Sign in to follow this  
Branston Pickle

Meanwhile, down the road…

I’m at a bit of a loss for words….as a supporter I would find this immensely toe-curling..

From the BBC:

Ed Sheeran named in Ipswich Town squad list and given number 17

Published
51 minutes ago

Ed Sheeran has been named in the squad list for Ipswich Town for their upcoming season.

The singer, who lives in Suffolk and is a Tractor Boys fan, is already sponsoring the shirts of the men's and women's first-teams this campaign.

The chart-topping artist has now been given the number 17 shirt for the official squad list for 2021-2022.

"When Ipswich told me I thought they were joking but I love the idea," Sheeran said.

"I think this is going be a great season and I'm honoured to be a part of it. I just hope this squad number is only ceremonial because I want to see us promoted and that's not going to happen if I'm playing."

Ipswich Town start their third successive season in the third tier of English football on Saturday, against Morecambe.

Sheeran, from Framlingham, played a live-streamed, no-audience gig at the club's Portman Road ground in June. 

Ipswich Town chief executive Mark Ashton, said the club saw him wearing the number 17 when he performed that concert so he and manager Paul Cook "spoke about it and we agreed to offer Ed the chance of that squad number".

He added: "It's our way of thanking him for his support and we look forward to welcoming him to Portman Road this season."

Awful singer but a nice touch none the less. Joking apart why not give him some game time with what they have at hand. 

Edited by Midlands Yellow

Just now, Midlands Yellow said:

Awful singer but a nice touch none the less. 

Really?  I can imagine how ‘Tinpot’ this would be seen to be if it happened at NCFC.  It is embarrassing,

9 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Sheeran, from Framlingham, played a live-streamed, no-audience gig at the club's Portman Road ground in June. 

At least he already knows what it feels like to play for them…

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Wow, that absolutely doesn't seem like a desperate attempt to cling on to some sort of relevance.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Really?  I can imagine how ‘Tinpot’ this would be seen to be if it happened at NCFC.  It is embarrassing,

I did say give him a game too😉

We’ve had our moments over the years. 

• Haha 1

When asked to come off the bench, the local lad was found hiding above the Cobbold Stand sheeren.thumb.jpg.713d9e3079af687c5646ea38b9364763.jpg

Edited by Mullet

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Thats called 'pashun' 😉

Yes it is! And Delia has put us right since, she’d barely touched a drop that night. 

37 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Thats called 'pashun' 😉

That’s called too much pissshhhh!

It's not that cringey, honestly.

Local lad, now one of the most famous people on the planet, gets involved in local football team... let them enjoy their moment in the spotlight!

It's also kind of symbolic that we've just sold our number 17 for £35m, and bought a new number 17 for north of £10m.

Now if they gave him 10 minutes in a meaningless mid-table dead rubber match at the end of the season when promotion has already long since disappeared? That would be cringey.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Put it this way - what would we think if Delia was named in our match day squad?  It’s just odd.  

It’s a gimmick, I doubt Ed will actually play. Now if he comes on at half time to make a speech that would be stranger still.

Bloody yanks, already ruining what’s left of that football club, will probably come up with a new nickname soon, Ipswich Insurrection or some tosh like that. 

Edited by Surfer

I think it is a nice gesture. he is a local guy who has become a superstar, and he is happy to get involved / support his local club.

The club are appreciative of his support, the idea he is going to play in anything but a charity game is ridiculous.

4 hours ago, LaUnionCanary said:

Liverpool as Morecombe are not very far apart. Geographically that is, but not in any other way.

Is your name a reference to Union St-Gilloise?

11 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

I’m at a bit of a loss for words….as a supporter I would find this immensely toe-curling..

From the BBC:

Ed Sheeran named in Ipswich Town squad list and given number 17

Published
51 minutes ago

Ed Sheeran has been named in the squad list for Ipswich Town for their upcoming season.

The singer, who lives in Suffolk and is a Tractor Boys fan, is already sponsoring the shirts of the men's and women's first-teams this campaign.

The chart-topping artist has now been given the number 17 shirt for the official squad list for 2021-2022.

"When Ipswich told me I thought they were joking but I love the idea," Sheeran said.

"I think this is going be a great season and I'm honoured to be a part of it. I just hope this squad number is only ceremonial because I want to see us promoted and that's not going to happen if I'm playing."

Ipswich Town start their third successive season in the third tier of English football on Saturday, against Morecambe.

Ipswich Town chief executive Mark Ashton, said the club saw him wearing the number 17 when he performed that concert so he and manager Paul Cook "spoke about it and we agreed to offer Ed the chance of that squad number".

He added: "It's our way of thanking him for his support and we look forward to welcoming him to Portman Road this season."

To be fair didn't we used to give a squad number to  'The Fans'?

It's just harmless and possibly lucrative for them. Early days but the new owners do seem to be 100x better than Evans unfortunately and they have made some good signings for league 1 so.i fear they will go up, but God wouldn't it be great for them to still find a way to fail.

To be fair it's a nice touch and also a good marketing ploy as like or not he is pretty high profile. He's also rich enough to sink a few million into ITFC and not even miss it.

Giving him Emi's squad number is a crafty dig.

They heard that we’re about to sign an internationally recognised redhead so they’ve jumped in before us and signed one too 🤣