petrix suggesting we should ‘let them (the guardian) know our thoughts’ - like their prediction of bottom 3 was some kind of total shock and a disgrace?? Not for me, sorry!

Surprisingly enough, when a team gets promoted and loses its best two players, quite a lot of outsiders - and indeed some of its own fans - feel sceptical about the team’s prospects, understandably so I had thought but maybe not?

But just out of interest, what would you guys say if Brentford got promoted and lost Toney and Jansson, or Watford having lost Sarr and Pedro?

Will it ever be possible for anyone to ever feel sceptical about anything regarding the club, without being accused of only doing it for some freakish desire to want the club to go down just so you can say ‘I told you so’? 

Its weird, rather than just batting away these imaginary caricatures that don’t really exist (or maybe the 0.001% of posters on here like Uncle Fred who everyone knows is a troll anyway), why don’t you actually try to change people’s mind with reasonable debate? 

It’s also quite amusing to see it play out - when posters throw such a stupid polarising narrative at people for not being 100% optimistic about everything, you can kind of see why they might then want to bite back if their concerns are later proven right, can’t you?

@Jim Smith suffers from extreme pile-ons from half of this board who patronise, mock and generally insult his intelligence, I have no doubt if it were me on the receiving end and I’d be inclined to have a pop back (indeed I have been called all sorts this summer for not being completely happy about the way we sold Buendia).

It’s literally stuck between a rock and a hard place; raise concerns before something happens and get lambasted for it, respond to being lambasted when/if the concerns are realised and get lambasted some more for wanting the club to fail. Absolutely brilliant!

And FYI, I personally think we can stay up, with a CDM addition, which I’ll be mentioning in a predictions thread shortly. So there you go 👍

Think you'll find there's plenty of effort to change minds with reasonable debate, however there are certain posters who constantly post from a very negative perspective, almost as if they're trying to find the most negative slant going despite frequent well-informed posts indicating some factors to the contrary.

Pretty sure they don't need naming and shaming. If the cap fits, they can wear it.

2 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Think you'll find there's plenty of effort to change minds with reasonable debate, however there are certain posters who constantly post from a very negative perspective, almost as if they're trying to find the most negative slant going despite frequent well-informed posts indicating some factors to the contrary.

Pretty sure they don't need naming and shaming. If the cap fits, they can wear it.

And on this thread which posts are you referring to?

Just now, Hank shoots Skyler said:

And on this thread which posts are you referring to?

Speaking about the board in general, not so much this thread.

Also we all know that very select few you mention TGS are beyond reasonable debate, which is why I always push for just straight up ignoring them, rather than tarnishing all scepticism as hating the club / wanting them to fail!

Just now, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Also we all know that very select few you mention TGS are beyond reasonable debate, which is why I always push for just straight up ignoring them, rather than tarnishing all scepticism as hating the club / wanting them to fail!

That, to a large extent, is also my approach. Although I have to say, there are some social fields on FB where regardless of BS, I can't resist pitching in.

Been some real window-licking gibberish about childfree people on FB recently. Damn right I've been debunking s*h*i*t*e aggressively on there. 😄

• Haha 1