Mullet

We will never see Hugill in yellow again

46 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

I suspect Alf-Inge Haaland might disagree.

Wasn't that actually his other knee though? Keane hit Haaland's right knee in that tackle, but Haaland had suffered with issues in his left.

Bizarre the Hugill hate. He was bought to be a big, tall striker for if we had to adopt a different shape. We also went out and bought a rapid winger who tends to drift outside and loaned a fullback who liked to (and could) cross. It's pretty clear we thought we might have to mix it up a lot more last season and that there needed to be a second option available to Farke should we not be able to go through the middle.

Buendia, Cantwell and Pukki meant we never had to try that tactic for any length of time.

Your second or third choice striker, brought in to play your second choice set of tactics, is not going to be 6'2", strong AND have the positional strength, touch and finishing ability of some of our more cultured players (mainly because then his name would be Lukaku and he would be worth about 100 million).

Instead he will probably look a bit clumsy, but centre backs won't like marking him and if you are lucky, will score you a goal every three games or so in and he will cost about 4/5 million (the going rate for a 15 goal a season, championship striker with a few years in him).

In other words, Hugill was exactly what was expected. Did the job required of him by the club, but thankfully wasn't required very often.

We will also probably get some of that money back and what we lose we would have probably had to pay a proportion out for an unproven premier League youngster as a loan fee if we hadn't brought him in.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, 1902 said:

Bizarre the Hugill hate.

Hate ?

That is just you making up stuff

Posters on here have merely pointed out that he is not up to the standard expected - in fact, outside of the non league clubs he has shown himself to be useless.

I cannot see where that amounts to 'hate'.

1 minute ago, Bill said:

Hate ?

Posters on here have merely pointed out that he is not up to the standard expected - in fact, outside of the non league clubs he has shown himself to be useless.

Non-league?

So two solid, average Championship sides in Preston and QPR are non-league?

• Like 1

Just now, TheGunnShow said:

Non-league?

Have a read up on QPR fans view of him

2 minutes ago, Bill said:

Hate ?

Once again, turn of phrase Bill, partially because it alliterates.

Honestly though, talking to you on here is like playing Tetris. It's attritional, can take a lot of time and no real progress is made.

Its a forum, say what you will but as you are consistently rude to me, in future I'm not going to engage.

3 minutes ago, 1902 said:

Honestly though, talking to you on here is like playing Tetris. It's attritional, can take a lot of time and no real progress is made.

Its a forum, say what you will but as you are consistently rude to me, in future I'm not going to engage.

Very well articulated response. #Respect 1902!

4 minutes ago, 1902 said:

No progress ?

You've backed down on your guff about hate towards Hugill

Now let's see if we can make some progress with your guff about my being "consistently' rude to me"

one comment, in one post is not 'consistently' - and your retraction above suggests it was not rude, merely pointing how where you were wrong ie no hate towards Hugill

(in fact that might be construed as you making up stuff, again)

17 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Non-league?

" Hugill could be extremely profligate, and this was a common criticism of the 27-year-old – “He takes 10 chances to score 1” and “He couldn’t hit a barndoor” were slurs often bellowed from the stands. " Preston media comment

Have a look and you will see the delight when he left

3 minutes ago, Bill said:

" Hugill could be extremely profligate, and this was a common criticism of the 27-year-old – “He takes 10 chances to score 1” and “He couldn’t hit a barndoor” were slurs often bellowed from the stands. " Preston media comment

We said that about Pukki on occasions in the Premier League last time out, wondering if he was losing his touch or indeed getting overplayed. You'll find critical opinions about players easily. The fact he got a move up to Preston and played there in the Championship for several seasons - and even if it didn't work out at West Ham he still played at a passable level in a very misfiring Middlesborough side and scored a fair few for QPR, both in the Championship, clearly indicate that the Championship is his level.

Hugill was bought for peanuts and sold for close to eight figures at Preston. No wonder they were pleased he was sold. On top of that, he'd put in a transfer request due to lack of ambition on their part. Preston are another side that are pretty prudent financially, even though they do have a wealthy owner.

