5 hours ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

So Chase is at the heart of everything that is wrong with NCFC then?............

Indirectly, yes. Directly, no. Fans hounded him out. Then Watling chose Delia as his replacement.

If Watling had chosen Gold or Mansoor, we wouldn't have had this downgrade from top flight to Chumps as the default setting.

Fans are the real enemies of NCFC. Need to get new ones.

4 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Being signed as number three striker to develop when hugill goes is my guess 

Should never sign any player who is no better than what you've already got. Waste of money. Just adding numbers and mediocrity.

I thought the boy Webber said this was what they WOULDN'T do!

37 minutes ago, Herman said:

I would have applauded the guy for having made it as a professional footballer with only one foot. I feel a bit disappointed to find out he actually has two. You've let me down with this news Faded.😥

Have you ever heard of Tom Dempsey? Wrong type of football I know, but still....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Dempsey

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Big Vince said:

Should never sign any player who is no better than what you've already got. Waste of money. Just adding numbers and mediocrity.

Thatust be why we sold Emi then, we couldn't sign anyone better so we had to get rid of him to lower our bar!

Edited by cornish sam

22 minutes ago, Big Vince said:

How many games have you watch Josh Sargent play in? 

You cannot form an opinion (that is accurate) on a YouTube video and a Wikipedia search

While accepting the recruitment two years ago was awful I trust the s outing and recruitment process now, previous **** ups will naturally result in far better due diligence. 

Not a great record but still young and has a good international record.

If Farke and Webber want him then that's generally good enough for me.

8 hours ago, Big Vince said:

15 goals in 86 games for relegated team in Germany.

Is this EPL quality? No.

Is the price tag right for Delia's Norwich? Yes.

Verdict: Championship signing for season commencing 22/23.

Would have been better to hang on to see how Toddwell situation develops before committing to this signing. More money = better targets.

Discuss.

kind of reminds me of Leeds buying Bamford and then sticking with him last season in the prem. All the stats would have had him flopping and eventually being replaced in Jan but he proved that in the right system he is every bit a prem striker, just needed a proper run.

There is no reason Sargent can't emulate that success, he's still only 21 and has time on his side and a load of top level experience. Sounds like he won't break the bank at somewhere between £5m and £8m. If you go English, that money gets you Sam Surridge (just moved from Bournemouth to Stoke for £5.5m).

Sure he isn't the most prolific but there's far more to it than that for a target man these days. He's a clear upgrade on Hugill for sure. If that allows us to go big on an absolute tank in the midfield then so be it.

You aren't going to get a proven prem striker for anything short of £25m+ and/or £80k a week so we have to make our own. Luckily we've already made 1 and have now have at least 2 potential prospects able to deputise if Pukkis toe flares up again!

2 hours ago, Big Vince said:

You're not wrong! Enjoy your trip south down the A140.

2 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Being signed as number three striker to develop when hugill goes is my guess 

We're not paying a fee of around £10m for a third choice striker.

My expectation is he'll probably play 2 or 3 positions this season, sometimes out wide, sometimes upfront. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Big Vince said:

Indirectly, yes. Directly, no. Fans hounded him out. Then Watling chose Delia as his replacement.

If Watling had chosen Gold or Mansoor, we wouldn't have had this downgrade from top flight to Chumps as the default setting.

Funniest thing I have heard in a long time!!...........

4 hours ago, Big Vince said:

and you are the first to go on the transfer list

I actually quite like the look of Sargent.

He looks like he'll be able to play anywhere across the front positions. From what I've seen of him and Hugill, he's obviously an upgrade already - let alone what magic the coaching team can weave on him.

4 hours ago, Tetteys Jig said:

kind of reminds me of Leeds buying Bamford and then sticking with him last season in the prem. All the stats would have had him flopping and eventually being replaced in Jan but he proved that in the right system he is every bit a prem striker, just needed a proper run.

There is no reason Sargent can't emulate that success, he's still only 21 and has time on his side and a load of top level experience. Sounds like he won't break the bank at somewhere between £5m and £8m. If you go English, that money gets you Sam Surridge (just moved from Bournemouth to Stoke for £5.5m).

