Winning 25

Placheta and Hernandez

4 hours ago, Google Bot said:

You can't train match experience though can you.  He's so eager every time he comes on the field that his rawness is evident, but if he had a good run in the team he'd find his position and exploit that explosiveness I think.

Whereas Placheta doesn't seem to know what or who he is.  And he has had a decent run of games to at least find an identity I feel. 

Clearly a talented player, but football IQ is hovering around naïve primary school age.   Makes you question the coaching, or more specifically what we see as his primary assets.

If I were in charge, PP would be primed ready to tear down that wing and I'd be asking my creative players to hit that ball way in front of him to run on.

But that doesn't appear to be the instruction when he comes on... So where does it fall down? Or if I have completely mis-read what his core ability is? 😕

No. Not at  all.

I am sure Daniel Farke will be anxious to get hold of your telephone number. He's said before that he feels he has learnt a lot more about the game from reading the views from posters on Der Rosarote than he has from spending over ten years in  management and from all those coaching courses he has been on.

Seriously though, many of us anticipated an "old-fashioned" style winger in Usain Placheta. Hugging the touchline, sprinting past full backs and pinging in crosses the way I vaguely remember our own Bill Punton**, Jimmy Neighbour and others have played in the past (it was thrilling.) The game has changed since then, something of that remains, but it's just as likely wing-backs who do that, whilst defining an actual "winger" can be difficult. Both Cantwell and Buendia have been labelled as such at times .... but neither fits the traditional definition. Argos more so, Placheta doesn't seem to realise his role. Desperate to impress, he is all over the place at the expense of him being at his most effective.

When the Guniard reported that Aston Villa had paid a record fee for Norwich City 'winger,' Emi Buendia, I raised my eyebrows.

I would have said right sided (?) midfield player who throws in a bit of total football and allows his talent to improvise, but then I'm a layman expressing an off the cuff view of things on a footie forum rather than writing a football coaching manual.

Not to decry the tic-tacs industry. It's very profitable for some.

**Bill Punton the first footballer to realise the importance of aerodynamics in the game. Apparently he used to heavily grease that bald patch of his before each game in order to give him that extra yard when sprinting down the wing. Nowadays, he would have worn slim-line orange boots as well.

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 1

On 12/08/2021 at 01:40, Google Bot said:

You can't train match experience though can you.  He's so eager every time he comes on the field that his rawness is evident, but if he had a good run in the team he'd find his position and exploit that explosiveness I think.

Whereas Placheta doesn't seem to know what or who he is.  And he has had a decent run of games to at least find an identity I feel. 

Clearly a talented player, but football IQ is hovering around naïve primary school age.   Makes you question the coaching, or more specifically what we see as his primary assets.

If I were in charge, PP would be primed ready to tear down that wing and I'd be asking my creative players to hit that ball way in front of him to run on.

But that doesn't appear to be the instruction when he comes on... So where does it fall down? Or if I have completely mis-read what his core ability is? 😕

He had a good run of starts at the start of last season and was highly predictable. IMO he hasn't worked on his game enough, something that would frustrate a coach like Farke . Trying to do it all on his own and not playing the system. This is why he is being replaced and why we haven't seen a flood of interest in him.

1 hour ago, hertfordyellow said:

Trying to do it all on his own and not playing the system. This is why he is being replaced and why we haven't seen a flood of interest in him.

I definitely agree with that, but still feel that Farke has soft spot for him and the door isn't as far shut as you feel, perhaps? 

But, regardless, I still don't understand why his greatest asset isn't being exploited - question i asked is whether it's Farke not wanting to exploit it, the player unable to carry out commands and be open to receiving a forward ball, or i've just totally misread PP's pace as being a strong part of his skillset?

As i said before, I'd feed him the ball in front and pretty confident he's winning most foot races in that scenario.  It's such an easy way of putting your opponent on the backfoot and making them less willing to press hard (Which ultimately is where we struggle the most).