2 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

We said that about Pukki on occasions in the Premier League last time out, wondering if he was losing his touch or indeed getting overplayed. You'll find critical opinions about players easily. The fact he got a move up to Preston and played there in the Championship for several seasons - and even if it didn't work out at West Ham he still played at a passable level in a very misfiring Middlesborough side and scored a fair few for QPR, both in the Championship, clearly indicate that the Championship is his level.

Hugill was bought for peanuts and sold for close to eight figures at Preston. No wonder they were pleased he was sold. On top of that, he'd put in a transfer request due to lack of ambition on their part. Preston are another side that are pretty prudent financially, even though they do have a wealthy owner.

'lack of ambition'

You sure that you're not talking about us/our fans? Really amusing of them to go on about ambiton though when they have never even been in the Prem

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

14 minutes ago, Bill said:

Considering he was (and still is) Preston's record sale at circa £9m, I doubt he performed badly.

• Like 1

Just now, cambridgeshire canary said:

'lack of ambition'

You sure that you're not talking about us/our fans? Really amusing of them to go on about ambiton though when they have never even been in the Prem

Actually, Preston were the original "Invincibles" back in the early days of the Football League in the 1880s as they were one of the founder members. It rankles with them that Blackburn, Wigan, Burnley, Bolton, and Blackpool have all been in the top flight in recent times, and they haven't.

1 hour ago, 1902 said:

Bizarre the Hugill hate. He was bought to be a big, tall striker for if we had to adopt a different shape. We also went out and bought a rapid winger who tends to drift outside and loaned a fullback who liked to (and could) cross. It's pretty clear we thought we might have to mix it up a lot more last season and that there needed to be a second option available to Farke should we not be able to go through the middle.

Buendia, Cantwell and Pukki meant we never had to try that tactic for any length of time.

Your second or third choice striker, brought in to play your second choice set of tactics, is not going to be 6'2", strong AND have the positional strength, touch and finishing ability of some of our more cultured players (mainly because then his name would be Lukaku and he would be worth about 100 million).

Instead he will probably look a bit clumsy, but centre backs won't like marking him and if you are lucky, will score you a goal every three games or so in and he will cost about 4/5 million (the going rate for a 15 goal a season, championship striker with a few years in him).

In other words, Hugill was exactly what was expected. Did the job required of him by the club, but thankfully wasn't required very often.

We will also probably get some of that money back and what we lose we would have probably had to pay a proportion out for an unproven premier League youngster as a loan fee if we hadn't brought him in.

I'm sure no one hates Hugill and I for one have nothing personal against him I don't even know the man. I think the main issue with the Hugill debate is not him but the fact that a top championship side looking to bounce back into the Premier league (us) would see Hugill as good business. He is what he is but I think the club got this one wrong and luckily it didn't cost us promotion but it could have. That £5 million could have been better spent on a more capable challenger to Pukki and someone with the potential to develop into a premier league cover striker, Hugill was never going to be that and that has been the frustration, not the player himself

47 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Actually, Preston were the original "Invincibles" back in the early days of the Football League in the 1880s as they were one of the founder members. It rankles with them that Blackburn, Wigan, Burnley, Bolton, and Blackpool have all been in the top flight in recent times, and they haven't.

The 1880's was also the last time Ipsiwch were a 'big club'

#themoreyouknow

wba.thumb.jpg.c5b3439a5e6f73e7505b95005481f169.jpg

On 10/08/2021 at 20:37, Mullet said:

Some of us last season said he offered nothing, some of you argued that his scoring stats were actually pretty good. Some of you said he is good for the dressing room (please refer to Roy Keane's appraisal of a part fit Jordan Henderson being included in the England Euro's squad because he is good for the dressing room).

I said during last season give Hugill to the Binners on a free and that he would not be with us next season and I was ridiculed like the village idiot.

He was a mistake, some us knew it, we will never see Hugill in Yellow again

• Like 1

On 12/08/2021 at 23:22, Mullet said:

I'm sure no one hates Hugill and I for one have nothing personal against him I don't even know the man. I think the main issue with the Hugill debate is not him but the fact that a top championship side looking to bounce back into the Premier league (us) would see Hugill as good business. He is what he is but I think the club got this one wrong and luckily it didn't cost us promotion but it could have. That £5 million could have been better spent on a more capable challenger to Pukki and someone with the potential to develop into a premier league cover striker, Hugill was never going to be that and that has been the frustration, not the player himself

And right on cue what happens?

