TeemuVanBasten

Hope Sargent isn't true.

4 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Hmm, your thread on Camp was actually when Krul was injured as you didn't trust McGovern, who subsequently did fine. I admit that I had reservations too, but Camp was never an upgrade on McGovern.

Rhodes scored more than Hugill but that's because he played more. Hugill's four goals were at a rate of one every 169 minutes, whereas Rhodes' seven were one every 213.

Wilshere was never a goer for many reasons, mainly because we didn't need him, even during our injury crisis.

Well I like to instigate debate don't I wacky, i'd have thought you would have me sussed by now.

I've got a thread calling for Paul Lamberts return, so you can add that to your list if you like. 

But here's my actual opinion my man:

On 12/07/2020 at 23:46, TeemuVanBasten said:

I think its clear by now that the stars just aligned for Lambert and we found ourselves with a great dynamic, partly due to him and his management techniques but also partly due to luck. A Glenn Roeder signing and a Bryan Gunn signing, total cost £1m for both, became our talismen and developed an instant telepathy (he did work wonders getting Chris Martin firing though, not saying this was all luck). Also had the benefit of coming into a club at rock bottom and therefore the full support of the fans, relieved to have finally had a competent manager to get behind (competent probably an adequate description, just felt like Mourinho because of what preceded).

Not playing down what Lambert achieved here, but he has shown quite clearly since leaving that he doesn't have some sort of special natural ability to build a great dressing room dynamic and isn't some sort of magic motivator man. He just got it right here, right man at the right time to suit our circumstances. 

Shame he subsequently believed in his own hype really, it was probably his ego growing larger which ruined his ability to command the respect of a dressing room like that again. 

I did like the way he bigged up his players and got them performing in the Premier League, took players to whole new levels, we had a team which wasn't afraid of anybody or at least we good at not showing it. That's down to him.

But he also had an underlying belief that he couldn't get away with that for another season, keeping us up with a team of mostly Championship level players, we finished the season pretty poor and he felt that he couldn't take us any further.

I still wonder whether he moved to Aston Villa because he actually believed he could improve them while reducing their wage bill or whether he actually joined Aston Villa because he felt that staying here would be more likely to have left a relegation on his CV. The answer is probably neither, it was probably the value of the contract, he does strike me as being a bit of a mercenary.

Grateful for three really enjoyable years and deserves the credit and the legacy, but he didn't find some sort of magic formula that he could replicate everywhere, he just found that he was the perfect fit for this club at that particular time. 

Even if you've blocked someone, how come you can see historic threads and also, quoted posts?

Some things just aren't fair.

3 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Even if you've blocked someone, how come you can see historic threads and also, quoted posts?

Some things just aren't fair.

You don't have the willpower to avoid seeing what this says, and that amuses me.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Uncle Fred said:

Sargent is on course to surpass rvw as our worst ever signing

I’d agree as RVW has his cult status nailed down when he scored that header on his debut only never to score again. Classic Norwich that 

1 minute ago, Danke bitte said:

I’d agree as RVW has his cult status nailed down when he scored that header on his debut only never to score again. Classic Norwich that 

That's not true, 800 of us saw him score again at  Rotherham. That was the day Grabban went awol 

14 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

That's not true, 800 of us saw him score again at  Rotherham. That was the day Grabban went awol 

Ah yes. Wasn’t that a cup game though? 

16 minutes ago, Danke bitte said:

Ah yes. Wasn’t that a cup game though? 

Yes, and we had no choice but to play RVW for 90 minutes as Grabban hopped on a train to London in a strop before kick off, think it was when he wanted that Bournemouth move. 

Sargent is awful. Dont think I've seen a worse striker for us. It's like Ali Dia has done whiteface and slapped on a ginger wig.

What on earth did they see that thought he would be anywhere near Premier League level? Well played Werder Bremen, well played...

Edited by The Great Mass Debater

48 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

He's awful and Idah's ceiling is mediocre Championship squad player.

Im not sure what is happening with Idah. Bizarrely labelled the new Ibrahimovic by Jose Mourinho when still only 17 he seems not to have progressed at all since his emergeance. He's certainly nowhere near Premier League level, and we have to ask which of our players are genuinely Premier League level?

Normann is good enough, Rashica probably, Aarons, arguably Pukki. But the rest are Championship players. Sargent doesnt even look Championship level and Im not sure Idah is either.

9 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Im not sure what is happening with Idah. Bizarrely labelled the new Ibrahimovic by Jose Mourinho when still only 17 he seems not to have progressed at all since his emergeance. He's certainly nowhere near Premier League level, and we have to ask which of our players are genuinely Premier League level?

Normann is good enough, Rashica probably, Aarons, arguably Pukki. But the rest are Championship players. Sargent doesnt even look Championship level and Im not sure Idah is either.

Such a shame that injury and suspension meant he didn't get more game time last year. It's asking so much of him to come in at places like Old Trafford and Spurs and immediately look the part. Almost cruel on him, really - a loan would have been much the better option.

7 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Such a shame that injury and suspension meant he didn't get more game time last year. It's asking so much of him to come in at places like Old Trafford and Spurs and immediately look the part. Almost cruel on him, really - a loan would have been much the better option.

The team thought Idah was an option this year. Probably because it was cheaper than buying a real striker

• Like 1

On 06/08/2021 at 00:39, Hank shoots Skyler said:

The way OP described him I was expecting to see him make 3 left turns to make a right.

