Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

The 'we lost in a pointless friendly' complaints thread

Are you angry? Do you wish to let off steam? Do you wish to post your genius hot takes such as 'If we had Stonking rich owners this wouldn't have happened' and 'Dwight Gayle only ever scores against Championship sides!' 'We are buying sideshow Bob for millions when we need better defenders!' And such? 

Feel free to do so in this thread. No need for lots of them forums clogged enough as it is 😉

Well there will be two camps

1) see I told you we need x, y and z 

2) you can’t tell anything from pre season (unless it is positive) 

With Liverpool and Man City rolling up next I lean towards concern not optimism at present - we head into a season weaker defensively if with a few more attacking options 

This result is a blessing in disguise, a timely reminder of how hard the premiership is and what we need to do to compete and get results at this level.

Looking forward to the new signings coming in and getting the players back fit.

• Like 1

Sounds like we did ok first half but once again too easy to score against. I find it incredible that once again we have not brought in a holding midfielder snd a centre back. As much as some of our attacking signings look promising I think it may be undermined by that failure again. If you asked our fans which areas needed strengthening I’d say 90% would have said those two positions. 

19 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Well there will be two camps

1) see I told you we need x, y and z 

2) you can’t tell anything from pre season (unless it is positive) 

With Liverpool and Man City rolling up next I lean towards concern not optimism at present - we head into a season weaker defensively if with a few more attacking options 

You lean towards pessimism?! Well I never!

You can't really tell much from preseason positive or negative, not sure why you've created two camps that both fit your narrative 😅😅

2 minutes ago, hogesar said:

You lean towards pessimism?! Well I never!

You can't really tell much from preseason positive or negative, not sure why you've created two camps that both fit your narrative 😅😅

Ha ha there was something similar recently that only had an ‘average’ or ‘poor’ option, but strangely missed the ‘good’ - maybe something to do with the new signings or something, but whatever it was it did make me chuckle! 

Need to get the new players bedded in bloody quickly. This gives us an indication how we look without Emi, Cantwell and Skipp.

We can't judge from meaningless friendlies, but it maybe a blessing in disguise that we got turned over today and we sort Skipp's replacement out.

Well, when we faced Liverpool at Carrow Road last time we only lost 0-1, and actually defended well for most of it. I'm sure Farke will have the team prepared, and I can see us playing on the counter for that one.

As there's no need to get over-excited with wins in pre-season friendlies, there's no need to crap the bed when we lose in them either.

• Like 1

Apart from anything else, it must be a concern that we are "undercooked." It has been a highly disrupted pre-season. The first 4 looked hard enough as it was, and I can't help feeling now that anything will be a bonus.

I think today is a sharp reminder of the levels and a big step up from kings Lynn and Gillingham.

our pre-season has been awful but not really through anything we can control. Buendia wanted out, skipp was not our player - two huge gaps to fill.

I trust in Webber to bring some talent in, but we know it’s nigh on impossible to compete at this level without investment and we just don’t have it. I am praying we bring in another centre half and holding midfielder in addition to the two young forward players (whom look like potential rather than being necessarily ready right now).

stil being a NCFC fan is all about blind optimism at times and usually when I think we will struggle we always do better so hoping so again. #uptheyellows

We need that CDM and we need him today. It’s simply key to how we play. We’re significantly weaker defensively without Skipp, and unfortunately the creative side of our game has also dipped with Emi’s departure.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Well, when we faced Liverpool at Carrow Road last time we only lost 0-1, and actually defended well for most of it. I'm sure Farke will have the team prepared, and I can see us playing on the counter for that one.

As there's no need to get over-excited with wins in pre-season friendlies, there's no need to crap the bed when we lose in them either.

This is a great point, Gunny. It’s the same year on year, when we win in pre season we get told not to get carried away, but when we lose then suddenly we should get carried away! How does that even make sense? Can’t take it seriously to be honest ha ha

I've only just done a shed-load of laundry....No way am I putting my washing machine on again for just a pair of my superstitious lucky Norwich City match-day urine soaked underpants.....

28 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

You'd have thought Rashica and Tzolis (if that gets over the line) would be good options for the counter. Rashica has been here a little while so imagine Farke wont have any concerns starting him, but Tzolis would be more or less throwing him in cold and I cant see Farke doing that.