Sure he isn't the most prolific but there's far more to it than that for a target man these days. He's a clear upgrade on Hugill for sure. If that allows us to go big on an absolute tank in the midfield then so be it.

You aren't going to get a proven prem striker for anything short of £25m+ and/or £80k a week so we have to make our own. Luckily we've already made 1 and have now have at least 2 potential prospects able to deputise if Pukkis toe flares up again!

If you sign a striker it is all about the goals because that is what he is there to do. Other players in other positions do the running around and making a nuisance of themselves. £10 million is one quarter of the boy Abraham. Would a quarter Abraham do better than 1:6? Discuss.

6 hours ago, cornish sam said:

Thatust be why we sold Emi then, we couldn't sign anyone better so we had to get rid of him to lower our bar!

Delia sold Emiliano because she had been gagging to do so for some while - keeps the self-funding model ticking over nicely.

In fact, the boys Webber and Farke are simply her agents in doing this; as well as the academy. This is why NCFC will always fall well short of national honours because the model is there to keep the owners in situ, not to deliver domestic silverware.

Full disclosure. I am American and I have seen him play probably 40 times for Werder Bremen (couldnt stomach much more). Obviously his goal scoring numbers are not what you would want for someone with that many appearances at that "striker" position. Now I say "striker" because he often would play off the right despite being designated up top. Usually Fullkrug, Osaka, etc would play more central. 

Sargent, outside of the goals, has been in the top percentile in about everything else in Bundesliga play compared to his striker counterparts although at times its like he was a false 9 playing the role of a  6. His work rate is strong, his passing is solid although Bremen were VERY bad so it wont show in assist numbers. He is a workmanlike player. What he needs to find is his goal scoring prowess. This is his manager till this season as of January of last year. 

“I don’t know if it’ll take one year or half a year or two weeks, I’m not sure and I can’t say,”  Kohfeldt said “But if he stays like this – he is very, very calm in the locker room and he is focused, and on the pitch he’s full of energy – he will one day be one of the league’s top strikers, I’m completely sure.”

He has been rumored to almost every team in the German top flight outside of Dortmund. Even Bayern had been rumored as they were looking for someone to do a job (hence Choupo Moting) if Lewandowski's stead. 

Can I say for certainty he has what it takes, nope. He needs to find the back of the net. If he was your go to guy right away would I be worried about that kind of pressure...100%. I think competing with Pukki, among others, will greatly benefit him and the club because his others facets of his game will push those around him. I do expect he would play some role early,  and tactically he does make sense for you guys coming back to the top flight. 

As someone who wants Sargent to succeed for reasons based around International play and to see him improve, Im intrigued by this move. He is likely the starting #9 for the US ahead of Darryl Dike and others. I think also its a smart play to hedge bets in case the season doesnt go the way you like. I think he would do a very good job in the Championship if it came to it (hopefully it doesnt of course). 

The one thing I will say in his defense on the goal scoring. Living off scraps in terms of what he was offered would be putting the brightest lipstick on the biggest pig with what he often had to work with Bremen. The only guy I found remarkable was Rashica but he was inconsistent at times and injured at other times. 

Best of luck. I do expect his work rate will be appreciated to begin with. Of course, given the nature of the beast, his ability to progress and find a better return rate on goals will be the key to his success assuming he does end up with you guys. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

24 minutes ago, DirtyDishFC said:

The only guy I found remarkable was Rashica

Thanks for this insight DDFC! Really interesting; definitely is helpful in explaining why he hasn't perhaps delivered the goal and assist returns you would hope a striker to do. Hopefully Farke and the squad can help take him to the next level!

Also like this quote - as we have bought him as well! 😂

28 minutes ago, DirtyDishFC said:

Full disclosure. I am American and I have seen him play probably 40 times for Werder Bremen (couldnt stomach much more). Obviously his goal scoring numbers are not what you would want for someone with that many appearances at that "striker" position. Now I say "striker" because he often would play off the right despite being designated up top. Usually Fullkrug, Osaka, etc would play more central. 

