For all the rumours discussed and potential signings on the horizon, CDM is still key for me.

Getting the right signing in that position is going to be key to our success and hopefully excelling in the premier league.

We achieved success last season and a big part of that was down to Ollie Skipp who was outstanding in that CDM position. Proving how pivotal that position is for the team to be solid defensively and giving it structure and balance when attacking.

For me it’s the one position we haven’t addressed yet but is going to determine if we are successful or not this time around.

Suppose they can't recruit players in order of need but still think something will be done - maybe they buy one player that can cover both CB and CDM together

I'd be surprised - in fact, make that disappointed - if Sorensen isn't given his chance here. As great as Skipp was for us last season, Sorensen was the fall guy in comparison, yet he showed his class and composure playing in a position he'd never been in before.

I'm perfectly happy with the idea of Gilmour and Sorensen in the deeper positions. Gilmour won't stray too far forward but he'll keep the game moving crisply, and Sorensen is more than capable of breaking lines with diagonal passes, even though we're not going to get him mixed up with Vrancic any time soon. Both are also more than happy to take the ball in tighter spaces and do something with it, which will be key for us when our defence turn the ball over.

Edited by TheGunnShow

All the talk of Williams seems to suggest that they have given up on Skipp? There is also a lot of talk of Newcastle being after him.

I wondered, but don't have a clue, whether Spurs or Skipp might have said that they would prefer him to broaden his experience by going elsewhere next season, if he is to be loaned out - similar to our views about McCullum?

Completely agree, this position is absolutely key for me, and we saw last season what a huge step forward it was to have a player of Skipp’s quality in this position. In previous years, we had many threads about who would be our CDM (I seem to remember one or two (thousand) suggestions that it should be Godfrey), when it turned out Tettey would be more than adequate yet again. I’m surprised we haven’t had the same debate this time.

I really like Sorensen, but for all my desire to be as positive as I can, he is pretty much untested in that role with us, let alone in the Premier League. Waiting for Skipp to become available and playing Lungi in that role if he doesn’t seems an odd strategy. But ultimately in Farke we trust.

1 minute ago, Badger said:

All the talk of Williams seems to suggest that they have given up on Skipp? There is also a lot of talk of Newcastle being after him.

I wondered, but don't have a clue, whether Spurs or Skipp might have said that they would prefer him to broaden his experience by going elsewhere next season, if he is to be loaned out - similar to our views about McCullum?

I made the same point a week or two ago about a loan to a different club possibly being more valuable as a player would have a different experience, but when I saw the rumours about interest from Newcastle I did suppress a snigger. Steve Bruce or Daniel Farke to improve your young player? No contest surely.

It definitely sounds like we are still interested in Skipp, could be a last minute deal but for us that's no problem, he knows a lot of the squad and our set-up, he'd slip back in no problem

3 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

I made the same point a week or two ago about a loan to a different club possibly being more valuable as a player would have a different experience, but when I saw the rumours about interest from Newcastle I did suppress a snigger. Steve Bruce or Daniel Farke to improve your young player? No contest surely.

Certainly true on the coach front, but at Newcastle at least he would get used to playing regularly in front of 50,000+ moaning home fans! Good preparation for Spurs! 😄

Edited by Badger
Added word

4 hours ago, Badger said:

All the talk of Williams seems to suggest that they have given up on Skipp?

Is it only two domestic loans then? So Gilmour has one spot, and we can only sign one more?

3 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

Its Daniel Levy we are talking about here.

Skipp will go to whoever pays the largest loan fee.

2 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Is it only two domestic loans then? So Gilmour has one spot, and we can only sign one more?

Yes, that is my understanding.

1 minute ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Then we should pay the largest loan fee!

Realistically how much would that need to be, £3-4mil? I'm not sure. I would say its money well spent though for another season of Skipp. 

1 minute ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Then we should pay the largest loan fee!

Realistically how much would that need to be, £3-4mil? I'm not sure. I would say its money well spent though for another season of Skipp. 

Agreed.

We paid £2m to loan a backup keeper last time.

We could even offer £3m loan fee + throw in another £2m if we stay up, Levy would like the carrot. 

6 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I’m sure Levy is canny enough to see that the increase in value from a productive loan is greater than a fee which is £1 million more.

9 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Isn’t it two loans in the match-day squad? So we can take three, or even more, just not name them all for one game?

16 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Isn’t it two loans in the match-day squad? So we can take three, or even more, just not name them all for one game?

No idea, although that wouldn't be ideal anyway.