Jump to content

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, king canary said:

He may be a bit strident but he's just as entitled to his opinion as anyone else who likely hasn't watched any Werder Bremen but is talking about how good they think he can be.

I've mentioned before I do find it frustrating that this sort of opinion is dismissed as 'writing a player off before he's kicked a ball' but if he does turn out to be ****e and someone is critical you then get the old 'well I didn't see you complaining when we signed him!' response. 

Personally, from hearing the opinions of people I generally trust, I'm not thrilled by this signing but he'll be given the same chance as everyone else and if Webber rates him then I won't argue. 

I've not seen enough of the player to say either way, the highlights videos don't really tell you anything (other than TvBs no left-foot thing doesn't really stack up and that seems to be the crux of his point).

His statistics aren't anything remarkable but like you if Webber and Farke really want him then I think they've earnt the right to be trusted on it.

I've not seen anyone really talking about how good they think he can be, certainly not in the same vein as TvB has been taking a steaming dump on him.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, king canary said:

He may be a bit strident but he's just as entitled to his opinion as anyone else who likely hasn't watched any Werder Bremen but is talking about how good they think he can be.

I've mentioned before I do find it frustrating that this sort of opinion is dismissed as 'writing a player off before he's kicked a ball' but if he does turn out to be ****e and someone is critical you then get the old 'well I didn't see you complaining when we signed him!' response. 

Personally, from hearing the opinions of people I generally trust, I'm not thrilled by this signing but he'll be given the same chance as everyone else and if Webber rates him then I won't argue. 

This ^^^ 

I am prepared to give any player a chance . Yet there is no wrong in having an opinion or looking up the player and watching some tape , after which you compare and ponder about what he would add to the squad. 

Imho we are now in the PL and this doesn't seem to be a PL quality player.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry but am I missing something here? 

Lots of people saying that they trust our scouting department / Webber and Farke and that means I'm not entitled to judge a player from a completion video. 

As far as I'm aware this is merely a rumour which has come from CBS media in the US? 

That's a lot of faith to put in the American sports news, not learnt anything from their elections? 

Hence the title of the thread, hoping the rumour is untrue (just like the Carter-Vickers one was, also an American!). 

Interested in these rules though. We're allowed to get excited by Rashica based on him looking quality on YouTube, but aren't allowed to question the standard of another player from the same league based on videos on the same platform.

And he played the vast majority of his football as a centre forward last season, not a right winger as somebody above has claimed. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ROBFLECK said:

This ^^^ 

I am prepared to give any player a chance . Yet there is no wrong in having an opinion or looking up the player and watching some tape , after which you compare and ponder about what he would add to the squad. 

Imho we are now in the PL and this doesn't seem to be a PL quality player.

All these people who got excited by Rashica are going to pretend it isn't his stats + YouTube videos which got them excited (me included). 

Just pointing out that Sargent looks somewhat technically limited. Could pull together a better 3 minutes of Idah. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The guy was a supremely talented young striker that has moved abroad at a young age and has performed okay. He's had a goal involvement approximately every three games playing for a bad Bundesliga side. This is our level. Get young players with pedigree and trust Farke to make them better. We won't get them all right, but no-one does.

Grant Holt was playing in Singapore at his age.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What we needed was not a Hugill upgrade but a Pukki upgrade , very weak set of strikers for the level and it’s goals that win games .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Sorry but am I missing something here? 

Lots of people saying that they trust our scouting department / Webber and Farke and that means I'm not entitled to judge a player from a completion video. 

As far as I'm aware this is merely a rumour which has come from CBS media in the US? 

That's a lot of faith to put in the American sports news, not learnt anything from their elections? 

Hence the title of the thread, hoping the rumour is untrue (just like the Carter-Vickers one was, also an American!). 

Interested in these rules though. We're allowed to get excited by Rashica based on him looking quality on YouTube, but aren't allowed to question the standard of another player from the same league based on videos on the same platform.

And he played the vast majority of his football as a centre forward last season, not a right winger as somebody above has claimed. 

 

 

I'm not sure I claimed it, I'm pretty sure I said "didn't he", I think I can put that down as asking the question not claiming it as fact. Happy to be proven to be wrong.

You have absolutely every right to say you think he is not the signing you would have made and why, but don't bring the Gatling gun out for everyone who slightly questions that logic!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, 1902 said:

I'm not sure I claimed it, I'm pretty sure I said "didn't he", I think I can put that down as asking the question not claiming it as fact. Happy to be proven to be wrong.

You have absolutely every right to say you think he is not the signing you would have made and why, but don't bring the Gatling gun out for everyone who slightly questions that logic!