15 minutes ago, Big O said:

I think today is a sharp reminder of the levels and a big step up from kings Lynn and Gillingham.

our pre-season has been awful but not really through anything we can control. Buendia wanted out, skipp was not our player - two huge gaps to fill.

I trust in Webber to bring some talent in, but we know it’s nigh on impossible to compete at this level without investment and we just don’t have it. I am praying we bring in another centre half and holding midfielder in addition to the two young forward players (whom look like potential rather than being necessarily ready right now).

stil being a NCFC fan is all about blind optimism at times and usually when I think we will struggle we always do better so hoping so again. #uptheyellows

Spot on!

I think we should have moved heaven and earth to get that CDM but instead landed Gilmour and Lels Melou who have many attributes it seems but that raw power quality is missing one believes? Not necessarily convinced we need another CB although Zimmerman is a weak link in that area. More important (arguably) is the protective shield just in front. Another concern is that it must be very unlikely the much hyped Rashica will feature next week as the boy has played pretty much no pre season match football of any relevance. Today was the last chance and he has not appeared.  

The comments about Billing and Armstrong have been (mostly) pretty negative from fans yet at least they could have stepped up immediately with no 'settling in' period required from language, culture, familiarity with the English game etc.

All that said, friendlies are no definitive pointer whatsoever to how the real season will pan out. They serve as fitness building, tactical planning / tweaks and personnel changes only. That is especially true when a number of key players were absent. 

I think it's a perfect example of the limitations of a back 3. The wingbacks are pretty ineffective at both ends of the pitch. The striker gets isolated without a proper number 10 and two wide AMs. The central areas get congested but we're vulnerable to pace in behind because of the lack of mobility across the back three.

On the other hand it's only a couple of tweaks away from being pretty effective. Keep the wingbacks lower and we'd be harder to get behind and with a bit more quality of movement from Pukki up front we'll create chances.

Weirdly it's fair to call it a narrow 3-0 defeat. But I think it's better than a victory at this stage because it shows what we need to improve. I'm actually more confident after this than I was before.

• Confused 1

I blame the kit.  Seriously.  Let's only play in 2nd or 3rd if we really have to.  We're Norwich City, the Canaries, we play in yellow!  

Haven't replaced Skipp and it was painfully obvious in that second half.

Oh wait that seems to sensible and to the point for this thread, let me have a think to come up with something better

It’s a timely reminder of just how hard it’s going to be. We’re going to lose a fair few games with a score line like that and perhaps worse. So it’s just tempering expectations. 

On the other hand Davitt mentioned that Newcastle were really going for it. So, read into that what you will, maybe they wanted it more. Can’t see the players worrying about it too much. 

13 minutes ago, Danke bitte said:

On the other hand Davitt mentioned that Newcastle were really going for it. So, read into that what you will, maybe they wanted it more. Can’t see the players worrying about it too much. 

Imagine after losing to Burnley they felt they had something to prove.

I have been saying for weeks we are miles away from having a squad able to compete 

we have again failed to invest properly in the squad and the relegation is a nailed on certainty 

10 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

Imagine after losing to Burnley they felt they had something to prove.

24 minutes ago, Danke bitte said:

It’s a timely reminder of just how hard it’s going to be. We’re going to lose a fair few games with a score line like that and perhaps worse. So it’s just tempering expectations. 

Losing is probably good prep ahead of Liverpool. Can activate proper park the bus mentality then 🤣

Under Farke we have always struggled so much against pacy players who can dribble at speed like Saint-Maximin, even Carayol gave us some problems in the Gillingham friendly, we just don't seem to be able to deal with these type of players and to be honest I think we could really do with someone in that mold ourselves. The last one I can remember who fit that profile to play for us was Huckerby. We've had loads of wingers who have some technique, but nobody who can take the ball from deep areas, sprint with the ball at speed at defenders and cause havok with their dribbling skills. 

Tzolis from his highlights looks like he could maybe that type of player if he acclimatizes well but he's not that quick or physical. I know these players cost money but I really think we badly need a player like this.

If only we could add £60m worth of creativity to that team, then we might be close to where we need to be... 

Oh, wait... With Cantwell, Rashica and a couple or 3 £10m additions we'd probably be a bit better. 

Unironically a bit afraid that Tzolis watched the match and thought to himself that he might as well stay another year in his home country. Its not rational I know, but not impossible