TeemuVanBasten

Hope Sargent isn't true.

15 minutes ago, Hoolahoop14 said:

I said it before in another thread but he is genuinely the worst footballer I’ve seen in a Norwich shirt since Chris Brown back in 07/08.

Just when tonight couldn’t get any worse , someone mentions Chris Brown. I recall shouting at him on the A47 after another horrific game for us . He was absolute cràp.

• Like 1

£9 million totally wasted and whoever identified Sargent as a signing should hang his head in shame and be removed from our scouting network.

7 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

£9 million totally wasted and whoever identified Sargent as a signing should hang his head in shame and be removed from our scouting network.

I didn't think we had a scouting network, I assumed it was Webber signing players based on his latest Football Manager save 🤷‍♂️

40 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

I don’t get why people need to get so OTT.

He’s been pretty poor, yes, but he’s only 21 and 700 minutes (equivalent of 8 full games) into his Norwich career.

It isn’t close to £9 million ‘totally wasted’ yet and I don’t get why people can’t just (rightly) criticise his performances without making it sound like there is no possible chance of him coming good. It’s bizarre. 

You’d think enough of our good signings with slow starts would have been and gone now for people to learn a bit of patience…

• Like 7

58 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

If you think about it like we got Rasicha for £18m and Bremen threw Sargent in for free does that make it any better for you?

Edited by WD40
Specificity
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Green Canary said:

I would guess he is a decent finisher in training and his problems are as much mental as technical. It just looks like he gets a massive rush of blood to the head when faced with a goalscoring opportunity in a competitive match. I have no idea if that can be resolved. 

Like others, I'm not sure what the scouts saw in him. It was the same with Naismith - paying good money for an attacker whose record shows they don't score goals. Let's hope it turns out better than that

Thing is when Naismith made his debut I thought 'This guy is the business'. What the hell happened? RvW got off to a great start if his debut wasnt that impressive. Because we'd signed 'The Wolf' stolen from under the noses of the best clubs in Europe, we all overlooked the fact that his header was probably a complete fluke

6 hours ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

He’s been pretty poor, yes, but he’s only 21 and 700 minutes (equivalent of 8 full games) into his Norwich career.

It isn’t close to £9 million ‘totally wasted’ yet and I don’t get why people can’t just (rightly) criticise his performances without making it sound like there is no possible chance of him coming good. It’s bizarre. 

You’d think enough of our good signings with slow starts would have been and gone now for people to learn a bit of patience…

He's had more minutes this season than Tzolis, Idah, Sorensen and Omobamidele combined. It's time we started to offer these equally young players the opportunity that Sargent has been given and utterly failed to take. He has two skills - running all day long and often being in the right place at the right time, but if someone at his age completely lacks technical ability, there is nothing that can be done. He's had his chance - give others the same chance.

9 hours ago, Ken Hairy said:

I didn't think we had a scouting network, I assumed it was Webber signing players based on his latest Football Manager save 🤷‍♂️

This. They’ve said he was basically identified on his stats. Him and Placheta. Make of that what you will but neither has any actual footballing ability. 

10 hours ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

He was signed to play in the Premier League and provide back up to Pukki so there is no time to sit back and wait or hope that he will come good. The chap would not cut it in the Championship and i am far from the only person on here or at the game yesterday that thinks just that. £9 million by our standards is an absolute fortune to spend and could have been better spent, in fact probably not spent at all.We have purchased a dud and heaven help us if Pukki gets injured .

Edited by TIL 1010

11 hours ago, WD40 said:

If you think about it like we got Rasicha for £18m and Bremen threw Sargent in for free does that make it any better for you?

No, still too much, how about £20million for Rashica and they knocked £2million off for taking Sargent? 

59 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

He was signed to play in the Premier League and provide back up to Pukki so there is no time to sit back and wait or hope that he will come good. The chap would not cut it in the Championship and i am far from the only person on here or at the game yesterday that thinks just that. £9 million by our standards is an absolute fortune to spend and could have been better spent, in fact probably not spent at all.We have purchased a dud and heaven help us if Pukki gets injured .

I do agree that there are genuine question marks over signing players like Sargent, Tzolis, Gilmour and Williams, who are very young and inexperienced and have each struggled in their own way. But that isn't Sargent's fault and it doesn't mean he can't eventually come good for us, which you appear so certain about. 

Again, is 8 full games in a team which has been struggling to gel, and struggling to score goals (both with and without Sargent) enough for a definitive answer? Apparently so and the guy is already a failure in the championship too! Do you think you are sounding reasonable right now?

Surprised you didn't bring out the Slowbottom Park comment that Srbeny got 2 season ago....

7 minutes ago, Iwans Big Toe said:

Looks like Norwich fans aren't the only ones unimpressed.

😲 

falling upwards🤣. What can you say. 🤔 

33 minutes ago, Iwans Big Toe said:

Looks like Norwich fans aren't the only ones unimpressed.

The whole team has been **** though, not just Sargent. 

He's also played on the right more than he's played up front.

I'm surprised that people don't understand that when a team is doing poorly, some players individually also struggle. Particularly young players in a new league in a new country with lots of other new players around them who also haven't gelled very well? 

Is Josh the only one struggling here? No. 

Gilmour is getting overwhelmed out of possession in every game. 

PLM has been a bit meh. 

Tzolis has been mostly ineffective but we've not seen much of him.

