TeemuVanBasten

Hope Sargent isn't true.

6 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

1 goal every 504 minutes spent on the pitch as a centre forward last season is a pretty appalling statistic I feel? 

Didn't he play on the right wing in a truly terrible Bremen side? Most people will not be scoring a goal a game in this position.

We also have no idea how the club want to use him.

What we have done so far is sign lots of players who can play a number of roles at the top of the pitch. All of which have good physical attributes, that suggests a very open set up with players swapping in and out of positions a lot to me. Could be very wrong on that, but thats how I am reading this window.

6 hours ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

The way OP described him I was expecting to see him make 3 left turns to make a right.

Just like Wes used to....but all with his left.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Its not just pass shoot, its control, dribble. Usually players can at least trap a ball with their weak foot, and will use it to turn. 

A completely one footed dribble is weird. 

And if a player is completely one footed it is far too easy for opposition to just keep showing a player onto their weak foot, this is the best league in the world we are talking about, and showing a player onto their weaker foot is Wroxham level tactics. 

I'm not sure which video you have watched, but I watched the very one you are moaning about and whilst it is predominantly his right foot there are several instances of him trapping and controlling with his left foot.

I'll show you another video of a one footed useless player we signed and had steal a wage from the club...

Strange post this. 

Sargent has decent pedigree whilst still being young and developing. If he manages to score 10 goals next season, you've at least doubled his transfer value straight away. I think this could be a shrewd bit of business.

Clearly different to what we already have, and seems adaptable to different positions. Makes sense to me. Can't all be flair type players... looks like potential fan favourite material to me, a more technical Grant Holt?

7 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

You are moaning now, and I don't give a sh*t what you are sick of. 

I just told you to put me on ignore, not my fault you are too thick to think of doing that is it? 

Why do you flake out so often? You tend to have very divisive, very uncompromising views, sometimes of our better players, then you get all uppity and accuse folks of piling in on you when they disagree. Yet, you really can't be that "thick" to think it's not going to happen when you hold some quite extreme opinions which have little support.

And you don't want people to ignore you, Yobocop is right in that sense. If people ignored you, who would read your posts? All of three or four people maybe?

3 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Strange post this. 

Sargent has decent pedigree whilst still being young and developing. If he manages to score 10 goals next season, you've at least doubled his transfer value straight away. I think this could be a shrewd bit of business.

Clearly different to what we already have, and seems adaptable to different positions. Makes sense to me. Can't all be flair type players... looks like potential fan favourite material to me, a more technical Grant Holt?

He's got a fair amount of pace, he's a real unit - I agree. I think there is a player in there. His finishes remind me a bit of Pukki in that they rarely seem to be pile drivers but more considered, placed finishes. If we accept that Pukki may have a couple of good seasons left in him then it'd be decent to identify someone who can learn from him and be molded into his successor.

With the extra height and strength, Sargent, like Idah, could potentially be that. As I have said before, people go on about 2nd and 3rd choice players - I don't see it like that. Farke has always wanted an array of tools, not just three of the same with one being his favourite. Some flexibility and options. Arguably until last season, we have rarely had that all over the pitch. Yet he has always demanded flexibility and adaptability from players.

I'm a bit underwhelmed by Sargent to be fair, but if Farke and Webber think there is potential there, then they know better than any of us.

He's not breaking the bank either so not a huge risk. Hopefully he does well but we all know that if he doesn't then Farke won't pick him, simples.

Whether he's a replacement for Pukki is too early to say.

3 hours ago, Fuzzar said:

I think the OP is confusing Sargent with his compatriot, Matthew Hoppe. 

Under-appreciated post of the week.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, chicken said:

Why do you flake out so often? You tend to have very divisive, very uncompromising views, sometimes of our better players, then you get all uppity and accuse folks of piling in on you when they disagree. Yet, you really can't be that "thick" to think it's not going to happen when you hold some quite extreme opinions which have little support.

And you don't want people to ignore you, Yobocop is right in that sense. If people ignored you, who would read your posts? All of three or four people maybe?

Is that the PinkUn equivalent of “if a tree falls in the woods and no-one is there, does it make a sound”?

A2937D41-D564-4B33-82F2-B0F69084670D.gif

I look at a striker like Bamford who had three failed premier league loans (Us, Burnley, Palace) and flattered to deceive. Put in the right set up and he's excelled. Webber / Farke have done the research. They know how we will play this season. Trust their judgement. It might just be a good fit.

• Like 1

This one-footed rubbish is making @TeemuVanBasten look a little silly right now. Football is stacked with one-footed players and not just that, Bethnal's pretty much proven him wrong on it anyway. 😂

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Assume you did see Wes play? Not even sure he used his right foot for driving but he did ok ? 