Sargent, outside of the goals, has been in the top percentile in about everything else in Bundesliga play compared to his striker counterparts although at times its like he was a false 9 playing the role of a  6. His work rate is strong, his passing is solid although Bremen were VERY bad so it wont show in assist numbers. He is a workmanlike player. What he needs to find is his goal scoring prowess. This is his manager till this season as of January of last year. 

“I don’t know if it’ll take one year or half a year or two weeks, I’m not sure and I can’t say,”  Kohfeldt said “But if he stays like this – he is very, very calm in the locker room and he is focused, and on the pitch he’s full of energy – he will one day be one of the league’s top strikers, I’m completely sure.”

He has been rumored to almost every team in the German top flight outside of Dortmund. Even Bayern had been rumored as they were looking for someone to do a job (hence Choupo Moting) if Lewandowski's stead. 

Can I say for certainty he has what it takes, nope. He needs to find the back of the net. If he was your go to guy right away would I be worried about that kind of pressure...100%. I think competing with Pukki, among others, will greatly benefit him and the club because his others facets of his game will push those around him. I do expect he would play some role early,  and tactically he does make sense for you guys coming back to the top flight. 

As someone who wants Sargent to succeed for reasons based around International play and to see him improve, Im intrigued by this move. He is likely the starting #9 for the US ahead of Darryl Dike and others. I think also its a smart play to hedge bets in case the season doesnt go the way you like. I think he would do a very good job in the Championship if it came to it (hopefully it doesnt of course). 

The one thing I will say in his defense on the goal scoring. Living off scraps in terms of what he was offered would be putting the brightest lipstick on the biggest pig with what he often had to work with Bremen. The only guy I found remarkable was Rashica but he was inconsistent at times and injured at other times. 

Best of luck. I do expect his work rate will be appreciated to begin with. Of course, given the nature of the beast, his ability to progress and find a better return rate on goals will be the key to his success assuming he does end up with you guys. 

Out of interest, why were Bremen struggling that badly? Obviously they weren't remotely the force they were under Otto Rehhagel but is it finance that's gradually made them one of the weaker sides in the Bundesliga nowadays?

Although I suppose the northern derby with Hamburg is on again, just in the 2. Bundesliga.

30 minutes ago, DirtyDishFC said:

Thank you DirtyDishFC. We need more of this! Welcome back anytime.

3 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Out of interest, why were Bremen struggling that badly? Obviously they weren't remotely the force they were under Otto Rehhagel but is it finance that's gradually made them one of the weaker sides in the Bundesliga nowadays?

Although I suppose the northern derby with Hamburg is on again, just in the 2. Bundesliga.

Yeah I think the financial issues the club has been faced with over the last few years and they began to focus too much defensively. A couple years back they were almost relegated but they did find themselves in a lot of high scoring affairs. I think their manager focused too much on pragmatism and the chance creation just dried up. Some key injuries didnt help. It was a long time coming for their relegation. 

They are the type of club like a Villa who could probably turn it around quickly, but sometimes you have to lose some guys you dont want to lose. If push came to shove Im sure they would like to keep Sargent, and part of me wonders if scoring a bunch of goals in the 2nd division wouldnt be the worst thing for him as a player. At the same time finances are an issue for practically every club that doesnt have a tycoon running them willing to eat the losses that COVID has brought. 

I think they lost their identity along the way, so a reset in expectations is probably good for them. 

2 minutes ago, DirtyDishFC said:

Yeah I think the financial issues the club has been faced with over the last few years and they began to focus too much defensively. A couple years back they were almost relegated but they did find themselves in a lot of high scoring affairs. I think their manager focused too much on pragmatism and the chance creation just dried up. Some key injuries didnt help. It was a long time coming for their relegation. 

They are the type of club like a Villa who could probably turn it around quickly, but sometimes you have to lose some guys you dont want to lose. If push came to shove Im sure they would like to keep Sargent, and part of me wonders if scoring a bunch of goals in the 2nd division wouldnt be the worst thing for him as a player. At the same time finances are an issue for practically every club that doesnt have a tycoon running them willing to eat the losses that COVID has brought. 

