Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

The 'we lost in a pointless friendly' complaints thread

40 minutes ago, Uncle Fred said:

I have been saying for weeks we are miles away from having a squad able to compete 

we have again failed to invest properly in the squad and the relegation is a nailed on certainty 

Can't remember you saying anything like that Uncle;  just not like you.

I suspect there is not a pundit out there who expects City to get a single point from the first three games. Farke, of course, will certainly not take that attitude, and I fully expect the team to give 100% in each game. However, I suspect the pundits are probably right about their predictions, so for me the most positive outcome is likely to be that we will have got three games out of the way that we didn't really have any great hopes for, but will have importantly got several players up to speed who have had their pre-seasons seriously disrupted.

Just going to smile and clap a courageous effort by the boys, the Geordies may have won the game but they can’t sleep comfortably at night knowing their club is self funded can they!, moral victory again today 🙂 

5 minutes ago, Son Ova Gunn said:

Just going to smile and clap a courageous effort by the boys, the Geordies may have won the game but they can’t sleep comfortably at night knowing their club is self funded can they!, moral victory again today 🙂 

Pretty sure a lot of Newcastle fans wish that their club was self funded!

1 minute ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Pretty sure a lot of Newcastle fans wish that their club was self funded!

It’s odd but nobody I know who supports other sides is remotely interested in self funding models and thinks we are fairly quaint and naive for doing it…

50 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

So you think the answers to our defensive issue is Rashica and Cantwell? Hmmm let me think…

Ironically yes I do. With more creativity and attacking impetus from the midfield, we could drop the wide defenders deeper and be less vulnerable to the type of pacy attack we got hit by today.

We’re not being dealt an even hand.

Two years ago we were decimated from the off with defensive injuries.

This time around we are undercooked because of COVID and cancelled friendly matches.

Always difficult to contend with a stacked deck.

45 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

It’s odd but nobody I know who supports other sides is remotely interested in self funding models and thinks we are fairly quaint and naive for doing it…

Well they are the ones that will miss out and don’t know what’s blo0dy good for them. 

6 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Well they are the ones that will miss out and don’t know what’s blo0dy good for them. 

Exactly, when the football bubble bursts and and the money is gone we can laugh in their smug little Ant & Dec faces while we fight again for the second tier title, while they get to play Sunderland in league one. Sheryl fking tweedy can then kiss my self funded a hole!

20 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Perhaps we could ask the FA to give points for least debt rather than wins? 

3 hours ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Disappointing but hopefully a wake-up call. Concerning as this was essentially our first choice line-up. May well bring us down to earth a bit and ensure we are switched on for Liverpool

Was it really our first choice line-up? By my reckoning, if everyone was fit and available there would be at least 5 different players on the pitch at the start and quite likely a different formation and we had no wide players available to try and change the game... Yes it was a bit of a wake up call but only in that the 3/5 at the back option is probably going to be less useful than we thought so it doesn't really change my view going into the season in so far. This preseason has been even worse than the curtailed one last season in terms of disruption, hopefully though that means the season itself will be less so

• Like 1

The result itself or worries about the squad depth and strength don't worry me so much but being undercooked for the start of the season through having two friendlies cancelled and several key players missing the games which have been played is definitely a slight concern. I'm still expecting two or three more new faces to come in after Tzolis and Sargent but our pre season has been pants through no fault of our own and it's very much less than ideal. 

It would have been a great confidence boost to win this game or at least not lose it, as it was we got a lesson. You could see Newcastle clearly wanted it more and worked harder. 

Time to re-evaluate and despite all the optimism of new signings maybe our little yo-yo is on the way down. At least we have a very good championship side if need be.

26 minutes ago, Mullet said:

Time to re-evaluate and despite all the optimism of new signings maybe our little yo-yo is on the way down. At least we have a very good championship side if need be.

Wow. The season hasn’t even started yet.

Sods law we’re having to play catch up yet again in the PL, this time due to a heavily impacted pre-season but as has been mentioned, I’m taking the approach that we’re not expected to get anything out of the first 3 or 4 games so it’s a chance for the whole squad to get proper game time, get up to speed, bed in the new signings (some we haven’t even signed yet too) and then see where we are. Wouldn’t surprise me at all if we nab some points out for the opening 4 either. Haven’t seen Hanley, Rashica, Pukki, McLean (and Sargent and Tzolis) get any significant time in pre season and that team vs Newcastle was not first choice. It was certainly a wake up call after easier games and will hopefully push out transfer activity on but it’s nothing to get worried about.

Have some faith!