It was another poster

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

It was another poster

Fair enough then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Can't remember seeing a player as "one footed" as this for a long long time.

Seriously, just watch it, he looks like he's not got the ability to use his left foot at all, its the weirdest thing I've seen in football at this level.  

 

 

Your starting to make even me and Jim look like positive posters now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I have to say I'm very unconvinced by Sargent. The €10m we're believed to be spending on him seems a bit too much to me for a striker who doesn't have a great goal scoring record. I know we're not going to afford proven PL strikers and whoever we sign will just be backup, but if Sargent is deemed good enough then I think we might as well have not sent Soto on loan or gone for an average Championship striker. 

Hope I'm proven wrong though, and if we're going for him then surely Farke/Webber must know something about him that makes them think he would be a good addition to the squad

Edited by HazzaJet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

All these people who got excited by Rashica are going to pretend it isn't his stats + YouTube videos which got them excited (me included). 

Just pointing out that Sargent looks somewhat technically limited. Could pull together a better 3 minutes of Idah. 

You have every right to your opinion, the only part of your opinion I would question is the "left foot" thing, I watched the video you posted, and in that video Josh tucked away a goal with his left foot. I have not expressed any other opinion of him as a potential signing based on that video, , in the same way I have not expressed an opinion on the signings we have made. I personally do not take much notice of video clips/compilations or stats, I prefer to see a player with my own eyes and make a judgement after a decent run of games, I am not saying that is the right way of doing it but that is just the way I tend to judge players, each to their own...............

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Based on some highlights he does look slightly one footed, but then again so does Pukki sometimes. 

 

I'm not sure what exactly the history is with the OP poster but obviously you are allowed to judge players a bit based on highlights videos. Mister Sargent doesn't exactly spark joy does he? Whoscored informs me his strenght is defensive contribution while his weakness is finishing.

 

But as others have said if the club want him there is surely some logic behind it. The Bundesliga has an interesting article on his skills and weaknesses. They compare him to Roberto Firmino, not in terms of flair but in defensive contribution, tactical intelligence etc. Here is a pertinent quote. "The amount of work he puts in, the stability he gives us in terms of defence - I've been really impressed by the way he's executing all that. We need that intensity. Josh is such an unbelievable team player.”

Being an attacker is about more than scoring goals. And if we'd have a front four of Tzolis (insallah), Rashica and Cantwell, then having Sargent as the fourth piece of the puzzle would be too bad would it? Especially if we are defending a lead and Pukki's legs look tired. Sargent is a young player who might not be the most talented player in the world but he seems to have a good understanding of the game and be quite mature at a young age, which indicates a potential to develop. I think long term he has potential to be a very good signing in a way someone like Hugill never had.


https://www.bundesliga.com/en/2bundesliga/news/where-is-josh-sargent-s-best-position-werder-bremen-usa-striker-16737

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, HazzaJet said:

I have to say I'm very unconvinced by Sargent. The €10m we're believed to be spending on him seems a bit too much to me for a striker who doesn't have a great goal scoring record. I know we're not going to afford proven PL strikers and whoever we sign will just be backup, but if Sargent is deemed good enough then I think we might as well have not sent Soto on loan or gone for an average Championship striker. 

Hope I'm proven wrong though, and if we're going for him then surely Farke/Webber must know something about him that makes them think he would be a good addition to the squad

£10m is yesterday’s 5 - it really is the starting point for strikers these days 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

Under-appreciated post of the week.

Cheers, Nuff. Jeez, tough crowd!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

£10m is yesterday’s 5 - it really is the starting point for strikers these days 

It is crazy how transfer fees just escalate and escalate.

Imagine how much we'd have to pay for someone like Steve Morison now- back when we signed him it was about £3m for a striker entering his prime with something like 16 Championship goals the season before. These days a player like that is setting you back £10m+. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Sargent often starts on the right and is prized for his work rate, then this resolves part of the Buendia puzzle. Buendia was prized simply as he was incredibly creative AND also worked his socks off, a very rare combination and part of the reason we loved him so much.

We won't find another Buendia at that price. However, we can find two or three players who bring everything else between them, whilst hopefully making the team more solid and less dependent on a single player as a result. Even when Rupp was struggling and out of position when he started, his defensive work rate could not be faulted and now he's more settled, his class showed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a genuine question to TVB, have you ever seen him play before, or is this purely based on a three-minute highlights video? 

If you've seen him play a couple of times then fair enough, but if it's just a short highlights video then you can't judge a player on that at all, just as we can't herald Rashica as the second coming based on a video either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Fuzzar said:

Cheers, Nuff. Jeez, tough crowd!