On 12/08/2021 at 05:00, 1902 said:

My only qualm about the Platcheta argument is that the club is generally not afraid of jettisoning players that they believe have no future. Farke hasn't done anything to suggest that yet, in fact, the continued involvement of PP in the friendlies does imply he has some space for him.

Sure this may change with two new signings, but I think there is or (at least was until very recently) a plan for Placheta that perhaps we are missing. 

Maybe it is the previously mentioned conversion to a wing back, as an option out wide in a back 5, but that then goes into the whole speculation about whether the club are seriously considering playing with 3 players at centre back fairly regularly. You wouldn't keep a player exclusively for a position you would only need once in a blue moon. 

With Onel, he is an impact sub of limited ability. If Rashica proves to be effective as a strong direct, premier League winger who cuts inside and runs hard at defences, then I could see OH having fun against already cautious and tired defences. 

I suppose this week, we will see where the future lies.

Might that have something to do with our lack of LB cover and we’ve seen him at LWB in pre-season?

I wonder if that gap gets covered whether we might see him go out on loan.

1 hour ago, Google Bot said:

I definitely agree with that, but still feel that Farke has soft spot for him and the door isn't as far shut as you feel, perhaps? 

But, regardless, I still don't understand why his greatest asset isn't being exploited - question i asked is whether it's Farke not wanting to exploit it, the player unable to carry out commands and be open to receiving a forward ball, or i've just totally misread PP's pace as being a strong part of his skillset?

As i said before, I'd feed him the ball in front and pretty confident he's winning most foot races in that scenario.  It's such an easy way of putting your opponent on the backfoot and making them less willing to press hard (Which ultimately is where we struggle the most).

For about about 95% of the games we played last season the opposition defended very deep and made sure that there wasn't any space down the side of their defence for us to play the ball into for Placheta to run onto.

We don't have too many diagonal hits behind full backs either. Although that third goal against Gillingham that Rupp scored came about from a lovely low, raking diagonal ball by Gilmour behind their right-back, as Giannoulis had powered up the flank, and Rupp showed good poaching instincts to just hare into the front stick for anything sent in low, which was precisely what Giannoulis did.

If Giannoulis, who is pretty quick by our team's standards, can get that, then a Hernandez or particularly a Placheta most definitely can. Usually, it gets put into Przemek's feet and he has to take it on from there.

10 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

Might that have something to do with our lack of LB cover and we’ve seen him at LWB in pre-season?

I wonder if that gap gets covered whether we might see him go out on loan.

You are almost certainly right and I'll happily defer to your interpretation on that.

I just hope that whatever loan is arranged is the right one, you need a very good coaching set up to help players develop that kind of footballing brain (alongside regular football) that he needs.

In essence that means we need a championship version of us for him.

5 minutes ago, 1902 said:

You are almost certainly right and I'll happily defer to your interpretation on that.

I just hope that whatever loan is arranged is the right one, you need a very good coaching set up to help players develop that kind of footballing brain (alongside regular football) that he needs.

In essence that means we need a championship version of us for him.

Yea I agree. I think he really needs a season playing games in the right team. We can’t expect him to kick on with the bit part he’s played for us.

Edited by Monty13

On 10/08/2021 at 18:04, Ward 3 said:

Rather a pointless post. You already know the answer to your dumb question 

Go and buy Fifa or Football Manger, this season isn't for you. Bet you were so excited when we signed players you'd never heard of. Well now you need to clean that egg off your face, and learn from this experience 

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Winning 25 said:

Go and buy Fifa or Football Manger, this season isn't for you. Bet you were so excited when we signed players you'd never heard of. Well now you need to clean that egg off your face, and learn from this experience 

Wow chill out. Sorry I cant predict 4 months into the future. Shows I don't play fm or fifa 🤣. Go and change your pants after you quite clearly pissed your pants with excitement proving someone wrong. And yes I heard of gunn, kabak, normann, gilmour, rashica, tzolis. Just not Sargent. I'm so sorry 

On 11/08/2021 at 00:45, kick it off said:

Placheta - 2million last year and was pretty crap last season.