A top Championship side looking to bounce back into the Premier League (West Brom) see Hugill as good business (but on a loan basis rather than an outright buy I'll grant you). 

On 12/08/2021 at 22:04, Bill said:

Hate ?

And now West Brom rate him at Championship level too.

So that Farke and his coaching team, Preston and their coaching team, QPR and their coaching team and West Brom + their coaching team.

All of those above, or Bill the anonymous PinkUn troll who doesn't think formations are real.

I think I know where to hedge my bets on this one.

6 minutes ago, hogesar said:

And now West Brom rate him at Championship level too.

So that Farke and his coaching team, Preston and their coaching team, QPR and their coaching team and West Brom + their coaching team.

All of those above, or Bill the anonymous PinkUn troll who doesn't think formations are real.

I think I know where to hedge my bets on this one.

Wasting your energy in typing that hoggy as it appears Bill/ City1st/Pockthorpe Pete is banned.

5 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Wasting your energy in typing that hoggy as it appears Bill/ City1st/Pockthorpe Pete is banned.

Just need Horsey for a full house 😉

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Oh wow, really? I mean I guess I shouldn't be surprised but considering all the stuff he's done and said before what on earth did he do to get banned?!

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

Oh wow, really? I mean I guess I shouldn't be surprised but considering all the stuff he's done and said before what on earth did he do to get banned?!

Pockthorpe Pete popped up last weekend and was chuntering on about somebody being banned in relation to the tabboo subject that our friend often mentions with regard to watching live games ( nudge nudge wink wink ) and it was obvious who he was talking about. He was offering some form of defence and within minutes the thread was deleted.

I don't think it helped that the thread title was ' Pink Un Double Standards '. 😂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

And right on cue what happens?

A top Championship side looking to bounce back into the Premier League (West Brom) see Hugill as good business (but on a loan basis rather than an outright buy I'll grant you). 

Well it appears Hugill will play in yellow again but in my defence I obviously meant he'll never play for us again. I also think West Brom taking a punt on Hugill on loan is different to wasting £5 million as you already pointed out.

Interestingly I read today that the West Brom manager has stated since the Hugill loan that he is now looking for goal scorer before the window closes. I had to chuckle at that.

Hugill got the season going at Rotherham but the fact is that’s about it. Just look at his career stats and the only strange part is transfer fees selling clubs received. Lovely chap but a poor mans Grant Holt any day of the week. 

Closer analysis is required of the loan of Hugill to WBA. He hasn't gone to just a middle/lower Championship club - he's gone to  West Brom who have just come down from the premier league and is now managed by Valerien Ismail - a manager who pulled average Barnsley into the playoff last season with absolutely no resources whatsoever. He has plenty of resources at WBA - massive club with Premier league players & parachute payments.  Ismail is a Frankfurt disciple with the same coaching technics as DF. He transformed Carlton Morris from an average league One striker to a player banging in/setting up goals challenging for promotion to the prem.

So why has Ismail gone for Hugill ?  Can Ismail do something with Hugill that DF couldn't ?   DL and Ismail are good friends - what influence has this got to do with the loan ? We had Hugill last season and got promoted right ? Could it be possible that Hugill is recruited solely for the team psychology factor due to his influence in the dressing room ?

4 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Hugill got the season going at Rotherham but the fact is that’s about it. Just look at his career stats and the only strange part is transfer fees selling clubs received. Lovely chap but a poor mans Grant Holt any day of the week. 

He served his purpose, much like Jordan Rhodes did a few years back 

scored some vital goals and came on and mixed it up a bit when we needed him too 

the form of pukki has kept two pedigree championship strikers out of the team for two consecutive championship seasons 

hugill will score a hatful for wba simply as they play to his strengths 

10 hours ago, Yobocop said:

He served his purpose, much like Jordan Rhodes did a few years back 

scored some vital goals and came on and mixed it up a bit when we needed him too 

the form of pukki has kept two pedigree championship strikers out of the team for two consecutive championship seasons 

hugill will score a hatful for wba simply as they play to his strengths 

How many is a hatful, 20 goals plus?