Williams has a shocking game (Leicester, Newcastle) for every good game (Arsenal, Spurs) he has. 

Kabak has looked miles off the pace and is probably our 4th choice CB now. 

Even Rashica only really got going after 8-9 games. 

The only signing that fit straight in has been Normann. 

Then you've got our long-standing players from last season, and the only ones who deserve any credit for their performances this season IMO is Pukki and possibly Aarons. I would like to have seen more of Giannoulis too. 

So really we've got a squad that overall has not performed well as a team, and surprise surprise that means that individuals are also performing way below their usual standards.

Its a collective thing and if Smith can start to get the base of the team working to the sum of their parts then I am sure individual players including Sargent would start to look better too. We do appear to have improved under Smith so if that continues I am sure we still start to see improved individual performances too. 

I'm just not sure why anyone feels the need to start a witch hunt for only certain individuals when actually there are probably only 3 players who have any genuine credit in the bank (Normann, Rashica and Pukki)!

Edited by Hank shoots Skyler
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I just didn't want to see my club waste sh*t loads of money on a dogsh*t striker again Corky and then rely entirely on Pukki for goals, it didn't work last time and it isn't working this time.

£3.6m Watford paid for Dennis this summer, Wolves signed Hwang on loan. 

We wasted our money, and we're not getting back, and it was so obvious that this was going to be the case. 

Is he not a “Baller” anymore?

2 hours ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

I do agree that there are genuine question marks over signing players like Sargent, Tzolis, Gilmour and Williams, who are very young and inexperienced and have each struggled in their own way. But that isn't Sargent's fault and it doesn't mean he can't eventually come good for us, which you appear so certain about. 

Again, is 8 full games in a team which has been struggling to gel, and struggling to score goals (both with and without Sargent) enough for a definitive answer? Apparently so and the guy is already a failure in the championship too! Do you think you are sounding reasonable right now?

Surprised you didn't bring out the Slowbottom Park comment that Srbeny got 2 season ago....

Ah yes the Srbeny who has yet to score in 14 Bundesliga 2 appearances this season you mean ?

As for you thinking i sound unreasonable i am looking at the big picture of Norwich staying in the PL and extending sympathy to the shortcomings of Sargent in the hope he comes good at some stage in the future is not part of that picture.

2 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Ah yes the Srbeny who has yet to score in 14 Bundesliga 2 appearances this season you mean ?

As for you thinking i sound unreasonable i am looking at the big picture of Norwich staying in the PL and extending sympathy to the shortcomings of Sargent in the hope he comes good at some stage in the future is not part of that picture.

It doesn't matter what Srbeny's Bundesliga record is, the fact he is playing regularly in the German top league does kind of suggest that he's a bit better than Slowbottom Park standard don't you think?! 

If you want to look at it from an angle of us needing to stay in the PL, then yes I agree Sargent looks like he could prove to be a poor signing for this campaign. As do most of our signings so far to be fair,  though I would say its still very soon to be offering the final verdict for his contribution this season considering we're about 40% of the way through. A bit like offering the MOTM award 35 minutes into a game... 

But whatever happens with Sargent's performances between now and the end of the season, us failing to stay up this season does not make him a 'dud', 'money wasted', and 'not good enough for the championship' does it? That is quite clearly where you are being unfair...

Funny as I don't recall anyone saying this after the Southampton game when Sargent's introduction sparked a total change in the second half. You're only ever as good as your last performance with some on here! 

Hang on, didn't he change the game when he came on against Southampton?

Well yes, but he missed an open goal against Brighton and that’s the important thing we must focus on Ian.

4 hours ago, Ken Hairy said:

No, still too much, how about £20million for Rashica and they knocked £2million off for taking Sargent? 

Was thinking that as I wrote it haha!

42 minutes ago, Ian said:

Hang on, didn't he change the game when he came on against Southampton?

He did help to change the game, yes. Although I'd suggest it says more about how ineffective Cantwell was, it felt like we were a player short. 

Sargent is a worry. I hope he improves, but he's failing at the most basic of things. It's not just the empty net miss against Brighton, he's missed other sitters, ballooned shots and scuffed the rest! He looks terrible. 

Josh must be feeling terrible and embarrassed with nowhere to hide, i feel for him, his confidence must be really shattered. Does DS continue to play him now? He couldn't surely? Could be a long road back for Josh.

6 minutes ago, gazinOZ said:

Josh must be feeling terrible and embarrassed with nowhere to hide, i feel for him, his confidence must be really shattered. Does DS continue to play him now? He couldn't surely? Could be a long road back for Josh.

I think he needs a loan at a lower level. Highly unlikely he'll recover to offer anything really meaningful this season. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Surfer said:

Well yes, but he missed an open goal against Brighton and that’s the important thing we must focus on Ian.

Those dropped points v Brighton would mean we are not in the bottom 3.

1 hour ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

It doesn't matter what Srbeny's Bundesliga record is, the fact he is playing regularly in the German top league does kind of suggest that he's a bit better than Slowbottom Park standard don't you think?! 

Bundesliga 2 is not the top German League.

2 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

He scored 20 at that level last season

Edited by kirku
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Apologies I misread that from your post. But even so, I reckon the Bundesliga 2 is still probably a bit of a better standard than Slowbottom Park. 

2 minutes ago, kirku said:

He scored 20 at that level last season

Form is temporary but class is permanent.

• Haha 1