Hernandez - 2 million 3.5 years ago and has barely played for the last 2 years of that.

Rashica and Tzolis - approx 10mill each, this summer.

Are they upgrades? Yes, probably, if Webber didn't think they were significantly better players he wouldn't **** 20mill on them.

Are they ahead of Hernandez and Placheta in the pecking order? Yes. ****ing obviously. Even I'm ahead of placheta in farke's thinking at this point. If you think we're spending 20 million on players who are LOWER in the pecking order than Hernandez and Placheta, who are squad players at best, then I dont know what to tell you.

Both the questions posed in the OP were ****ing dumb. Sorry if that upsets you.

You've made yourself look a right fool here "Oooohhh Webber spends 20 million he must be right!"  You can share a slice of humble pie with ward 3

4 minutes ago, Winning 25 said:

You've made yourself look a right fool here "Oooohhh Webber spends 20 million he must be right!"  You can share a slice of humble pie with ward 3

Can you read? The point I made was Webber thinks they are upgrades and that's why he spent 20 mill on them. At no point did I say that he was right. If you're going to try and argue with people on the internet for no clear reason, then maybe a bit of basic comprehension might help your cause. Weird.

1 minute ago, kick it off said:

Can you read? The point I made was Webber thinks they are upgrades and that's why he spent 20 mill on them. At no point did I say that he was right. If you're going to try and argue with people on the internet for no clear reason, then maybe a bit of basic comprehension might help your cause. Weird.

You and ward 3 both began hostilities by calling me dumb for my initial post. I answer back and now you're playing the victim. Weird 

9 minutes ago, Winning 25 said:

You and ward 3 both began hostilities by calling me dumb for my initial post. I answer back and now you're playing the victim. Weird 

Your initial post was dumb then and is still dumb now. Tzolis and Rashica aren't the next Messi and CR7 but they're clearly upgrades on Placheta and Hernandez. They were signed for 10mill each so were clearly going to be above two poor wingers in the pecking order.

Not sure why you're trying to claim some kind of victory - your post is still dumb.

Not trying to play the victim by the way, just genuinely had no idea who you were, as I didn't check the OP., but now it's clear you have some kind of bizarre grudge over a post you made 4 months ago. Nice one. I'll leave it there, as I have zero interest arguing about whether your post is dumb or not, when it patently was and remains so.

Edited by kick it off

Some players do not live up to their price tags. What is so special about that? We sold Pritchard for 12 mils, now - still at 27 - he's rated at 2,5 m and left Huddersfield for free. Tzolis and Rashica can easily become our next Wolfsvinkels. Chances are that their valuations will drop by the end of the season.    

• Thanks 1

People who live in glass houses, shouldn't throw stones

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Winning 25 said:

People who live in glass houses, shouldn't throw stones

Jesus if we all predicted 4 months in the future we could sign players and be top of the league. But who In all seriousness thought placheta and hernandez where going to be any good when we signed them initially 

There really was no need for that. Does it still seem like a dumb question?

On 10/08/2021 at 19:39, kick it off said:

Nah, this post deserved it. Literally asking if the players we're spending millions of pounds to sign are seen as upgrades.... if the answer is no, why the **** would we be spending millions to sign them? 

Dumb post - deserved the response you gave 👍

Did it really though, in hindsight?

On 18/02/2023 at 23:44, Winning 25 said:

There really was no need for that. Does it still seem like a dumb question?

Wow you trawled through posts from months ago to reply. Haven't you got anything better to do?!?!

On 29/12/2021 at 03:43, Yobocop said:

Until we’ve seen Rashica and Tzolis at championship level then we can’t really judge 

We did see a little of Rashica at Championship level and his inability to beat a man constantly. Tzolis seems he need quarter of the season to regain fitness and match sharpness. Like many of said he doesnt really possess the attributes of a standard winger.