Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

Will pukki struggle?

How much of Pukki’s success was down to the perfect passes of Emi? Can he consistently score without the other half of the partnership? And if he cannot / what is plan B? 

I think he'll be fine, he's scored a lot of goals for Finland. His fitness is more of a concern for me as he needs to be super sharp at this level and he can't afford to be a yard off the pace - as he was in the euros.

Pukki owes nothing, there’s some decent signings being announced this week. If the midfield can put them marginally on a plate he’ll get 15 + goals. 

Fit and sharp he will score, still have a few able to put a decent ball through the middle to run on to. I hope we don’t have to play him 50% fit or when exhausted again however, really need Idah to push him and replace him when necessary, a big season for him.

33 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

How much of Pukki’s success was down to the perfect passes of Emi? Can he consistently score without the other half of the partnership? And if he cannot / what is plan B? 

I suppose a striker can't rely totally on one provider to be successful, its now up to Cantwell, Tzolis and Seargent to give him service

23 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Pukki owes nothing, there’s some decent signings being announced this week. If the midfield can put them marginally on a plate he’ll get 15 + goals

I’m a big Pukki fan but I’d say you’re over playing things with the 15+ Goals. 

Only 7 players managed that in the premiership last season.

Can we please make some attempt on here to keep things real!

• Thanks 1

Pukki will be fine, as long as he is fully fit. His hold up plays is always good, his off the ball running is always good and he creates space for others and is good at creating chances too, so even if he doesn't score a hatfull of goals, he is always doing well for the team - and helps others to step up and score themselves. 

The onus is on the whole team to score goals and with the new players coming in we will be less predictable than the last PL season and hopefully more successful.

Damn! I can't remember who, but Someone went to a lot of trouble with statistics to prove that Buendia was only partially responsible for Pukki assists. Something like a third overall I think.

Emi was playing in a creative attacking role so it’s hardly surprising that he might be one of the guys who helped to create chances.  Whoever replaces him might similarly be expected to do the same.

Interestingly new negative angle of attack, though. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

Damn! I can't remember who, but Someone went to a lot of trouble with statistics to prove that Buendia was only partially responsible for Pukki assists. Something like a third overall I think.

Twitter's @ncfcnumbers shared a scorecard of his at the end of the season - for those not wanting to click the link...

• Since his debut, Buendia has provided more league assists (36) than any other player in English football (2nd de Bruyne; 3rd Alexander-Arnold).
  • In the last three seasons, has registered three more Championship assists than any other player, despite only playing in the division for two of those three years.
  • Since his debut, has created 32 more chances (296) than any other player in England's top two divisions.
  • Since his debut, no player in England's top two divisions has attempted more tackles (503) than Buendia.
  • Ranked in the top five Premier League players for tackles attempted (162), dribbles completed (102) and chances created (83) in Norwich Cit's 2019/20 relegation season.
  • In December 2019, created the most chances of any Premier League player in a single calendar month (29) since Opta stats began in 2003/04.
  • Buendia has 40 assists in 121 games, the third most of any Norwich City player this century. No other Norwich City player to have played under 150 games for the club this century has more than 21 assists.
  • Norwich City's record when Buendia started in the Championship was: P74 W52 D15 L7 Its 171, an average of 2.31 points per game and worth 106 points over a 46-game season.
  • Since Buendia's debut, Norwich CIty have not won at Carrow Road when he hasn't played.
  • Last season he became the first player this century to score 15 goals and provide 15 assists in fewer than 40 games in a Championship season.
  • In the last three seasons, Buendia has set up Teemu Pukki to score 15 times, the most devastating assist-to-goalscorer combo in English football (2nd - Kane to Son; 12).

It was never officially confirmed, but I'm convinced Pukki broke at least a toe in that ludicrous challenge at Leicester (a) a couple of years ago following a throw-in that should have been returned to us having kicked it out of play and he never fully recovered from it...he never looked quite right after it, and we had nobody else capable of stepping into his boots to give him the rest he needed.

He'll be fine this year, but we (obviously) do need those around him to be creating and scoring themselves to give ourselves a fighting chance - that and actually beat the teams likely to finish around us. It's lovely giving the top six a game but ultimately those odd wins mean nothing if and when those in the lower reaches of the league turn you over home and away.

9 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Does Emi play for Finland

No, he's Argentinian. 

5 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

No, he's Pukki. 

Have some respect.

I'll stick my neck and say he might.

He was still excellent last season but less efficient with his finishing (although if someone can dig out xg stats for him I'd be interested to see in more detail). 

He was averaging slightly less shots per 90 minutes in 18/19 but scored more goals, suggesting he was either getting better chances or he was taking chances better.

He's now going to get even less chances at this level and will be less of an unknown to Premier League teams. So I think he may struggle to top the 11 goals he got last time at this level. 

TC, Rupp, Dowell, Gilmour, McClean, PLM, Rashica, Max, Giannoulis all very capable of playing a decent ball into the box. Can't see any reason to worry other than has already been stated, TP's fitness. Looked a shell of a man at the Euros - perhaps we are looking at more of a Jamie Vardy type season for him now and relieving him of lung busting defensive recovery running should not be part of his remit! (or Pancake! - if you know you know)

Pukki has earned our respect IMO. He deserves a chance. There seems to be a real weird take on him that he is past it or something - I assume its those who watched him at <50% at the Euros and judging him on that.  He'll score 10 goals. Mark my words. 

• Like 1

Yes I think he will , 2 years older and slower than last time at this level but has earned the right to start the bigger worry is not having anybody good enough to replace him if he is struggling .

I would imagine the team will struggle many times this season. Its six or two threes. Do we defend more and risk not scoring or do we attack and risk conceding. Two years ago we did neither: 26-75.

I think we might have a chance of accruing points at home but we must improve on that appalling away record from last time.

So Teemu might be restricted in his chances, even with Emi, so its up to the rest to increase the amount of chances he gets.

2 hours ago, king canary said:

I'll stick my neck and say he might.

He was still excellent last season but less efficient with his finishing (although if someone can dig out xg stats for him I'd be interested to see in more detail). 

He was averaging slightly less shots per 90 minutes in 18/19 but scored more goals, suggesting he was either getting better chances or he was taking chances better.

He's now going to get even less chances at this level and will be less of an unknown to Premier League teams. So I think he may struggle to top the 11 goals he got last time at this level. 

It's not sticking your neck out to say "he might" Kingy. 🙂 

2 hours ago, Thumbbass said:

TC, Rupp, Dowell, Gilmour, McClean, PLM, Rashica, Max, Giannoulis all very capable of playing a decent ball into the box. Can't see any reason to worry other than has already been stated, TP's fitness. Looked a shell of a man at the Euros - perhaps we are looking at more of a Jamie Vardy type season for him now and relieving him of lung busting defensive recovery running should not be part of his remit! (or Pancake! - if you know you know)

On the other hand, Pukki should be given a bit slack about Euro performances. He had just hurriedly recovered from injury and having no match fitness at all as he was not able to participate friendlies before the finals. In addition Finland decided to take ultra-defensive approach which meant that there was not really much service available for him either. So, it would been quite a miracle if he would have performed on his best level offensively.

18 minutes ago, City 101 said:

Yes I think he will , 2 years older and slower than last time at this level but has earned the right to start the bigger worry is not having anybody good enough to replace him if he is struggling .

Pukki was timed among the quickest players at this year's Euros, especially over short distances.