I think they lost their identity along the way, so a reset in expectations is probably good for them. 

It's usually fun in the 2. Bundesliga - which in some ways is very similar indeed to the Championship over here in terms of being very competitive and open, just with fewer games during the course of the season.

Agree that you'd think Bremen should have enough about them to get back relatively quickly, provided they get their finances in order. That said, Hamburg are lining up for their fourth season in a row in there after managing to finish 4th in the previous three seasons. Gotta admit, I'd like to see Dresden pull it off, but it's unlikely.

57 minutes ago, Big Vince said:

Delia sold Emiliano because she had been gagging to do so for some while - keeps the self-funding model ticking over nicely.

In fact, the boys Webber and Farke are simply her agents in doing this; as well as the academy. This is why NCFC will always fall well short of national honours because the model is there to keep the owners in situ, not to deliver domestic silverware.

Buendia's sale does indeed keep the self-funding model ticking over nicely and has enabled us to strengthen the squad considerably. So that's working.

Let's hope Delia invites Webber and Farke over for dinner regularly to compensate them for ruining their careers by acting as her agents.

Contrary to your claims, the self-funding model has been so successful at ensuring our financial stability and improving our playing squad, that the club has probably never looked more enticing to someone wanting to take over and improve a thriving business.  By contrast, it is less attractive to someone someone wanting to exploit a cheap buy to strip off all the assets.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Buendia's sale does indeed keep the self-funding model ticking over nicely and has enabled us to strengthen the squad considerably. So that's working.

Let's hope Delia invites Webber and Farke over for dinner regularly to compensate them for ruining their careers by acting as her agents.

Contrary to your claims, the self-funding model has been so successful at ensuring our financial stability and improving our playing squad, that the club has probably never looked more enticing to someone wanting to take over and improve a thriving business.  By contrast, it is less attractive to someone someone wanting to exploit a cheap buy to strip off all the assets.

If the self-funding model has been so successful then why is our default setting still in the Championship and not the EPL?

The self-funding model is a hindrance at the top level and Farke has mentioned it over and over both last time and this time.

Comes back to what I say about fans being the enemies of the club. Fans are content to be Championship and so they get a board that runs it as a Championship outfit. 

The American fellow makes my point perfectly. Sargent has got 22/23 Championship written all over him.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Big Vince said:

If the self-funding model has been so successful then why is our default setting still in the Championship and not the EPL?

It isn't! The self-funding model turned us from a mid-table championship side into one that has won promotion twice as champions. The default setting at present is, as has been stated, to be a "top 26 team". As the model develops that will hopefully change to "established PL team". Find us a beneficent billionaire willing to pump hundreds of millions into the club and I'll snap your hand off, but as things stand the current model is the only viable model available, and what a great success we have had with it.. 

The self-funding model is a hindrance at the top level and Farke has mentioned it over and over both last time and this time.

Yet strangely he has just signed a new contract.  I have never heard him use the word "hinderance" although I have certainly heard him accept that the realities of the self-funding model present challenges not faced by clubs with billionaire owners happy to splash the cash. What I do hear him say "over and over again" is that it is a privilege to work for this wonderful club.

Comes back to what I say about fans being the enemies of the club. Fans are content to be Championship and so they get a board that runs it as a Championship outfit. 

Sure! Every day I read on here posters proclaiming that the championship is their only realistic aspiration for the club. There's no evidence at all that the board has an aspiration to cement our place in the PL...that is, if you exclude the minor detail that two of the last three seasons (including the current) will have been spent in the PL and not the championship.

33 minutes ago, Big Vince said:

The American fellow makes my point perfectly. Sargent has got 22/23 Championship written all over him.

Bore off you mug. People moan about signing amd then not signing players.

2 hours ago, Big Vince said:

If you sign a striker it is all about the goals because that is what he is there to do. Other players in other positions do the running around and making a nuisance of themselves. £10 million is one quarter of the boy Abraham. Would a quarter Abraham do better than 1:6? Discuss.

I'm sure Cantona only ever got 14 goals maximum one season... sure its an important part but there is so much more to it than that. Maybe he'll tee Lees-Melou up for a few howitzers