1 minute ago, Fiery Zac said:

Sods law we’re having to play catch up yet again in the PL, this time due to a heavily impacted pre-season but as has been mentioned, I’m taking the approach that we’re not expected to get anything out of the first 3 or 4 games so it’s a chance for the whole squad to get proper game time, get up to speed, bed in the new signings (some we haven’t even signed yet too) and then see where we are. Wouldn’t surprise me at all if we nab some points out for the opening 4 either. Haven’t seen Hanley, Rashica, Pukki, McLean (and Sargent and Tzolis) get any significant time in pre season and that team vs Newcastle was not first choice. It was certainly a wake up call after easier games and will hopefully push out transfer activity on but it’s nothing to get worried about.

Have some faith!

That’s more like it, after the first four matches I think we’ll have 4 points. 

3 hours ago, Fiery Zac said:

Have some faith!

100% this. 

When you consider the team we put out amid Covid and the fact we were holding our own for 45 mins and then Newcastle bought on ‘all the boys’. 

I think its just a learning curve for the new ‘uns and Farke what actually lies ahead given we won all our pre season friendlies. 

I’ll be happy to get 1 point out of first four fixtures in fairness. Anything else is a bonus.

Its about time people tempered their expectations after ‘19/20. 

4 hours ago, Danke bitte said:

100% this. 

When you consider the team we put out amid Covid and the fact we were holding our own for 45 mins and then Newcastle bought on ‘all the boys’. 

I think its just a learning curve for the new ‘uns and Farke what actually lies ahead given we won all our pre season friendlies. 

I’ll be happy to get 1 point out of first four fixtures in fairness. Anything else is a bonus.

Its about time people tempered their expectations after ‘19/20. 

It’s about time the club snd it’s fans had higher expectations and filled the obvious gaps in the squad.

Newcastle are one of the worst teams we will play this season. If we cannot cope with their “boys” then we are nailed on for relegation. 

14 hours ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

Under Farke we have always struggled so much against pacy players who can dribble at speed like Saint-Maximin, even Carayol gave us some problems in the Gillingham friendly, we just don't seem to be able to deal with these type of players and to be honest I think we could really do with someone in that mold ourselves. The last one I can remember who fit that profile to play for us was Huckerby. We've had loads of wingers who have some technique, but nobody who can take the ball from deep areas, sprint with the ball at speed at defenders and cause havok with their dribbling skills. 

Tzolis from his highlights looks like he could maybe that type of player if he acclimatizes well but he's not that quick or physical. I know these players cost money but I really think we badly need a player like this.

The new Greek lad and Mumba possibly these players?

13 hours ago, unique said:

We’re not being dealt an even hand.

Two years ago we were decimated from the off with defensive injuries.

This time around we are undercooked because of COVID and cancelled friendly matches.

Always difficult to contend with a stacked deck.

I'm not sure we can go with that attitude. Every club has injuries, it's football. We always seem to bang on about them, but squad depth, or rather quality in depth, is the issue. One that's very hard to address for a club of our size. 

Covid outbreak has been tough, however, I can see it hitting other clubs in the next week or two during the season. So it a strange way, it may have been a  good thing to have it now. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Perhaps we could ask the FA to give points for least debt rather than wins? 

In other words, you’d gamble with the clubs entire future by spending in a manner that put the club at serious risk just so you can possibly achieve your lofty ambitions of us becoming the next Burnley or Palace (as you’ve already admitted embarrassingly). Any ‘supporter’ that would take that gamble I can guarantee does not truly care or have any real respect the club - it simply can’t mean that much to you. I’m just pleased it’s not you in control of the purse strings or we’d almost certainly be in very serious trouble indeed. In the real world, Webber will get the people we want in by the end of the window, whilst also having spent a considerable amount of not your money too whilst we’re at it.

• Like 1

Most clubs will go into a new season slightly undercooked especially after an international major tournament. There will also be new signings to bring up to speed.

In some ways those very difficult first 4 games come at a good time, points expectation is low but a good opportunity to gel the team and raise fitness levels. Then the crunch matches really begin!

There's no need to start looking for excuses and I'm actually pleased we lost yesterday as it's a wake up call that we still don't have a DM. 

Yesterday was a friendly. IT cost us nothing but pride. Like Capt said its good to get 4 very difficult games out of the way early. Sometimes you get strange results as teams get fitness up and start to gel squads. Realistically we don't expect anything but similarly anything is a bonus

Then the season really starts for us. Still hope a CB and a CDM come in, as thats the core to protecting the defence 

On 08/08/2021 at 08:20, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

The new Greek lad and Mumba possibly these players?

When I watched Mumba play v Swansea I thought the same thing. But Farke see's him as a RB and I have no right to disagree with that because I basically know next to nothing compared to him. Great dribbling skills from Mumba but obviously not that type of player because Farke knows best. I'll never be in that Godfrey is a DM camp. We need a natural winger who can do that, but they cost money