I appreciate there is the transfer rumour thread, but my topic is slightly different.

I don’t quite understand, and you may have views upon why, but we were supposedly in for Ajer, until Brentford won the race, so if we thought we needed a centre back, weeks ago, why do we not have one?

Appreciate it could still happen!

5 minutes ago, hps2031a said:

I appreciate there is the transfer rumour thread, but my topic is slightly different.

I don’t quite understand, and you may have views upon why, but we were supposedly in for Ajer, until Brentford won the race, so if we thought we needed a centre back, weeks ago, why do we not have one?

Appreciate it could still happen!

Big Andy will be on the edge of starting in my opinion, zimbo, Hanley and Gibson. I dont think we will sign one until mid season when 1 or 2 are injured..... just my thoughts 

I would imagine its because it's not as simple as popping into a shop and picking one off the shelf.

Webber has already said we will be going deep into the window so hold you hard. 

• Like 2

From what Michael Bailey said on the live stream at 8pm, the complicating factor is Omobamodiele (again, apologies if misspelt!). 

He returned from close season a bit like Todd did a couple of seasons ago, bigger, stronger, leaner. With their top targets deciding to go elsewhere, the club are reluctant to buy a player that ultimately won't be any better than him.

They seem to be biding their time and waiting to see if a player becomes available in the closing days of the window.

AO has certainly thrown a nice-to-have spanner in things by coming back so apparently ready, but if we are going to use a back 3, surely we need another body in that position as only have one ‘spare’.

Out of interest, and suggesting nothing at all, but has Cahill found a team yet?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

AO has certainly thrown a nice-to-have spanner in things by coming back so apparently ready, but if we are going to use a back 3, surely we need another body in that position as only have one ‘spare’.

Out of interest, and suggesting nothing at all, but has Cahill found a team yet?

Only thing that surprises me about Cahil is that he's not retired yet

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

12 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

It is very much a nice problem to have, isn't it? As things stand, you'd say that it'd be Gibson/Hanley/Omobamidele with Zimbo as a backup. Other things to consider - Sorensen played as one of a back three at Kings Lynn, and has already shown his versatility. Tomkinson has been around the first team in pre-season, so he might even be considered a 'sixth choice' (although I appreciate it's much more likely that he'd be U23 captain or go out on loan). Byram, should he get fit, is a bit taller and stronger than Lewis/Giannoulis/Aarons, so might be considered as someone who could slot into a back three.

Wouldn't be averse to an experienced head such as Cahill coming in; much as we don't want to 'block pathways' for our youngsters, we are in the toughest league in the world and that experience and nous (major tournaments with England, Champions League finals and so on) would benefit the squad.

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Only thing that surprises me about Cahil is that he's not retired yet

He must be about 48? 😂

Cahill signed up for a year would be a good move - some real PL experience for the youngsters and newbies. Him and Gibson as CBs would be damn good. No disrespect to Hanley, who was brilliant last year, but he allows too many chances and we can't afford to let the opposition score two every game.

Zimbo is a legend, but the goals on Saturday emphasised his problem with turning and his lack of speed off the mark. I don't think he's even a decent back up any more with the development of AO.

3 hours ago, hps2031a said:

…why do we not have one?

I seem to recall this situation the last time we were promoted to the Premier League when we tried to sign centre backs but were not successful so in the end we had to go with what we had. My guess is that we are in a similar situation, probably there are a few feelers/offers out there which hopefully will come off before the transfer window closes.

I'd be happy to replace Hanley with a proven CB,

Let Omi be 3rd choice.

Zimm 4th.

Hanley should retain some slight residual value to help bridge the gap.

1 hour ago, CDMullins said:

Let Omi be 3rd choice.

Zimm 4th.

Hanley to start. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Hanley is our best CB!! I would let zimmo go and have someone to start with Gibson and Hanley competing for the other shirt 

Agree.

This Hanley bashing is consistent. I don't get it, especially after so many of his outstanding displays last season.

What does this PL standard thing mean in any case? There's top six standard. Everton, Tottenham, Villa (?) standard and the rest. 

