I'd rate Hanley above Gibson personally but both will look poor without a genuine CDM in front of them.

I'm pretty sure Brandon williams could play in a back 3 successfully, aswell as cover for rb lb

Skipp seems to have played alot for spurs and has had good reviews so I can't see him being loaned but as much as a CD wld be nice a CDM is paramount.

2 hours ago, CDMullins said:

Because we are a self funding club and the money from Hanley would contribute to a better replacement.

"He kept England out" is nonesense isn't it, let's be honest. It wasn't England v Grant Hanley.

You doubted his ability against top class opposition, yet he got good reviews in Scotland’s Euro team.

We wouldn’t get big money for Hanley so I don’t see your point, he’s a good age right now, there’s no incentive to cash in. 

Hanley haters abound, but given the paucity of CB talent he will be first choice in back 3 or 4 and deserves to be.

Zimm should be no where near the first team not the player of 2018/9.

Omadibele a talent but the PL not a place to learn your game but because of lack in CB recruitment may find him in the deepest of ends.

Seemingly not learned any lessons from last Pl season and both of starting CB's are returning from injury.  New CB should have been a priority rather than going for extra wingers.  Hope there is time to get another CB in the house.  

2 hours ago, glory.win or die. said:

I'd rate Hanley above Gibson personally but both will look poor without a genuine CDM in front of them.

I'm pretty sure Brandon williams could play in a back 3 successfully, aswell as cover for rb lb

Skipp seems to have played alot for spurs and has had good reviews so I can't see him being loaned but as much as a CD wld be nice a CDM is paramount.

'I'd rate Hanley above Gibson personally'

tumblr_inline_p1brmcd9Dk1rr08jv_500.jpg

2 hours ago, CDMullins said:

All for having a different opinion.

Where were you all of last season then?

All this player bashing when it's clearly for the sake of it and some nutty type of attention seeking. If you genuinely held that view you would have been on here every week last season. You haven't. None of the typical characters have. All melted off into the background only to raise your heads in the summer.

And even then, it's to scrap over morsels. You can throw the typical accusations at the club of not spending. So now it has to be on not spending it in the obvious place where the suggestion is two of our CB's are barely championship standard - one of which is club captain and has just had an outstanding season.

Opinion - no, for that you actually need some sort of reasoning.

An opinion is not "Hanley is 💩" that's just a good awful and inaccurate statement. 

3 hours ago, CDMullins said:

Because we are a self funding club and the money from Hanley would contribute to a better replacement.

"He kept England out" is nonesense isn't it, let's be honest. It wasn't England v Grant Hanley.

He would have comfortably kept them out even if it was. 😉 

2 hours ago, glory.win or die. said:

You're joking right? He's shorter than Max Aarons...

With the exception of Zimbo all our CHs are as good as each other, no problems with any of them starting.

We need backup though as we learned to our peril last time, especially if we are to seriously have a back 5.

6 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

What does this PL standard thing mean in any case? There's top six standard. Everton, Tottenham, Villa (?) standard and the rest. 

Mostly interested in who you’ve got down as top six here. Spurs not in it, so presumably Leicester are. But are you including Arsenal as top six or not even in the same group as Villa and Everton anymore? West Ham fuming!

I think more realistically nowadays the the “top six” is the top four again - Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool. Can’t see anyone other than those four winning it. Then Spurs, Arsenal, Leicester below that. West Ham, Villa, Everton, maybe even Leeds below that.

The bottom half is basically a free for all though with not much separating them really. Usually one or two really poor sides.

7 minutes ago, Aggy said:

Mostly interested in who you’ve got down as top six here. Spurs not in it, so presumably Leicester are. But are you including Arsenal as top six or not even in the same group as Villa and Everton anymore? West Ham fuming!

I think more realistically nowadays the the “top six” is the top four again - Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool. Can’t see anyone other than those four winning it. Then Spurs, Arsenal, Leicester below that. West Ham, Villa, Everton, maybe even Leeds below that.

The bottom half is basically a free for all though with not much separating them really. Usually one or two really poor sides.

May be so. No disagreement there, but I didn't intend to detail it, but merely make the point that the term "Premier League standard" is a bit ambiguous.

Nobody would expect Grant Hanley to be sought after by the Mancs, Liverpool or Chelski and a few others. But quite a few teams in that league wouldn't mind the old battleaxe in their line-up, to say nothing of the fact that most Chumps teams would fancy him at the drop of a hat. We know the overlap with the second tier, recent yo-yoing at Carrow Road confirm this with knobs on.

If a player fits, he fits. Both Hanley and Gibson illustrate this. Attributing them a "standard" is simplifying things.

I think we will sign one out of a DM or CB.

If we sign a quality DM it means Sorenson can be the additional CB cover. 

If we don't then Sorenson is needed at DM and we will need a CB. 

7 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I think we will sign one out of a DM or CB.

If we sign a quality DM it means Sorenson can be the additional CB cover. 

If we don't then Sorenson is needed at DM and we will need a CB. 

I'm agreeing with you a lot today, Sargent apart.