I know, sometimes it’s hard not to feel unappreciated. 😩

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

£10m is yesterday’s 5 - it really is the starting point for strikers these days 

But it will still feel like a huge amount if you don't get it right... Like RVW. 

Agree with the poster above, that we need Pukki competition in the Armstrong mould not to upgrade the 3rd choice.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

As a genuine question to TVB, have you ever seen him play before, or is this purely based on a three-minute highlights video? 

If you've seen him play a couple of times then fair enough, but if it's just a short highlights video then you can't judge a player on that at all, just as we can't herald Rashica as the second coming based on a video either. 

Based on several highlights videos.

I have a question for you.. have you ever got excited by a signing that you haven't seen play? 

Rashica perhaps? I have. 

Why is it ok to get excited by overseas players based on stats and highlights videos, but the reverse is unacceptable (even when it's just in response to a RUMOUR and not even a signing!).

Double standards. Allowed to say that Rashica could be a great signing on the strength of similar knowledge.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, chicken said:


And you don't want people to ignore you, Yobocop is right in that sense. If people ignored you, who would read your posts? All of three or four people maybe?

There are other ncfc forums that would be glad of those numbers..... ☺ 

Edited by Greavsy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Based on several highlights videos.

I have a question for you.. have you ever got excited by a signing that you haven't seen play? 

Rashica perhaps? I have. 

Why is it ok to get excited by overseas players based on stats and highlights videos, but the reverse is unacceptable (even when it's just in response to a RUMOUR and not even a signing!).

Double standards. Allowed to say that Rashica could be a great signing on the strength of similar knowledge.

I think there is just a general baseline of being optimistic which is acceptable / expected versus being pessimistic. 

As fans we should always default to giving a new signing a fair chance and hoping they come off etc. 

I agree though, it is equally as silly to get carried away at a good highlight video as your OP was. Your OP was pretty funny though, I was fully expecting to see an absolute donkey but he really didn't look as one-sided as you made out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Based on several highlights videos.

I have a question for you.. have you ever got excited by a signing that you haven't seen play? 

Rashica perhaps? I have. 

Why is it ok to get excited by overseas players based on stats and highlights videos, but the reverse is unacceptable (even when it's just in response to a RUMOUR and not even a signing!).

Double standards. Allowed to say that Rashica could be a great signing on the strength of similar knowledge.

Of course I have, and there have been signings I've been underwhelmed by, but I haven't been critical of them unless I've actually seen them play. 

It could just be that his style doesn't suit a highlights video. You could probably make one for Grant Holt or Troy Deeney and they wouldn't look amazing because they're not that type of player, and it's probably similar for someone like Dirk Kuyt or even Thomas Muller.

Sargent, should he sign, may be a hit or he may be a miss, but it just seems a bit harsh to only focus on his flaws before giving him a chance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Strange post this. 

Sargent has decent pedigree whilst still being young and developing. If he manages to score 10 goals next season, you've at least doubled his transfer value straight away. I think this could be a shrewd bit of business.

Clearly different to what we already have, and seems adaptable to different positions. Makes sense to me. Can't all be flair type players... looks like potential fan favourite material to me, a more technical Grant Holt?

What odds would you give on a player who scored 5 in 32 in the Bundesliga last season being able to reach double figures in the Prem next season then? 

Because I'd want 1000/1 to put a pound down. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Of course I have, and there have been signings I've been underwhelmed by, but I haven't been critical of them unless I've actually seen them play. 

It could just be that his style doesn't suit a highlights video. You could probably make one for Grant Holt or Troy Deeney and they wouldn't look amazing because they're not that type of player, and it's probably similar for someone like Dirk Kuyt or even Thomas Muller.

Sargent, should he sign, may be a hit or he may be a miss, but it just seems a bit harsh to only focus on his flaws before giving him a chance.

Whether TVB or anyone else rates him has no impact on whether he is 'given a chance.'

I like to believe that if the OP was in the stadium and Sargent is playing he won't be relentlessly booing him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Of course I have, and there have been signings I've been underwhelmed by, but I haven't been critical of them unless I've actually seen them play. 

It could just be that his style doesn't suit a highlights video. You could probably make one for Grant Holt or Troy Deeney and they wouldn't look amazing because they're not that type of player, and it's probably similar for someone like Dirk Kuyt or even Thomas Muller.

Sargent, should he sign, may be a hit or he may be a miss, but it just seems a bit harsh to only focus on his flaws before giving him a chance.

You joking? Holt scored some incredible goals in the Prem, go and watch a highlights video! 

People think this Sargent rumour has some legs then? I was thinking it was just a rumour, is this actually happening then? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...