I venture to suggest that Hanley is at least the equal of or better than any CB turning out for either Watford or Brentford this coming season, plus a few others.

We've still got Klose so at bare bones level for making up the numbers we're okay but it would be nice to sign an upgrade on Zimbo/Klose. Lungi can also play at the back remember.

I feel we're probably looking but feel the attack is just as important to strengthen. After all our defence last season with Hanley and Gibson at the back was very good, plus Omobomadiele looks fairly comfortable already

We always need a defender and never get one. This time we have numbers, but with players you'd prefer upgraded so I'd still say we need one, but it probably not the priority right now.

Speaking of Timm Klose. I was just looking at how we are filling out the 25 man squad and it looks like there is room to include Klose. Surely this would be common sense to include him regardless if he's getting moved on this transfer window. He surely can't be a bad influence.

1 hour ago, BroadstairsR said:

What does this PL standard thing mean in any case? There's top six standard. Everton, Tottenham, Villa (?) standard and the rest. 

Agree with this of course.
But can anyone tell me why Villa are now rolling in it (other than the Grealish factor, which does go a long way) after being relegated a couple of seasons ago and - as I thought-  prior to that, having an owner who had turned off the taps? I’ve clearly not kept up

6 hours ago, CDMullins said:

Let Omi be 3rd choice.

Zimm 4th.

Why would you replace Hanley? Didn't he come 2nd in POTS last season? And in the euros he was decent enough...until injury 

I fully expect a CB to come in before the end of the window. I still see B Williams coming in from Man UTD on loan to provide competition in the RB/LB slot and then that just leaves a CDM to add.

I’ll echo what’s been said about the Hanley bashing. 2nd in POTS and in the championship team of the year…

Injury free he’s prem quality and the Hanley/Gibbo partnership is as good or better than the teams fighting against relegation (everyone outside the top 8 teams). 

Keeping them injury free is the hard bit so we defo need 1 more CB. 

I’m more concerned about left and right back. We’ve only got 4 and that includes a young Mumba and Byram, so essentially we’ve got 3. Need another one for sure. 

33 minutes ago, Ward 3 said:

Why would you replace Hanley? Didn't he come 2nd in POTS last season? And in the euros he was decent enough...until injury 

Because we've just signed Gibson and Omi is a young talent.

Zimm nor Klose have any value.

And most importantly, I don't think Hanley is cut out for the Premier League 

2 minutes ago, CDMullins said:

Because we've just signed Gibson and Omi is a young talent.

Zimm nor Klose have any value.

And most importantly, I don't think Hanley is cut out for the Premier League 

He was good enough to keep England quiet at a major tournament.

Regardless Klose is never appearing in a Norwich shirt again and if we do get someone better than Hanley he’s third choice and Zimmerman becomes surplus.

Why on Earth would we lose Hanley? You want to keep improving the squad not just make small incremental improvements in the starters.

2 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

Agree.

This Hanley bashing is consistent. I don't get it, especially after so many of his outstanding displays last season.

I venture to suggest that Hanley is at least the equal of or better than any CB turning out for either Watford or Brentford this coming season, plus a few others.

I think that own goal against liverpool in the first game before is still in peoples minds a bit

He was really good last year and seems to be improving still though

Edited by Haus

22 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

He was good enough to keep England quiet at a major tournament.

Regardless Klose is never appearing in a Norwich shirt again and if we do get someone better than Hanley he’s third choice and Zimmerman becomes surplus.

Why on Earth would we lose Hanley? You want to keep improving the squad not just make small incremental improvements in the starters.

Because we are a self funding club and the money from Hanley would contribute to a better replacement.

"He kept England out" is nonesense isn't it, let's be honest. It wasn't England v Grant Hanley.

1 minute ago, The Bristol Nest said:

It was Hanley v Kane though.

Anyway, this is nonsense. Hanley is one of our best players and I am glad that Farke agrees.

Agreed. He's still seen as the weak link by some. Hopefully they're all letting Farke know.

5 minutes ago, Old Shuck said:

Agreed. He's still seen as the weak link by some. Hopefully they're all letting Farke know.

School holidays in full flow I see.

All for having a different opinion.