There could well be something in this Forest CB and with Hugill being involved in the deal. One City journo seemed certain that JH was on his way (no ref in my memory, ginger haired bloke exception***) and he would do well at Forest being more suited to the Hughton style than RVW was, but that's old hat now. 

***Edit: Conner Southwell on a YouTube blog.

Edited by BroadstairsR

I still see DM as a priority over a CB tbh 

I feel we will see at least one of the two signed before the end of the window

1 hour ago, chicken said:

Where were you all of last season then?

All this player bashing when it's clearly for the sake of it and some nutty type of attention seeking. If you genuinely held that view you would have been on here every week last season. You haven't. None of the typical characters have. All melted off into the background only to raise your heads in the summer.

And even then, it's to scrap over morsels. You can throw the typical accusations at the club of not spending. So now it has to be on not spending it in the obvious place where the suggestion is two of our CB's are barely championship standard - one of which is club captain and has just had an outstanding season.

Opinion - no, for that you actually need some sort of reasoning.

An opinion is not "Hanley is 💩" that's just a good awful and inaccurate statement. 

Feel free to find my older posts.

Ive never really rated Hanley;

Yes he had a good season last year but...

He wasn't playing Premier League football last season was he?

Just to confirm, I've also never "bashed him" nor called him 5hit.

And I have no idea how I fall into your "typical character" box, pretty bizarre rant tbh 

17 minutes ago, CDMullins said:

And I have no idea how I fall into your "typical character" box, pretty bizarre rant tbh 

No, but he won't be playing against Manchester City, Liverpool or Harry Kane etc. every week.

More now like those at Brentford (inc. Toney who he has handled before, rather well,) Watford ('Pool sniffing Sarr?), Southampton (sans Ings,) Brighton,  Newcastle (Jolean?) ..... .... ..... I could go on.

Blurred lines.

Edited by BroadstairsR

14 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

I'm agreeing with you a lot today, Sargent apart.

There could well be something in this Forest CB and with Hugill being involved in the deal. One City journo seemed certain that JH was on his way (no ref in my memory, ginger haired bloke exception***) and he would do well at Forest being more suited to the Hughton style than RVW was, but that's old hat now. 

***Edit: Conner Southwell on a YouTube blog.

We were linked to Joe Worrall last April.

The problem is Nottm Forest currently have a defensive injury crisis, so might be reluctant to let any defenders leave?

Wonder whether they'd also be interested in Klose and Trybull on loan to help them with that? 

£3m + Hugill + Trybull and Klose on loan, for Worrall. 

Nice bit of old fashioned wheeling and dealing. 

1 minute ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

We were linked to Joe Worrall last April.

The problem is Nottm Forest currently have a defensive injury crisis, so might be reluctant to let any defenders leave?

Wonder whether they'd also be interested in Klose and Trybull on loan to help them with that? 

£3m + Hugill + Trybull and Klose on loan, for Worrall. 

Nice bit of old fashioned wheeling and dealing. 

Zimbo springs more to mind, after Hugill ... there seems to be too much dosh involved (wages etc.) for such agreements nowadays.

Bondie was an expert in that.

8 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

No, but he won't be playing against Manchester City, Liverpool or Harry Kane etc. every week.

More now like those at Brentford (inc. Toney who he has handled before, rather well,) Watford, Southampton (sans Ings,) Brighton,  Newcastle (Jolean?) ..... .... ..... I could go on.

Blurred lines.

There's more talented and 'better' teams/players in Premier League than there is poor - compared to Hanley/Us.

9 minutes ago, CDMullins said:

There's more talented and 'better' teams/players in Premier League than there is poor - compared to Hanley/Us.

We accept that, but that doesn't necessarily make NCFC or any of our stalwarts a write off.

We could surprise, we could fail.

Right now I would rather support City than Brighton; for one.

We'll see.

PL teams have weak links too ... quite a lot when the season hits.

Blurred lines..

Edited by BroadstairsR

An in-vogue trait of modern football is deploying a holding midfielder, to drop into a back 3 when out of possession in a 5-4-1 block. 
     This is how I think Jacob Sorensen, or a potential new signing in that area of the pitch, will be utilised this season. 
     Here’s my thinking- this is the positional switch in-game that separates the 3-4-2-1, and 4-3-2-1 that we’ve used in pre-season. 
     Both system allow for more positional solidity and fluidity, and is why some of the best managers and most interesting teams use it, think Tuchel, think Atalanta. Think Naglesman’s Hoffenheim that Rupp participated in. A recent example of how this works, that some of you may be more familiar with was Hungary at the Euros. 
     Therefore, I think it’s more likely that we’ll sign another holding midfielder rather than a traditional CB: a player to play this interchangeable role, and allow Melou and Gilmour to pull strings as two no.8s. 

Edited by Mr. Raumdeuter III
Grammar

"Going with what we've got" frightens me a bit.If we are playing 3CB's we could need 6 in the squad. Omobamidele is great but so was Godfrey last time. He could end up better than Godfrey but we need to protect him. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Normal for Chicken

TVB you literally have no leg to stand on at this point. You have stropped more times than Harry Enfield as Kevin. You banged on about Sargent not having a left foot despite him scoring with his left foot. You have been regularly slagging off Cantwell for what, three seasons now? Every so often you actually contribute something close to resembling positive and/or constructive posts but recently that just hasn't been the case.