Funnily enough, this is exactly what he looks like he tries to do whenever he gets the ball with his back go goal.

I hoped Sargent wasn't true when it was a rumour.

It was true.

I then hoped that he'd prove me wrong.

He hasn't, he's technically very poor with various limitations to his game, one being very one footed. 

On 06/08/2021 at 07:20, Walcombe canary said:

Did Ryan Giggs use his right foot much?

Well can we at least all agree that we haven't signed the new Ryan Giggs?

On 06/08/2021 at 07:29, wcorkcanary said:

Stick to the day job Teemu van Pulpit, the Scouting dept are ok as they are, thanks for the input, Clown.

Hi Corky,

The board can drop me a DM anytime in future to advise whether a signing looks any good or not, I'll work exclusively for them for £60k a year. 

I'm not sure I could have done any worse with £56m this summer. 

2 hours ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

The team thought Idah was an option this year. Probably because it was cheaper than buying a real striker

I’ve been bleating about this since Summer. Why did the noise from the club insist Idah was capable backup in for the Prem when he barely played last season? 

On 06/08/2021 at 21:58, böhr said:

He is a fast player, despite what many in this forum have said, he regularly reaches 31+ km/h which is among the fastest in the Bundesliga.

If Sargent was one of the fastest players in the Bundesliga, then as a club lets please just accept that the Premier League is faster, stronger, more physically demanding, and stop buying players from this inferior league.

• Like 3

On 10/08/2021 at 06:37, wcorkcanary said:

TvB seems to have become  a parody account  Hoggo, read  the bit where ge compares himself  to Chris Sutton and Robbie Savage.  I also love the old " I hope I'm wrong......really? Which is greater his love of city or his love of being right?

I just didn't want to see my club waste sh*t loads of money on a dogsh*t striker again Corky and then rely entirely on Pukki for goals, it didn't work last time and it isn't working this time.

£3.6m Watford paid for Dennis this summer, Wolves signed Hwang on loan. 

We wasted our money, and we're not getting back, and it was so obvious that this was going to be the case. 

19 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I just didn't want to see my club waste sh*t loads of money on a dogsh*t striker again Corky and then rely entirely on Pukki for goals, it didn't work last time and it isn't working this time.

£3.6m Watford paid for Dennis this summer, Wolves signed Hwang on loan. 

We wasted our money, and we're not getting back, and it was so obvious that this was going to be the case. 

It's OK we will sell aarons and cantwell for 40m each in the summer when we go down again

Whether you prove right or wrong on this topic does not justify you making a verdict after watching two YouTube highlight videos, TVB!

Sargent was the driving force behind the win against Southampton and was our liveliest player versus Watford at home. He also had a very poor 45 against Newcastle and other games where he’s had a bit of a stinker. So a couple of good games, a couple of shockers, and mostly in the middle and a bit ‘meh’.

He seems a likeable player, he’s 21/22 trying to adjust to a new league and a new country in a team that is struggling to score goals and a mish mash of new players. It’s hardly surprising that he’s struggled a bit up to now.

But you could level that at all our attacking players struggling apart from Pukki and Rashica, so are they all not good enough or is it that we’re not using them in the right way or they simply aren’t settled around their new team mates yet? I think it’s probably a bit of a mixture of all.

Even Rashica only just started to announce himself after during the Brentford game, before then he was similarly struggling, and he’s not really put in more than a handful of good displays has he?

When a team is playing as we are there are always going to be players struggling. That doesn’t necessarily mean they are bad players, or can’t turn it around.

I guess the main concern is that even in his good games he doesn’t look like he can finish, though at least he appears to have a knack of finding himself in good positions, I can’t recall Rashica having a genuine chance to score yet? 

Overall it’s still very early days in his Norwich career and I think he is one who will be sticking around if we do get relegated.

Find it weird to bump threads like this after a single game or two, it’s not like we’ve mutually terminated his contract have we? Only 3 games ago the whole board was singing the guy’s praises!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Whether you prove right or wrong on this topic does not justify you making a verdict after watching two YouTube highlight videos, TVB!

Find it weird to bump threads like this after a single game or two

Just to respond to these two points... nobody is ever calling anybody out for making a positive judgement on an overseas player based on their good highlights reels, so it should be fair game to point out when it seems that a player hasn't had enough good moments for an impressive showreel to be put together. 

And you can find the bumping as weird as you want, but it was bumped by another poster so you should probably take it up with them.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

I said it before in another thread but he is genuinely the worst footballer I’ve seen in a Norwich shirt since Chris Brown back in 07/08. He wouldn’t start for any team in the Championship, I have no doubt about it.  

Yes he “works hard” but isn’t that the bare minimum for a professional footballer? His first touch is as bad as I’ve seen throughout League 2 to the Prem, his shooting is Sunday League standard, and his passing is what I would expect from one of our U19 players. 

We’ve been conned out of 8 million quid, no question about it. I would rather we had Drmic in the squad than Sargent. I pray we cut our losses in January/Summer, because I don’t think there’s even a good player in there. He won’t get any better than he is at the moment.

I would guess he is a decent finisher in training and his problems are as much mental as technical. It just looks like he gets a massive rush of blood to the head when faced with a goalscoring opportunity in a competitive match. I have no idea if that can be resolved. 

Like others, I'm not sure what the scouts saw in him. It was the same with Naismith - paying good money for an attacker whose record shows they don't score goals. Let's hope it turns out better than that