YouTube hoolahan goal vs sweden👀 not bad for a standing foot 🤣

I'm not entirely convinced by this one either , but it's not all bad ! There must be some potential there

45 minutes ago, chicken said:

He's got a fair amount of pace, he's a real unit - I agree.

One of Sargent's weaknesses is that he isn't quick.

I didn't post on here a few years ago, but I dread to think the reaction to Pukki signing 🤷‍♂️

This guy was playing in a demoted German top tier side last year aged 21 and he played in all the attacking positions.

His ball retention is exceptional, he is fast, reasonably tall and offers a threat in the air and he also offers the capability to win turnover ball in very dangerous places. 

This is a player whom Farke could improve. He would be an upgrade on Hugill, has more positional nous than Idah and if we are interested then we would have scouted him properly and know about a weak foot (if he even has one) from having watched him for a lot more than 2 minutes on a YouTube video. 

He could be a very good fit for us as he can play anywhere in the front 4 positions in a 4231.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Thingy said:

One of Sargent's weaknesses is that he isn't quick.

Nah, he is pacy - his top speed in a game has been clocked at 33.5km/h.

A bit like Hanley in that he isn't explosively fast, but once he gets going he is quick.

7 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

I didn't post on here a few years ago, but I dread to think the reaction to Pukki signing 🤷‍♂️

Relatively even handed if you ignore 'River End Canary' which was one of Waveny's many aliases...

8 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Hoping he doesn't sign as there may be better options is not ridiculous.

The £5m spent on Hugill looks like terrible business, we can't afford to get that position wrong again.

Do you actually believe what you write or is it just to try and be a bit edgy? We gained promotion at the first time of asking and won the league and Hugill contributed to that. Seems a bit silly to call that "terrible business".

• Like 2

1 minute ago, king canary said:

Relatively even handed if you ignore 'River End Canary' which was one of Waveny's many aliases...

To be fair there's a few other negative one's in there, but I guess the biggest thing to take from that is most people admitted they hadn't seen much of Pukki, so couldn't really judge fairly.

TvB see's one highlights video and decides the player doesn't have a left foot and starts making weirdly derogatory comments.

Just now, Ian said:

Do you actually believe what you write or is it just to try and be a bit edgy? We gained promotion at the first time of asking and won the league and Hugill contributed to that. Seems a bit silly to call that "terrible business".

Of course it wasn't terrible business. He filled in, scored goals at a great goals-per-minute ratio during a run of games where we had no Pukki or Idah, contributing to the Premier League wealth we inherited. He was well worth the money, in context.

But yes, TvB is quite clearly needing a little attention right now.

5 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

I'm a bit underwhelmed by Sargent to be fair, but if Farke and Webber think there is potential there, then they know better than any of us.

1 minute ago, Wishbone said:

I look at a striker like Bamford who had three failed premier league loans (Us, Burnley, Palace) and flattered to deceive. Put in the right set up and he's excelled. Webber / Farke have done the research. They know how we will play this season. Trust their judgement. It might just be a good fit.

Same thoughts.

I get the OP to a point.. the  part I saw of the highlights reel above made him look L1 mediocre/inconsistent , they are just not very good highlights; even the first line of the soundtrack is “I’m not perfect”.. (odd choice by the marketer or fan who made the video).

The only solution i can think of is … Farke and team think they can coach and improve him to fulfil a role for us. Also reassured by others above who seem to know more about him. 

6 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Nah, he is pacy - his top speed in a game has been clocked at 33.5km/h.

A bit like Hanley in that he isn't explosively fast, but once he gets going he is quick.

A bit like Iwan too. I seem to remember that he regularly had the best pace over distance in preseason. 

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

To be fair there's a few other negative one's in there, but I guess the biggest thing to take from that is most people admitted they hadn't seen much of Pukki, so couldn't really judge fairly.

TvB see's one highlights video and decides the player doesn't have a left foot and starts making weirdly derogatory comments.

He may be a bit strident but he's just as entitled to his opinion as anyone else who likely hasn't watched any Werder Bremen but is talking about how good they think he can be.

I've mentioned before I do find it frustrating that this sort of opinion is dismissed as 'writing a player off before he's kicked a ball' but if he does turn out to be ****e and someone is critical you then get the old 'well I didn't see you complaining when we signed him!' response. 

Personally, from hearing the opinions of people I generally trust, I'm not thrilled by this signing but he'll be given the same chance as everyone else and if Webber rates him then I won't argue.