Pot calling kettle black, only I had rant at people generally being negative about our players - something you don't like because it's something you are also guilty of. And then you tend to accuse others of piling in. You could really do with giving it a rest for a while and perhaps trust that Farke knows a damn sight better than you.

23 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Zimbo springs more to mind, after Hugill ... there seems to be too much dosh involved (wages etc.) for such agreements nowadays.

Bondie was an expert in that.

If we are to accept we need to strengthen in the CB area after our experience two seasons ago... why on earth would you put the team in exactly the same position again? We need 5 CB's. Not a DM who can cover CB if needed (Tettey and Amadou starting at CB together). Zimbo won't be going anywhere this summer. Better to add to what we have. Klose is already off, I believe he's in Switzerland isn't he?

1 minute ago, chicken said:

If we are to accept we need to strengthen in the CB area after our experience two seasons ago... why on earth would you put the team in exactly the same position again? We need 5 CB's. Not a DM who can cover CB if needed (Tettey and Amadou starting at CB together). Zimbo won't be going anywhere this summer. Better to add to what we have. Klose is already off, I believe he's in Switzerland isn't he?

I didn't quite get that, but would imagine Worrell would be an upgrade on our much beloved Zimbo (age plus injury history)

That's all!

39 minutes ago, CDMullins said:

1) So you know better than the majority of fans and Farke who has him as club captain and starting games when he is fit ahead of others?
2) The point to this is? On that logic Gibson is useless as is Omobamidele. We need 4 new CB's not one. In addition to that, Worral at Forest, who people seem to rate, wasn't even part of a team that finished in the top half... His statistics are good, part of the 2nd meanest defences in the Championship last season. Teams that did worse are valuing their CB's at £10-15m... but no, you're right. Means nothing. He's clearly carp. Sack Farke and Webber, they clearly don't have a clue. Get that CDMullins in as a defensive scout/coach... 
3) Also wasn't just a rant at you - just the typical moaners who only creep out of the wood work every once in a while for a game of wack a troll. I actually have a bit more respect for TVB because at least his moaning is consistent and he sticks to his ship as it sinks rather than runs off to hide only to return when he thinks everyone has forgotten. 

2 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

I didn't quite get that, but would imagine Worrell would be an upgrade on our much beloved Zimbo (age plus injury history)

That's all!

I don't think we're looking to "upgrade" anyone so to speak. We need 5 CB's. To rely on Omobamidele for an entire season would be unfair on a player yet to turn 20. That's not to say we don't think he can, but as with Godfrey last time out, there were times when he was the only CB and having to carry that expectation which was tough, and sometimes youngsters will be a bit inconsistent and need to be taken out of the firing line.

I will absolutely love it if he starts every game and is superbly immense and helps keep us up, but I just think we need to temper that level of expectation and plan better with the squad. Lessons learned from last time etc.

We need 5 CB's. Especially if there is any plan to play 3 at the back. Got to be able to deal with an injury and a suspension and still have choice. With 9 subs now for games in the Premier League, there is more room to include players in matchday squads and vary things in terms of adapting the team on the pitch with subs.

If we sign a new CB and lose Zimbo and go with 4 CB including Omodamidele, I would fear we would have issues as per two seasons ago - when we know that Hanley has had his injury problems. Especially if the plan is to play 3 CB.

7 minutes ago, chicken said:

1) So you know better than the majority of fans and Farke who has him as club captain and starting games when he is fit ahead of others?
2) The point to this is? On that logic Gibson is useless as is Omobamidele. We need 4 new CB's not one. In addition to that, Worral at Forest, who people seem to rate, wasn't even part of a team that finished in the top half... His statistics are good, part of the 2nd meanest defences in the Championship last season. Teams that did worse are valuing their CB's at £10-15m... but no, you're right. Means nothing. He's clearly carp. Sack Farke and Webber, they clearly don't have a clue. Get that CDMullins in as a defensive scout/coach... 
3) Also wasn't just a rant at you - just the typical moaners who only creep out of the wood work every once in a while for a game of wack a troll. I actually have a bit more respect for TVB because at least his moaning is consistent and he sticks to his ship as it sinks rather than runs off to hide only to return when he thinks everyone has forgotten. 

This is the last time I'll engage with you, because you clearly have some sort of mental disorder boarding on psychosis.

The whole point of a forum is to discuss opinions.

I've never mentioned Worrall

I'm not a moaner.

Have a wonderful day 

We need a DM more than a CB. 

A world class CB wouldn't make us that much more secure defensively, but a decent DM would. Gibson and Hanely are limited, but decent defenders. They like to do the dirty work. But they need a bit of protection in front, mainly to stop the opposition running straight at them. Force the opposition to play longer balls, or balls in the air. Bread and butter for them. A midfield destroyer helps with this. 

Hot knife through butter is a cliché we hear to much in EPL! 

• Thanks 1